Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 28th June 2013, 13:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Vidyut Motors Pune - Pathetic Delivery Experience

So I've thought long and hard about whether I would put a thread about this on TBHP or not. It's not my intent to harm anybody's business or reputation, but after the completely couldn't-care-less attitude I faced at the dealer's hands (top management, no less) I feel I should warn others so that nobody else buys from them without knowing how little they care about their customers.

Last month I had decided I wanted to buy a Polo GT after test driving the car several times. The sales team at Vidyut Motors were very helpful and organised a test drive no less than three times so I could do back-to-back test drives vs other hatchbacks such as the i20. So far so good.

When I enquired how long it would take to get me a Red TSI I was told they didn't have any in stock and it would take a month to get one. At that point I decided that I should evaluate other options because I had already sold my 8 year old Getz and I needed an everyday car to use.

Two days later the sales people called me and told me that they could get me a Flash Red TSI within 3 days if I confirmed the order immediately and paid for it in full. I was thrilled to hear this and immediately gave them the full payment.

Three days later I went to inspect the car before it was sent for registration, something I have always done, and thank goodness for that! When I saw the car I was instantly happy, but that happiness quickly turned to total disappointment when I noticed three good dents in the roofline of the car, immediately above the driver's door.

When I asked if the PDI had been performed on the car, I was told that it had been. This made my disappointment even worse because, clearly, their PDI inspection is utterly useless if they don't notice bodywork damage on the car.

I asked to meet the owner of the dealership so I could express my disappointment. I was introduced to the GM of the dealership, not the owner. I explained the situation to him and he agreed that the car was damaged. I made it clear that I would not accept a damaged / repaired new car and asked how long it would take to get another red TSI, because I urgently needed the car. He told me he did not know how long it would take to get a replacement at which I told him that I would like to cancel my order and get my money back. He then told me that they would not like me to cancel my order and that he would find out how long it would take to get another red TSI and revert to me. I once again reiterated that I would be compelled to cancel my order unless a replacement could be found within a few days, because I had only ordered the car when I was told I could get immediate delivery.

A couple of days passed and I called the GM to ask about the delivery position and he told me that he would let me know by Monday (it was a Saturday). Monday came and went and there was no news so I tried to call the GM again. No reply, so I tried the dealership and was told he was on leave! Ok....I asked when he would be back and was told that he was on leave for the entire week! Excellent! So he promised to revert to me on the Monday, knowing full well that he wouldn't be at work. That's great!

I followed-up with the sales people and waited three more days until Thursday, but they still had no idea when a new car would be available, so I told them I wanted to cancel my order and to refund my full payment that I had made in advance. They said they would refund my money.

They came to meet me without any refund and instead told me that I needed to write a letter and fill out some forms in order to get a refund. I asked them how long it would take to get my refund and they told me it would take FIVE days! Incredible. Five days to write a cheque. I asked them when the GM would be back at work and they told me he would be back on Monday (it was Thursday now, a week after I should have had my new car!). I decided that I would wait to speak with him before cancelling my order, in the hope that, somehow, he would have good news for me.

The following Monday I went to the dealership to personally meet the GM. When I got there I asked if the owners were available to meet me. The receptionists confirmed that they were available. I told them I'd like to meet the owners as well. As an owner of a small business I value customer feedback greatly and thought that the owners should be made aware that two weeks after handing-over full payment for my new car I still had no car and no information on when the car would arrive, not to mention that they were all set to sell me a damaged car in the first place.

The GM of the dealership met me and offered several excuses for why he hadn't got in touch with me for the past 11 days. He said he had sent me a text to tell me he would be out of town. I never got the text. What great customer service! Then I told him I couldn't wait any longer and needed to cancel my order. He again asked me not to cancel the order. At this point I told him the only way I would wait would be if they offered me another Polo as a temporary vehicle until my new car arrived. Any Polo. Petrol, diesel, one year old or three, I didn't care, so long as I had something to drive until my new car arrived. He told me he would organise for a stand-by car by the next day. When I asked to meet the owners of the dealership he told me they had gone home for lunch! Oh, nice! They were here fifteen minutes earlier but now they had left the buiding. How convenient!

Of course the next day no stand-by car came. I spoke to the GM in the evening and he told me he hadn't had a chance to discuss the matter with the directors of the dealership. He also assured me that he would get back to me the next day.

For the next nine days there was no information from the dealership about my new car, no stand-by car, nothing. I repeatedly tried to contact the GM, but got no reply. I decided that I would cancel my order. It had been almost a month since I gave them FULL PAYMENT in advance for my car. They didn't have the decency to even call me to update me on what the position was. The GM of the dealership repeatedly made promises and broke them. It was perfectly clear that he didn't give a damn whether or not I was being inconvenienced, disappointed or anything else.

I went ahead and made arrangements to get another car.

I finally got the GM of Vidyut Motors on the phone and I told him that I wanted to cancel the order. He told me my car had arrived! By then it was too late, I had already ordered another car from elsewhere. He did his level best to convince me that I should take delivery of the car. I firmly refused and told him that I was coming to the dealership to meet the owners and let them know what was going on! At this point he went into self-preservation mode and said, "But if you do that I will get into trouble! What about me?!". Wow! That was the last straw! He didn't give a damn about me, but was only concerned about himself!

I was completely disgusted by my entire experience but still didn't want to cause any problems for anyone, so I told the GM to return my money IMMEDIATELY or I would be speaking with the owners. I got my refund five hours later and there ends the tale. Funny how I didn't have to fill-in any forms or give them any letters in the end and the refund came in five hours, not five days.

I bought a Vento from them last year and still they didn't care about how they treated a repeat customer, not that a new customer should be treated this way either! Bottom-line...deal with Vidyut Motors, Pune at your own peril. They clearly don't care about their customers one bit and will never get my business ever again.
kbk_75 is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 13:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb re: Vidyut Motors Pune - Pathetic Delivery Experience

Yes, they are bad. Back in 2010 when I was looking for a new car, I had gone to them for a test drive of the Polo. First of all no one was there in the showroom to show me the display car. Also no car was available and after waiting for nearly an hour I came back without a test drive. The second visit I was offered a test drive but it was a very short one. After the test drive it was no-show. No follow up calls or enquiries as to what happened of my interest in the Polo. However, I went ahead with the Micra because I liked it better than the Polo. I guess B.U. Bhandari is much better VAG dealer than Vidyut Motors.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 28th June 2013 at 13:56.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 13:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Vidyut Motors Pune - Pathetic Delivery Experience

Sad to hear about your experience KBK. Vidyut motors has been an age old Premier dealer who moved on to Fiats and had a short stint with Maruti Suzuki before getting a VW and Renault dealership. Their track record is pretty poor and customer service is least of their priorities. I have never bothered going to them after picking up my Palio. I generally refer B.U. Bhandari as a dealer if someone wants to test drive a VW.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 20:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vidyut Motors Pune - Pathetic Delivery Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Yes, they are bad. Back in 2010 when I was looking for a new car, I had gone to them for a test drive of the Polo. First of all no one was there in the showroom to show me the display car. Also no car was available and after waiting for nearly an hour I came back without a test drive. The second visit I was offered a test drive but it was a very short one. After the test drive it was no-show. No follow up calls or enquiries as to what happened of my interest in the Polo. However, I went ahead with the Micra because I liked it better than the Polo. I guess B.U. Bhandari is much better VAG dealer than Vidyut Motors.
Exactly, zero follow-up despite assuring me they would and having taken my FULL PAYMENT! This is the most galling part. It's bad enough if you don't follow-up with someone who has just had a test drive, but to leave a fully paid customer in the lurch for nearly a month is just unforgivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Sad to hear about your experience KBK. Vidyut motors has been an age old Premier dealer who moved on to Fiats and had a short stint with Maruti Suzuki before getting a VW and Renault dealership. Their track record is pretty poor and customer service is least of their priorities. I have never bothered going to them after picking up my Palio. I generally refer B.U. Bhandari as a dealer if someone wants to test drive a VW.
You're quite right. This must be the remnants of their Premier customer service shining through! When I visited BU Bhandari to test drive the A Class Merc the customer service was excellent and I had to eventually tell them I did NOT want the car, so not to keep following-up with me! Chalk and cheese!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 22:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

You MUST speak to the owners atleast let them know how things work. Don't feel sad for the GM he's the one who treated you poorly in the first place. The least that can be done in such situations is letting the people know what they did was wrong and having them understand that as well. Hopefully they won't act the same way to their.
I kinda feel frustrated hearing of such stories mostly because the story ends in a manner that suggests that people will be given crap like this in the days to come too.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 09:40   #6
BHPian

Sad to hear that KBK. Speak to the owners if possible, and let them know their staff are playing games. After all it is your hard-earned money, and your personal trust, that they were playing with.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 10:49   #7
BHPian

I have a feeling that there was no way they could arrange for an alternate car in so short a time after you cancelled the allotted car (and rightly so!). They were not lying when they said they did not know when another car would be available. That is a common problem with almost all dealerships when the concerned car has a demand.

But what they could have done is to provide for a stand by car, additional discounts, free accessories etc which would be reasonable.

Here is where they decided to save a penny which was a huge mistake. And here is what the top management is all about. About managing customers. Which they did not. And which is what the GM was worried about. Losing his job or a sound firing at the least.

A pity the owners still do not know the reason behind your cancellation. They would have been made to believe that you were a total hard nut who was adamant on refund after the first delivery was cancelled and the owners would complement the GM for trying to 'convince' you for a month !
revintup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 14:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
I have a feeling that there was no way they could arrange for an alternate car in so short a time after you cancelled the allotted car (and rightly so!). They were not lying when they said they did not know when another car would be available. That is a common problem with almost all dealerships when the concerned car has a demand.

But what they could have done is to provide for a stand by car, additional discounts, free accessories etc which would be reasonable.

Here is where they decided to save a penny which was a huge mistake. And here is what the top management is all about. About managing customers. Which they did not. And which is what the GM was worried about. Losing his job or a sound firing at the least.

A pity the owners still do not know the reason behind your cancellation. They would have been made to believe that you were a total hard nut who was adamant on refund after the first delivery was cancelled and the owners would complement the GM for trying to 'convince' you for a month !
No, I realise the TSIs are in short supply atm and there was no way they could get a car from the factory any quicker. That was not the core of the issue, however.

They should have given me back my money immediately and just kept a refundable token once they realised the car they offered me was damaged. They should also have had the decency to keep me updated periodically on the estimated delivery position, over the phone.

Lastly having met me on the 10th of June and having committed to offer me a stand-by car they should have made certain they followed-up on that commitment, not just let ten more days pass without so much as a phone call, yet again. Worst of all is that the GM of the dealership is guilty of this absolutely slip-shod behaviour so what can you expect of his subordinates?

At any rate I have sent a complaint directly to VW India so I'm quite sure the owners of the dealership will be hearing from them. I have no desire to have any further dealings with Vidyut. This is 2013, not 1973; the game has moved on.

Yes, the GM probably made it out to be my fault to the owners, I have little doubt of that. All he was concerned with was himself. There was zero communication, zero remorse and, in the end, no loss to him. This is where the internet is a great leveler, though. People will hear about it and word of mouth is still one of the strongest tools both for or against any business.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 29th June 2013 at 14:46.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 16:24   #9
BHPian

please delete this post. by mistake posted under this thread instead of Sai Service. Now posted under Sai Service.

Last edited by rohit0103 : 5th July 2013 at 16:25.
rohit0103 is offline   Reply With Quote