Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 5th August 2013, 20:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Calicut: Honda's Franchise Change results in a Service Gap!

(Could not find an appropriate thread for this. Mods, please merge if necessary. )

This is regarding Honda Dealership in Calicut, Kerala. The Honda dealer in Calicut has been Peninsular Honda for several years now. A few months back we came to know that Peninsular Honda is winding up in Calicut and the new dealers for Honda in Calicut would be Apco. We have 2 Brio's among immediate family and we had a small concern on service and were told that will not be an issue. So we did not give much thought to it.

Now, Honda cars are normally known for reliability and hence one does not expect a Honda to break down. But this unthinkable thing happened last week. My sister took the car, started out and the car just died. A local mechanic was called to check and he found that 2-3 wires had been bitten through by a rat So, it was not a Honda problem in anyway, but in any case the car had broken down and needed to be fixed.

This is where the fun started. We called Peninsular Honda and their response was that they had already closed the dealership. The Service center also had been closed and we were directed to contact Apco. So we called Apco and to our surprise they said that they had not yet opened the dealership and when we enquired about service, that also had not opened and was expected to take another 2 weeks. So we were in a situation where we had a car that needed to be fixed an no authorized service center. All this happened between Wednesday and Thursday

Next step was to call Honda Customer Care (on Friday). They did not seem to have an idea about this situation but promised to follow up. Sure enough someone from Honda called and a couple of engineers came on Sunday and had a look. As I understood, they did a 'temporary fix' (I need to get more details here. I am in Bangalore and this info came from my sister) and left. But today morning again the car would not start. Another call has been made to customer care and that's where the story stands at this point...

My main concern in all this is that how can there be significant gap in the availability of the service center due to a franchisee change. Especially considering that Calicut has only one Honda Dealer and the nearest town with a dealer is 2-3 hours away.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 20:59   #2

Default re: Calicut: Honda's Franchise Change results in a Service Gap!

The dealership change really creates problems. Was usually getting the service done from Calicut. Every time they will call and remind before each service date, but this time nothing happened. Had to call and book service at Kochi and got it done last week from Kochi.
fais123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 10:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Calicut: Honda's Franchise Change results in a Service Gap!

^^ Few years back TATA customers had to face the same issue when Koyenco TATA closed up and Marikar was yet to open their center. However this time from Honda it is a bit surprising since Honda cars have good brand value in Kerala.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 10:41   #4
BHPian

Why not try Signature Honda @ Kannur?
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dealership changes can cause lots of uncertainties among customers. However, you can relax that you've got a Japanese vehicle and in a segment which does not use proprietary technology. You can always take it to a good multi-branded workshop and get any emergency repairs done. Sometimes, vehicle services are also better at such places.

I would say you are lucky that Honda also responded to provide you at least a "temporary" solution.

Last edited by nitinbose : 27th October 2013 at 10:56.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 12:11   #6
BHPian

Hi,

I can confirm that Apco service is up and running for a while now, as I got my oil changed from them on 3rd Oct 2013. It is situated by the side of MIMS hospital in Calicut.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 12:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Why not try Signature Honda @ Kannur?
Taking to Kannur would have had to be on a truck. The new Apco kept saying they would open 'today, tomorrow etc..' So we kept waiting. Honda directly did not suggest/volunteer to take to Kannur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Dealership changes can cause lots of uncertainties among customers. However, you can relax that you've got a Japanese vehicle and in a segment which does not use proprietary technology. You can always take it to a good multi-branded workshop and get any emergency repairs done. Sometimes, vehicle services are also better at such places.

I would say you are lucky that Honda also responded to provide you at least a "temporary" solution.
Car was still in warranty period. So did not want to take it to an external service center. There was no temporary solution done. They said they would try something, but it did not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Hi,

I can confirm that Apco service is up and running for a while now, as I got my oil changed from them on 3rd Oct 2013. It is situated by the side of MIMS hospital in Calicut.
Yes, the service center opened some time in 2nd half of August and they did take the car. Then they found they did not have all the needed 'parts'. And it took another 3 weeks for 'parts' to arrive and the car to get fixed. It was finally done around Mid September.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote