Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 19th July 2006, 17:39   #31
BHPian

Hi Suman,

I called up Ford India's office in Chennai. I have pasted our email conversation below.

Dear Mr.Suhas Shivaram,
This is in subsequence to our earlier correspondence.
We deeply regret to note the content of your mail.We understand from our dealership that they had offered to repair the car and deliver the same in road worthy condition.We would request Mr.Kumar (Serv Mgr-98454-16514) to get in touch with you to do the needfull. We request your understanding on this.
With thanks & warm regards,
Dhushyanth.R.J
Customer Relationship Co-ordinator
Ford India Limited
Ph : 044 - 27459218
Fax : 044 - 27455177

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 22 February 2006 14:47
To: Ustmail, Customer (C.)
Subject: Ford Fiesta Problem ( Metro Ford)

Hello Mr.Dushyanth,
This is regarding my Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCi(KA 05 MD 1973) bought at Metro Ford on 25th Jan 2006. Recently on a trip I found the car steering vibrating too much at high speed (110+ Kmph). So I left the car at Metro Ford on the 21st of Feb to have the steering column checked. In the evening I received a call from Metro Ford service department saying that the car had met with an accident and the front bumper had to be replaced. I immediately rushed to Metro Ford to see the extent of damage. The service guys did everything possible to hide the real damage done and showed me only the front bumper that had been dented(badly) below.
Today (22nd Feb) I had the opportunity to inspect the car thoroughly at their repair center and found that the damage was more than just the front bumper.
The repair manager told me that there was damage to the left swing arm, transmission housing( which had slipped from the boltings), radiator etc. There was some damage to the alloy wheels also.
Some of the parts to be replaced as per his advice were the front bumper, transmission housing, left swing arm, radiator etc. I
believe there is more than just this as I don't trust the service personnel who tried to con me yesterday by saying that this was just a minor mishap. After asking him for an explanation as to how this happened I was told that the driver lost control of the car while testing at high speed (in Bangalore City!). I think he ran over a road divider.
I am requesting Ford India to take the necessary action immediately and I have no intention of taking back the same car ( which they said will be repaired).After believing that the Ford After Sales and Service was not that bad as people make it out to be and spending nearly 8.5 Lacs, please don't make me regret on buying a Ford.
I am also enclosing some pictures I took of the car.
Again please look into the matter or I will be forced to take the necessary legal actions.

Thank you,
Regards
Suhas Shivaram

I asked Mr.Jayakumar to put me to some higher authority and he said he had talked to the dealer and that I should contact them.
After this, I got a call from one of the guys I know at Metro Ford who told me not to accept the car because the repair cost was in the region of 1.5-1.75 Lakhs.
I called back Mr.Jayakumar and told him that I was taking legal action as I felt Ford India wouldn't do anything. I also asked him what the hell he meant by "road-worthy" condition. My uncle's 30 year old ambassador car is also in road-worthy condition.

Ford India and Metro Ford think its a joke to buy a car and whatever they do, the customer will accept it without any questions.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2006 at 20:38.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 17:39   #32
BHPian

Hi, so sorry to hear about the rough treatment from Metro Ford. It's great that you are dragging their sorry () through the consumer court. We really have to start being proactive in getting justice done. I too am dealing with some issues with Fiat right now. Of course it's not major like yours but it is frustrating to deal with dealers, manufacturers and workshops that either are incompetent, unscrupulous, or good for nothing.
shbhrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 17:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Their reply sucks big-time but its typical of what you'd expect from a customer relationship coordinator. I did use some devious means to get through to the regional head (I was initially getting a whole lot of evasive replies from the juniors). Anyway, good luck and I hope the ruling's in your favor
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 18:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Suhas, been following this, and will continue to. Feel very bad for you.

I'd say that since the problem was caused by the dealer, and not Ford India, the dealer is the one who should be resolving this. But then, some pressure from Ford would definitely help your cause. Also, wonder what's Ford's policy on such issues - while they would say that the dealers need to handle a customer's vehicle carefully, what do they say if the dealer damages a vehicle like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys, if you are doing a copy-paste when posting a msg, pls do a preview to check that only text shows up in your posts. Copy-paste from Outlook / word processing apps will typically show up the encoding that was used in that appln.

Last edited by condor : 19th July 2006 at 18:10.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 19:54   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Default In the west .. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
seniors, in the west what do u think the car company wud have done? scrapped the car or sold it to some unsuspecting customer?
This is the answer I got after I enquired. It shows the customer takes the hit - the signing referred to here is the authorization that we give on the JC, allowing them to test the car on public roads.

"Unfortunately - It is on the customer.. (He signed papers and authorized the dealer to take car on the road...). and the car is covered by the insurance of that person who owns the car...
If the dealer took the car for a test drive and damaged the car and there are two sides involved: dealer and someone else.. then depending on whose fault it is.. if the car was damaged by someone else's - it's the insurance of that someone will pay for repair according to the insurance standards..
in the opposite case - the car owner's insurance will pay for the repairs..

In all cases - the value of the damaged vehicle will be reduced - and this is a "direct" hit to the car owner.... in addition to the potential increase in premiums..

Unfortunately - this is not fair.. but this is the case.. "

Suhas, do you remember if there is any such clause in the terms and conditions of the JC / service request with Metro Ford ? [this would be typical of all auto dealers in India, I think]

regarding the possibility of selling the car to an un-suspecting customer, I dont think it can happen. Initially, the car comes back to the customer since the dealer had absolved himself of all responsibility when you gave authorization of testing. Any such damage and insurance claims would then go on record - pls refer my prev post on this point.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 20:32   #36
BHPian

Note from mod

We do not advocate destruction of other's property on this forum. Let justice take its painful task and use the media effectively. This board could incur liabilities for influencing violence.

Let us not stoop lower than Metro Ford's alleged level

Last edited by ajmat : 19th July 2006 at 22:11.
z klasse is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 22:17   #37
BHPian

In All legality..I'm not sure you will win the case since in most showrooms and dealerships the car reciept or Job card mentions very clearly- " Car Driven by Mechanic or Other Service People, At Customer Risk"..Some also mention, Car accepted at Customer Risk..The maximum liability the showroom has is to repair the car free of cost, and if you've signed on any such disclosure..It will be real real difficult for you, sensing which they have repaired the car with or without your permission. Good Luck..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 22:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

buddy thats a real sad thing with your baby....
blow s***t out of them
okie buddy this may help you..
the same thing happed with my activa.. the service station guy banged on the first service but then gave me new one without shellin anything for the same..
i think you did the right thing...
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 23:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
In All legality..I'm not sure you will win the case since in most showrooms and dealerships the car reciept or Job card mentions very clearly- " Car Driven by Mechanic or Other Service People, At Customer Risk"..Some also mention, Car accepted at Customer Risk..The maximum liability the showroom has is to repair the car free of cost, and if you've signed on any such disclosure..It will be real real difficult for you, sensing which they have repaired the car with or without your permission. Good Luck..!
I think we should have the law amended so that the consumers do not have to be at the receving end all the time
Sorry to be off the topic, but I am kinda of tired of all these clauses
1) You park you car somewhere you pay the parking fee but the contractor is absolved of all the risks by putting a one liner on the parking ticket "Contractor is not reponsible for the damages
2) same story with the valet parking you are paying for this in someway.
Etc. etc. the list goes on from the laundry to the cars

Its the same story consumers are just taken for a ride in all places
any legal eagles amongst us to see a way around this predicament
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 07:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

hey Shiva,
I'm sorry to see whats happening. Ford just go on to prove its a company that does not belive in anything that is real, and always trying to save their a**. The reply that you got from ford is a std reply from the foot soldier. you need to get to the top. Will see what I can do to get the details for you. i know its a little too late, but i will do my best to get you some contact. I know that "the legal" issues are one side to it, but as it was correctly pointed out, companies - such as Ford, dont like negative publicity. Apparently, i had read somewhere, someone who bought a ford endevour and the rear wheel fell off, and the dealer said the same thing. they woudl repair it and give it back. (no not the stepeny, but the rear wheel). so ford needs to save their bottom line! :(

good luck for your case, and i will get back to you soon!

M
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 09:14   #41

Exclamation Checkout for Bribery at consumer court

Pls watchout for bribery at the Consumer court. For all you know, they can try bribing the consumer court officials. It is easy to pay a bribe of 1Lakh when they are going to save 8 Lakhs! I dont know how to find out or handle this situation, but surely be prepared for this kind of thing.

-Maruthi
maruthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 10:04   #42
BHPian

I went through the job card(copy that I have) and didn't find anything as such on it. I was already told about this possibility. I went ahead inspite of it. Those guys need to know that they cannot just screw around and get away with it. I may get a repaired car back but I will make sure everyone knows the kind of service they provide. I told my friends about my experience and someone of them who were looking to buy the diesel fiesta backed out. So Ford already lost 5-6 potential customers. I guess they just don't understand and thats why they had to close plants in North America.
And when I said it to his face, the service manager's attitude was like "I don't care we still have a lot of customers".

About Ford India, I don't want them to compensate me, the least they could do is put some pressure on Metro Ford to solve this thing.

As far as bribery goes, they are not the only ones who know people in the consumer court. But I will keep a lookout for it.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 10:55   #43
BHPian

When you handover a vehicle for service , it is done on good will, the deaer workshop has to hoour e goodwill. In your case you have signed a job order absolving them of damages, theft that mayoccur when the car is in their possession. Thy have informed you o the amagealso and said they would repai it fee of cost also. So wa they have done is correct.

In my case my esteem was replaced because it had a inherent manufacturing defect from the day of delivery and so that was dONE

What I am trying to say is that, Ford has a used car division, ask them to evaluate the price oa 4 month Fiesta and sk the deale to add a lah o rupeesfrom his side take the maoney pay up the financier of the balance amount if any, and get a new car loan done and take delivery.
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 11:37   #44
BHPian

I have been getting my ikon serviced at Metro Ford and Cauvery Ford and both of them suck in after sale service and customer satisfaction. At metro Ford esp when I leave a car for service they get a authorization signed by us saying that they will not be responsible for any damages which might happen during the period i leave the car for servicing..that includes all test drives. I refused to sign that document and they refused to service my car without me signing it. SO it took it to Cauvery ford and got my car serviced there. Is this legal to get such an authorization signed by us? We should not bow to all these crap and raise our voices against this.
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 11:42   #45
BHPian

hey shaz, it is common to get it signed, when you pay parking again the parking attendent is not responsible, same way for valet paking, it i world wide phenomenon, it is legal also, what would you do if a friend would crasha up your car????, this kind of things do happen cannot help, they have not done it intentioally
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote