Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 1st January 2013, 22:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Courteous Honda service after a nasty fuel mix-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
+1 to this.

I make it a point to step out of the car and stand next to the attendant filling the fuel. Helps to avoid malpractices that purely rely on the carelessness of the driver ( like not resetting to zero etc), and mistakes like fuel mix-up etc.
Even I also do that every single time. It indicates to the pump operator that you are not causal and mean business.

This kind of goof-ups happen very rarely but if it happens, the consequence is going to be dire. I was wondering if it difficult to incorporate some kind of mechanism so that the car itself can raise an alarm if wrong type of fuel is getting filled. Guess such a mechanism may not be that difficult to make using sensors. Again, this is not required if the owner is a bit vigilant.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 23:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I was wondering if it difficult to incorporate some kind of mechanism so that the car itself can raise an alarm if wrong type of fuel is getting filled. Guess such a mechanism may not be that difficult to make using sensors. Again, this is not required if the owner is a bit vigilant.
It is strange that the same nozzle fits in to both (petrol and diesel) cars. They could have (that is, both car makers and the petrol pump manufacturers) made them differently to ensure it is 'fool proof' and doesn't result in accidental wrong refills. It may be difficult to introduce such measures as system needs to be compatible with older cars as well.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It is strange that the same nozzle fits in to both (petrol and diesel) cars. They could have (that is, both car makers and the petrol pump manufacturers) made them differently to ensure it is 'fool proof' and doesn't result in accidental wrong refills. It may be difficult to introduce such measures as system needs to be compatible with older cars as well.
That's a superb suggestion, buddy.

As you commented, that this might not work for older cars, in that case, the nozzles should have an attachment which would go down correctly into the older cars. This way, both cases can be handled.

But, this would also imply that the manufacturers will have to change the body building process for petrols/ diesels slightly, which leaves me with very little hope if, they would want that to be altered :(

Again, a beautiful suggestion

Last edited by MetalBuff : 2nd January 2013 at 08:24.
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
That's a superb suggestion, buddy.

As you commented, that this might not work for older cars, in that case, the nozzles should have an attachment which would go down correctly into the older cars. This way, both cases can be handled.

But, this would also imply that the manufacturers will have to change the body building process for petrols/ diesels slightly, which leaves me with very little hope if, they would want that to be altered :(

Again, a beautiful suggestion
I have always thought about having the fuel lid on (say, ) driver side for Petrol and passenger side for Diesel would do some good - but for sure it is not a fool-proof system. The fuel attendants should be educated on this one again.

And obviously, what about the cars that are already on the road with the fuel lid in the opposite way? Chance of mix-up? - Yes. High.

Last edited by callvvijay : 2nd January 2013 at 09:04.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I have also heard that the nozzles of petrol and diesel dispnsing units are different in dimensions that a petrol nozzle would not go into the orifice of a diesel tank and vice versa. Not sure if this is a standard and adhered to everywhere especially in smaller pumps
Is that so ? Then the fuel tank orifices of the petrol/diesel versions of cars should also be different ie a Swift petrol tank orifice should be different from a Swift diesel and so on for the Ventos, Dizire, Figos, Lauras et al.
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:10   #21
BHPian

B103, your friend was very lucky to escape quickly. Had he driven longer it could have caused a lot more damage to the catalytic converter. But hopefully he learnt his lessen.

I, for one, always follow a three step process when I need to do a fuel-stop. Before turning off the ignition reset the trip meter, open the lid and get out of the car, ask the attend to fill petrol when you are standing besides the lid. This will certainly save a lot of future trouble.

I second the opinion on Honda RSA. They are indeed very prompt here in the west too.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
There used to be different sized nozzles used when we had only Petrol & Diesel, but now with all the different varieties of fuel available the nozzle sizes have been ignored. If I remember correctly the petrol nozzle used to be 20mm in dia and the diesel one was 24mm. That was the international standard and it was being followed in India also, but alas this is India.

Edit: These days we have different coloured slip covers on the dispenser handle, but most of the times these covers are missing. I think the standard colour scheme that is followed here as of now is green for normal petrol, yellow for premium petrol, black for normal diesel and blue for premium diesel.

Last edited by vikram_d : 2nd January 2013 at 11:15.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually the nozzles were made smaller when Unleaded was introduced.

Actually you find the fillers on both sides. For example some models of FIAT have them on the right (lhd artefact) while most rhd specific cars have them on the left.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:08   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As Vikram posted, your friend is indeed lucky that he didn't fill petrol in a diesel car! The repair bill would have gone to well over 1.5 lakhs.

Quote:
He had mentioned clearly to fill petrol but the attendant filled up diesel carelessly.
According to me, it's your friend who is even more careless. First, he didn't bother to get out of the car and supervise the fill. Second, the bill wasn't tallied, else he'd have known that the smellier fuel has gone into his car.

Trying to save 1 minute resulted in many hours of unnecessary effort.

Glad to hear about the competence of Honda's roadside assistance though. Thanks for sharing.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:53   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

With a coup[le of Honda's I am very much assured by the excellent treatment by their Roadside Assistance. Others should learn from Honda.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With a coup[le of Honda's I am very much assured by the excellent treatment by their Roadside Assistance. Others should learn from Honda.
+1. The experience here and others' experiences give me reassuring feeling about Honda's care for their customers. However, I wish that I will never be required to use them, particularly roadside assistance.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:23   #27
BHPian

Petrol pump should have ( at least busy ones) insurance coverage for damages like these. I still remember one incident where the filling guy put petrol in my BIL's c200 cdi n the repairing cost of 30k was paid by the pump's insurance ( I don't remember under what name the coverage was!!) . This happened in Coimbatore n yes the 'pump'people was known to him.
bhunu AMG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Your friend was lucky that it was diesel in a petrol car. Petrol in a diesel car would have been disastrous.
Could you please elaborate why it would be more risky if it had been the latter case?
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
According to me, it's your friend who is even more careless. First, he didn't bother to get out of the car and supervise the fill. Second, the bill wasn't tallied, else he'd have known that the smellier fuel has gone into his car.
You are right GTO. He too erred albeit unintentionally. Naturally, he was cursing himself more than being critical of the attendant in the pump. I know for sure that he loves that machine so much. In fact, he never expected this kind of a mistake to occur or else would have been more circumspect. Some times you learn from past experiences or hearsay.

Many times, people implicitly assume that others know their job the best and lower the guard. As seen here, this may to run into trouble.

Philosophically speaking, some times you turn out as unlucky too. I am sure, there are many people would have been driving their cars for years together without running into an experience like this - though they never come out to monitor refueling.

Last edited by B103 : 2nd January 2013 at 18:48.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Could you please elaborate why it would be more risky if it had been the latter case?
Source : http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...sfuelling.html

Diesel fuel pumps operate on very fine tolerances and at very high pressures modern systems run at between 350 and 1600 bar) and are lubricated by the fuel. Petrol in diesel acts as a solvent, reducing lubrication, and can cause damage to the pump through metal to metal contact.

Metal particles from the damaged pump can be deposited in the fuel causing further damage to the rest of the fuel system.

Some fuel system seals can be affected by the compounds in petrol too.

The further the contaminated fuel goes in the system the more expensive the repair. In some cases it can be cheaper to fit a new engine!
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote