Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 28th October 2012, 22:40   #31
BHPian

Default Re: VW Downtown Bangalore take 60 days for a 2 day repair job

Finally, your car is back with you. I had been following your thread everyday hoping that VW would do a good job. But, as I had feared they messed up big time. I always was apprehensive about VAG group's after sales support. No matter how good their cars are, its the after sales that creates a lasting impression on a customer.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 00:30   #32
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@ ajmat

I salute your patience and tolerance power. If i were you, i would have made a big big issue out of this and written to everyone in VW. I would have blown my top off many times a day and would have lost my health by now. Just reading your posts is making my blood boil.

VW does not seem to be bothered and are going the Skoda's way to fame (After all, they are competing against each other)

OT: My Fiesta is due for its 20 K service. Even though Ford responds to complaints quickly, I'm worried to leave my car in the hands of the grease monkeys. With almost no progress and causing unprecedented delays, i cannot imagine how you could be sooooo patient.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 06:49   #33
Team-BHP Support

Shocking! Was aware that you were going through issues with the Jetta repair job but the blow-by-blow account really brought it to life. As a VW owner myself, I am now scared. VERY scared.

Ajit- I think however far Hesarghatta is from your place, you need to look at that as an option in future. This nonsense is just not worth it. In Pune, we have a choice between Vidyut and BU Bhandari. The former started off badly but with some heated competition from the latter, SEEM to have pulled up their songs a fair bit now. Wondering it it'll last.

nirmal's pics of the service centre are appalling.

You are dead right about VW using their Facebook page for cheap advertising- stuff like "Which car would you take your girlfriend for a long drive in the rain...?" when there are such serious issues to be tackled. I once suggested there that they work on their dealership strategy rather than run these cheap contests but as expected, no response and the post was later deleted. Compare this with Mahindra for example where a simple tweet from Anand Mahindra ensures the quickest possible action.

I've had occasion to comment before on the detached outlook of VW management when it comes to customer issues, either in delivery or in service. The company seems to believe that dealers have a life of their own, without realising that in the customer's eyes, it is all VW. When you lend your name and your brand to some third party, you include them in the family, so to speak, and any bad experience will reflect badly on your brand. It is as if VW is saying, hey we make great cars- don't knock us because our dealers suck. And they do
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 08:45   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Would you mind posting a pic of the car after the repair job ?

I see the bill was Rs 55K, how much was covered by insurance ?
I had to pay Rs 4700. Insurance would not cover washing (which was shoddy) and some taxes. I made them reimburse for the parking tickets (I would not have bothered but if they are being petty, so can I!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Now I understand my warranty claim was minor, and nothing similar to yours, but I can't understand how one (like you did) makes multiple trips to the workshop and yet comes out empty-handed.

Apologies if the query is crude. I had to put it out as it is. Do share your views.
Edit: The invoicing (paper) quality was same out here. Guess that is the norm across VW workshops.
I was forced to escalate, not that it made a difference but Ranjit got me the answers and attempted to expedite things but his power was limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Few things stand out immediately.

1. Why did the small painting work not start and was waiting on the alloys and plastic cladding to arrive. Why did they wait for the alloys to arrive to start the other work which did not depend on the alloys at all.

2. Why could the dealer not offer a spare tyre from a TD jetta or a steel rim. To get your car on the road, all that was needed was to give you a stepney, since you were already using your stepney.

3. Ok, fine, they lost the VW wheel logo but for Rs.500 logo, they kept the car for more than a week so they could claim it as part of your insurance. Why not take the logo from a TD car and put it on till a new part arrives.

I think the insurance surveyor would not release the car but all it would take was them to discuss and resolve. As for the other issues, any other dealer or even an independent garage would ensure you are back on the road.

VW are not customer oriented. They are merely product oriented but that is not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now you know why....

I can't imagine going through such an ordeal after paying 20 big ones. If VW doesn't start controlling their dealers, like Maruti does, they are going down the path of Skoda.
If I buy a VW again, I would not buy new, then I can have the luxury of choosing a good independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post

You can expect your car returned with multiple problems. My Polo has completed 2.5 years and I am even contemplating to sell it due to the fear of going to the service center for some major repair issues.

Bangalore is a major market for VW and you have only one service center ie VW Palace Cross. Latest I heard is VW down town not accepting any service requests.

VW Palace cross,Hesarghatta is 40km from my place. How can I go there for some small issue and follow up? I may better sell off my Polo soon. I am surprised why more and more VW owners are not speaking up against this pathetic scheme of things in Bangalore.

With such horrible dealers, how can VW expect even to retain their owners forget increasing the market share.
They are currently "realigning" their systems but if they do not sort their customer orientation, they are doomed. Vinayak Skoda made a good attempt but their diagnostic skils and ability to tackle non standard issues let me down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
, I'd posted how service quality can be an important differentiator from Skoda, and VW should fully exploit that opportunity. But with the number of VW dealer & service complaints cropping up on the forum, it's clear that training, monitoring & controlling dealer <-> customer interactions hasn't been a priority at all. Some brands just don't get it, while some others excel at keeping car owners happy (e.g. Maruti).

Auto Hangar took only about 7 working days to get the Benz back on the road (after the petrol pump attendant damaged the door).

Thumbs down.
Honda and Maruti are obsessive about measuring customer satisfaction even when they had a monopoly position.

Skoda - during the end of year holiday season - procured and fitted a water pump for my RS (a rare model) in 10 days

Thumbs down? More like boot up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
My goodness, this is pathetic! 2 months for that! They pissed off a Team BHP moderator - some of whom get free trips to certain launches/shows. If those VW Downtown guys dont know about TeamBHP - then they have been living under a rock. And thats not the point - but just shows what these guys are capable of. Someone should forward this thread link to the management of VW.
Let me be clear that I went as a customer and did not reveal who I was until I was forced to escalate. Not sure what the "free trip" statement implies! VW do read, am sure a lot of folks have forwarded the link but they need to act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
When my car started popping up with some engine check lights on the dash a few months back, i left everything and took it to the Palace Cross workshop (i paid highway toll to reach there!!). .
Save yourself time, say your car has broken down and let the mountain come to Mohammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I had visited the Downtown workshop with a friend to sort out some issues on the painting of his fender and bonnet & was shocked to find the situation there.- Observe the freshly painted parts being left to dry on the floor, a bonnet, fender, polo mirror cover and a Beetle fender next to the rubbish.

- Filth and parts lying everywhere, utter chaos.

Does this experience suit a premium brand like VW ? Doesnt VW conduct any audit of their dealers ?
Luckiliy this will change, with the new facility. Am surprised VW allowed this continue for so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
. The final photograph of the bill is quite symbolic of the shabby dealers VW has entrusted its brand image on.

the Skoda path instead of emulating the holy grail of Maruti and Hyundai.

Great cars and pathetic dealers - What a shame!!
It merely showed up the customer orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ajit, VW have some 3M tie up for paint protection similar to what 3M stores offer.

Also, get them to order the reflectors and go only for the fitting, else noone will believe you have a Jetta since it's never around.

The worst part is the bumper had to be painted only because THEY damaged it in the first place when it was with them. They repainted it but gave it back to you with both reflectors chipped.
If they cannot complete a job properly, how wil they rectify properly! I will take up the reflector issue but the car will not go in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
. After he got the car back, he vowed never to go back to them. He gets his car serviced from Carnation.

And all his AC car vent panels are broken, even with normal usage. And he is driving around like that for the last five months because the VW guys haven't been able to source the spares yet. Incredible.
Careful with Carnation, it is from the frying pan into the fryer.

I am actually questioning the benefit of an extended warranty. I would want to run from the network as soon as possible.

In the UK, I have seen VW cars being serviced at Skoda dealers (mainly family owned and friendly!). Maybe Skoda should allow this, considering they are reportedly attempting to improve their service. It will give more competition to VW!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 09:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If I buy a VW again, I would not buy new, then I can have the luxury of choosing a good independent
Why not even now? I am strongly of this view that if the ASC cannot get the job done to our satisfaction, then we should go to them only for routine maintenance servicing (and to reset our service meters to zero... lolz). And for the rest go to your trusted roadside workshop. I have seen equally good if not better paint jobs done by my painter and that too without breaking any reflectors. If my Fortuner/Superb will need a dent/paint job even in warranty, I will gladly take it to him rather than the ASC.

Quote:
I am actually questioning the benefit of an extended warranty. I would want to run from the network as soon as possible.
The extended warranty will help only in case of some major component breakdown, but now with this kind of service expectation, it does create doubts.

Quote:
Skoda - during the end of year holiday season - procured and fitted a water pump for my RS (a rare model) in 10 days
Quote:
In the UK, I have seen VW cars being serviced at Skoda dealers (mainly family owned and friendly!). Maybe Skoda should allow this, considering they are reportedly attempting to improve their service. It will give more competition to VW!
That actually is a FIRST! VW beings serviced at Skoda due to better servicing!! Kudos for the confidence. Skoda has started doing something right...

Last edited by dkaile : 29th October 2012 at 09:03.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 11:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Ajit, i pity you.At the same time i really appreciate your patience and calmness while going theough all this!

Address a mail to the CEO/MD of VW india ,just like dkaile wrote a personal mail to Sudhir rao of skoda. Include this link in that so that the top management would atleast be made aware of the happenings.Mention the broken reflector.Do mention you are the mod of TBHP in the mail too. Lets see if that evokes some sort of responsible response from the top management.

No VW for me ,unless they pull up their socks! VW should work towards getting their basics right rather than spending crores of rupees on vibrator ads! If this continues then it will be hard time for VW,expecially going by the number of -ve reviews of the Service centers on TBHP. Anything on TBHP will spread like viral !
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 11:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Appreciate the patience Ajmat has shown in this whole episode !

Of all the service centres currently available @ Bangalore, VW-Downtown has to be avoided.
Have visited both the Downtown and Palace Cross service centres and must say the latter is miles ahead both in terms of quality of service, larger area, etc.
They have improved a lot from what they were at the beginning by seriously addressing the feedback given by the customers.

But the availabilty of spares and accessories would still be an area of concern.

I think,till then, it would be better if we avail services of this facility, though it is located at the outskirts, but would be at the end would be a satisfying experience.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 11:59   #38
Team-BHP Support

I rang VW Downtown about the chipped reflectors. I was told to go to Hosur Road. I have spent too much time on this.

I have emailed them with pictures, copying VW customer care as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam

As you well know, I would have thought that the 2 month ordeal in returning my car after what was a 3 day repair would be over. I discovered that the rear bumper reflectors have been damaged by yourselves while removal for repainting the bumper which had been damaged by yourselves.

Please find the photographs enclosed. I would like you to order a new set and replace these immediately. Kindly acknowledge this mail and let me know how you plan to resolve this issue.

Yours fathfully
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 12:28   #39
Team-BHP Support

This is really shocking and hats off to Ajmat for his patience, if it was me i would have just taken the car out and moved to another garage. But what is surprising is, if the dealer cant handle the job immediately, why cant they just allow the customer to retain the car and call back at an appropriate time. Atleast this will allow the customer to decide if they want to approach another garage also.

And what about VW, they spent millions or Rupees sending us buzzing newspaper, dont they really care about customer feedback?? who are actually the real buzz behind any brand??

I will definitely not recommend this brand anymore, however good the car is!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 12:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Ajit, after reading your ordeal on your ownership thread, its made me sit up and wonder, if VW is serious enough in their business.
Afterall, every serivce industry has been following an age old notion of the customer being the god.
Apparently for VW, it seems the dealers are gods. Last acceptable and worth appreciating commodity being, the customer!

Skoda is no different. Lucky for me, I know the owner and the SA at the dealership on a personal level. Hence, I can afford to "get things done".

The least VW Downtown can do is, man enough. Agree they goofed up big time, and make it worth your efforts.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 13:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

What would happen to people who would have only one car and that sits in the dealership for months?
Pathetic. I would be scared to keep my VW long term unless they change.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 14:54   #42
Team-BHP Support

Thank God the VWs have scheduled service intervals only at 10,000kms unlike Mahindra. Imagine if more cars had to come in for service at shorter intervals!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 15:45   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But what is surprising is, if the dealer cant handle the job immediately, why cant they just allow the customer to retain the car and call back at an appropriate time.
If tomorrow comes

Actually, going by the updates in this thread, it does not look like they would have bothered to call back with details of available service slots.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 17:31   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Not surprising at all isn't it?

I'm quoting my post from Polo thread. further details can be found in the Polo thread.
(Mods, I felt it important to quote my whole post. please remove it if you find in otherwise)

When our smaller and "more common" car polo took a week to get its 1st service done, your big and "rare" car taking 60 days for accident repair is no surprise to me at all...especially when the dealer in question is VW downtown Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Our 1.6 Polo Highline was due for the 1yr/15k service.
It has completed 8k on the ODO but completed 1year.
My BIL asked me how much would the cost be? I told him that my 1.2 punto 15k seervice cost is 3.5k. (Since my car had a brake pad replacement, I had paid 6K+)
Since it is a known fact that Polo maintenance is expensive I told that it may come up to 10k (It needed no replacements).

He was surprised but then he remembered my statement during the time of buying, that Polo is expensive to maintain.
He chose this car among other options, because of the VW brand image.

He called up VW Downtown on Magrath road to book an appointment.
They gave the appointment on 5th June.
Upon asking, the receptionist in the service area gave the same expectation of 10k.

The car was picked up from home on time and after it reached there, the SA promptly called to enquire about any specific problem- There were none.
He then gave the estimate of 14k. we were like .
On telling that the receptionist gave an estimate which was far different from what he told, he answered saying that the receptionist gave the estimate for 1.2 and not 1.6.
Fine, we said and he told that the car would be delivered on 7th.
Though 2 days is too much for this, wew were not bothered since it is generally not used during weekdays.

Yesterday, 6th of June, We recieved a call from the SA.
To our horror he informed that the car was hit by another car by another customer. The rear left door is dented.
So we asked what should we be doing? He apologised and told that they will repair it at no extra cost but it will consume 2 more days.

We doubt that it was not some other customer but someone out of them would have done this.
But the consolation was atleast he admitted his mistake.

We told him that at any cost we need the car by friday and if there is any scratch apart from what was present when the car was given, we will not accept it.
We didn't have time to go there and see the actual damage.

Should we have done anything differently?
Also guys, is 14k around the average price for 15k service for a polo 1.6?

So much for brand value
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quoting #4507 from the Vento review thread. If yours is a black Polo then the below mentioned incident should be interesting to you!

Cheers!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 20:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
I rang VW Downtown about the chipped reflectors. I was told to go to Hosur Road. I have spent too much time on this.
I have emailed them with pictures, copying VW customer care as follows:
When I was looking for a replacement for my Skoda Octavia vRS the VW Passat was one of the cars I considered. After all the Passat had features that few other cars in it's price-size category had. Eventually I 'settled' for a Toyota Camry. Sure I'd miss the "doo-dads" that the Passat offered. Toyota however gives me peace of mind.

The experience my Father in Law had with a Mumbai based VW dealer (Tornado Motors) was documented on TBHP not 6 months ago. It lends credence to the theory that VW does not police it's dealers like some other manufacturers do. Surely Tornado, Mumbai and Downtown, Bangalore are not related other than in their callousness with which they treat their customers. If this continues VW's slogan will soon become "Last Auto". VW has obviously and literally put their last slogan "Aus Liebe zum Automobi" behind them. They don't love their cars anymore.

The service their dealers offer speaks louder than buzzing newspapers.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote