Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 17th January 2014, 20:17   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down Auto Hangar & Mercedes Benz - Pathetic Service

I have 2 Mercedes Benz and regret having bought them for the pathetic service doled out each time by the service centre. Stolen Hub caps, Cigarette Lighters etc. post service have been all too common.

Now the high handedness of these guys have scaled new highs

This is in reference to my E Class car that has been sent in for service to Auto Hangar (Mumbai) which is an authorised service center.

The above said vehicle had a crack on its windshield and the same needed replacement. Auto Hangar was contacted in the mid of November and responded that the windshield is not in stock and we would be notified when the same would be available.

They responded on 12th December, 2013 and asked the car to be bought in. The car was sent over on 12th December and was taken in after due inspection by the Auto Hangar team.

They later let us know that the windscreen is still not in stock and will take more time. Shockingly an authorised service center took nearly a month to replace the windscreen.

The agony did not end there. On the 4th of Jan, 2014 we received a call that the vehicle is ready and we can have it picked up. When our personal arrived with the cheque and the inspection report to pick up the vehicle. The concerned person took the cheque (The Same has been deposited and encashed) inspection report into his custody and on delivering the car told the person that there was a problem with the Air Conditioner and would need further inspection.

Its amazing to note that the car was in perfect working condition when it was handed over for replacement of glass and no note of the air conditioner not working was made to us or in the report.

We have been trying to contact Mr. Farhad Vandrewala who is the so called GM for Auto Hangar. The gentleman has been evading phone calls / sms and whenever he attends them responds by saying he will get back to us. To be straight and honest, such people and their organisation are a stigma on your brand. I personally believed in the iconic brand and hence have purchased 4 Mercedes Benz cars (1 E Class & 1 C Class owned by me, 1 C Class purchased by my father in Law and 1 ML 250 purchased by my Brother last month) over a period of time and referred to all my friends and associates, however now my experience has turned really otherwise and i would personally refrain from buying Mercedes products for the rest of my life.

Its been more than a month now and i am without a car.
And this is entirely the fault of Auto Hangar and MB.

Several mails to Mercedes Benz have been unanswered. This also shows that the erstwhile golden era of MB has faded into the oblivion's of these well trained car thieves who call themselves "Authorised Service Centres"
MumBiker is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 21:15   #2
BHPian

Default re: Auto Hangar & Mercedes Benz - Pathetic Service

It is very strange that MB has not responded. If this guy is not answering your phone then as an owner of a Merc it is your responsibility to visit him and confront him with the facts.

You may have bought many cars from them and may not buy again, trust me this will hardly have any impact on Merc. It survives today because of the brand value and your post on social media will not desist others from buying it. It will be considered as your personal choice.

So, the best is to take time out of your schedule and meet the guy at workshop to get into the root cause. Try and settle it amicably as your own hard earned money is involved.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 02:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumBiker View Post
I have 2 Mercedes Benz and regret having bought them for the pathetic service doled out each time by the service centre. Stolen Hub caps, Cigarette Lighters etc. post service have been all too common.

I personally believed in the iconic brand and hence.......*snip*..... however now my experience has turned really otherwise and i would personally refrain from buying Mercedes products for the rest of my life.

Its been more than a month now and i am without a car.
And this is entirely the fault of Auto Hangar and MB.

Several mails to Mercedes Benz have been unanswered. This also shows that the erstwhile golden era of MB has faded into the oblivion's of these well trained car thieves who call themselves "Authorised Service Centres"
This thread appears to be more of a rant against a particular service center. While I too have my grudges about certain service centers (nothing wrong in that) but having owned many such luxury cars (that too from the same brand no less) for many years now, I wish a more balanced review would be posted by the OP. In my experience, every A.S.S. fails at some point or the other (even the good one). What I look for is the work culture/ethics of the service center. I have had problems with Autohangar and Shaman both in the past, but I prefer Autohangar's work culture personally.
It is a personal opinion based purely on my experience, but that doesn't mean, I don't refer people to Shaman.

Of course, one may say that what is the point in paying so much for such shoddy service (if what the OP says is true, then autohangar is definitely at fault), but that is not how things run in this country.

Your situation can be easily solved by one visit to the A.S.S. personally. next time change your A.S.S. to Shaman, if you are so angry with Autohangar.

Mercedes generally does not respond to complaints, and I don't think the situation is going to change anytime soon. The market here is still biased to the manufacturer. The only saving grace is that the newer Merc's are very reliable.

And sir, the golden era of almost every manufacturer has faded long back. The problem is not with A.S.S., and the manufacturer; it is with our culture, and law. Please, next time, post something when your anger has subsided.

For now, the best thing to do is, go to the A.S.S., meet the manager personally, and try and settle things amicably. Threats generally do not work (unless of course you can pull strings). I have settled serious issues and problems with my car just by visiting the service center once. Just remember to be careful next time, and forget about this incident.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 10:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

While I find the above post by Simple car to be balanced and pragmatic, the problem that we need to understand is,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post

Mercedes generally does not respond to complaints, and I don't think the situation is going to change anytime soon.
If only pragmatism solved all problems.

I think GTO also gets his merc serviced at Auto Hangar, may be he can share his perspective.

Last edited by F150 : 18th January 2014 at 10:31.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 11:41   #5
BHPian

I am not sure why Simple_Car smells a "Rant" here.

Is it because the issue is with service from his friendly A.S.S Auto Hangar ?

Or is he simply saying "Live with it" ?

Or is it a thumb rule that everyone receives good service, because he did ?

The car needed a simple service, which was to replace the wind screen.

The car was called in by Auto Hangar, If the windshield was not available why was the car called in for ?

Am i supposed to take a car back with a blown compressor and not complain ?

Why is it an accepted fact that manufacturers will not respond ?

Or is it that we should all take this in our stride and not even make others aware of issues that a consumer might face.

My major cause of worry is that the Air Conditioning Failure was first attributed to a blown compressor and now it seems its just an "O" ring.

How am i to believe this guys ? what happens if things start falling apart once it leaves the A.S.S. (the acronym itself is self descriptive of their attitude )

Couple of mails and calls to MB have not yielded expected results and Auto Hangar continues to evade and duck the issue.

My only request to MB has been to look into the issue and reassure me that things have been done in accordance with MB standards as expected by buyers of this iconic brand.
MumBiker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 12:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:

You sent the car when they asked you to bring it in. BUT when they told you that there would be a delay why didn't you get your car back??

You mean to say for a month you didnt know what was happening and didn't try to contact the service centre? Heck, if my car stays in the garage for more than 2-3 days I will surely contact the concerned person. Why the dealy?!

I dont believe this story. You only hand over the money after you are satisfied with the service and you have done the inspection.

My W211 (now sold) got a crack in its windshield too. Sent it to AutoHanger, claimed insurance and the car was back the third day. All this was done via phone and I didn't need to even call the service representative once. They kept on updating me.

Threatening them that you would refrain from buying Mercedes products will not do any good! You are just one customer it doesnt matter if your next car is not a MB , they have hundreds of first time Mercedes buyers! And that no keeps on increasing. I'd rather suggest you call the service head and talk about the issue, get it sorted.

Last edited by Y@SH : 18th January 2014 at 12:13.
Y@SH is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 12:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
You sent the car when they asked you to bring it in. BUT when they told you that there would be a delay why didn't you get your car back??

You mean to say for a month you didnt know what was happening and didn't try to contact the service centre? Heck, if my car stays in the garage for more than 2-3 days I will surely contact the concerned person. Why the dealy?!

I dont believe this story. You only hand over the money after you are satisfied with the service and you have done the inspection.

My W211 (now sold) got a crack in its windshield too. Sent it to AutoHanger, claimed insurance and the car was back the third day. All this was done via phone and I didn't need to even call the service representative once. They kept on updating me.

Threatening them that you would refrain from buying Mercedes products will not do any good! You are just one customer it doesnt matter if your next car is not a MB , they have hundreds of first time Mercedes buyers! And that no keeps on increasing. I'd rather suggest you call the service head and talk about the issue, get it sorted.
I completely agree with Yash, and this story is somewhat hard to believe. When we own a car it is our responsibility to take care of itself.

Why do we leave the car unattended at workshop for days without keeping a track of what is happening. The wait for a response from MB will not bring you any good. If they do not respond, then in that case do we believe that you will not collect the car from Auto Hanger ever.

Leave aside your anger, go and sit face to face with the service advisor, I am sure you will be able to settle things amicably.

Also keep in mind that the service advisor will never guarantee you that the car will remain defect free after it has been taken out of their workshop. A car parked for more than a month is more prone to rattles than the one which is running on the roads and is in use.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 13:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post

I think you would agree that you cannot drive a car with a broken windscreen.

and you just assumed i did not contact them or never visited them.

Regular follow ups were made and they would always say "give us some more days and it would be done" excuse.

I would have surely pulled out the car had they been very clear in the first place that they would take this much time. The broken windscreen and the faith that it was with an Authorised Service Centre made me think otherwise. Sadly i was wrong.

I am a travelling person and its very difficult for me to be at the service center or contact them on a daily basis.

Sad to know the fact that you believe that one should take it all lying down, not speak to anyone about it and fight it alone, would surely make the manufacturer and the Service Centers happy if everyone does that.

Anyways my only point of posting it was to make others aware.
MumBiker is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 14:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

@MumBiker Thanks for sharing your experience and you have every reason to be upset with the brand, dealer and manufacturer. I am quite surprised by some of the posts here trying to find fault in how you have been dealing with this.

There is a serious lapse in service quality. People suggesting otherwise probably have too much time on their hands to wait in the workshop lounge or have low service quality expectations.

The dealer is expected to service the car without causing any inconvenience to the owner. IMO, MumBiker has been very mature in dealing with this: he didn't moan why the wind-shield cracked, he didn't complain when they said the part is not in stock, he was willing to allow them to take their own time to procure the part and have the car dropped off for service, he wasn't complaining about the cost of the repair. I don't see any unnecessary rant here.

They called in the car without actually procuring the part. This is pathetic. This alone is a reason enough to be very upset. How can the dealer justify such a lapse? And then they just dragged it for many days by possibly saying "any time now..", if you have been in such situations you know the the days just add up so quickly before even you realize. You just want to be done with instead of getting the car back, and sending it again, etc. If no one follows up and apologises then you pretty much know you should not be doing business with them.

To make things worse, they have cleverly revealed the AC issue after collecting the cash. Shouldn't they be informing this much earlier so MumBiker can either dispute or combine this job with the on-going job? How the heck can they inform after delivery paper work/payment is completed? Full of malice. There is no other way to look at it. And manufacturer ignores the customer's complaint.

Overall, it is a bitter experience whichever way you look at it. It doesn't matter if it is one off case from Auto Hangar, they messed it up.
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 14:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways my only point of posting it was to make others aware.
You sure cant drive the car with a broken windscreen and I dont want you to either!

If anyone is giving you false promises you should avoid them. Days mean 3-4 max a week. If they repeatedly ask for 'more days' and didn't arrange for a replacement in time why didn't you just get the car back and send it to Shaman? As a customer you have the right and are completely free to do that! There is surely something cooking. It doesn't take more than a month to replace a windshield.

Time is money these days and I bet no one has the time to be at the service centre and see weather things are going well. Contacting the SA every second or third day doesn't seem to take lot of time and effort.

You'd have to agree rather than blindly stating that we are asking you not to speak about it, you are also at fault, for allowing them to keep the car for a month at the Service Centre. Its even Autohanger's fault, they shouldn't have called you before the part has been sourced and as an knowledgeable customer you shouldn't have left the car at the dealership for a month. There was a communication gap clearly.

Clearly it doesn't make sense to argue. As suggested earlier you should take it up with the head of service at AutoHanger.

Last edited by Y@SH : 18th January 2014 at 14:58.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 15:12   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Auto Hangar - Mercedes Benz - Pathetic Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
@MumBiker Thanks for sharing your experience and you have every reason to be upset with the brand, dealer and manufacturer. I am quite surprised by some of the posts here trying to find fault in how you have been dealing with this.

There is a serious lapse in service quality. People suggesting otherwise probably have too much time on their hands to wait in the workshop lounge or have low service quality expectations.

The dealer is expected to service the car without causing any inconvenience to the owner. IMO, MumBiker has been very mature in dealing with this: he didn't moan why the wind-shield cracked, he didn't complain when they said the part is not in stock, he was willing to allow them to take their own time to procure the part and have the car dropped off for service, he wasn't complaining about the cost of the repair. I don't see any unnecessary rant here.

They called in the car without actually procuring the part. This is pathetic. This alone is a reason enough to be very upset. How can the dealer justify such a lapse? And then they just dragged it for many days by possibly saying "any time now..", if you have been in such situations you know the the days just add up so quickly before even you realize. You just want to be done with instead of getting the car back, and sending it again, etc. If no one follows up and apologises then you pretty much know you should not be doing business with them.

To make things worse, they have cleverly revealed the AC issue after collecting the cash. Shouldn't they be informing this much earlier so MumBiker can either dispute or combine this job with the on-going job? How the heck can they inform after delivery paper work/payment is completed? Full of malice. There is no other way to look at it. And manufacturer ignores the customer's complaint.

Overall, it is a bitter experience whichever way you look at it. It doesn't matter if it is one off case from Auto Hangar, they messed it up.
Thanks a ton mate for all those kind words and understanding my dilemma.

i have been at the receiving end from both with Auto Hangars service and some members here, you just showed me a ray of hope.

Why would i be blaming a Service Center and the manufacturer when my car is still in their possession and with the risk of them taking me on legally for spreading misinformation ?

The advice that we are responsible for our own cars is like asking us to build a service center to take care of our own cars.

My fault lies in the fact that i placed too much trust on the brand and its service center.

I felt folks here would advice me on how to get this resolved instead of tearing me apart.

Take it lying down or ohh that's expected was not what i was expecting from my community.

We expect some luxury and priority service when we buy a big brand. Am i wrong to have expected that ? Why do we have to live with low expectations and Chalta Hai attitude ?

I would not over expect from anyone, but please give me whats due to me.

I am just asking them (MB) to reassure me that they have looked into the m,atter and i need not be worried. Is that too much for a manufacturer to do ?

I dont want to bow down my head, fall prey to the system and pick up my car. The simple reason for that is because it will strengthen their belief that they can do it again with someone else.

What else can a single user do, except to pour out his/her woes on the social media ?

I come from the world of Open Source and Sharing is Caring is what i believe in.

I would not paint every case that goes into Auto Hangar the same way, but would surely warn others to not be relaxed and take preemptive precautions that they don't suffer the same fate as a fellow Team BHPian.

Please guys i am not fighting any of you, i am fighting against a system thats trying to exploit my situation.

Thanks androdev once again for all that understanding.
MumBiker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 15:39   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Auto Hangar & Mercedes Benz - Pathetic Service

Quote:
Please guys i am not fighting any of you, i am fighting against a system thats trying to exploit my situation.
Dear mumbiker, the advise that you have received from the fellow BHPians is on the practical side. Today you are at a stage where MB has not bothered to respond to your queries in the last so many days. It is a clear case that they do not bother about customer complaints. Given this kind of scenario, your first and foremost action should be to get the car out of the workshop and gain control over it. What is the guarantee that Auto Hanger is again not playing around with your car?

Sympathy mails from members and bashing of Auto Hanger on this forum may work as an eye opener for others to be cautious but will not benefit you in any way. Your primary objective is to get the car back.

I would suggest that you contact your lawyer and seek his suggestions so that when you go to Auto Hanger to take the car, you do write on the bill and receiving that you are taking this car in protest as you have not got the desired response either from the manufacturer or the dealer. Then, file a case for damages and this will get you the compensation and mental satisfaction for the agony that you had suffered.

Legal system will be somewhat time consuming but will certainly not disappoint you if you can prove your part.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 17:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick word: the legal route is the last thing you'd want to do since it can take so long to get any sort of result, and that's before you even consider the time/energy/money expended on it all.

Like some say, try getting hold of the Service Head or a sympathetic ear high up at Auto Hangar and sort it out amicably. I'd say going to MB would be the next escalation, but it's surprising to hear that your mails to them have gone unanswered, so that wouldn't seem to help. I'm sorry to hear about the hassle and pain you're undergoing, but maybe you should explore some other A.S.S. after putting on the record with Auto Hangar and MB the grief you've faced during this one month you've left the car with them.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 18:40   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I too had many issues with Auto Hanger and have had major showdowns in the past and can sympathise with the OP. I'm so fed up that i have put up my mercedes for sale because i am terrified of dealing with them in the future.

One incident:

Car had gone for a regular service and a couple of bushes in the suspension needed to be changed.

When i received the vehicle, the steering column was moving and the adjusting lock below was not working. On bringing it to their notice, a technician came and fixed it and i was told that i should not try to adjust the steering position henceforth.

After a lot of heartburn did they rectify the issue.

Another issue:

While in warrantee the steering column had some vibrations (very minute) and i was told that I'm too fussy. Other people live with it. Again a lot of calls to the parent company and then they got a technician from Pune who came and solved the issue related to the power steering.

My building where i work overlooks auto hanger. I once called for my car to be checked for a minor issue and they said that they have too many cars and there and no place to even enter and i would have to wait a week. Only once i told them that i am at my window and can see that the place has not more than 15 cars did they say that i could come in immediately.

What i have noticed is that they are too used to dealing with corporates who send in their vehicles with their chauffeur and don't like to attend to clients who come themselves and know a thing or two about cars.

This one takes the cake:

The shifter was making a clinking noise and i went to mercedes forums and diagnosed the problem because by then i did not trust the company. Went to the service centre and asked then to specifically change a particular bush just under the shifter. They said that part was not available and would take a few months. So i asked my brother to source it from his dealership in the UK. He got the part for less than 2 pounds (autohangar did not have clue to the cost and said only once the part arrives can they give a cost). He mails it to me and i go to autohangar for getting it fixed. Then they say, why did i source the part, they had it in ready stock. Thankfully i had the sms from the SA stating otherwise and showed it to them and they got it fixed for me free (was hardly a 15 minute job).

The above are just a few of many problems faced at Autohanger.

Ofcourse, there are a few gems of SAs at the service centre but on the whole the attitude is just pathetic. And they tend to look down on you when you enter with a generation older C class.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 18th January 2014 at 19:03. Reason: added another point
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 18:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

@MumBiker this is a pretty supportive forum where we actually go overboard in bashing the dealers and manufacturers :-)

Just keep it cordial with the dealer (revenge is a dish best served cold) and make a concise case of your expectations leaving out all the masala. If you get them to understand what you are expecting from them and show persistence and personal integrity in sticking to your guns, there will be someone in the chain of command that will settle this thing for you. Btw, what are your expectations given where things stand?

I am surprised and maybe you wish to elaborate why you are not getting audience (phone call) with the GM of the dealership and an MB representative. They may refuse to offer a solution to your satisfaction but refusing an audience/discussion is very unusual and that is why some of the members feel something is missing here. You can try to find the contact info of MB regional service manages either through the other dealer or fellow members here. The case is incomplete till you discuss it with an MB rep.

Keep us posted.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote