Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 23rd May 2013, 15:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Dealership delivers Omni without registration. Fined on Road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I guess this is a standard practice in Ghaziabad/Noida. Others from NCR can confirm.
I don't think so. I got two cars from delhi with permanent registration at the time of delivery. Bought one from Gurgaon whre they gave me temp registration for a month and provided the permanent registration within that month.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:44   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Dealership delivers Omni without registration. Fined on Road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I don't think so. I got two cars from delhi with permanent registration at the time of delivery. Bought one from Gurgaon whre they gave me temp registration for a month and provided the permanent registration within that month.
Please don't compare Delhi with GZB. Myself purchased few Delhi cars with permanent plate right from showroom!!
sharad_agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_agl View Post
Please don't compare Delhi with GZB. Myself purchased few Delhi cars with permanent plate right from showroom!!
I am not comparing Delhi with Ghaziabad. Just replying to Biraj, who wanted confirmation from others in NCR.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 16:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Yes, in smaller towns it is a regular practice to deliver vehicles without registration, either permanent or temporary.
Its not just smaller towns. I quite regularly see new vehicles without any registration on Bangalore roads (not even temp reg), unless you want to classify Bangalore as small town (which in some ways it is!)
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 08:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi sharad_agl , let bygones be bygones, time for to get things straight. Just get hold of someone in the RTO, an agent, perhaps and get your vehicle registration done. Is the vehicle still at the police station? If so, the longer it stays over there, there are more risks, such as damages, stolen parts etc.

You can get even with the dealer once your work is done and you're "safe".
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 09:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Put some pressure on their social site
https://www.facebook.com/MarutiSuzukiWayOfLife?fref=ts

to see if that helps. There is not much you can do when you have driven the car without bother about registration. Ignorance in front of law is not an excuse.

Even a temp registration should have been requested before taking the car out.

Its one of the items in the checklist before you step inside a car during delivery. I refused to get into my car till everything was clear and i was sure it was safe to drive it out.

Be it insurance, RC or even something as simple as a first aid kit. Not that we need that crappy kit, but its a habit to check them.

Current situation is that you got your registration and you need to work with RTO, pay the fine and move on.

Maruti will not worry about this case irrespective of what you say.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 09:44   #37
BHPian

I would agree with many here, that a little due diligence on OP's part would have saved the undue harassment.

I was totally newbie, when I bought my Wagon R in Dec 2011. No one in family or relatives had ever owned a car.
But one thing I worried most was about registration process, and thanks to online forums like this, I at least knew that you need a temporary number which is valid for one month.

I bought my car in Gurgaon, and Rohan Motors which was very close to my residence was one of the dealers I visited .

I felt they had no clue what documents were needed for Registration Process and also the sales people lacked the knowledge regarding the cars they were selling .
Also a quick search on internet reveals some unpleasant experiences with this dealer. That is when I decided not to buy car from them.

Interestingly I received a call from Maruti GM asking me about the feedback on above dealer , for which I gave my honest response.

Later I came to know that while I was giving my feedback on phone, GM had put the dealer on conference.

Based on my experiences I still feel, Maruti as a company cares a lot for their customers, and also keeps rogue dealers on their toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I had a few extreemly unpleasant experiences with Rohan Noida, Greater Noida and Rohan Gurgaon. I too think that it is best to stay away from Rohan. I had to sell off my 800 because of a Rohan's mistake during servicing.
If you don't mind can you share a bit more in detail, which location was it and what mistake they did.

Last edited by born_free : 24th May 2013 at 09:58.
born_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 10:56   #38
Team-BHP Support

File an RTI request to the RTO to find out what action or fine is given to the dealer for delivering an unregistered vehicle. Atleast, that way the dealer will be punished. do not let this go
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 12:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi sharad_agl , let bygones be bygones, time for to get things straight. Just get hold of someone in the RTO, an agent, perhaps and get your vehicle registration done. Is the vehicle still at the police station? If so, the longer it stays over there, there are more risks, such as damages, stolen parts etc.

You can get even with the dealer once your work is done and you're "safe".
Thanks for your concern. The vehicle was back 17th April WITHOUT its original key(lost by PS), empty fuel tank and jack. Such is the state of our PS and their care takers in India. MARUTI and ROHAN feels whatever I have suffered is due to "OVERLOADING" the omni with passengers!!!!!
sharad_agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 13:06   #40

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2013 at 14:15.
kartikeya.bisen is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2013, 14:18   #41
BHPian

I can understand the trauma of visiting the police station for the first time!

Imagine if your vehicle was stolen or vandalized? The trauma following it would be Epic! All i can say is pursue the dealer and reach an amicable solution.

Driving a car without the temp registration is a big hassle, and nowadays most dealers complete the registration before handing over the car to the customer.
Good luck and keep us posted the developments.
rajoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 15:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
If you don't mind can you share a bit more in detail, which location was it and what mistake they did.
I had purchased a used 800 (which had 44000 on odometer) and took it to Rohan Noida for servicing.Then I moved to greater Noida and at that time Rohan was the only A$$ there. They serviced it one day and next day the car stalled at busy kalindi kunj bridge due to over heating, got it repaired by local mechanic but it stalled again while returning back home to Greater Noida. Those days The G Noida expressway used to be deserted after 9 PM and it was 11 PM. I waited for car to cool down, started again, reached the entry point of Greater Noida, car stalled again, left the car there and walked 3 km to reach home at 2:00 AM. Later I came to know that the service centre had bent a pipe that circulated coolant which reduced the flow and hence the heating. Car was sold within a weak as the engine had suffered damages because of over heating.

Took my k10 to Rohan Gurgaon (as they are closer to Sector 56, where I live) last year for a minor problem in petrol flap. They took 2 hours to do a 10 minutes job. I had to literally beg them to either attend to my car or return it without wasting any more of my time. The falap developed the problem within a couple of days and I then took it to Pasco for permanent sollution.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 00:00   #43

I have owned most of the car brands over the last 15 years.My worst experience is with Maruti as of date.Real shoddy cars and service is going from bad to worse and absolutely no sense of accountability by the service guys.I am talking about calicut,don`t know about the rest of India.
sreejith1830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 07:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_agl View Post
My queries to fellow BHPian's-
  • What was my fault?
  • As a car customer, am I supposed to know all the legalities of CMVR law. Dealer should not have delivered the car without registration in the first place
  • Is'nt MARUTI taking its OMNI customers with a pinch of salt or they seem to be losing it to their dealers? I feel that if it had been a Swift instead of OMNI then the outcome shall had been completley different.
  • At the moment, my garage has- Honda Accord(current gen), Fortuner Auto, Innova and Ertiga. Never had such a horrible experience before. Never imagined that the law authorities and car companies asses you by the car model you drive.
So sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal. I myself went through a bad patch of experience with my T-Jet delivery and that is when I learnt more about registration and temporary registration and stuff.

First of all, no, the dealer is not allowed to sell a vehicle to anybody without registration. It is illegal. Because unless the registration is done, and subsequently the insurance, in case of an accident, who are the parties to be charged?

Car dealers often deliver the cars to the customers with TC number. This is not a temporary registration, but this is a Trade Certificate number. This is so that the dealers can ply their cars from say the trailer truck to the workshop. And from the workshop to the showroom (for display/delivery). A lot of customers think this is the "temporary" registration. And these TC numbers can only be driven by designated drivers of the showroom/workshop (there is a written record of these designated drivers).

Temporary registration is another thing and when applied for is valid for a few days (not sure how many). This is for taking the car from one jurisdiction to another. Say the car was purchased in jurisdiction A and transported to jurisdiction B and the buyer wants to register the car in jurisdiction B and wants to transport the car by driving it - that is where temporary registration is required. Or it is also used when you want to defer permanent registration.

Dealers often pass TC numbers are "temporary" registration.

The dealers and RTOs are hand in gloves when it comes to delivering cars on the basis of TC numbers. The dealers themselves tell the buyers to take the car. "No issues saar. You can drive it within town," is the favorite response. It is illegal. The dealers (all dealers should be banned/stopped/fined) for breaking this rule. Unfortunately, the way the automobile business is, the dealers want to sell and "deliver" the car to the customer before he changes his mind with so many vehicles to choose from.

I will give a clear example of how they the RTO and dealers are hand in glove. When I took delivery of my T-Jet, there was a change in the tax structure in West Bengal, so the dealer told me that there was a "glitch" in the tax software at the RTO office, so the delay. After a few days, I put a lot of pressure on them, then the dealer told me that as it was a 2011 model, the RTO wanted to take a look, so I had to drive the car to the RTO's office. Now, I believe that this "inspection" is supposed to be done by the RTO at the dealers (but I don't believe that is ever done - another point where the law is not being followed).

I told them that the car is not registered and cannot be driven on the public road, to which they told me if anybody (police) catches you, tell them the RTO has asked for the car to be brought to his office! Just imagine (God forbidding) what would have happened if the car met with an accident en-route to the RTO's office. The dealer and RTO would both back off. In fact, even at the RTO's office, no official actually took a look, but they sent an agent/dalaal to take a look, while some guy looked at the car from the 1st floor - from where he supposedly was recording the VIN. Supersharp vision. Beats Tiger Woods, I say.

As a buyer, are you supposed to know the law?

Well, yes and no. But in the end of it, I think the onus is on the government to enforce the rule. Don't let the critters sell any cars without registration. There is no other way.

Did you receive the wrong end of the stick because you bought a Omni? And it was not that Accord that you also happen to own.

I fully agree. Same for being hauled up. I get hauled up for "checking papers" more often when I am in my Wagon R. And have never been hauled up in the T-Jet. How many of these cops would haul up an Audi or BMW with TC plates? The exception proves the law.

Last edited by johy : 25th May 2013 at 07:21.
johy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 07:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Did you receive the wrong end of the stick because you bought a Omni? And it was not that Accord that you also happen to own.

I fully agree. Same for being hauled up. I get hauled up for "checking papers" more often when I am in my Wagon R. And have never been hauled up in the T-Jet. How many of these cops would haul up an Audi or BMW with TC plates? The exception proves the law.
Police and RTO will probably not stop you if you are driving a Accord because they consider you well "connected". A person driving OMNI is considered poor chap who can be bullyed easily! This is what we face here in India. It was the dealer who broke the law. Also you made a very valid point regarding TC which dealers usually paste on the cars. Everybody reading this thread please note- THE PAPER PASTED BY MANY DEALERS AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY IS TRADE CERTIFICATE AND NOT TEMPORARY REGISTRATION. TEMPORARY REGISTRATION MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A RC. TRADE CERTIFICATE IS ONLY VALID TO BE USED BY DEALER FOR REGISTRATION PURPOSE. PLEASE DON'T TAKE DELIVERY ON TRADE CERTIFICATE
sharad_agl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote