Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 3rd July 2012, 13:38   #1
BHPian

Default Mukesh Hyundai Kolkata: Some Poor Experiences

I have recently had a very poor experience with Mukesh Hyundai Kolkata, and I'd like to inform the forum members about the same. I never knew that dealerships play around with so many hidden charges, and make fool of unknowing customers!

My parents in Kolkata were using a Santro Xing XP 2005 model. Lately, the car was throwing up numerous problems on ignition, AC, fuel consumption (it had dropped to 8 kmpl from 12kmpl) and clutch pad. The car was serviced regularly at intervals of 6-8 months, and yet, things were not going good. It was decided that we change the car to the new i20 Magna (O), a petrol model, since my parents hardly use it beyond 500 Kms per month.

When I started long distance negotiation from Bangalore, the following caught my attention:

1. Mukesh Hyundai was charging Rs. 3500 as service charge for registration
2. The insurance quote seemed to be pretty high (Rs. 17,055) with no discounts
3. They refused to give any free stuff saying that this was a newly launched model
4. They were offering a poor exchange price for the Santro, though we overheard them saying that a nominally refurbished version of our car would easily fetch a good price
5. They mentioned miscellaneous charges (god knows what that was) would be another Rs. 1500

I started negotiating with another Hyundai dealer, and the following got changed in a matter of days:

1. The exchange price of Santro suddenly started looking much better
2. We were told that they would give us a discount of Rs. 5000 on the insurance, on account of the existing no-claim bonus being transferred to this car (don't know how that happens)
3. Freebies like mud flaps, mats, teflon coating, perfume and steering cover were offered
4. They said they would 'waive' the miscellaneous charges!

I was reasonably OK with the rest of the deal, and had made up my mind to go ahead. Loan formalities were also initiated. When I met the dealer sales person couple of weeks later in Kolkata I asked him about the service charges for registration.

The sales person expressed his inability to change the service charges, and mentioned that I had to talk to his supervisor to get that waived. I did so. I have never heard any car dealer sales supervisor talking so rudely to a customer! When I told him that I thought this was too high, he mentioned that the Govt has sanctioned service charges for dealerships, and I can think whatever I like about the amount. His tone was unbelievable, and made me lose my temper instantly. After lots of heated exchange, he possibly realized that he was on the verge of losing a deal, and toned down a bit and agreed to reduce it to Rs. 2000. I was in Kolkata only for a few days, and badly wanted my parents to get the new car before I leave, hence I relented, considering it as 2000 less from the resell price of the Santro.

On the delivery day, I ended up with couple of more drama scenarios. First insurance - I was told that since my existing insurance has only 35% NCB, I cannot be given 5000 discount. Second, I was told that the loan clearance NOC validity of the existing Santro had expired (it's a 3 months NOC, though I don't understand why banks issue a time bound validity - what difference does it make after the loan is cleared?), and I had to pay additional service charges to change the registration. All hell broke lose for me! I said I won't pay a single penny more than the advance I had already paid, and if they were looking to extract additional amount for me beyond what it was agreed, then I will cancel the deal, and won't leave the dealership without getting the refund cheque!

Seeing my mood, these guys relented. And did not pursue any further for extra money.

The story doesn't end here. I drove the car back home, and was happy, until I saw the insurance receipt. The amount I paid was Rs. 12,055, after a 5K discount on the original insurance. The receipt showed Rs. 9,770. I was shocked, and called up the sales guy. He tried to circumvent the question at first, but then when I persisted, he said he'd work out the difference and send me a cheque. Last when I called him, he said everything's ready and I'd receive the cheque in the next few days. I'm waiting for that.

Last, but not the least - when I checked the final invoice of the new car, I saw a certain % amount given as discount. I was surprised. The sales guy told me that they had arrive at the exchange value of my old car by giving a discount on the new one, and by considering a lower price on the old car. I would anyway still get the exchange price negotiated for. When I asked him about 'no discounts on newly launched model' - he didn't have an answer, only, "Saar....apni to daam peye gachhen, are raga ragi korben na..." (Sir, you've got your price, please don't get angry again...)

I have had experiences with dealerships in Bangalore, but they didn't seem to be so arrogant or so blatant in extracting money from customers. It's possible that this is the norm of the day, and if the other members could enlighten me on whether the above are normal, I'd think that I have managed to save some money.
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 10:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mukesh Hyundai Kolkata: Some Poor Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Last, but not the least - when I checked the final invoice of the new car, I saw a certain % amount given as discount. I was surprised. The sales guy told me that they had arrive at the exchange value of my old car by giving a discount on the new one
Cannot comment on the rest, but this is one of the major reasons i do not recommend selling your old car at the same place you are planning to buy a new one. It takes a little effort but its worth it to sell the old car elsewhere and come to the dealership for a fresh new car purchase with no linkage to the old one.

Why i say this is because, there might be a normal discount going on and when they come to know you are selling the older car they club this discount (Which otherwise you should have got separately) to the old car value and then to a buyer it seems like a good value given for the old car where as its the discount on the new car which gets added.

If you would have sold the old car elsewhere you might have got a better deal, sometimes this deal may look bad when comparing numbers. For example the outside buyer might give you X, and dealer might give you X+10K, that 10K is actually a discount on the new car. So if you are just looking at X+10K you might think its a better deal.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 11:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Your experience shows how a typical car deal takes place in India irrespective of the city.
The dealer has a printed price list, which is the maximum possible price of the car. Then the negotiations take place. The typical customer thinks he can negotiate and get the best deal. But the problem starts when the customer after getting whatever he wanted and agreed in writing tries to read too much between the lines and destroys his peace of mind and the new car buying experience by himself. I see no fault of dealer in this as the customer just acts over-selfish. For eg. When the customer has taken a loan from certain bank, and have not bothered to cancel the hypothecation for whatever reason, and if the dealer points it out, we start complaining that dealer is harassing us, while it is a fact that banks do charge a fee for re-issuing a NoC. But at times we choose to listen only what we want to listen.
Similarly, for other things, if the customer 'demands' that he is going to pay that much and its upto dealer how to do it or the deal would be cancelled, then questioning his ways or not taking any responsibility is beyond my comprehension. After all the customer is getting the deal at his price, isn't it. Similarly, half knowledge is also dangerous thing. That also leads us to many uncomfortable situations.
Now coming to dealer part:
First of all they have to deal with customers like I have mentioned above day after day. Secondly they have to make profit also after allowing maximum possible discounts. They have to maintain international standards of servicing while dealing with underdeveloped country's citizens. So to balance that what one should do. Employ the worst kind of staffs whose main qualifications are talking rudely with customers, always lying, cheating, etc. and their only purpose on the job is to make the new car buying experience AS HORRIBLE AS POSSIBLE. If prior experience in this is an added qualification and always busy on mobile even though the total sales figure of the company (not the dealership) is not more than 100-200. I challenge anyone to find more rude, more lying and more unprofessional SE than here in Goa. I have come across a Sales Manager whose only qualification for the job is getting fired from one dealership for fraud and cheating.
so all in all experience at various parts in the country going to remain the same for sometime.
I have posted it various times and mention it here that in India the deal is done in 'Either I screw you or you screw me, when in dispute let the Govt. screw both, both can't be happy at the same time.
I also say that I feel strongly day by day that it's not worth buying a new car atleast by the experiences we have at the dealerships.
PS: No offense intended towards anyone.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 14:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Your experience shows how a typical car deal takes place in India irrespective of the city.
For eg. When the customer has taken a loan from certain bank, and have not bothered to cancel the hypothecation for whatever reason, and if the dealer points it out, we start complaining that dealer is harassing us, while it is a fact that banks do charge a fee for re-issuing a NoC. But at times we choose to listen only what we want to listen.
Similarly, for other things, if the customer 'demands' that he is going to pay that much and its upto dealer how to do it or the deal would be cancelled, then questioning his ways or not taking any responsibility is beyond my comprehension. After all the customer is getting the deal at his price, isn't it.
I'm not sure I communicated the NOC part correctly. To clarify matters, in my case, I had given the NOC to the dealer, which mentioned that the bank is issuing a clearance and that the loan has been fully paid. The date of NOC was early March, and it was also mentioned in the NOC that it was valid from the month following the month of last EMI re-payment, which made it valid from April. I took the delivery of the new car on June 23rd, it was still a week to go before the NOC expired. The dealer insisted that I pay additional service charges to extend this NOC, since the date they considered was early March and not April regardless of what was mentioned in the NOC. Was I very wrong to say that they harassed me unnecessarily for additional money?

I don't feel I was incorrect in questioning additional/hidden charges for NOC, registration and insurance, neither do I understand where I didn't fulfill my responsibility towards the dealer. For me, 'getting the deal at my price' only means the rightful price as prescribed by the manufacturer, the govt, and the insurance company.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Mukesh Hyundai's main problem is that they think as they have been around for so long (late 90s) - they have a right to do whatever they feel, and treat all customers as if they are class 5 students and have zero understanding of how a car works.
They made me go around for 8 months on a warranty repair (airbag control module) and I had to report the incident to H W Park, MD & CEO of HMIL. The repair was then done in 72 hours. Read my thread for details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2344683
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't feel I was incorrect in questioning additional/hidden charges for NOC, registration and insurance, neither do I understand where I didn't fulfill my responsibility towards the dealer. For me, 'getting the deal at my price' only means the rightful price as prescribed by the manufacturer, the govt, and the insurance company.
I agree with Tats07 here. I think Tats should go a step further and check out insurance details fully. I am sure the dealer would have either increased the deductable or reduced the IDV of the car to bring down the insurance amount. This will adversely impact Tats insurance coverage.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I agree with Tats07 here. I think Tats should go a step further and check out insurance details fully. I am sure the dealer would have either increased the deductable or reduced the IDV of the car to bring down the insurance amount. This will adversely impact Tats insurance coverage.
Hi DieselFan, I can understand the IDV part, but what is reduction in deductibles? Can you please clarify? My parents in Kolkata have just received the insurance and I will find out from them what exactly is the IDV.
Old 27th July 2012, 07:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi DieselFan, I can understand the IDV part, but what is reduction in deductibles? Can you please clarify? My parents in Kolkata have just received the insurance and I will find out from them what exactly is the IDV.
IDV is the insured declared value of the car.

http://qna.economictimes.indiatimes....ed-493654.html

http://knowledge.policybazaar.com/ca...value-idv.html

When the repair cost of any accident car crosses this value, the car is written off as total loss by the insurance company and the amount paid to the insured.
This value decreases each year.

Deductible is the amount you pay out of pocket after which the insurance company chips in with the rest.
Normally - lower the deductible, higher the premium.

Say with Rs 100 premium , your deductible is 1000
But to make your deductible as 250 or 500, the premium might be raised to 150. (bad example, but conveys the idea)

Say the car needs a repair of Rs 10000, and the deductible is 100 - the insurance shall only pay 900. If the deductible is 500, the insurance shall only pay 500.

Last edited by blackasta : 27th July 2012 at 07:41.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 08:35   #9
BHPian

I had a similar experience with Saini Hyundai... ( i20 Crdi Sportz) Had it not been my father who stopped me, I would have ensured that the supervisor and the sales man would have been kicked out of their jobs... It's because of their conning efforts I lost quite a lot of money.

The attitude of these people when coming to diesel cars is totally unacceptable. I found the dealers in Bangalore probably 100 times better than the ones back in Kolkata..

Cheers,
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 10:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
The attitude of these people when coming to diesel cars is totally unacceptable. I found the dealers in Bangalore probably 100 times better than the ones back in Kolkata..
Completely agree with you here. I believe the dealers in Bangalore are possibly more professional, and also large number potential buyers here are presumably more aware of the facts. So it is relatively difficult to con them. Of course, had it not been for team-bhp, I would've been an ignorant buyer as well!
Old 31st July 2012, 11:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
The attitude of these people when coming to diesel cars is totally unacceptable.

Can you elaborate more on this?
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 11:46   #12
BHPian

Sad to hear the sort of con-jobs these sales "execs" resort to.

For what its worth, I am all too familiar with two of Hyundai's dealerships here in Kolkata, well, make that 3 out of the 4 in Kolkata, namely , Mukesh(VIP Road)/Saini(New Alipore)/Spring(E.M.Byepass) Hyundai and would like to warn fellow bhpians from Kolkata from dealing with them without caution.The only Hyundai dealership I dont have any first hand experience is with Bengal Hyundai located at Park Street.

Mukesh Hyundai:Well, lets just say these guys take the cake in conning unsuspecting customers, especially the used car division.I had been on the lookout for Getz CRDi for quite sometime and have made numerous visits to Mukesh's used car division at both VIP Road and Salt Lake(with fellow Bhpian and friend predatorwheelz).ALL, I repeat ALL, of the Getz Diesels that I have checked out there at different points of time over the last 1 year(4 odd) were poorly repainted pieces being passed off as typically 35k kms.odd run single owner cars.On further checking Ive found out that they had run anywhere from 55k-68k-78k-and wait for it this one takes the cake-89k run(in only 2 years) cars.Needless to say these guys are so shameless that when they got confronted on the same they come up with a lame "Mere ko kya pata..customer ki gaadi hai".And mind you I have once personally seen them working on a car whose entire dash assembly was disassembled probably to clock back the odo and have been shown the car at a later date with an odo reading half of its original.Enough Said.

When it comes to new cars, I had once booked a Getz CRDi with Mukesh, it being the biggest Hyundai outlet in the city way back in 2009 August when the diesel getz was being offered at a discounted price of 499000 ex-showroom.After having taken a deposit of 35k by cheque and given me false delivery dates that kept getting posponed for a month, they called me in September to tell me that my Get D wasnt happening cuz Hyundai had stopped manufacture.Mind you, this, when I had specifically been assured of a delivery claiming themselves to be the biggest dealership in town."Even if its the last peice in the factory you will get it by mid August" that is exactly what I was told.In effect, Mukesh hyundai literally cost me the chance to get my hands on a brand new Getz D by their lackadaisical approach.Had they informed me any earlier, I would have tried getting the delivery through the other dealerships.

Spring Hyundai:After the Mukesh Hyundai booking experience,I headed to Spring Hyundai, the salesmen there were still selling it at the original ex-showroom of 5.61l.Inspite of numerous follow-ups with those in the management they refused to budge, this, inspite of having a Getz D in black in stock which I was shown before they gave a quote.They just wanted to make a sale at the original price to another customer and pocket the neat 60k dealer discount themselves.

Saini Hyundai:These guys almost sold me a 08 November manufactured Getz D in the month of June 09 after assuring me that I was getting a freshly manufactured car, and it was only when I cross checked about the VIN with the higher-ups was I told that it was a test car and hence the older manufacturing date.

Apart from all these dealerships, I have'nt dealt with Bengal Hyundai and therefore do not have any first hand experience with them so to speak.Hope the above info provided helps future Hyundai customers in Kolkata.

Last edited by octane1002 : 31st July 2012 at 11:56.
octane1002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 12:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you elaborate more on this?
It's a real long story, but to cut it short! I was in Kolkata to meet my family who had come down from the US. As we didnt have a car there (I had driven down our car to blore) and were facing difficulties to travel around town, I decided to pick up a new car, my bad luck or whatever you could call it, I declined to pick up a Figo for the I20. Promise made by Saini was that the delivery will be done in a week, which ofcourse did not happen

A week turned into 2 after the initial wait of 1 week and since immediately after that I was supposed to leave for Bangalore, I was promised to be given a call the day the alloted car were to leave the factory in Chennai for Kolkata. So that I could reach Kolkata in time to take the delivery.

They called me just 4 days in advance, asking me to make the full payment or they would not be responsible if the prices of the cars (diesel) were to go up. Had a huge argument with the Sales Manger regarding this.. The vin alloted to me was delivered to someone else as I refused to make any payment till I saw the vehicle in flesh!!

Anyway, continuing, I was to get a cash discount of arnd 3k with the extra goodies. The day I had been there to make the payment (in cash), one of the sales man tells me that the guy I had been interacting with so far was a new recruit and that he was not aware of anything and I cant be given the cash discount and the goodies as Hyundai is not offering any discounts on the diesel cars.
They forced me to buy the insurance from them,I paid around 29k for a bumper to bumper 0 dep insurance, the same could be bought by me for arnd 20k from my faithful insurance advisor!!

Anyway, If these as@@()#@s were to tell me that they wont be offering any discounts and that the purchse of insurance by them was mandatory, I would have not bought the car in Kolkata, the i20 (ex showroom) is more expensive there in Kolkata than here in Bangalore. Add to it the extra insurance cost, temp registration cost, diesel and hotel bills as I drove the car from Kol to Blr!! Again paid around 1.18Lakhs for registering the car in Bangalore..

I was frustrated with those guys and wanted to cancell my order but luckily for them, my dad asked me not to cancell the order as that could have led to the termination of that salesman.

Today, my 20 odd day old i20, has so many issues already!!

1. Auto rain sense wiper! Its stopped working.. no auto anymore
2. Rear suspension makes a "tak-tak" sound when going over a hump
3. Music system would not play pen drives, 1 out of 10 would play and the rest it simply wont read
4. The clutch makes a very strange noise and the bite is very abrubt when engaging
5. My windscreen has a leak!! (god know how water seeped into the cabin)
6. After the first service, the wipers scratched the windscreen..
7. The music system's folder button has become loose, it moves off its axis when touched very softly.. makes that sound.. need to press it hard for it to change the folder! This when I dont use that switch, I 99% of the time use the steering controlls!!
8. The A/C does not mention "clean air" symbolizing the presence of the "Cluster Ionizer". Whenever I use fresh air mode, the damn thing stinks!!

Have written a letter to Hyundai and got a prompt response from them, but to all the fellow bhpian's be very carefull while taking the delivery of your new car, please ensure you have'nt left any stone unturned..

My honda city vtec has done over 1.11lakh km's and I never had any such crappy issues with it!! No wonder why people worldover refer the Korean made cars as "Korean cr@" .

Wish Honda had launched a diesel!!

Cheers
Shrey

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 4th August 2012 at 12:21.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 18:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Spring Hyundai:After the Mukesh Hyundai booking experience,I headed to Spring Hyundai, the salesmen there were still selling it at the original ex-showroom of 5.61l.Inspite of numerous follow-ups with those in the management they refused to budge, this, inspite of having a Getz D in black in stock which I was shown before they gave a quote.They just wanted to make a sale at the original price to another customer and pocket the neat 60k dealer discount themselves.

Saini Hyundai:These guys almost sold me a 08 November manufactured Getz D in the month of June 09 after assuring me that I was getting a freshly manufactured car, and it was only when I cross checked about the VIN with the higher-ups was I told that it was a test car and hence the older manufacturing date.

Apart from all these dealerships, I have'nt dealt with Bengal Hyundai and therefore do not have any first hand experience with them so to speak.Hope the above info provided helps future Hyundai customers in Kolkata.
Even I have had a very rough experience with Spring Hyundai.

ADVICE: Dont ever buy a new car from Spring, Saini. THere is a new dealership "Austin Hyundai". Can try out that.

P.S: FYI Spring and Saini are owned by the same person.

Last edited by Pancham : 5th August 2012 at 19:01.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote