Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 29th September 2012, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Default Trouble with Audi Q5 and Audi Gurgaon Dealer

I bought an Audi Q5 2.0 TDi in January, 2012 from Audi Gurgaon Dealership. The car has been plagued by repeated problems since delivery.
Within two months of buying the car, there was Oil leakage from the gearbox. Which could not be fixed the first time around and I was told a part is required which was ordered and took two months for the part to arrive and car to be repaired. the car was immobile all this period. issue was covered within warranty period but took two months to resolve. they had to remove the gearbox to repair it as i was told and curiously the service advisor the first time around mentioned it was a recall issue and the problem was expected. i looked it up on the net didn't find anything related nor hear about this issue in india. then when queried again they quietly ignored it and told me to wait for the part to arrive.
After repair got assurances that the issue "should not" appear again and would look into it if it crops up.
but this week i again spotted a leak in the underbody in the same area and to add to the problem the Power steering has also packed up.

To add to my woes the workshop has been least responsive, i have been calling them since wednesday 26 sep. to book the car for check-up and all i get is a "sir we will get back to you" and then there is no response. I tried calling the Audi helpline and same is their response " Sir it takes 48 hrs for us to respond".
What to do in this situation, some mailbaazi and some calls through connection to get things moving. only things that work in India.
Today morning the car was finally sent on a flatbed.

After this harrowing episode my confidence in the brand has been severely shaken, never thought this would be the case with a premium luxury brand.

Car can have problems is understood unless they really sold me a "lemon" but the seriousness and frequency of problems has left me wondering what may come in the future. However the bigger issue is one of customer response and has left me wanting. comments from their Customer relation manager Mr. George like- "o sir i forgot didn't mark it down" only to dissapear for another day make you wonder what sort of process they follow. Customer satisfaction and ownership experience is what they sell, didn't think these words would be so hollow or reserved for a few.

This was my first big ticket purchase, plonked down 46lac for it and dreamt of taking it places (read : ladakh) but just didn't expect it to keep breaking down on delhi roads.

Hope Audi takes note of the issues, chasing BMW for the No.1 crown is all fine but leaving existing customers stranded doesn't bode too well in the long term.
mavrikm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Trouble with Audi Q5 and Audi Gurgaon Dealer

These days VW Brands in India are really suffering from problems of Insatisfactory Dealer Service and Harrowing the Customer by making excuses. We are all aware with horror stories Skoda is associated with. Recently, a mechanic of VW dealership were also accused of smashing a customer's Jetta on joyride and now, Audi. How'd they gain no.1 position in luxury segment unless they improve their A.S.S. I can understand your problem. But, as of now, only what you can do is repeatedly contacting the Audi headquarters in India. If this doesn't work, then use magazine like Autocar India. Tell them your problem and they would contact bosses at Audi and your problem might get solved. In their magazine, they say they would help one to get his/her problems fixed!

PM me if you want any help such as their E-Mail address etc.

S@ndy
S@ndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 19:29   #3
BHPian

@mavrikm5: It is shocking to learn that a brand like Audi is having such pathetic service backup which they are not able to rectify properly and more shocking is with a delay of 2 months for a part. These guys are basically taking we Indians for a big ride and have taken us for granted. No where in the world these guys will be giving such services.

Hope you have taken extended warranty on your car as once a problem can always be a problem! Nothing like a factory fitted car. Threaten the dealer that you will make life hell for him if this problem is not sorted ASAP and that you have had enough of it.
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 14:39   #4
BHPian

No Extended warranty yet. original warranty is for 2 years.
Car went in for check yesterday and Sunday is off at the workshop so still waiting to know the extent of problems. i am not yet decided on the final course of action but one things for sure not letting them slip away this time around.
Old 30th September 2012, 20:47   #5
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2012 at 13:55.
GullwingGT is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:13   #6
BHPian

Received an update.
Faulty sensor/wire for the Power steering.
but the bad news, Oil leakage is from the Gearbox even after twice repairing and two months to do it. Height of incompetence and not sure if the Dealer or the Audi technicians know what they are doing. They all seem to be on an experimentation drive with the problem. As per my discussions don't think a repair would do anything to contain the leakage. whatever had to be tried would have been already.
So either a new 'box or a new car is the solution.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:22   #7
BHPian

@mavrikm5 - I sympathize with you. I know how difficult it is when spending your hard earned money on a Audi (that which is probably overpriced as well as in India). But the dealer's attitude and competence takes the cake when he does not appreciate the customer's problems and even more when Audi themselves callously treats the customer.

The reality, unfortunately for an Indian buyer, is stick to Marutis and Hyundais where at least some decent resemblance of service is provided to the customer. Sorry to say but I would never touch cars such as the Mercs, BMWs, Audis, Volkswagens, Skodas and Renaults because I just dont believe they have the capability or concern for the customer to operate in the Indian market. They take the Indian buyer for granted despite that the fact that it is really the upper crust buyer who purchases their products.
motorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 08:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy
@mavrikm5 - I sympathize with you. I know how difficult it is when spending your hard earned money on a Audi (that which is probably overpriced as well as in India). But the dealer's attitude and competence takes the cake when he does not appreciate the customer's problems and even more when Audi themselves callously treats the customer.

The reality, unfortunately for an Indian buyer, is stick to Marutis and Hyundais where at least some decent resemblance of service is provided to the customer. Sorry to say but I would never touch cars such as the Mercs, BMWs, Audis, Volkswagens, Skodas and Renaults because I just dont believe they have the capability or concern for the customer to operate in the Indian market. They take the Indian buyer for granted despite that the fact that it is really the upper crust buyer who purchases their products.
What's up with these uber_brand vehicles. After plonking half a crore, one would expect a trouble free car and extremely delightful customer experience. Heck, I even expect my manza to be trouble free and the workshops are very responsive.
I advice you to take this up with Audi /VW bosses. Don't settle for anything less than new car, since the one you have can be a genuine lemon.
If required, approach media. Flood their Facebook Page. I believe you know what one of the etios owner did when he wasn't happy with his new car.
All these just makes me wonder, why do they sell something that cannot be serviced by their technicians.
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 12:59   #9
BHPian

Guys it's been some time since the car was Finally delivered after repairs.
Here's updating on how it all panned out.
Power steering issue was related to a cut wire/sensor. (maybe a mouse did it)
It was replaced so all ok there.

Major issue of OIL leaking was traced to the Gearbox which has had to be repaired yet again. this is the second time the transmission has been opened within 10 months of the car delivery. Faulty part replaced, which took them almost a month to arrange for.
Warranty has been extended on the car for 1 Year (2+1). But nobody has an explanation as to why there have been these repeated occurrences, they just don't seem to understand the problem and can't really offer a satisfactory explanation.
It's been a frustrating month dealing with the dealership and to get AUDI to hear my problems but the whole experience with AUDI especially has been sad and dissapointing. I called their Mumbai office directly 4-5 times but never managed to get beyond the Reception guy. All the time they would jot down my details and promised the guy responsible for Customer relations (Tarkeshwar rao) would call back, which never happened. apparently he is never available. I took his mail id and mailed him twice relating to the problem never once eliciting a response. so much for customer relations. What is it them only dealing through dealers, partners and the OEM nowhere to be seen. you check out their website there's not one proper Email id to send a mail to. No acknowledgement no nothing.
Giving up, i finally made some frantic calls to my uncle who knows the dealer before they started responding. I was finally delivered a courtesy car after 2 weeks of chasing i.e by then they had realised it would take more time to repair the car and can't hold off any longer.
Left with absolutely no faith in the car and the company been a sad and frustrating experience keeping Fingers crossed for the Future.

AUDI
Old 6th November 2012, 15:13   #10
rbp
BHPian

@mavrikm5:- I can understand your pain, I just had a question for T-Bhpians, which of the three German manufacturers [Merc, BMW, Audi] has the best service in India? My brother has been considering an upgrade from his fortuner.
rbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 15:34   #11
BHPian

Here I would like to quote an experience of one of my senior colleagues in office. He had bought an A4 with lots of excitement. Within weeks all that joy evaporated once the car started to smoke black. After repeated checks and services, the problem persisted.

In the course, he was pampered with free accessories, upholstery etc to hold his patience. But till I knew he had to live with the issue. He was given some odd reasons like it happens because of indian climatic conditions etc. Then why all the A4s don't smoke?

I seriously doubt Audi's ability to fix things in one go. Is their technology too complex for an easy fix. Or their technicians poorly trained ? Foresee more to come.

Last edited by vigneshnr : 6th November 2012 at 15:35.
vigneshnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 17:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

My gut feeling:

only the guys who make these cars, Ingolstadt or whatever Bavaria have a clue as to what the problems really are. They are familiar with the processes and strength & vulnerabilities of various parts/materials used in the car. They do not confide the same to their Indian counterparts equally because of fear of IPR or whatever getting leaked in the process and are thus very guarded about the information they share. Replacing entire parts and not repairing is the norm. It would thus be safe to suggest to future customers as to stay away from imports as *reliable, day-to-day* machines. Ofcourse 1 in 10 or 3 in 10 machines may be entirely & perfectly reliable but that doesn't guarantee a safe experience for all the customers equally. A Mahindra, or Maruti, or even a Tata has a better grasp on their vehicles, since THEY DEVELOPED IT and can keep you running for a long time to come.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrikm5 View Post
Power steering issue was related to a cut wire/sensor. (maybe a mouse did it)
It was replaced so all ok there.
AUDI
Hello Mavrikm, my 7 month old Q5 2.0TDI suddenly seems to have many problems like that since recently.

The vehicle has run for 13600kms till date and due for its first service at 15000kms. The 'brake pads' warning started coming up along with the 'windscreen wiper fluid' warning since last week and i did not bother much since i thought the pads are wornout.

Since 2 days, the electronic stability control "ESC fault. Check owner's manual", "Engine management system" fault and "Ignition lock defective" has started to come up. I checked the owner's manual for answers in vain and finally called up the service advisor in Bangalore. He guided me to run a diagnostic of the ignition lock by asking me to use the key to open the door and hold it for 5 seconds for all the windows to come down and repeat the process and finally concluded that its probably a rat that has been chewing on the wires.

He even asked me not to drive the vehicle as it might lead to a short circuit and cause fire. Since i am based in Mysore and the service center is a 150kms away, the Q5 is being taken away in a flatbed tow-truck from Audi's 24hour helpline today.

The service adviser even told me that rats like the taste of the bio-degradable rubber used on the wires by Audi out of environmental concerns. Clearly not designed for India!
sharc_biker is offline   Reply With Quote