Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 11th December 2012, 17:28   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota dealer in Gujarat cheats customers of 3 crore Rupees. Now absconding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
By the way what legal action could customer take in such situation? Case can be filed against Toyota? Any expert comments?

I knew someone will come to this point that's the reason specifically said 'Car Dealers'.

Are you sure? I mean are there any dealers selling multi-brand 'new' cars under one roof??
I think Toyota is in a way answerable to the customers. After all, the customers are buying their cars! They must investigate the matter and provide some assurance to the customers.
OT, even I have never seen multi brand new car showroom. First time I am hearing about such a thing
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 19:09   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota dealer in Gujarat cheats customers of 3 crore Rupees. Now absconding!

I don't mean to be disrespecting to anyone but a dealership in the heart of Gujarat that calls itself 'East Africa Motors' is, in my book, reason enough to arouse suspicion. Or raise a flag! I know and understand that there is a huge Gujarati immigrant population in East African countries like Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda etc. and that the proprietors probably either hail from or have their roots there. But surely, it is a strange name to have for a dealership here.

At any rate, some blatant questions do stare us in the face:

Did Toyota not do its due diligence when it screened and awarded the dealership to these rogues??
Did it not intervene with a request to change the name?? After all, you'd think a giant like Toyota would be extra-careful about their brand image and how a dealership - its face - is perceived by their customers.
Why were they quiet for the last few months as this scam was slowly coming to light?
Why are they still perched on their backsides even now?

If this is an authorized franchise, Toyota is liable for fraud committed by one of their dealerships. No two ways about it.

We are not a banana republic. And you cannot get away by wronging people.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 11th December 2012 at 19:13.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 19:44   #18
BHPian

^^^^ not really suspicious.. you should see the no. Of businesses named after Canada, England, and America in Punjab!!!
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 20:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
I don't mean to be disrespecting to anyone but a dealership in the heart of Gujarat that calls itself 'East Africa Motors' is, in my book, reason enough to arouse suspicion. Or raise a flag! I know and understand that there is a huge Gujarati immigrant population in East African countries like Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda etc. and that the proprietors probably either hail from or have their roots there. But surely, it is a strange name to have for a dealership here.
Why there would be any suspicion on the name? For sure, the owners have strong roots back to East Africa. Can you please care to explain what suspicion are you talking about for showroom name: 'East Africa Toyota'.

Quote:
At any rate, some blatant questions do stare us in the face:

Did Toyota not do its due diligence when it screened and awarded the dealership to these rogues??
Toyota did its research long time ago when they awarded dealership more than a decade ago. East Africa Toyota is in business since Toyota's entry into India. They also have couple of other dealerships as well. This dealer was fairly good until last 3 - 4 years (I know this because we bought our Corolla from here and from friends and family's reviews as well, as this was the only dealer for entire central Gujarat for a long time, and he was fairly good). Having said that, Toyota should have acted proactively here for its consumers for current scam.

Quote:
Did it not intervene with a request to change the name?? After all, you'd think a giant like Toyota would be extra-careful about their brand image and how a dealership - its face - is perceived by their customers.
Why would Toyota care to change name of dealership? Are you suggesting that having East African roots is wrong or conveys wrong message?

Quote:
Why were they quiet for the last few months as this scam was slowly coming to light?
Why are they still perched on their backsides even now?

If this is an authorized franchise, Toyota is liable for fraud committed by one of their dealerships. No two ways about it.

We are not a banana republic. And you cannot get away by wronging people.
+1. I will agree here. Toyota should have advertised heavily that they have cancelled the dealership, and not just a small press note. And they should have made sure that Showroom is not carrying any official Toyota logos.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 11th December 2012 at 20:03.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 20:27   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow if a dealer goes rogue then to me the blame and responsibility for the same lies with the Vendor. The customer is putting his faith in the Toyota Brand not EastAfrica.

For Skoda to a Mumbai Dealer had turned rogue and I think Harish faced an issue with the same dealer. Numerelims or something.

There are many small dealers in Mumbai that have taken up dealership of one brand first for 2-3 years then another one and then another one and so on. GM to Fiat to..

Companies should avoid making such dealers their partners if no trustworthy option is available they need to open factory outlets like done by VW in many places.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 20:42   #21
BHPian

Terrible to say the least! Doesn't Toyota realize that incidents like these will be much-publicized and cause them to not win but, lose customers!!
Another Skoda in the making?

With auto-makers like Hyundai publicly taking a dig at what Toyota has done to it's fortunes in the past few years and gearing up to NOT be like them...time for Toyota to really gear up and stop taking things lightly.

Also, i was of the opinion that, every dealership has a certain refundable fraction deposited with Toyota. Ideally, money from this pool should be refunded to the aggrieved parties. What's the use of this when the dealer has clearly defaulted and has run away for now. Clearly, pocketing the same is not a solution.

Regardless of this refundable deposit, the onus IS on Toyota to provide the requisite compensation.
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 20:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Disappointed with Toyota's attitude here. I have always maintained that for the customer the dealer is the face of the company and any dealings I make with the dealer in purchase of the car has to be looked upon by the company as a deal between the customer and themselves. Its not like that they give me an option to buy the car from company owned showrooms like in the case of fuel bunks where I usually prefer company owned outlets.
Although if the dealer has turned Rogue Toyota cannot really do much. They are sure at fault for not being more forthcoming about the news in the media, both TV and print.

I guess the customers can only file a cheating and fraud case against the dealer in question. I doubt if Toyota can be made party to the case legally although morally they should be.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote