Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 3rd November 2012, 11:41   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: VW Downtown Bangalore take 60 days for a 2 day repair job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Behram Sir, how do you contact the top executives of the manufacturer ? customer care sometimes seems robotised.
Dear Sunilrj - it's worse than "robotised". What's the use, haven't you heard of "surrogate E mail IDs" where a minion replies to you as the Boss? (don't make me open the proverbial pandora's box now). Very soon, it may be a call center employee! Process says "reply must go immediately", so "reply has gone immediately" but who has replied what to who is "content of the process" which is not defined or controlled! That's why you see SR1s ruling the roost! HaHaHa. .

This is exactly what I am trying to say, these guys sitting in ivory towers just refuse to even look down, let alone come inside the battlefield! Even if you manage to corner one of them inside the dealership workshop, the guy will always tell somebody to do something, that guy will nod his head and tell dealer to do something so you are back to square one. They only see excel files and trend analyses where each customer occupies one row of the excel file as a part of statistical data! The customer has become a statistic. Sad! We as customers must not accept this and demand a change.

That was the problem definition. What is the corrective action? This needs segredation of work content into two major areas, as follows:

1. Root Cause Analysis of what is it that is preventing the car from behaving itself in the hands of the customer? Mastery of visible progress in this area is absolutely essential down on the dealership shop floor out there. In the case of these "imported sort of" cars, the crux of the information is rarely given out by the parent manufacturer, if at all it is given, a mountain of pdf files come through so you don't even know what to search so you file it or give it to the dealer who can't make head or tail out of it but the guy can say "I gave everything", on top of that, the local guys who have it resort to hoarding it as a source of power!
2. Availability of correct part to correct car at correct instance to completely close the issue once and for all. This is the perfect case of "confusionism at its best" and it is easier said than done. This is the major major cause of customer anger, resulting in bad CSI in JDPower surveys. There was an instance where I had ordered a cylinder head. The consignment arrived at the exact time required but I got a small bolt for 55000 rupees! What face do I have to show to the customer? What do I tell the dealer who has inverted 55000 rupees? No answer!

For all the micro requirements inside 1 and 2 above, exact processes need to be first understood (for which you need "product clarity"), then written down, then implemented, car by car by car. The tools are:

ERA (Emergency Response Action)
ICA (Interim Corrective Action)
PCA (Permanent Corrective Action).

I hope something happens and things turn around for the better. I always have hope. But then, I am me naa!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 14:13   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Even Tata doesn't do that (printing bills on other paper. Atleast Concorde Cochin uses high quality pre-printed stationery. And this is a dealership that hasnt made a profit since inception).

This seems to be a case of a hopelessly mismanaged dealership where they dont give two hoots to customer values.
KL54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 19:54   #108
BHPian

Appalling. Period.
Even Hyundai has picked up from Maruti on the service feedback. They simply do not let go if you do not rate the SM.
I am so so glad that I decided to own a Toyota (Corolla) and a Hyundai (i10). The former is up for upgrade this year, but it is definitely not going to be easy finding a good car i guess. Just today, I was talking about how good looking a Polo is. Alas !
ajay9252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 08:27   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I did not let it end there. I wrote to a very senior person in VW expressing my feedback. I got a call from the national head of VW Service Mr Ravi Chandran. He apologised (this is the first apology I actually got!) and agreed that the time taken was absurd. He had read the thread. Summarising

4: Bangalore VW folks - do not despair - Apple Auto service is up and running on ORR Whitefield but the big launch will be after Diwali once the pilot processes have stabilisied..
THanks for sharing about the escalation to VW. And they seem to have given a satisfactory answer. As someone else has mentioned all auto workshops maybe having this problem except that maybe it isn't highlighted as much.

Anyway,I will write in about the VW Whitefield service experience soon perhaps on this thread. I am scheduling an appointment with them sometime this week since I have a 1800 kms drive to Pune and back and my VW is blinking for "INSP" i.e. 2nd servicing. Lets hope I get the appointment and hope I have a good experience with them.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 09:02   #110
BHPian

Default Re: 10 Introspective Questions

After reading through the hassles you & multiple customers have gone through, I am not sure I want to get my Vento serviced at Downtown. Some minor paint jobs need to be done too.

A friend of mine literally fought with them for 2 weeks for very minor paint job which might have taken 1/2 a day at max.

But do I have a choice ? I don’t think so :(

Note From Team BHP Support: Please do not quote an entire post in your response. It makes things difficult for our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by noopster : 5th November 2012 at 09:20. Reason: Refer mod note in post
anand_hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 10:31   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
And you think these are grave errors commited by the customer. You have an emergency problem to attend, but can be resolved in a short span of time say one hour, and you need to take an appoinment for that? Why can't they listen to the customer and attend to the car if the case is genuine rather than turning them away citing some technicality. Why can't they have something like quick service bay to cater to walkin customers.
If you open a service center 35Km from city center, you can't expect everyone to turn up on time. After all this is not a job interview or doctor's appointment. Even if you turn up on time do they value your time?
One of my alloys had developed some issues. So I called up Palace cross for the availability and can you believe the price they quoted.. 20K for a single piece.
My answer is in your first statement.

I will never turn up uninvited and expect my vehicle to supersede other customers' in Queque. In cases of immediate attention, I would still call and talk to a technician; ask if a slot can be squeezed.

As a VW customer, I have bought my vehicle knowing fully well that the nearest/best service is 'so many' kilometers away. Hence, I would plan my day accordingly to be there in time. I would rather be waiting than be late. I believe, a vehicle service center is just like a doctor's appointment...for your vehicle.

- 20k is a lot money. So how have solved this? This one of the cons. We must educate ourselves before picking up a vehicle what we are in for. Or wait, until they settle in the market (includes service and parts availability)

Last edited by bblost : 5th November 2012 at 11:54. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 11:35   #112
Team-BHP Support

The wheel and tyre on the Jetta alone came to Rs 35000!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 12:58   #113
BHPian

Post Re: VW Downtown Bangalore take 60 days for a 2 day repair job

Shocking, horrifying, alarming, awful, dire, dismaying, hideous, shameful and disheartening! Simply no way to treat a premium customer.

An absolutely nightmarish experience Ajit. Chanced upon your thread only recently; had no idea what ordeal and trauma you'd been through. Hats off to your patience, tenacity and meticulous follow-up. However VW Downtown has tested the absolute limits of your patience with this fiasco....and that takes some doing! Doubt I would've been able to hold myself together during those 2 months.

If 2 million bucks is eventually going to buy customers only heartburn, then I don't know what we're heading for.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 5th November 2012 at 13:00.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 18:55   #114
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: VW Downtown Bangalore take 60 days for a 2 day repair job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

I will never turn up uninvited and expect my vehicle to supersede other customers' in Queque. In cases of immediate attention, I would still call and talk to a technician; ask if a slot can be squeezed.

As a VW customer, I have bought my vehicle knowing fully well that the nearest/best service is 'so many' kilometers away. Hence, I would plan my day accordingly to be there in time. I would rather be waiting than be late. I believe, a vehicle service center is just like a doctor's appointment...for your vehicle.
There is something called as Maintenance service and Breakdown service. Poloman was referring to Breakdown service (any warning light appearing on the console is also equally serious). Logically, Breakdown service should not require an appointment since it is least anticipated. Service centers should have the infrastructure to accommodate the same. Just because VW dealers do not have the required infrastructure, does not make a wrong practice "Right".

As Poloman said "Even if you turn up on time do they value your time?" - Experience tells us that they do not. I had to wait for 3 weeks to get an appointment for my 3rd service. I was asked to leave my Car at 9.30am. I was at the service center at 9am itself. End result was the same. They were not able to deliver anything on time.

VW seems to be only Planning about acquiring market share. They seems to have forgotten that they need to have proper infrastructure to maintain the Cars that are sold.

We at Team-Bhp may miss our Doctor's appointment, but not a scheduled service for our Car.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 19:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

- 20k is a lot money. So how have solved this? This one of the cons. We must educate ourselves before picking up a vehicle what we are in for. Or wait, until they settle in the market (includes service and parts availability)
People like myself and Chetan were among the first customers of Polo in Bangalore. Our reviews have heavily contributed to the success of Polo atleast among readers of this forum. But we don't have the liability to defend every stupid act of VW or their dealers. We have waited more than 3 years for the things to settle down. But things have gone from bad to worse.

If you think that 20K for an alloy wheel is not a point to be criticized, either you are too rich to bother or does not know the ground realities of indian car market. We cannot buy a car dissecting the spare parts price list. If 3 years is not a time good enough to settle in the market, customers should not care a damn about such a company when you have 'n' other options. As Chetan pointed out if your car has broken down in no man's land, still are you ok to wait for 3 weeks to get a service, if informed so by the dealer?

Last edited by poloman : 5th November 2012 at 19:16.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 20:01   #116
BHPian

Default Will VW improve quickly?

Quote:

What has it cost me?
  • Have had to resort to borrowing relatives cars
  • Rs 5000 in increased fuel costs (the cars were petrol)
  • Standing in Volvo buses
  • 3-4 man days following up in person
  • Blood pressure
  • Heartburn
  • and the saddest of all, I was supposed to go on holiday with some friends (the ones we came back from Goa with) but I have no car!
Point # 3: Standing in Volvo buses -- Isn't it just another minor inconvenience after all? With the number of cars plying on road at peak hours, Bangalore is already having a problem and it is going to get only worse. My office is on ORR 5-6 km after yours. I try to park my car at home and take a Volvo whenever possible. In my personal opinion, we should try at least

Another point is about the possibility of VW service getting improved in the near future. Skoda being a VW brand, if VW has not been able to fix the issues at Skoda in all these years, can we genuinely expect them to fix it quickly at VW? I wonder!!

Last edited by B103 : 6th November 2012 at 20:03.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 20:14   #117
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Will VW improve quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Point # 3: Standing in Volvo buses -- Isn't it just another minor inconvenience after all? With the number of cars plying on road at peak hours, Bangalore is already having a problem and it is going to get only worse. My office is on ORR 5-6 km after yours. I try to park my car at home and take a Volvo whenever possible. In my personal opinion, we should try at least !
I don't understand what your trying to say. Are you saying it's ok for the car to be at the service centre just so he can use the Volvo bus?

Why keep a car at all in that case. The car is a flexibility that one has. He can either take the bus or the car, which is his choice. But to be forced to take the bus because the car is at the garage for a silly reason is not a minor inconvenience. It is a very big inconvenience to not even have that option.

Why should one pay an hefty EMI for a car only to be forced to use the Volvo bus? Shouldn't that be your choice whether you want to use the bus or not?
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 21:40   #118
BHPian

Default Re: Will VW improve quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't understand what your trying to say. Are you saying it's ok for the car to be at the service centre just so he can use the Volvo bus?

Why keep a car at all in that case. The car is a flexibility that one has. He can either take the bus or the car, which is his choice. But to be forced to take the bus because the car is at the garage for a silly reason is not a minor inconvenience. It is a very big inconvenience to not even have that option.

Why should one pay an hefty EMI for a car only to be forced to use the Volvo bus? Shouldn't that be your choice whether you want to use the bus or not?
I am not saying that it is ok for the car to be at the service centre so he is forced to use the Volvo bus. If it is difficult to use a public transport (Volvo) nothing stops us from hiring a more personal transport of a cab or an auto rickshaw either. Agree that it is all our choice.

Apropos, owning a car does not mean that we need to take it out every single time. This is true especially while travelling alone to work in a single car when a bus stop is easily available nearby. This is what I wanted to convey. In person, I was surprised to find the point of standing in a Volvo bus as a major irritant (irrespective of whether the car is in workshop or not).

There are lot of material available on the internet about the advantages of public transport in cities and sustainability without it. Posting some for your reference:
http://source.southuniversity.edu/en...ion-31178.aspx

http://www.civ.utoronto.ca/sect/trae...sportation.pdf

Back to back, since two moderators had posted vexing opinions, I am keen to know the stance of Team-bhp as a whole on green, environmental and other community living initiatives. Do we support them [or] are all that we are concerned about is the individual driver and his/her car?

Last edited by B103 : 6th November 2012 at 21:44.
Old 6th November 2012, 21:56   #119
Team-BHP Support

Ok - let me explain my stance. I started reducing using my Skoda and taking a Volvo

First: I need to walk 1.5km to get to the stop. Before you say healthy - I do intense gymming 3-4 times a week and self defence twice a week. since I started these late, I get tired!

Second: I need to get onto a volvo before 7.15am else there are no seats

Three - I have con calls with California till 10.30 PM most evenings

Four - I need to leave office around 4, to get a break for myself and avoid the rush hour. the interoffice shuttles are done by 3.15

Five - I work around different campus's some are directly on the bus route, some entail a muddy, dusty experience of dodging lorries and a further walk to the edge of a flyover to try and flag down a us and then another walk up the Marathahalli bridge.

Six - Peak hours - I might use the bus

Seven - Ever had a laptop biting through your back for 45 min

Eight - I am the wrong side of 40, I deserve some pampering

Nine - I commute during non peak hours

Ten - As they say in L'oreal ads- cos I'm worth it
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 22:20   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Ok - let me explain my stance. I started reducing using my Skoda and taking a Volvo
For a congested city like Bangalore, I thought we should ideally be encouraging people to use more public transport and carpooling. Heartening to hear that you are a indeed a proponent of that.

Apologies if I went overboard, my intention was only to express doubt if the Volvo statement conveys the right social message, albeit typed inadvertently.