Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 9th January 2014, 11:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Blog on terrible dealership experience at Pinnacle Nissan, Thrissur

Saw this blog doing the rounds on Facebook. Thought it might be a good idea to share it here.

Quote:
To: Nissan Customer care

Sir,
I would like to officially complain against a Nissan Dealer whom I had recently dealt with.
I had purchased a Nissan Sunny XV car from Pinnacle Nissan, Trichur and it was delivered to me on 20th September 2013.

I was aware of issue with the faulty braking system which led to Nissan calling back vehicles manufactured before April. I had also come to know that there were many vehicles which got damaged since they were parked on open yards on the rainy season. Because of these, I had requested the dealer while doing the business itself that I needed a car whose make and model was post-July 2013. They convinced me that the car in their stock was an August make and unfortunately I had no means to confirm it then but to believe whatever they said. Only after the car was delivered to me and I got a hold of the VIN number could I find out that the car was manufactured in February 2013 and not in August as they had told me and that I had been cheated. The glass/window in the corner also mentions that it is a 2012 model. The dealer had provided me the vehicle’s data sheet which mentions that the month of manufacturing is august. It was clearly evident that they had even touch-painted areas and scratches on glasses on meter. The floor interior and engine compartment looked dirty and nowhere close to a brand new car. I believe there were stickers on the windows and battery mentioning ‘February’ as the manufacturing month but it looks like they have removed all of them. In addition, they had also informed me that that Nissan is providing 33k worth insurance free offer and only when I received the insurance papers, I found that I was cheated further with insurance worth 14k.

I am herewith attaching the data sheet provided to me by Pinnacle Nissan which states that as per the dealer, the month of manufacturing is August whereas, as per the VIN#, the month of manufacture is February. I am also attaching the copy of the insurance and the quote they have given me.

Furthermore, when I approached the dealer regarding the issue, I was taken aback by their response. The managers team and the sales head of malapuram area along with a couple of other members reminded me that they have their lawyer to take care of the situation and as a common man, I will never be able to win over them.

I believe Nissan values customers and that was one of the reasons why I had selected your business. Hence, I have decided to contact you.

I am requesting you to consider this as my official complaint against the dealer. Dealerships like this might not work good for Nissan to be an established brand in India. I believe that there are many others as well who would have got cheated in a similar manner but I am not aware of how many of them would have approached you. I sincerely request you to further investigate into this matter to ensure that I get justice for my hard-earned money and also nobody else faces a similar situation in future.

Thanks,
Sherin
Blog on terrible dealership experience at Pinnacle Nissan, Thrissur-cornerglassyearandwindowyear.jpeg

Blog on terrible dealership experience at Pinnacle Nissan, Thrissur-datasheet.jpg

Blog on terrible dealership experience at Pinnacle Nissan, Thrissur-form21.jpg

Unsure as to why he couldn't get hold of the VIN prior to the delivery. Usually when we go for the PDI, we could note down the VIN of the vehicle and do a cross-check.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th January 2014 at 11:19.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 12:16   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Blog on terrible dealership experience at Pinnacle Nissan, Thrissur

So the Japanese manufacturers join the bandwagon of unfair practices. This is really a shameful act on behalf of the dealer and thing to look-out for is how Nissan reacts to this. If they do nothing then they are no diffrent from Skoda in India.
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 12:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Saw this blog doing the rounds on Facebook. Thought it might be a good idea to share it here.

Attachment 1188618

Attachment 1188619

Attachment 1188620

Unsure as to why he couldn't get hold of the VIN prior to the delivery. Usually when we go for the PDI, we could note down the VIN of the vehicle and do a cross-check.
Primary fault is with the customer itself. He could have done all the checks atleast before taking delivery.

Again, if he files a consumer court, cant he put the case on the SA who sold the car as well as the sales manager & dealership MD?

Edit:: I think the dealer dared to do it since there is NO direct dealing with the parent company and it's more to do with HAI.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th January 2014 at 12:22.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 12:41   #4
BHPian

Seeing the dealership stoop to such low levels is kind of mind-boggling. I mean, you cheat the customer on 2 rounds and have guts to ask him to do what he wants? When will we ever get solid consumer protection laws?
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 12:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy's story doesn't add up.

First and foremost, why didn't he inspect the car before delivery, and refuse delivery when the car obviously didn't meet his demands/expectations?

I can't believe this guy was informed enough to request a post-July 2013 car to avoid known issues with early-2013 cars, then takes delivery of a car without even a cursory PDI and is now crying foul at being conned?

Edit: Not condoning the dealer's actions. But as an informed customer (this guy seems like one, given his pre-purchase research), he pretty much led himself into being conned. Trusting a dealer blindly in a country with no consumer protection? Well, harsh as it may seem, you sort of deserve what you get for being so monumentally stupid.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th January 2014 at 12:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 12:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
...First and foremost, why didn't he inspect the car before delivery, and refuse delivery when the car obviously didn't meet his demands/expectations?...
I am NOT too sure of the PDI part in Kerala. When I bought my car in 2008, they flatly refused a pre-delivery PDI. I went ahead and took my car as it had a long waiting period and was fortunate to see the car getting unloaded from the truck.

When you ask for a PDI, they look at you like an alien.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 13:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am NOT too sure of the PDI part in Kerala. When I bought my car in 2008, they flatly refused a pre-delivery PDI. I went ahead and took my car as it had a long waiting period and was fortunate to see the car getting unloaded from the truck.

When you ask for a PDI, they look at you like an alien.
Forget a PDI, how about popping the hood (or checking wherever the VIN badge is located for a particular car) before driving off? Most cars these day also come with a factory sticker somewhere with the VIN on it, don't they?

It's a car purchase, not a 19th century arranged marriage where you can't see your partner until it's too late to say no.

I feel for the customer, he was cheated and it's his money down the drain ultimately, but I also feel peeved at how he tries to heap all the blame at the dealer's feet. It takes two to tango, and 'this guy' definitely danced his part in the con.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2014 at 15:32. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

There are a few things to note here.

1) First and foremost, I fully agree with @Arch-Angel. No dealership is to threaten the customer, what so ever. They are professionals and could have gone the official route, if a customer is of wrong. This practice of goondaism has to be stopped by the law and by the manufacturers. It's high time manufacturer's themselves come forward, without waiting for a law to be implemented, and give a rap on the knuckles for such dealerships.

2) Many dealerships in Kerala do not allow a detailed PDI by the customer, but at the bare minimum, the customer should have collected the VIN and cross checked. Nissan and Volkswagen at my place (both are dealt by EVM Passenger Cars) is supposed to display a sheet of paper which including the VIN on the windshield; I do not know about dealers elsewhere. Don't you want to see or know about the thing that you are going to buy with this huge money? Before agreeing for registration, one should definitely see/look up for the VIN number. This is an undeniable need of any customer.

3) This allegations put forth by the customer seems childish: "I believe there were stickers on the windows and battery mentioning ‘February’ as the manufacturing month but it looks like they have removed all of them".

4) And, some allegations by the customer is without proof. Including touch-painted areas, scratches on glasses on meter, floor interior and engine compartment looking dirty. It is normal that the year on the glass could be previous years if the model of the car is in the beginning of a new year. The things that he could go forward and cross check with Nissan is a) the vehicle data sheet mentioning Aug 13 as month of manufacture and b) insurance worth just 14k for a ~9 lakh rupee car!
thoma is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:45   #9
BHPian

The customer here is completely at fault which could be because of his ignorance. He must realise that the car cannot be changed once he has taken the delivery of the car from the dealer. Moreover, given the way Nissan operates in India these mails are not going to get him any result.

More, he pursues the more frustrated he will be. Some stories are completely cooked just to boil an issue out of proportion for the sake of stretching the complaint list.

If he has spend this kind of money to buy a car it is his duty to ensure that the car he is taking home is as per his requirements and specifications. Now, he will only waste his time by posting these complaints at various forums hoping that someday some solution would come to him.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 12:14   #10
BHPian

I think you should give the poor guy a break. Not all car buyers are part of team-BHP. When you buy something from an authorised dealer, you do expect them to follow some sort of ethics and etiquette. It is quite obvious that the guy has been cheated and he hasn't been given what he paid for.
Passing on a Feb car in Sept to a customer who has specifically asked for a post July model after making promises is indeed shameful. This can be expected by some corner mobile phone shop selling cheap Chinese phones, not from a Nissan dealer.
Regarding his other claims, I think he is just trying desperately to get some help and put his point across.
Beware guys, you could be a victim yourself too and I am not talking about buying cars alone. Ofcourse, we are the car pundits, ain't it?
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 16:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I think you should give the poor guy a break. Not all car buyers are part of team-BHP. When you buy something from an authorised dealer, you do expect them to follow some sort of ethics and etiquette. It is quite obvious that the guy has been cheated and he hasn't been given what he paid for.
Passing on a Feb car in Sept to a customer who has specifically asked for a post July model after making promises is indeed shameful. This can be expected by some corner mobile phone shop selling cheap Chinese phones, not from a Nissan dealer.
Regarding his other claims, I think he is just trying desperately to get some help and put his point across.
Beware guys, you could be a victim yourself too and I am not talking about buying cars alone. Ofcourse, we are the car pundits, ain't it?
That the person has been cheated is pretty obvious. But it can also not be denied that the customer made no effort to verify that his demands/expectations were actually being met, dealer promises notwithstanding. Checking what you've bought before you pay for it (esp. something costing lakhs) is a common sense thing, nothing to do with being an expert or a forum-member.

Most of us here are NOT individual experts (I certainly am not), just common-folk hoping to gain from a larger group's collective wisdom.

As for exaggerating claims in hopes of catching the company's attention, that can backfire spectacularly. The best course of action here is for the user to stick to provable facts and try to get a favorable response from either the company or consumer court.

P.S.: You're right, any of us can be a victim of unscrupulous dealers. This calls for us to be more careful when dealing with them. Our hard-earned money deserves some respect, our own foremost.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th January 2014 at 16:40.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote