Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 16th March 2012, 10:45   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down Tata Motors & Prerna Motors New Car Buying Experience

I write to share my new car buying experience with TATA Motors and to ensure that no one else goes through the ordeal i went to in buying a new Indica Vista Quadrajet LS car. The experience has been horrifying, and it was sad to see the fraudulent and malpractices that Prerna Motors can resort to while selling a new car to the Customer.

In the past 10 days I have had 3 bad experiences with Prerna motors and currently i do not have any faith or trust left in them or TATA Motors with the kind of experience i have had.

First Experience : -

I took a test drive of Vista Quadrajet on 3rd March 2012 and post that wanted to see the actual model of the car and then book the same. I was informed that Prerna Motors in their Lalbagh showroom has the same model for delivery and I can go and see the same. I called Prashant from Prerna motors and post confirmation I left my house to see the vehicle. Post reaching there and waiting for 15 minutes for Prashant to turn up once he took us to see the car he was surprised and was searching for the same in the showroom. This continued for 10 minutes. Post that he comes up and says that they do not have the car as it has been delivered 15 minutes back and he was not aware of the same. This really made me furious as you don’t ask a customer to drive down all the way from HSR Layout to Lalbagh in the middle of the afternoon and then say that the car is not there sorry. It is like raising orphan children where you don’t know who the parents are and from where they have come. After having a heated discussion I walked off as we wasted 3 hours of me and my family on a Saturday afternoon just because of callousness and laxity of the staff of Prerna Motors Lalbagh.

Post this I told the sales representative Mr Ravi from Prerna Motors, to call me only when he gets the car in the yard and I will book it post seeing the actual model which I plan to buy. As I was buying the LS version and it was not on display anywhere.

Second Experience : -

Ravi the sales representative came to my house on 9th March and I traveled 65 km with him to Neelmangla to check out the model I wanted in the yard. On reaching the yard I met Mr Prabhakar the yard manager.
We went to inspect the car and I found that the rear bumper was scratched badly on the right had rear side and paint had come off. I highlighted and showed the same to Mr Ravi & Prabhakar who told me that sir do not worry I will personally do the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection for your car and would replace the bumper ) he also told me he runs the entire place and he is the yard manager and he handles over 600 cars which are there. He inspired great confidence in me. I told him to change the bumper and put a new one and ensure that the car is in tip top shape as I will do through inspection of the vehicle post delivery. He said he would not give me any reason to complaint. I told him to ensure that everything was fine as i would do a thorough check of the car during delivery and would not accept if i find it not up to the mark.

Post that I gave cheques on 9th March and booked the car. After that couple of times between 12th & 13th March I reconfirmed with Ravi if PDI has done and the bumper has been changed to which I was assured Prabhakar has done the job and they would not give me any reason for complaint.

Third Experience : -

On morning of 14th March I set out with Ravi who was kind enough to take us to Lallbagh from Sarjapur road to take delivery of the car. After doing most of the paperwork when I went down to check the car out I got the shock of my life. I will document in bullets the condition of the new car that was being sold to me : -

- Bumper was repainted on the right side with a patch. The painter had done such an excellent job that there were paint marks even on the rear right wheel covers.

- The right side read door panel had a chip in the inside plastic and it was broken.
- Left side door panel had a dent with the paint chipped off.
- Right side driver door had marks and stains near the driver side from outside.
- Interiors door panels were dirty with black marks and were stained.

As soon as I raised the concerns there were people cleaning the car , trying to polish and getting rid of the marks. But nothing changed and when I asked the delivery person in charge he was clueless to what was happening.

This happened for some 40 to 50 minutes and post which I said I want to talk to the head of Prerna Motors in the showroom. Then Mr Sai Kumar came down and he started justifying that while getting the car from the yard stone can hit and dent can come. Along with other excuses which were false and baseless. I told him I don’t want this car and I returned the papers and documents.

He asked me to come up to his office as they would like to talk. I went up to his office and sat down there with my family what happened next was disgusting and shocking . He called the sales representative in and a blame game started in front of me. Mr. Sai Kumar instead of taking ownership and accountability of the issue started to pass around the buck to other people. My family felt as if we were watching a matinee show. The conversation went on and on and reached to a point where he was asking the sales rep to put the papers down and go. Even though it was not his fault as it’s not his job to check the car.

I told Mr Sai Kumar that Prabhakar is the one who should be fired as he knew it very clearly how specific I was with respect to the condition of the car.
But Mr Sai Kumar was not interested much in talking about the same and was trying to play this down by putting the blame on the sales rep. After I clearly told him that the sales rep Ravi was not at fault. He told me sir Prabhakar had a meeting so he was not able to inspect the car and he delegated the job to someone else.

I felt how convenient it is for him to say this, after knowing and clearly specifying what needs to be done. They repainted the bumper and tried to sell of the car to me. If I was not aware of where to look and see probably they would have sold off the lemon to me and later on I would have had a tough time.

After spending more than an hour and listening to this drama I told Mr Sai I want a letter in writing from Prerna Motors that all my payment is done and even if the price of the cars go up post budget I would get the vehicle at the same price as I am not at fault here and I would not pay a penny extra. He agreed and said I would get the letter from Sarjapur Prerna motors branch so I left with Ravi for the same.

Post this I met Mr R. Sridhar the Divisional Sales Manager of Prerna Motors and he requested to give them another chance and he would change and replace whatever that is faulty. Along with this he also offered me 20k worth of accessories. If I agree to take the same car , I told him its already been 6 hours that I have been at this. Adding another 6 hours for the Yard and another 3 for the first visit to Lallbagh. So after spending 15 man hours and time I am frustrated and want to go home as I was getting late for work and it was already 3 in the afternoon. He said he would drop me an email and I could reply back whatever I want on the same and they would take care.

I left for home went to office post which when i got the email from Prerna motors i was shocked the accessories offered were not even close to 14k. I wrote back the next day to them with what i wanted and as they wanted everything in email. I narrated my whole experience in the email trail below. The response i got was a No on the phone and to wait for a new car for 10 more days this is when i had paid cash down for a new vehicle.

Post this i called many people in Tata Motors and also dropped an email to Girish Prasad who is the head of the customer division but in the end i got only Mr Prasad calling me and running through the whole story again. Post which i was frustrated and upset as Tata Motors is not bothered about the quality of work they are doing,but are more interested in keeping such things under the rug. They are not ready to take ownership and accountability of the situation the response i got is i am sorry we have given feedback to dealer and new car will come on 26th March with the same accessories i was getting before but no answer to my below questions : -

1. What does the statement new car means to TATA ?
2. What is the quality control TATA has on the vehicles they sell ?
3. Swindling customers by selling them cars with repainted bumpers and broken parts is this the standard of your company
4. In spite of pointing the issues out still your dealers go ahead and try to take advantage of a customer.
5. What action is the company taking against Prabhakar who is the stock yard in charge ?
6 Is this a way of handling customers and this is Tata's reliable customer service ?
7. I paid my hard earned money to buy a TATA Car not to watch a matinee show which me and my family went through on 14th March at Prerna motors Lalbagh office with Sai Kumar. Is this the way Tata handles and manages goof ups and issues.

I write to you expecting some action on the same and to make others aware of these fraudulent practices. As no one should have a similar experience after paying hard earned money cash down for a vehicle. Please publish this and make others aware of the service and quality that Tata Motors claims and provides to a loyal customer who just sold his 9 1/2 years old Indica V2.

I am providing you the list of people i have spoken to .

1. Mr R. Sridhar Divisional Manager Sales -Sarjapur Prerna Motors -

2. Mr Ravi Sales Rep Sarjapur Prerna Motors :

3. Mr Sai Kumar - In charge of Delivery Lalbagh Prerna Motors

Other people CC in this email are Mr Prasad from Tata Motors & Mr Girish the head of customer support division of Tata Motors in India.

If required i can provide you the vehicle chassis no, engine no and other details.

I have posted a blog on this on : -

My Worls: Tata Motors & Prerna Motors New Car Buying Experience

Will be updating and posting the same on Facebook,Twitter and all other networking and social media sites.

I need to create awareness on this and want to thank Team Bhp and PDI checklist which saved me from buying this car.

Currently i am waiting further updates from the dealer and then would be going for a full refund.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th March 2012 at 18:32. Reason: Posting personal details (mobile numbers) is not advisable.
Dushie is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 11:54   #2
BHPian

Default re: Tata Motors & Prerna Motors New Car Buying Experience

My sincere sympathies with you for the whole experience. I also own the Tata Vista Quadrajet since close to 4 years now and have had a couple of bad experiences. However unfortunately for you bad experiences with Tata Motors has started even before you have got your car. Just wish that things get better and you are able to enjoy your drive.
Just one observation: When you went to see the car at the yard and saw the defects you should have rejected it right away. The whole point in going to the yard is that we inspect the car before registration so we can reject it without any issues. Wish you had done that and saved all this trouble. Please take this in a negative sense.
My best with you.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeals friend.

Yet another horror story from TATA. What is appalling here is that, even after you contacted the higher ups, you did not get any reply nor were you provided any relief. When will they learn? After they shut shops?

This is the reason why many bash TATA, Fiat & Skoda & then loyalists claim that why is their brand the soft target always!
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Write an email to coffice@tata.com and debajit.roy@tatamotors.com and see the magic. I got my total labor amount refunded in a shoddy job by one of the TASS.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dushie, sad to see what happened with you, sent you a PM with contact details of the person who handled my case, just call him.

Infact your story reminds me of what happenend to me some 6 months back, i thought the dealership had learnt its lesson but i guess not. And what is even more striking is that my sale was also done from the Sarjapur Road branch. I think they should close that out or change the mangement totally. You can read about my case here Tata Manza:: The Story Continues:: 10,000 kms Update

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th March 2012 at 12:17.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:32   #6
BHPian

Man, put your foot down and ask for a complete refund! If they cant get it right the first time, they will never get it right anytime! There are far better products from other manufacturers in the market today, get going with any of those, than waste all your energy and time behind these folks who are hell bent on redefining the term 'Customer is King'
vinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Write an email to coffice@tata.com and debajit.roy@tatamotors.com and see the magic. I got my total labor amount refunded in a shoddy job by one of the TASS.
Thanks for the information. I have written to Ratan Tata and also tweeted on his account on Twitter. I am looking forward to a response from them.

@Maverick1977 : The only reason i accepted the car at that time was on assurance they would give a new bumper as the existing one had a scratch. The rest of the car was fine at that time and did not have any issues.

@motomaverick : Thanks i got the details will hold on to them. As of not Sridhar has asked me to wait and he is going to respond back to me.As Prerna motors is in a soup. The car is already registered in my name 2 days back. The road tax has been paid and all the paperwork has been done.

The RTO is not ready to refund them the complete road tax and are putting some surcharge on the same. Hence they are stuck with that vehicle now.

As they would need to refund my complete amount including RTO and registration charges. So let's see what they come back with.

Worse part is i like the car and do want to go for the same. But some action should be taken for lack of ownership and behavior of the Lalbagh Delivery manager and the Yard manager Prabhakar as such shady job is not accepted.

Last edited by Dushie : 16th March 2012 at 12:45.
Dushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Thanks for the information. I have written to Ratan Tata and also tweeted on his account on Twitter. I am looking forward to a response from them.

@Maverick1977 : The only reason i accepted the car at that time was on assurance they would give a new bumper as the existing one had a scratch. The rest of the car was fine at that time and did not have any issues.

@motomaverick : Thanks i got the details will hold on to them. As of not Sridhar has asked me to wait and he is going to respond back to me.As Prerna motors is in a soup. The car is already registered in my name 2 days back. The road tax has been paid and all the paperwork has been done.

The RTO is not ready to refund them the complete road tax and are putting some surcharge on the same. Hence they are stuck with that vehicle now.

As they would need to refund my complete amount including RTO and registration charges. So let's see what they come back with.

Worse part is i like the car and do want to go for the same. But some action should be taken for lack of ownership and behavior of the Lalbagh Delivery manager and the Yard manager Prabhakar as such shady job is not accepted.
Great, lets hope something good comes out of the same, even in my case they must have suffered with the road tax etc as the earlier chasis was registered in my name but they had to change it. The best part out of all this is when you go for service, your car will be looked after in a speciall manner as they will know all the history

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th March 2012 at 12:58.
Old 16th March 2012, 15:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is not the first time i have been hearing stories like these about Prerna, that's one of the reasons folks either move to Concorde (Which has too many customers) or move to KHT (New kid on the block).

When i went to them for test drive they were ready to give me a test drive of a car that was getting ready to be delivered to a customer. Speaks volumes about their customer treatment.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 23:59   #10
BHPian

@ Dushie , Sorry to hear about the incident..

I too have recently(11-Feb-12) bought my Manza from Lalbagh showroom and my experience with them was not bad , even for me they took me to their Neelamangla stock yard to inspect my car and it was in good shape.

Same Mr. Prabhakar has assured me that he will do PDI personally and I didnt find anything wrong during delivery or during PDI(Team -bhp Checklist). Mr.Vinay ( SA) was my sales rep who was reasonably good and didnt over promise anything which he cant good.

Overall you will not get great feeling if you are in prerana Motors but I felt Prerana was compartively good when compared to Concorde or KHT motors ( which is next to my house) my rating would be 7 or 8/10 depends on the criteria.

Recently I have done my first service at their OMR service which was also not bad, there were some complaints which they attended and recitified.

Probably you can speak to Vinay @ Lalbagh showroom if you wish to proceed further with them. I can PM you his number.
soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 22:04   #11
BHPian

Though would update on the current status .

Guess writing a email to Ratan Tata did the magic. Lot of mails went around and things got serious. I am getting a brand new bumper and a brand new panel in my car. Only thing is i need to wait for a few days as fresh stock of cars would arrive by next weekend.

Once that happens , they would take the bumper out of the new car and also the right door inside rear panel and put it on my car. Along with this they are also giving a letter stating that the rear left door has a small dent which was pre delivery and anytime during the next 4 years whenever i want i can get it repainted no questions asked.

Also big change in the behavior of Prerna motors. When i went there on Saturday , had full attention. Also the Area Manager for Tata Motors came down personally to talk and apologies also to take feedback.He said that they are coming up with some new changed where they would evaluate and take feedback on new car buying experience directly from customers through phone to address any issues.

As of now waiting for my car to be delivered either on Monday evening or Tuesday morning with Central Locking & Seat covers done complimentary from their side.Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping all goes well now.I also spoke to them about Hirak's manza incident and they still remember it very well. Guess such incidents make them wake up and realize that they cant take every customer for granted.

Will update once i get my new car home.
Dushie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 10:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping all goes well now.I also spoke to them about Hirak's manza incident and they still remember it very well. Guess such incidents make them wake up and realize that they cant take every customer for granted.

Will update once i get my new car home.
Congrats. So finally everything seems to have been sorted, why didnt you demand for a new vehicle itself, you are paying money for a new car why take something which already has replaced parts and dent, just thinking aloud.

Yeah they & my family will never forget that evening, the entire showroom was brought down to its knees, poor Mr. Saikumar bore the burnt. Imagine coming for a new car and going back in an auto in heavy rains.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:29   #13
BHPian

Thanks Hirak, well i would need to wait for another week to 10 days for a new car. I do not have the patience to wait for the same.Secondly would need to go through the whole process again of PDI and stuff. Thirdly i have inspected this car so many times and with so much detail so was ok with going for the same. It's already been registered to my name also i had got the insurance done.

Also i wanted Brdigestone tyres as most of the cars coming now are with Goodyear, which i don't find to be that good. My previous Indica V2 also had bridge stone and they were good.Somehow i have attachment to this car now with the ordeal i have gone through. It's similar to getting a newborn child in your family.

Plus, they are giving me complementary accessories with the car. Along with a new bumper, rear door panel and letter for the door dent.

The only thing i find interesting is that once they get the next stock of vehicles next week. They will take out a new bumper and rear door panel from that car and would fit the same in mine at the workshop. Interesting question is What will they do with the current one that they take out ?

I want to thank you for all your inputs and teambhp for all the support and knowledge i got from here. Without this god knows how things would have trended.

Last edited by Dushie : 19th March 2012 at 10:31.
Dushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 10:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Hirak, well i would need to wait for another week to 10 days for a new car. I do not have the patience to wait for the same.Secondly would need to go through the whole process again of PDI and stuff. Thirdly i have inspected this car so many times and with so much detail so was ok with going for the same. It's already been registered to my name also i had got the insurance done.

Also i wanted Brdigestone tyres as most of the cars coming now are with Goodyear, which i don't find to be that good. My previous Indica V2 also had bridge stone and they were good.Somehow i have attachment to this car now with the ordeal i have gone through. It's similar to getting a newborn child in your family.

Plus, they are giving me complementary accessories with the car. Along with a new bumper, rear door panel and letter for the door dent.

The only thing i find interesting is that once they get the next stock of vehicles next week. They will take out a new bumper and rear door panel from that car and would fit the same in mine at the workshop. Interesting question is What will they do with the current one that they take out ?

I want to thank you for all your inputs and teambhp for all the support and knowledge i got from here. Without this god knows how things would have trended.
Fair enough, yes, you certainly get attached to the first car you choose in the lot,

Actually there aren't many people who go to the stockyard and choose a vehicle, and also not many people have PDI checklist in fact no one has a PDI except for guys from Tbhp, so it will be easier for them to dispose off those damaged parts to an unsuspecting customer. I am sure the first car allotted to me went to such an unsuspecting customer, though nothing may be wrong with the car.

Actually this incident coupled with a few others should hopefully wake these Prerana Motors Sales guys. With more and more good vehicles from the Tata stable coming in they really need to get their act together.

Last edited by motomaverick : 19th March 2012 at 10:58.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:50   #15
BHPian

Dushie, well alls well that ends well. Hope you get your new car in pristine condition. I am sure you will enjoy the car. Apart from the experience which the dealership gave, you will love the car.

Because of these lousy dealers, the brand name is getting impacted.

I am sure you, 6 months down the line you too like Hirak and myself will say "I made a wise decision".
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote