Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 8th April 2014, 14:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion27 View Post
I have got my ertiga serviced a couple of times from Sai Service Andheri and was satisfied with their work and charges. However I received a letter from Sai Service last week informing me that my next paid servicing is due after 5000 kms @15000kms when the manual says every 10000kms. When I enquired, I was informed that for Mumbai conditions the car must undergo servicing every 5000kms! They seem to be more interested in making money by fooling customers.
Wow,so as per them the service interval is territorial.If thats the case then the maintenance schedules must vary as per region.
The 5K game has long since being played by the svc's.On top of that always expect a bill no less than 5k.In my case,heres what I do.
Oil,oil filter change at every 7-8k interval (using delvac1 synthetic oil)
Air filter inspection at 5k-replace if necessary as i drive through bit of dusty conditions.
Service at 10k as per Service manual.
An operation manual is the bible,follow or adhere to it strictly.
I have stopped going to Sai Service because of their attitude.I was sent back at one time when i had the SVS light issue.The excuse they had-"Its delivery time so we can't attend" that too with an arrogant attitude.I lost my cool,came back home and shot a mail to Maruti and I got a call the next day and the issue was resolved.
Its this trust that I had developed with Maruti that still keeps me buying their cars.
Kudos to Maruti for their excellent customer support.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 8th April 2014 at 14:41.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 15:09   #137

Default Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
LOL!

So by this theory owners in the non-coastal region can have a service interval of 15-20K?

Anurag.
Quoting the mail I received from Sai Service "as vehicles in Mumbai run on tough roads and different weather conditions" is the reason for 5000Km servicing.
In fact, one of the so called service advisors told me that the life of the vehicle will increase if serviced every 5000Km. I asked him to mail me the same and he just disconnected the call!
blackstallion27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 09:49   #138
BHPian

The works manager claims that this noise is present in all Swifts. I do not buy this claim at all. I have recorded the sound, I'll try to upload it here in a day or two after some amplifying to make it audible.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 12:00   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The works manager claims that this noise is present in all Swifts. I do not buy this claim at all.
This is a very convenient answer that they all have. These guys don't want to put in any hard work and shoot arrows in dark. If the customer keeps pressuring then they say all Swift's have the problem and we can't do anything. Saying this they wash their hands-off.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 13:52   #140
BHPian

Even if we are to exclude the optional components from the bill, the overall service charges for a 20k run car are way too high! People seem to have this perception that Maruti cars are cheaper to run and maintain - which was true in the past, but over the years Maruti seems to have sneakily increased their charges under this perception making owning a Maruti actually more expensive than other brands! I say this as I own a Ford Figo and Ford has been struggling with the perception of high running & maintenance costs, but the fact is that just last week I got the 20k service done for my Figo and it cost me just 6.5k all inclusive!!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 14:08   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the latest update:

We dropped the car at Sai Service on Thursday. The front & rear noises was demonstrated to them in a trial drive. Supposedly their best mechanic accompanied us during the drive. Car was returned in the evening, after making some adjustments (their claim) and washing. When the car was delivered, the manager asked dad to send a mail acknowledging that the issue has been fixed. Dad refused and said that we will send an email only after confirming it over a couple of days.

We went out of Mumbai today and found out that the noise has not been fixed at all. There has been no change in it. Only some miscellaneous rattles from plastic panels have been fixed.

Contemplating further course of action now. Most probably we will ask for refund of the parts replaced under the pretext of fixing this noise (Labour- Balance Rod Bush Replace: Rs 1101, Both link rod replace: Rs 730; Parts- Support comp: Rs 290, Joint Comp FR: Rs 910, Steering Plunger: Rs 613). At least the parts, if not labour charges. I had not insisted on refund for these during our first meeting. We had reported this noise in job card during the 12 month service itself in March 2011, but they were unable to do anything about it, and now suddenly they figure out that these parts will fix the noise! I can very well insist that these should be replaced FOC under warranty, as the issue was reported during warranty period itself and it has not been solved since then.

Rear noise seems to be fixed.
I am not in Mumbai now, but I ll be happy to look at your car if you like when I get back in somedays and tell you what the cause of the sound exactly is.

If you had reported the sound during the 12 month service, then you have ample proof of getting the changing the entire steering unit FOC (if that is the cause that is)

Quote:
I have got my ertiga serviced a couple of times from Sai Service Andheri and was satisfied with their work and charges. However I received a letter from Sai Service last week informing me that my next paid servicing is due after 5000 kms @15000kms when the manual says every 10000kms. When I enquired, I was informed that for Mumbai conditions the car must undergo servicing every 5000kms! They seem to be more interested in making money by fooling customers.
Ask them to give this to you in writing and on e-mail and then CC it to Maruti.

The only thing that needs cleaning in a climate like Mumbai is the air filter. THATS IT. Clean it yourself every 3 to 4 thousand km and you won't need to go to any service station for anything in between those 10 thousand km.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 09:58   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Ask them to give this to you in writing and on e-mail and then CC it to Maruti.
I do have everything in writing and have complained to Maruti through e-mail and CC more than a week back. However, I have not received any response from Maruti. It is only Sai Service who called me after that.
Old 13th April 2014, 09:41   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, I have not received any response from Maruti. It is only Sai Service who called me after that.
Since the problem that you faced was due to Sai Service guys and the issue was addressed to Maruti along with the problem via an email, the next step by ATM (Any-Time Maruti) guys is to forward that mail to Sai Service head and get the issue resolved (read-if possible) and then the feedback goes to Maruti from Sai Service that the problem is solved.

Anurag.
Old 13th April 2014, 13:32   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
then the feedback goes to Maruti from Sai Service that the problem is solved.

Anurag.
Does that mean that it is possible for the dealer to unilaterally close a complaint saying that it has been resolved? and in some cases without taking any action?

Though this is what appears to be happening, it is quite surprising. I would expect a call/email from Maruti confirming that the issue has been resolved satisfactorily.
Old 13th April 2014, 18:23   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Though this is what appears to be happening, it is quite surprising. I would expect a call/email from Maruti confirming that the issue has been resolved satisfactorily.
Ideally yes, Maruti should have called you proactively asking for an update to the complaint. Whether it's solved as per your satisfaction or no?!

Here the dealer takes more control so matters don't reach Maruti proudly.

Anurag.
Old 19th April 2014, 18:45   #146
BHPian

Some updates. We dropped the car at Sai service again today. This is the last chance that they have for fixing the car. If they still cannot do anything, then we will not give our car for any further experiments & will press for refund of parts replaced supposedly to fix the noise.

The workshop guys are still sticking to their blatant lie that "all cars, even brand new cars, have this noise". If what they say is really true (and I don't think it is true), then this is a serious manufacturing/design defect in the Swift & possibly other cars like the Ritz based on the same platform. In that case Maruti should find a solution & recall the cars! Even our humble Maruti 800 did not have any noise from steering/suspension. I wonder whether they will give this in writing! I will definitely ask for it if they try to push this lie down our throats again.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:20   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some updates. We dropped the car at Sai service again today. This is the last chance that they have for fixing the car. If they still cannot do anything, then we will not give our car for any further experiments & will press for refund of parts replaced supposedly to fix the noise.

The workshop guys are still sticking to their blatant lie that "all cars, even brand new cars, have this noise". If what they say is really true (and I don't think it is true), then this is a serious manufacturing/design defect in the Swift & possibly other cars like the Ritz based on the same platform. In that case Maruti should find a solution & recall the cars! Even our humble Maruti 800 did not have any noise from steering/suspension. I wonder whether they will give this in writing! I will definitely ask for it if they try to push this lie down our throats again.
Can you do a little experiment for me and post ? Easy to diagnose the problem

Step 1 - Park the car on a flat road which has no sand or mud on it (clean), roll up the windows and turn the steering violently left and right. Do you hear a kat kat kat kat ?

If yes, its the steering damper, but just to be sure.

Go to an alignment guy and ask him to check for tie rod end play and bearing play by holding the wheels in 9 to 3 and 12 to 6 position. Both the front tyres. If not, its the steering damper

2) Go over a road with paver blocks and see if u get the kat kat kat sound, if it is indeed is coming on paver blocks, there are 2 things here. Stabilizer ends or caliper pins.

To ascertain, go over the paver blocks with the brake pedal pressed a little. If the sound vanishes, its the caliper pins which need replacement/greesing.

If the sound is still coming after the brake pedal pressing, its the stabilizer

Just do as I have told you and u ll pin it down to the T what is wrong.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 11:45   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can you do a little experiment for me and post ? Easy to diagnose the problem
Sure. Will try that some time in the next week or so. I can already give you answers to some of the questions.

1. Till now we have not encountered the sound while the car is stationary.

2. The sound will not come on well fixed paver blocks also. My gut feeling.

3. Caliper pin greasing was done in this service itself!

After some searching around, I found this thread (thudding noise in steering column of 980kms driven dzire vdi) which talks about a similar issue. The symptoms are all too familiar. Noise on bad roads from steering especially while turning to the left. A perfect use case to replicate the noise will be to to drive on roughly repaired roads - the kinds where potholes are filled up with those large stones and tar instead of proper asphalt.
Old 30th April 2014, 13:58   #149
BHPian

We gave the car to the service center for another round of adjustments. The front noise has reduced quite a bit now. It can be said that it is nearly back to the levels present before servicing.

Here is the latest mail sent to the works manager:

Quote:
A few additions/clarifications:

1. Hatch noise seems to have worsened after the latest attempt to fix it.

2. I absolutely agree with what father has said. I am not convinced one bit that replacement of parts has done anything to reduce the front noise. The fact that it took two rounds of adjustments to finally bring the noise back to original state (what it was before servicing) itself casts doubts on the intentions behind the replacement.

It strengthens my belief that this is what happened: The Service advisor saw a steering related issue, and seized the opportunity to blindly push steering overhaul & various steering related parts replacements without any diagnosis. All these jobs were completed hastily without verifying whether the issue has been fixed or not.

3. During our very first meeting at the service center on 22nd March 2014, you said you know that replacing these parts would not fix the issue. You & the service advisor may know it, but how are we supposed to know it? The service advisor did not deem it necessary to clarify this while preparing the job card. Why?

On March 22nd 2014, I did not insist on refund of steering related part replacements. But, considering points #2 & #3 above, I think it is perfectly justified that we demand refund of the part replacements (Balance Rod Bush Replace: Rs 1101, Both link rod replace: Rs 730, Support comp: Rs 290, Joint Comp FR: Rs 910, Steering Plunger: Rs 613).

The bottomline is that we am not satisfied with the service experience.

The point is that suppose the condition of the car is "x" before servicing. After servicing, it becomes "x - y". Then why should we shell out ₹ 3600 approx if it is going to stay at "x" even after umpteen adjustments.
Old 30th April 2014, 14:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We gave the car to the service center for another round of adjustments. The front noise has reduced quite a bit now. It can be said that it is nearly back to the levels present before servicing.

Here is the latest mail sent to the works manager:

The point is that suppose the condition of the car is "x" before servicing. After servicing, it becomes "x - y". Then why should we shell out ₹ 3600 approx if it is going to stay at "x" even after umpteen adjustments.
Firstly, NO SIR, the steeering noise is not normal and it absolutely does not come in every car. I don't know where you live in Mumbai, but when you do come Ghatkopar side anytime, give me a shout, I will tell you exactly where the sound is coming from and also recommend you a place too ( a MASS ) which will help you get rid of it.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote