Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Closed Thread

Old 16th October 2013, 23:04   #1
BHPian

Question Full Payment Done. Any chance for freebies now?

This query is on behalf of a friend.
Just yesterday he informed me that he has booked an i10 Grand Sportz from Modi Hyundai and done the full payment as well. He is getting the delivery of the car after Diwali.

The problem is, while booking he didn't push for any discounts or any freebies alongwith the car. I wasn't there with him when he booked the car or else I would have definitely taken care of it.
He has done the entire payment in one go through cheque.

So, is there any way in which I can ask the dealer for complimentary stuff ?
If I am not wrong then dealers do value customers who pay at one-shot more than those who pay through EMI's right ?

-Bhargav
Old 17th October 2013, 01:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Full Payment Done. Any chance for freebies now?

Quote:
If I am not wrong then dealers do value customers who pay at one-shot more than those who pay through EMI's right
On contrary - NO , they earn more if you get vehicles financed through them as they get commission from Banks as well .

If they have already invoiced the car and applied for registration , you can only try but if they have just booked car , you can always tell them to hold the booking and request for cancellation Can give any reasons like different car / model , this should get you back to negotiating table
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 07:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
This query is on behalf of a friend.
Just yesterday he informed me that he has booked an i10 Grand Sportz from Modi Hyundai and done the full payment as well. He is getting the delivery of the car after Diwali.

The problem is, while booking he didn't push for any discounts or any freebies alongwith the car. I wasn't there with him when he booked the car or else I would have definitely taken care of it.
He has done the entire payment in one go through cheque.

If I am not wrong then dealers do value customers who pay at one-shot more than those who pay through EMI's right ?

-Bhargav
If the cheque is not yet cleared or made in an advance date then you could stop the payment of the cheque.

If not, You could request for a cancellation, giving a reason that you are getting a better deal on a different car or a better deal on the same car from some other dealer.
The sale executive might give you some offers/freebies just to retain his sale.

Try your luck (Y)
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 10:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

You will hardly get any freebies now, as the process is almost complete, and there is no incentive for the dealer to give anything free. You can threaten to cancel the booking, but if I were the dealer, I would have called it bluff, as the person has given full payment already.

All the best, but it's a difficult task to get anything more. Also I guess the friend doesn't care about such things, as he/she did not ask advice before booking.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 11:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

sure there are
1) ask them for a detailed cost breakup. there is typically an amount they allocate for an RTO bribe hidden under some head. Should be 2-7K or so. "Processing charges etc" "handling charges etc" More here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rges-scam.html
They probably will not be able to explain it. You should also hold your ground if they claim it is RTO processing charge, and should have data or contacts who should be able to prove that it is not. Ask for this money back! They will offer it in terms of some freebies than cash.

2) Once the car comes, do a thorough PDI. even the slightest nick or a scratch or missing item, raise a big fuss. After all, having paid the full amount, you are entitled to a perfect vehicle. Ask for discounts for minor things

3) if they slip on the delivery timeline (and this is again frequent). If you are feeling particularly malicious, then set up the delivery on a saturday, when they are fully busy , again raise hell and ask for a further discount or freebies if they screw up

Of course, this will entail some effort on your part, but there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th October 2013 at 11:26.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:22   #6
BHPian

I doubt it.
Its diwali rush and i10 Grande being a hot selling model I doubt if they will agree on any discounts or freebies.
Send another person and check if they are offering any freebies with new bookings.
A sales manager does not have to take extra permissions from top ups if the freebies are a part of regular deal and he should oblige you with the usual freebies.

But practically greenhorn ideas should work perfectly.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

forgot to add insurance. shop for a quote from outside, compare to what they are asking, and ask them to match, or at least reduce it.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

-Bhargav
When I was buying my car I had a similar predicament.
Should I push them really hard for discounts or just let it go.
I was buying my car on a loan. But its always possible to keep on negotiating and trying for a better bargain.

But I then calculated how much could I possibly save.
Maybe get cash and accessories worth 5k more. Maybe 10k if I could really really fight it out.

But the price of my car is almost 640k on the road.
So I decided to let it go.

Had a very happy delivery experience. No tension about anything at all.

Sometimes looking at the bigger picture makes these things look very insignificant. But that is just my way of doing things.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 13:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't see any point in haggling with the dealer at this stage. Negotiations should happen only before the funds are committed.

While I appreciate your concern for your friend, I'd suggest you not to spoil his car buying experience by making him feel nightmarish that he has lost something big.

You definitely can't negotiate and ask for a "Buy one - get one free offer" now. Bargaining/ Negotiating at this stage will only spoil his reputation amongst the dealer folks.

Let him be contended with the box of chocolates and the warm delivery experience he gets. Peace

Quote:
If I am not wrong then dealers do value customers who pay at one-shot more than those who pay through EMI's right
Dealers get a handsome cut from banks for the loan products sold thru' their outlet.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th October 2013 at 13:52.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 14:35   #10
BHPian

Thank You all!

Turbanator - Thank You Sirji, the thing you said about finance was something new to me.

Satyam - I had thought of the same solution, will give it a shot.

ani- More than being careless about asking for the stuff, he wasn't quite aware that he could get freebies along.

greehorn- I'll talk about the insurance surely Sir.
As you said, it will take quite some effort from my side. But the thing is I am having my exams so I won't be able to put time in it, and my friend is not a good negotiator. But yes, I can always check the car thoroughly during delivery and also as you said push it on a Saturday :P

Oh!O2 - That other person will be me definitely. Will go there once and check for the deal which I get on the same car.

bblost - Sir, you are right. I will try, but then getting 5k or 10k worth of things that too after alot of effort, on a 6 lac rupee car isn't worth then.

WarWithWheels - Aah! Well said! I should just try once but not be too feverish about it. If they yield then its good and even if they don't I shouldn't make my friend feel that he got a bad deal.

-Bhargav
Old 17th October 2013, 15:46   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Topic has been often discussed earlier. Please search before creating new threads on repeat topics.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread