Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 28th February 2013, 15:30   #1
BHPian

Default Bad Dealer Experience: Navnit Motors, Mumbai

I dont know why this happens to us all the time, but after the GenNext -Duster debacle, it is now Navnit Motors (BMW), that is playing mischief.

I had booked a BMW X1 sdrive20d, with the Authorised Dealership, Navnit Motors from the Malad Showroom, on 13th February 2013. After the booking and innumeral requests by me to get the Final Proforma Invoice for the car to the Sales Executive and Sales Manager, they refused to give me the same citing reasons of having to get the Finance done first. Even though the excuse made no sense to me.

Post making the payments and getting the approval for the Loan from BMW Financial Services on 23//02/2013, the Sales Manager Mr. Nipun and Sales Executive Nadeem Khan confirmed delivery of my car on Tuesday 26/02/2013. After requesting for the Invoice at that time too, I wasn't sent one.

While collecting the cheques and papers for the Loans, I handed over the Special Number Plates and its frames to the Sales Executives, so that they could have the same installed on the car for me while delivery.

On the morning of 26th February 2013, I spoke to the Sales Manager who confirmed delivery of the vehicle by 5pm on the same day at their Malad Showroom. Post this confirmation I arrived at the showroom for the delivery in Malad after a long drive from Navi Mumbai. I was finally given the Tax Invoice for the car and the Debit Note for the Road Tax.

On asking for the Road Tax Reciepts I was informed the Road Tax for the car WASN'T paid, even though the same had been charged to me already. I was informed the same would happen on the next day, i.e 27th February 2013 and that the car woud be Registered latest by 28th February 2013. I was informed that I could drive the car using the number I had already booked.

Since I had driven all the way for the delivery of the car and since it was an auspicious and anticipated day for us, we decided to take delivery of the car. After getting my signatures on some papers, I was directed towards the delivery area.
I was confused because I had booked and paid for a Alpine White X1, while the car ready for delivery was a Black Sapphire X1. The Sales Manager tried to convince me I had booked a Black X1, and I thought the entire thing was some kind of joke, but he looked really serious. And I had to show him the Tax Invoice which clearly stated an Alpine White X1. The Sales Manager then disappeared to speak to some Senior Manager and left us waiting for about half an hour. He then came and informed us that they had made some mistake in ordering the car, and the Alpine White X1 was still in the Stockyard in or around Bhiwandi.
This came to me as a complete shock as I was highly anticipating delivery of the car, and had taken an entire evening off for the same.

After some lame excuses I was promised by the Managers that they would deliver the car to my house address by 9.30pm on the same day. And so I had to drive back all the way home and wait for delivery of the car.
Before leaving I was handed over the Number Plates and Frame I had given for affixing on the car. But instead of the two frames for both the number plates, I was given only one back. On questioning about the second frame, the Showroom personalle accused me of having given them only one frame. I was furious at this accusation, but since it wasn't such a big deal, I let it pass.

The Managers gave me the Driver's number, and he managed to deliver the car by 10.30pm. Having been driven from Bhiwandi to Malad and then to my house, the delivered car was a mess on the outside and completely took away the JOY of getting delivery of a new car. There were also oil stains near the metal bits. None of the functions of the car were explained to me, since it was only the Showroom Driver who was delivering the car. Anyways since I had no option I took delivery of the car, and being courteous to the driver who was working overtime, dropped him off to the nearest railway station.

The next morning I bought a new frame and got the new number plates affixed on the car.
In the afternoon the Sales Executive sent me a message apologizing for the mishap, and also informed me that they had found the Number Plate Frame in their showroom and they had misplaced the same. He informed me that he was sending the number plate frame back to me. This was extremely irritating after being accused of not giving it to them in the first place. Also by then I had already bought a new frame. In any case I didnt want to make the entire thing a big deal, so I let it pass, and thanked the Sales Executive for delivering the car, and reminded him that the car had to be registered by 28/02/2013 as per the Dealership's promise. Before taking delivery of the car, I had specifically written to the Dealership that it was competely their responsibility to get the Car registered by 28/02/2013.

On the morning of 28/02/2013, I called up the Executives and Manager enquiring on when they would send me the forms for signing for the Registration and when and where I had to send the car for Registration. They informed me that they would let me know of the same in some time. In a while the Executive sent me a message saying it wasn't possible from their end to register the car on 28/02/2013, and the same would be postponed. They haven't even committed a date for the registration. And even if they do, I'm not sure they would stick to it.

I have now written to BMW India, and hope they intervene and get things sorted.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 17:53   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default re: Bad Dealer Experience: Navnit Motors, Mumbai

Hello Nikhil, Congratulations on your new BMW, it sure is a dream vechicle for many.
You are definitely far ahead of many many people.

Very unfortunate, you had to go through all these emotionally challenging and sentimentally depressing time just due to lack of professionalism and customer centricity on part of Navnit Motors.

Hope your escalation gives a wake up call to BMW honchos in India and they get their act straight.
shimshumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 18:48   #3
BHPian

I am shocked by your experience!
The way Navnit Motors has treated the customer is downright ridiculous. I mean, how can they even do it? If it was some minor goof up it can be excused, but trying to convince you that you booked the other color, accusing you of providing them with only one frame and to top it all the registration! Stringent action must be taken by BMW India against these culprits. This is definitely not expected when you are going for a premium brand like BMW. The arrogance and attitude is pathetic.
But I must congratulate you and appreciate your patience
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 19:47   #4
BHPian

Sorry to hear this from you Mohandas, as owning a beemer is a big dream for many of us. Navnit motors displayed their expertise in fooling their customers but what shocked me is a premium brand like BMW have no control over their dealers. Those idiots have made it their habit to tear apart the feelings of the buyers without any basic business ethics. They should be taught a lesson, so good that they never dare to fool anyone.
I wholeheartedly appreciate your effort and thanks for sharing the issue here on Tbhp.
I am sure that BMW India will do justice to you.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 28th February 2013 at 19:51.
junaid12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 19:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is shocking! They literally played with your emotions! I say , write a strong worded mail to BMW india and also post the link to this thread. That should make them up and running

I would say, dont let this go lightly.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post

I had booked a BMW X1 sdrive20d, with the Authorised Dealership, Navnit Motors from the Malad Showroom...
Congrats on the X1. I hope you got the manufacturing month which they had promised.

And thanks for saving me from the sales executive of Navnit Motors, Sawan Suwalka. The guy was lying through his teeth and had promised to deliver a non-existent December 2012 X1 vehicle to me.

It was only when you pointed out that they did not have any December 2012 X1s that I confronted him. He tried to get away by saying that he had meant December 2011. Somehow, I got him to agree that he did say December 2012 but he tried arguing that what difference would a few months make.

Earlier in the meeting, I had sensed that the guy seems a bit shady and hence I had clearly warned him that he should be truthful with me as I do not like to deal with dishonest people. Despite that, he lied about the month of manufacturing, so I refused to talk with him any more and threw him out.

I am sharing this since people should know about the lack of integrity of Navnit Motors and their staff. It appears that they do this regularly and that they even had similar cases in the past which went to Court. It also appears that they have a habit of getting your signatures in a rush and then later using those papers in their defence.

So just be careful when dealing with them and do not give a cheque or sign anything till you have seen and and read everything that is written.

Thanks Nikhil, for helping me out that day.

Cheers!

Last edited by lapsi : 28th February 2013 at 21:26.
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

How many cars does a BMW outlet deliver anyways on a per day basis? 2-3? Surely in single digits I assume. Is it even humanely possible to then get something as basic as the colour of the car mixed up? Or did they expect to pass of an older car to the customer expecting him not to notice the exterior colour he choose? Hats off to MSL and other bulk sale dealers who manage to get the colour right while delivering cars. The purchase of a BMW is always such an emotional moment in an enthusiast's life. Really sad that they ruined the day for you.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:06   #8
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bad Dealer Experience: Navnit Motors, Mumbai

Congratulations on the new X1 Wishing you miles of happy drives.
It's apalling to read about such treatment meted out to customers from dealerships of reputed brands whose products are pretty expensive
After reading your experience I can say that you are extremely gentle and forgiving and these guys have only misused that to dish out such bad service.
I think you should not have signed the papers at the dealership without a proper PDI, definitely not without seeing the car for yourself and verifying that everything is in order. Hope you will be taking this up with the folks at BMW.

Last edited by NPV : 1st March 2013 at 23:08.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 20:49   #9
BHPian

Thanks for your wishes guys. Post me writing to BMW India, the dealer arranged for the Registration of the Vehicle on 1st March 2013. I was told to call up some RTO Agent and coordinate things with him and take the car to the RTO. I flatly refused this, since I didn't want to be dealing with Agents and Bureaucrats after having already paid for everything. The Sales Executive hence came to the RTO for the Registration. There was some check done, and I was informed the car was registered but I haven't received any papers for the same. I also received a mail from BMW India, which I'm quoting below

"Dear Mr. Mohandas,

Thank you for your email addressed to BMW India.

We regret to learn that you are not satisfied with the promptness of your BMW Authorised Dealership, Navnit Motors and we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

In regards to your email, BMW India will investigate the matter with your BMW Authorised Dealership and revert to you on precedence.

We thank you for your patience and appreciate your understanding.

With kind regards,
Rajeev Joshi
BMW India Customer Service

Toll Free: 1800 102 2269
Mail to: Contact.india@bmw.in"

The Sales Executive apologised for the haphazard manner in which the delivery was handled, but the dealership hasn't made any attempts to improve the situation.

Let's see whether BMW India takes an action in this matter now.
mohandasnikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:51   #10
BHPian

Hi Nikhil,

I think you should not spare these rogues. You should demand compensation for the harassment, torture & mental agony you have gone through. In this world where customer is the king this should not be acceptable under any circumstances. This kind of behavior is totally unpardonable!

You should write to Mr. Philipp Von Sahr and make him respond to this matter.

On the other hand let me tell you that the other dealership is no good either! I have been dealing with them since the past 2 years and they are no less! The bottom line is that these dealerships just want to cheat and only 1 out of 5 customers raise voices!!!
xuv2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Nikhil first of all, Congratulations!
Secondly, I think you should take this up to the highest possible authorities both in Navnit Motors and BMW India.
Such business practices are not at all acceptable when you are buying one of the most premium brands in the automobile industry! Its just not acceptable under any circumstances let alone a premium or a not-so-premium brand!
It would eat up a bit of your time but I think you should get the matter done and dusted properly.
Our fellow BHP-ian sam_reviews_15 has also posted his experience with Linkway Honda which is also pathetic and unacceptable.
Once again Congratulations and many happy miles

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 20:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Nikhil: Sorry to hear about this. This goes into the "worse case delivery" section, I am sure.

By any chance: Is this the attitude of the dealer due to the heavy discount on the car? E.g. Not making enough money so why put in efforts?
I know it is not an excuse, but still just wondering.

Or is this a dealer problem itself?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 20:51   #13
Team-BHP Support

Congratz on the new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
I also received a mail from BMW India, which I'm quoting below.
I am sure BMW india customer care is overworked, very familiar email i am seeing. I still owe an update of the office BMW experience but in nut shell, Navnit Motors is one of the WORST dealer i have come across India. Forget BMW, even the worst of 2 wheeler dealership has better customer focus. These guys are arrogant and absolutely useless!
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 08:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz on the new car!

I am sure BMW india customer care is overworked, very familiar email i am seeing. I still owe an update of the office BMW experience but in nut shell, Navnit Motors is one of the WORST dealer i have come across India. Forget BMW, even the worst of 2 wheeler dealership has better customer focus. These guys are arrogant and absolutely useless!
Errr, ever tried VW Downtown?
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 00:25   #15
BHPian

Congrats on the new BM, mohandas. It is an absolute shame that BMW, and come to it, most other manufacturers in this country seem to be disinterested in what their dealers are doing and spoiling the company image. My brother only buys BMW and I know how good the dealers in south Africa are. It is purely a case of BMW management training their dealers properly and then keeping a tight rein on them. If tomorrow navnit motors change and become another dealer or close down, people will say BMW was the problem. Not good for their image
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote