Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 26th August 2013, 13:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Sub-Par Service experience with Maruti Sales and Service (MSS), Naraina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Palio has a valve that shifts between hot and cold air depending on temperature selected. Coolant fluid flows through that valve. This valve had got jammed and was not moving because of the rust accumulated. And yes it was powdered rust. Everytime I do a radiator flush, I have this valve removed and check for rust accumulation and though there is accumulation, I see the quantity generally the same. Typically radiators piping should not rust since its made of aluminium (again depends on car). Some parts of the piping however (outside radiator) are made of materials that may rust. The propensity is high in Palio's. I have a 5 yr old SX4 too. I dont see any rust accumulation issues there and do not use radiator flushing. So what I say is that there is no golden rule, you look at evidence and take requisite action.
Btw please do let me know the color of iron .
Good to know that but don't all cars have a thermostat which acts like a valve for coolant flow?
And by colour of iron, I mean brown deposit colours. If you are living in an area where the iron content in water is high, then you might have noticed brown stains at places with regular flow of water. That is what I meant by iron colour
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 13:45   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Sub-Par Service experience with Maruti Sales and Service (MSS), Naraina

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Good to know that but don't all cars have a thermostat which acts like a valve for coolant flow?
And by colour of iron, I mean brown deposit colours. If you are living in an area where the iron content in water is high, then you might have noticed brown stains at places with regular flow of water. That is what I meant by iron colour
Yup all cars should have similar mechanisms. You could use that as evidence. There could be different ways of finding it out.
Brown is the color of rust, not iron.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 13:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Most car manuals recommend radiator draining and coolant replacement after 2 years or 60,000 K.
If coolant is never replaced then radiator may need flushing in 5 years or so It is not the rust ( Iron Oxide) but the organic compounds in coolants decompose over period of time and form deposits , Sometimes it is calcium carbonate and other minerals which form scales because garages use normal tap water rather then mineral water.
I think it is good to get the coolant replacement done outside A.S.S every 2 years or so in front of your eyes. You never know if they are really replacing coolant or just topping up in your absence.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 15:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Most car manuals recommend radiator draining and coolant replacement after 2 years or 60,000 K.
If coolant is never replaced then radiator may need flushing in 5 years or so It is not the rust ( Iron Oxide) but the organic compounds in coolants decompose over period of time and form deposits , Sometimes it is calcium carbonate and other minerals which form scales because garages use normal tap water rather then mineral water.
I think it is good to get the coolant replacement done outside A.S.S every 2 years or so in front of your eyes. You never know if they are really replacing coolant or just topping up in your absence.
I remember faintly of a mention that either Honda/Toyota comes up with a long term drain coolant that is good for 1 lac km/10 years. Wonder why other manufacturers including maruti is sticking to quality of coolant with 20000 km life.
Be it A.S.S or a roadside mechanic, its best to get everything done in front of your eyes. After all it is you who is paying for the service and shall suffer in form of breakdown/non-reliability if your car is not serviced properly.
Grr7 is offline   Reply With Quote