Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 25th May 2013, 07:44   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Dealership delivers Omni without registration. Fined on Road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_agl View Post
Police and RTO will probably not stop you if you are driving a Accord because they consider you well "connected". A person driving OMNI is considered poor chap who can be bullyed easily! This is what we face here in India. It was the dealer who broke the law. Also you made a very valid point regarding TC which dealers usually paste on the cars. Everybody reading this thread please note- THE PAPER PASTED BY MANY DEALERS AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY IS TRADE CERTIFICATE AND NOT TEMPORARY REGISTRATION. TEMPORARY REGISTRATION MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A RC. TRADE CERTIFICATE IS ONLY VALID TO BE USED BY DEALER FOR REGISTRATION PURPOSE. PLEASE DON'T TAKE DELIVERY ON TRADE CERTIFICATE
Sharad, you are absolutely correct. In fact, I think, as long as the car is not registered, temporary or permanent, the vehicle still legally belongs to the dealer and they should be charged for whatever your vehicle was challaned for. I would say consult a lawyer. The car legally does not belong to you - so long as it is not registered. Point this out to Maruti headquarters as well as the dealer.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 10:37   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Dealership delivers Omni without registration. Fined on Road!

I've been itching to say this when people shower praises on maruti for 'putting india on wheels'.The company didn't bother to give even a cosmetic change for their decade old product untill the Koreans landed on the scene. In a regular joe's experience, the most hideous dealerships are maruti ones and the company should be equally held responsible for supporting malpractices by their dealers. A no frills guy goes and asks for a particular car and he will most probably be said 'saar waiting period 4 months'. And his politically oriented neighbour might get the car delivered in less than 4 days. The poor no frills chap will get a call in about 3 months from the sales guy saying that he can speed up the delivery if some accesories ( usually in the 15-20K range ) is purchased from them. When such activities are most rampant at maruti dealerships, why sould people let the company go non penalized. I've read some where about skoda dealerships being cancelled by the company and never heard such a thing from maruti. For that matter I've personally experienced hyundai and even skoda services to be way better. The so called 'horror' skoda A.S.S even managed to get a part replacement under warranty, a couple of days after the actual expiry of warranty and that too for a regular joe. On the flip side the costs incurred are slightly higher , but worth it. I cant suggest what to do about this unfortunate incident, but i strongly feel that the company as well should be held responsible for their dealer's casual attitude towards this serious issue. God knows when some damn outfit will have a car bomb idea and it will be so easy for them to get an unregistered or falsely documented car because even used car sellers probably ensure some legality before handing over a vehicle.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 11:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
File an RTI request to the RTO to find out what action or fine is given to the dealer for delivering an unregistered vehicle. Atleast, that way the dealer will be punished. do not let this go
Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
First of all, no, the dealer is not allowed to sell a vehicle to anybody without registration. It is illegal. Because unless the registration is done, and subsequently the insurance, in case of an accident, who are the parties to be charged?
Car dealers often deliver the cars to the customers with TC number. This is not a temporary registration, but this is a Trade Certificate number. This is so that the dealers can ply their cars from say the trailer truck to the workshop. And from the workshop to the showroom (for display/delivery). A lot of customers think this is the "temporary" registration. And these TC numbers can only be driven by designated drivers of the showroom/workshop (there is a written record of these designated drivers).
Dealers often pass TC numbers are "temporary" registration.
As a buyer, are you supposed to know the law?
Well, yes and no. But in the end of it, I think the onus is on the government to enforce the rule. Don't let the critters sell any cars without registration. There is no other way.
And have never been hauled up in the T-Jet. How many of these cops would haul up an Audi or BMW with TC plates? The exception proves the law.
Quote:
THE PAPER PASTED BY MANY DEALERS AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY IS TRADE CERTIFICATE AND NOT TEMPORARY REGISTRATION. TEMPORARY REGISTRATION MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A RC. TRADE CERTIFICATE IS ONLY VALID TO BE USED BY DEALER FOR REGISTRATION PURPOSE. PLEASE DON'T TAKE DELIVERY ON TRADE CERTIFICATE
I am going to take the delivery of my new Liva today. This thread already has upped my adrenaline level. Thanks everybody to make the law clear to naive people like me.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 14:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
  • The dealer told Maruti that the vehicle was overloaded and the customer is telling them a lie . I talked to their customer care and told them this was not true and infact the complete challan report is with me in which each and every fine is mentioned. I even mailed them the scanned copy of the challan which presented the breakup and mentioned that total 3+1 people were travelling in the car. The challan was 10K for running vehicle w/o registration +15K for running without fitness + ~1K for without number plate,PUC etc..Total was ~26K. Bribes were paid at RTO and PS to get the paper work done. Total 27.8K
[/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
File an RTI request to the RTO to find out what action or fine is given to the dealer for delivering an unregistered vehicle. Atleast, that way the dealer will be punished. do not let this go
Hello Sharad, Sorry to hear about your bad experience. As others have pointed out, a car cannot be driven without registration, but that does not absolve the dealer of all responsibilities. They should be held accountable for misinforming you in the first place.

Have you checked with Maruti customer care as to what action was taken against the dealer for saying that your vehicle was overloaded which was clearly a lie?

And what was the action from RTO against the dealer for delivering the vehicle that was unregistered?
kaushikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 22:47   #50
BHPian

Waiting for quite a while from my permanent registration.
Car is on TC but parked at private garage and not driving on road.

Dealer is claiming that their Trade Certificate as a company has expired and will take a week to renew. Only then can the car be registered.

Can I act in any way in this case? Delhi RTO jurisdiction.
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote