Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 24th April 2012, 16:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Cheats - Kothari Wheels, Viman Nagar, Pune

Maruti is known to provide one of the best dealership experiences, but once in a while you do come across certain people waiting to ruin things for you. One such example is at Kothari Wheels, the Maruti dealership at Viman Nagar.

This is my friends experience of trying to book an A star automatic. I was not present when this happened, so I'm going to pen down the outline of what happened and how they tried to cheat them.

So my friend needed a small automatic. As there are only two choices in the market it was either the A star or the i10. She was going to use the car only in the city and the back seats were hardly going to be used. Anyway, taking everything into consideration, I suggested the A star and Kothari Wheels being the closest showroom, they went there.

Right from the first enquiry, the SA.. a guy named Abhishek & his boss Rajesh Yadav saw this as an opportunity to pass on a 2011 A star auto that they had in stock. Initially they tried selling it saying they would get it at pre excise rates and that the whole amount has to be paid immediately, blah blah. Not once was it mentioned that it was a 2011 car.

Luckily the A star also received a refresh in 2012 (beige interiors). This I think made it a little harder for them to sell. When I heard this story from my friend I knew what was happening and I told her very specifically do not pay before you get the VIN and see the car.

A month later they finally decide to book the car and ended up back at Kothari, much against my advice. Initially it seems all is ok. They book the car and negotiate the deal. A week later he calls to say the car has arrived and that we need to make full payment to avoid the 2% increase in road tax. My friends dad assumed it to be true and made the mistake of paying full without seeing the car and without the VIN as well.

They kept asking the SA for the VIN as the car has supposedly arrived and he keeps saying that he'll send it. Then one fine day he calls and says, that the car has grey interiors and tries to convince them to take it ! He says if they want a car with beige interiors it will take 40 days..!!

Well, friends dad gets seriously pissed now and goes and meets with some senior manager of this place. She listens to the full story and then admits that they have a 2011 car with them and that they were to offer a discount on that, nothing of which was mentioned by these guys. This was the first time they admitted it was a 2011 car !

Finally, they have demanded a car at the old registration rates since that was what was promised or give us the money back. As of today, they have agreed to give them their money back and they are off to book the car at Chowgule.

What's the general feedback on this dealer like ? Is this a one off case ? One does not expect this from Maruti.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 24th April 2012 at 16:12.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 16:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cheats - Kothari Wheels, Viman Nagar, Pune

This doesn't seem like a one-off case, though I must say the principle of "Buyer Beware" has not been followed keenly by your friend/family, that too after you having pointed out the potential trouble.

It's the standard practice to push the older stock out at discounts or under names like 'pre-budget' rates etc. While there's nothing wrong with it, it's definitely wrong to not provide the exact car that was booked, or to actively hide the fact that the car is a 2011 model.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 17:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes, agree. If they had been transparent about the car being a 2011 model and offering a discount on it, fine. In this case he did not want to share the VIN, knowing we would find out. He kept delaying it and convinced them to pay as well ! I presume he thought we would eventually forget about it and just accept the car.
fiat_tarun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 17:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kothari is the master of this trade : Here's a related link (Hyundai dealer goof up - Pune)
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 18:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kothari is the master of this trade : Here's a related link (Hyundai dealer goof up - Pune)
The link refers to Kundan Hyundai GTO. Nevertheless, i've come across this dealers indifferent attitude on an another thread on the forum. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-vdi-abs.html (Booked my Azure Grey Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi with ABS)
Old 24th April 2012, 18:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Maruti is known to provide one of the best dealership experiences, but once in a while you do come across certain people waiting to ruin things for you. One such example is at Kothari Wheels, the Maruti dealership at Viman Nagar.
Ask your friend to report this incident and lodge a complaint with Maruti. They do take complaints seriously. Your friend can also call 1800 1800 180 or 0-9910 20 20 20 and lodge a complaint against this dealer.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th April 2012 at 18:40.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ok.. So they got into damage control mode and have now offered to bear the increased road tax which comes to about 10k.

They have promised a new car around the 6th of May. Hope things go well this time.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:46   #8
BHPian

Strange that even after knowing that the Dealer tried to cheat them, they are still willing to go ahead with them.

If he could do this while selling, i wonder what awaits them at service. Ethics won't change.

Just my opinion, but if it were me, i'd walk away, no matter how good the damage control offer.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 10:34   #9
BHPian

I wonder how some people can do this.

When customers go to buy something they expect full value for the money that they are paying. So many expecations, anxiety and excitement is in the pipeline and then some dealers try to identify vulnerable customers and try to short-change them.
arrowaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well, eventually everything went off smoothly once the the higher ups got into the picture. There was no escalation to Maruti, but only at the dealer level.

They gave them another 5K off, some accessories free and the delivery was pretty decent. They also got 2 tickets for Rowdy Rathore !

All said and done, personally is something like this happened to me, I would have bought the car from another dealer.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is this the same Kothari who has the Hyundai dealership at Tilak Road and probably the Crystal Honda dealership in Bavdhan? Or perhaps some other dealership on that bypass? They are upto no good as your friend will find out if the car is sent there for servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
They gave them another 5K off, some accessories free and the delivery was pretty decent. They also got 2 tickets for Rowdy Rathore !
Edit: Wow, further torture. That movie alone would have been reason enough for me to go to another dealer.
Jokes apart, after such an incident I would have gone to another dealer and complained to Maruti. Such people need to be kicked else they will keep trying such sly stunts on other customers.

Last edited by selfdrive : 7th June 2012 at 12:13.
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 12:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Is this the same Kothari who has the Hyundai dealership at Tilak Road and probably the Crystal Honda dealership in Bavdhan? Or perhaps some other dealership on that bypass? They are upto no good as your friend will find out if the car is sent there for servicing.

Edit: Wow, further torture. That movie alone would have been reason enough for me to go to another dealer.
Jokes apart, after such an incident I would have gone to another dealer and complained to Maruti. Such people need to be kicked else they will keep trying such sly stunts on other customers.
Yes, Kothari has Hyundai dealerships as well and I have not read good things about them. Not sure about the Honda one.

I did tell them to escalate, but my friend's parents weren't very keen on doing so.

for the movie comment...