Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 25th March 2013, 13:41   #16
BHPian

Default re: Manza's 2nd service = Bill nearly 10k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Please dont put all the blame on the SA. A car owner is also responsible for his vehicle. Esp in a place like that, where he could checked & said no. When a JC is made, it also provides the approximate costs.
A high indicative cost should have alerted your uncle. Did he check & question it ?
Does he have the JC copy with him ? Did you verify what was mentioned in there, and what was done ?
I completely agree with Condor on this. Every time I take the Safari for service, the SA will try to add as many items as possible which I politely refuse. Still when I get the bill, they would have added a few 'discretionary' items like some additive to the Wash bottle. As long as they don't exceed a few hundred Rupees, it is ok. Or I am allowed to whittle it down further. Last time they added some welding charge which came to some Rs.300/- I refused to pay saying that it was their fault that the nut had sloughed off when removing. They agreed.

It is best to always ask them to stick to the quote given in the Job Card before they commence the work. I tell them upfront I don't need any bells and whistles or you will get whines from me.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 13:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Manza's 2nd service = Bill nearly 10k!

Doesn't surprise me.
Off late Tata has started charging ridiculous amount for labour and parts.
In fact twice they had tried to charge for parts which were covered under warranty.
Our Manza bill comes near about this only for routine service but as my dad knows people at the service center we manage to get 15% discount on total bill.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 21:03   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Manza's 2nd service = Bill nearly 10k!

The jobs to be undertaken according the the manufacturer's instructions during each service are listed on the service coupons for the Customer's and the Dealer/ Authorised Service Outlet's perusal.

If the Dealer/ Authorised Service Outlet shows any more enthusiasm, without much logic at the customer's expense, his or her intent to loot will be evident.
The additives like Bardahl and so on can never be recommended by any car maker at least in our country, in the service book.

So its merely succumbing to the Dealer/ Authorised Service Outlet's tactics if one is not vigilant and gets carried away by those fellows.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th March 2013 at 21:05.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 21:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
An Uncle we know had given his Manza for its 3 rd service 20,000KM Service to one of the big dealers in Bangalore. Total bill close to Rs 10,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The jobs to be undertaken according the the manufacturer's instructions during each service are listed on the service coupons for the Customer's and the Dealer/ Authorised Service Outlet's perusal.
Apart from what Anjan has mentioned, the user manual will usually have a maintenance schedule chart, which one must refer before getting a service done.

A soft copy of the user manual for Manza can be found here: http://customercare.tatamotors.com/m...afire-OMSB.pdf

Please check the chart on pages 177 - 180. It will tell your uncle all he needs to know about what is to be done during each service. Then it's up to him to decline all the fluff that the SA suggests and get only the items in this chart done; nothing more, nothing less!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th March 2013 at 21:16.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 22:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The owner's manuals are there for a reason. But people dont read them .. Forget about looking up schedule service items
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 01:47   #21
BHPian

This is a rip off.

I got my Manza 20K service last weekend. I too got Wheel Alignment and Balancing done (last time I thought to get it done from outside and the day never came) so thought though its extra money but better get the same done than running another 10K without them....

For me oil 1341.66 (3.3L, synthetic , Castrol)
oil filter 365.33
fuel filter 1866.67
airfilter 267.56
alignment, balancing weights - 1100 (yeah I know its rip off)
Labour 867 - I am now wondering on the same, it was supposed to be free service
rest taxes
total 5397

as far as coolant is concern, there is a line in owners manual 40K KMs or 2 years. since my car was only 1.5year the service advisor said next time karva lena.

my friend was with me, and his manza was 2 years but hardly driven (13K). The same advisor said no need of fuel filter or coolant change as your car is hardly used and current coolant looks good. His total bill was for Rs. 35XX

Done at Concorde , okhla , Delhi
amit_arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 03:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were not told or asked about the "Snake OIL"
What you need to tell them very clearly is that you expect an estimate before any work begins else don't even think of asking me to pay. Then of course you need to know if what work they are telling you is really required... which is another story. But at least get the 1st part in place!

And also, next time try to entrust all the trust inside you, at home, with your dog (if you have one). For dealing with the rest of the world, esp. ASCs you would mostly be much better off without it.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 07:23   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_arya View Post
For me oil 1341.66 (3.3L, synthetic , Castrol)
That will be Semi-synth, not synth. Synth oil costs upwards of 800 per liter.

Quote:
fuel filter 1866.67
:( This can be squarely blamed on Fiat

Quote:
Labour 867 - I am now wondering on the same, it was supposed to be free service
Pls re-check the bill. The labour could also be for non-regular service items -if there are any. But if it clear states labor for 2nd /3rd / 4th Free service, then do take it up with Fiat. Not be left to fade away
Old 26th March 2013, 08:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We really dont know, This uncle trusted the @SS and this is what he got!

They never told us all these are required and I think the SA bluffed to the uncle telling him that engine flush and other crap is a must and recommended by the manufacturer!
AFAIK the car was already on Synth oil.
When you put too much trust on the SA and @SS this is what happens.

We were not told or asked about the "Snake OIL"
I think a fair bit of blame should go towards this practice of 'ignorance is bliss'. Why trust the SA? The company provides you with the owner's manual in which everything that is required to be done at periodic services is very clearly mentioned. While synthetic/mineral is not mentioned, it will definitely tell you whether the engine flush or fuel additives are recommended/required/not required.

Please do so now, and question the dealer on any items which were not recommended in the owner's manual and were not explicitly discussed and approved. And henceforth please make sure the Owner's Manual is treated like a Bible or Bhagavadgita, i.e. to be read every day and not to be stowed away in the cupboard.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but finally as a consumer you need to wake up and take responsibility for your own ignorance.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

From your bill this is a rip off. The labor charges can be disputed because it’s a 3rd free service and according to owner’s manual, the oil change is part of the 3rd service or 20k kms. However, the coolant is a complete rip off as it is not supposed to be changed before 40k kms as per the manual. The other thing that could have been avoided is wheel balancing, alignment. All this would have bought the bill down to 5k level. Please go ahead and dispute the labor charge & coolant change. Show them the owner’s manual. By the way which service center is this?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 19:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
That will be Semi-synth, not synth. Synth oil costs upwards of 800 per liter.
It was a yellow / gold 4 ltr of grade 5w40 can with MRP of Rs. 3200. But they charged that much amount (excluding VAT).

Quote:
Pls re-check the bill. The labour could also be for non-regular service items -if there are any. But if it clear states labor for 2nd /3rd / 4th Free service, then do take it up with Fiat. Not be left to fade away

yeah i am sure it is labour charge, I will have to check on the reason for labour cost. will pay them a visit this weekend or next and check with them on the same.
Old 26th March 2013, 19:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was a yellow / gold 4 ltr of grade 5w40 can with MRP of Rs. 3200. But they charged that much amount (excluding VAT).
Amit, your prev post quotes 1341 for 3.3 liters ..
Old 26th March 2013, 19:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Amit, your prev post quotes 1341 for 3.3 liters ..
I was charged Rs. 1341 in the invoice. However i was present when the oil charge was happening in one of the 2 manza's and it was a 4Ltrs Castrol can (sealed cap) with that price mentioned.

I compared my Manza invoice with my colleagues and we were charged same amount for Air filter, Oil Filter and Oil. He had some coupon so he got 5% discount which i did not got.

If i am not wrong, There were some camp running and they did a free battery check (tata green guyz putting some meter and a printout on health report of battery coming) and some free checks like AC etc too
Old 27th March 2013, 12:09   #29
BHPian

It's the same story everywhere.

Whether it's Tata or Maruti or any other ASC.

At 20K, the service advisor at Maruti got a Engine Decarb and flush and what not done on my car.

From that day I can hear a different beat when the car is on idle and running. Only I can make the difference.

Unfortunately this is not going to stop as 99.9% of us (general public) know only driving and it's a free ride for these SA's.

Is it any better with outside mechanic shops?
Once they get to know that you are not knowledgeable, they would also do the same.
BheemBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote