Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 13th April 2012, 17:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Incredibly shoddy work & damage by MASS (Chowgule Industries)

^^^Unfortunately the issue is still dragging on; despite 1.5 - 2 months passing.

Let me summarize very briefly - after complaining to MSIL, the dealer's Customer Care Manager along with their SA, driver, BS Manager paid a home visit, took the car away after detailed inspection and also gave me a loaner car. They even did some complimentary work on the car. They gave the car for "headlamp restoration" (they don't do it themselves). I must say that the headlamps now look almost new... so now they are in a better condition than they were before they messed them up. Thats the good part.

Now for the bad part. They have cleaned up the windscreen mess fairly well, but at delivery time I immediately noticed scratches on the windscreen. Now at least 3 of these scratches are deep enough to be able to run your fingernail over them. So I don't believe they can be caused due to the sandpapering. They are not ready to accept that they have damaged it. In fact I got the same offer that you got from your dealer! The windshield did not have a single scratch in all these years. Have used only water (with car shampoo) and sponge to clean it). Its not remotely possible for somebody like me to not notice such scratches and that too on the drivers side! In fact they would drive me nuts every time I'm in the car. Anyway, they are not ready to accept this part, and I need to pursue this issue. Why should insurance company and customer pay for their damage? Also, given their track record, I fear they may cause some other damage or do shoddy work with the windscreen replacing too.

The worst part is that they are not admitting that any damage has occurred at their end. Even the paint damage on the newly painted panels is being called as paint defect and not damage. Other work done is being called "goodwill", which they do to satisfy the customer. I don't know if they are saying this for diplomatic reasons, but if not then the direct result of this is that they are absolving themselves of the damage caused and the shabby work and will do nothing to address these serious issues which would ensure that such complaints do not reoccur and they can offer better quality of work for everybody. Sigh!

Few other issues remain to be resolved. For eg. the ORVM was fitted wrongly, and due to the incorrect fitment the base has bent permanently and no longer mates with the body even after fixing it right. Inner door trim is messed up. Discovered that the coolant level is slightly below the min. mark (had asked them to flush radiator and replace coolant) etc., etc. Gawd, I wonder then this is going to end...

@dhrupadh, If you are sure that they caused the scratches, I would suggest you escalate your issue by writing to MSIL. You should do this without delay, as they may use the delay against you by saying that the damage occurred after delivery or something similar. Its not morally right to make the insurance company pay for their shabbiness. Moreover, they would actually profit by causing those scractches. More claims means higher premiums for customers. You would also loose your NCB (if applicable).

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th April 2012 at 17:32.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 14:20   #17
BHPian

I am a bit lost as to why they are touching other areas of the car (mirrors, door etc) when the primary problem is with the windshield and headlights. Maybe its time to call your local journal / newspaper and tell them this story. You never know how many others are probably suffering the same fate at the hands of these morons.

Good luck!
Mad Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 16:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^^I guess because its a pretty long story now, you haen't gone thru it chronologically.

The car was originally given to their body shop for painting/denting work. Work was to be done on only 3 panels. What has been following is a huge long mess of damaging, shoddy work and what not. The windshield and headlamp issue has emerged as they seem to have accidentally or otherwise sprayed something there. When the mess was pointed out, they rubbed polish/sand paper of fine grit on it. And besides the micro scratches which the sandpaper created there are also deeper scratches (which could not have been caused by sandpaper of fine grit). Haven't the foggiest idea how they managed such superlative work. And thats the main bone of contention along with several other issues and damages from front to back.

Hope that summarizes it very briefly.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote