Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 19th March 2014, 20:48   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vinod Agarwal drops the following email:
If you don't mind ask him what the below mean too and why are these needed for a car:
  1. Engine wax treatment
  2. Silencer Coating
  3. Service Pluse
  4. Headlight renovation
  5. Glass polishing
  6. Panel cleaning

Never heard of these 'services' ever from ANY manufacturer or ANY ASC!

Thanks,
Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 22:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refunded

This is the ultimate loot of the year. After reading this thread, I think Hyundai service is much better. I am surprised as my friends highly recommend maruti service for it's cost and quality.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 23:15   #63
BHPian

Some good news, finally. Dad got a call from Sai Service in the evening, from a fairly senior person in the workshop. I am unable to recollect his designation, but he is quite senior. He has asked to come over to discuss the matter. Most probably we will drop in over the weekend.

I suspect this is a result of submitting complaint on Sai Service website. Nothing from Maruti yet.

Meanwhile, another issue has cropped up AFTER the servicing. Some noise from the back seat area. It could be a plain rattle. I had noticed this last Sunday, Dad confirmed it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
AkMar,
You mentioned these 'extra' services were written on the jobcard. Your dad assumed it part of regular service.

Didn't they put an estimate cost also in the jobcard? For me, they always put estimated cost also. (Mine is not Maruti, nor Sai Service).
Yes, they did put an estimate of around 17K. Somehow Dad did not smell a rat even then :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am actually surprised seeing this thread on Sai Service.

I have been their customer since 3 years now

A few questions buddy
Yes, our experience too was satisfactory till 2012 when there were first signs of trouble.

I too have the same questions as you, which I will ask during our visit to the service center. It was not involved in any accident. But the fender clips do appear new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

This is the escapist attitude of Maruti. It is very bad on their part to avoid customer grievances like this. In my view you can approach the consumer forum to settle this issue if in case there is no revert from Maruti's end.
Lets see how things proceed before deciding on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Go to their workshop, meet the manager and make some noise. Maybe that would get some of your moolah back. Else just forget about getting anything back.
Yes, will do that. I am not too sure about the noise part, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vinod Agarwal drops the following email:
Thanks for sharing, GTO. I second all the questions raised by a4anurag. A naive question. Which MASS does Mr Vinod Agarwal own? A search in Team BHP leads to this thread (A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.), according to which he is the owner of Vertex Auto, Alwar. Is the same person being referred to in that thread?

Last edited by AkMar : 19th March 2014 at 23:19.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 00:11   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I too have the same questions as you, which I will ask during our visit to the service center. It was not involved in any accident. But the fender clips do appear new.
Please do ask them when you get to meet the higher ups there and show them this thread spooling here.

They should know the seriousness and idiocy they are doing in that MASS.

If the car wasn't involved in an accident and no damage done to the fenders whatsoever, then, why on earth did they change those fender clips?

What a proactive MASS! Thinks far and BIG!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 23:53   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they did put an estimate of around 17K. Somehow Dad did not smell a rat even then :(
So it means that the your Dad also must have signed on the estimate.

Then I feel that its wrong to completely blame the dealership.

The service person's job is to upsell and he found a gullible customer. If he has managed to get an estimate signed off, then it will be difficult to blame only the dealership.

Probably you should have gone their yourself or should have briefed your Dad about the approx estimate he should be signing as 17k definitely should have rung a bell.

Lets see how much you can salvage out of the situation
sharadmumbai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 08:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mints21 View Post

I think it is now evident that this is a open blatant day light robbery which is being encouraged by Maruti with full support from their end to the dealer.

By not responding to your issue they are further endorsing their "no care attitude" towards its customers.

The punch line of their advertisement should be changed from "India comes home in Maruti" to "Looted Indians by Maruti comes home in Maruti.

Dear Sir, Going by your views, I feel Maruti is also following the trend of poor customer service started by some of the most reputed auto brands in the recent past. I agree with your sentiments and it's high time for them to react. Maruti should understand the fact that 1 dissatisfied customer can create a big dent on their image.

Quote:

Maruti has deleted the posts on their facebook page once again! This time, someone else (a fellow member, perhaps?) also had posted this link 2-3 times. All those posts have been deleted. I still haven't received any reply to emails.

This is the escapist attitude of Maruti. It is very bad on their part to avoid customer grievances like this. In my view you can approach the consumer forum to settle this issue if in case there is no revert from Maruti's end.

To make you comfortable; You can approach to Pehredaar for this issue.

Here is the facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/Pehredaar

Thanks

AD
From Maruti's perspective, SAI Service is their customer. Hence they care for SAI more than they care for end customers. We end up thinking that we are the customers that Maruti would care for.

One can not buy a car from SAI if he or she do not want to buy insurance from them. At least 5-6 SAI centres that I have visited, the story is same. Maruti is very much aware of this. Now when they do not intervene in this illegal practice, why would they do the same on relatively trivial matter.

I had sensed this SAI Scam centre attitude long back when they tried to do this to me. I had reduced their 8000ish quote to 3000ish by deleting unwanted jobs infesting the job card. From then on, I have shifted to FNG for all routine work. Bought just 1 yr old SX4 couple of years back. Could have easily opted for 2 yrs extended warranty for paltry 12000 Rs. However that would have come with added burden of servicing the car for next 3 years with SAI and hence did not opt.

Now in the hindsight, I think I took correct decision. Unfortunately the most pampered auto brand of India is collaborating with its unethical dealers by resorting to deleting posts from facebook page.
sindabad.sailor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 08:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

I used to think maruti was very responsive in bringing errant dealers in line. I've read past stories about them having dealer staff fired for lesser offences. Surprised that they still have not even sent a token response.

Maybe Maruti too has fallen pray to the need to boost margins at the cost of quality service, and they are not the gold standard of service that they used to be, and more importantly, cannot be relied upon to bring errant dealers in line. Having unscrupulous dealers and staff is an occupational hazard. At least companies like Tata and Fiat make honest attempts to correct those issues. But as an organization, when you decided to wash your hands off dealers like Skoda, then it's not gonna end well.

I used to Rank Maruti along with Toyota in the flawless service category. Not any more I guess.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 09:45   #68
BHPian

Yes, deleting posts on Facebook was a shock for me too. I also have heard that Maruti "brings errant dealers to their knees" & other very good things about Maruti's response to customer's complaints. But it has not been the case with me.

Anyways, dad got multiple calls from the "Manager Customer Care" of Sai Service Borivali, and we will be dropping in tomorrow. Lets see how things proceed.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 09:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

This "SCAM" is everywhere in India to rip-off the money from seemingly less known customer. I would say it is daylight robbery. All such service are not at all required for any car and everyone should refrain taking such service from them.

I always strictly tell my SA that not a extra thing you should do on my car apart from owners manual instructions. Once I tell this to SA, his body language changes immediately and I can feel how irritated he used to feel, without any extra income for Service Center.

There is big need of awareness among common users of car to not to get into such traps of Service Center.

@Akmar: I would suggest you should strictly take up this matter with Sai Service and ask every bit of refund of useless things they performed in your car.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 09:55   #70
BHPian

Frankly I don't think Maruti has anything to do with this. We live in a seller dominated area, atleast when it comes to car servicing at authorised service centres - purely because of demand and supply mismatch. I dont even think this is sai service or spectra or shivam specific, it totally depends on the way a particular service centre is run. I see a vast difference even between the old borivali east and new borivali west Spectra service centre.

Even I had to pay around 17.5k for my Ritz VDi 20k service - which I got done at Powai Auto. I was carrying a list of 'must do's' basis the manual and scrutinized everything extra that the SA put in. I debated a few things and agreed for few - as the SA managed to convince me for those few for eg: how a de-carbonization helps engine life, esp for diesel engines.

End of the day, in India - every other seller / service giver is trying to fill his own coffers, so we ourselves have to be careful. Till date I have done 4 services at powai auto and 3 at spectra, though I can see that spectra comes up cheap in terms of bill as they only do minimum required replacements - I personally prefer the quality of service at powai auto (the owner is always on the floor micromanaging). The way the car feels right after the service, cannot be explained in words - and for this I am ok with shelling higher bucks for the extra quality.

Lets see how your meeting with Sai Service higher ups goes, looking forward to details of that conversation.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 09:59   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
So it means that the your Dad also must have signed on the estimate.

Then I feel that its wrong to completely blame the dealership.
You're right. Technically the customer has agreed in principle to the changes, regardless of whether they were necessary. Which is why I advised AkMar to treat this as a lesson and move on.

Quote:
The service person's job is to upsell and he found a gullible customer.
I'm not so sure I agree. I have had pleasant experiences with A.S.S. service advisors/managers who are quite honest about whether a particular proposed change is critical, desired or nice-to-have. It helps to be fully informed.

In fact this is how trust is built. If an SA is smart enough to consider lifetime value of the customer instead of just transactional value, he will end up doing his "upselling" job much better in the long run.

In this case all he has succeeded in doing is foster mistrust. It's fair bet that going forward the customer (and everyone he tells) will regard every proposed change with suspicion, even if it make be fully justified and necessary.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 10:13   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have had pleasant experiences with A.S.S. service advisors/managers who are quite honest about whether a particular proposed change is critical, desired or nice-to-have. It helps to be fully informed.

In fact this is how trust is built. If an SA is smart enough to consider lifetime value of the customer instead of just transactional value, he will end up doing his "upselling" job much better in the long run.
Very nicely put up. My SA at MASS has been always honest and now we have a relationship which is over 10 years now. At times I have to press him hard to change few components which I feel have worn out. During last service I asked him if my clutch has gotten a little harder than before- to which he replied that it is perfect. No need to touch it. Same for the spark plugs which I changed at 12K kms. I had to press him hard for changing them as he was suggesting that they can do another 10K-13K easily. A lot of such examples.

Hence, if the SA is honest, he can build a lasting relationship with the customer and it is mutually benefiting to both parties. Customers simply don't need to look elsewhere if they find such a service centre with such honest advisers.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 10:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

In this case all he has succeeded in doing is foster mistrust. It's fair bet that going forward the customer (and everyone he tells) will regard every proposed change with suspicion, even if it make be fully justified and necessary.
Exactly, noopster. Couldn't agree with you more. After getting both of our cars serviced at this branch since 2004 with no unpleasant experiences (both the cars were purchased from Sai Service itself), I did not insist on changing the service center in spite of extremely negative reviews of Sai Service on Team BHP.

10 years of trust has been reduced to zero in just 1 day.

Last edited by AkMar : 21st March 2014 at 10:16.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 10:19   #74
BHPian

In my own view, Selling/Upselling is something that every business does - everyone, right from the corner hood kiranawala ( who keeps asking what else, what else etc..) to automobile dealers. Think about the supermarket/malls - and imagine how many times many of us would end up buying something that we havent planned, only because those items keep grabbing our eye balls and we get tempted to some impulse buying. Since malls/super markets dont have "sales" people they do try their bit to grab more money from our wallets by placing items in vantage locations.

Now, to my mind, given that we will always encounter Selling/Upselling - its upto us to challenge them and take an informed decision. Noopster put it nicely about "Critical", "Desired" or "Nice to have", but again , its only when we ask pointed questions would we know about what would be the right thing to do.

I myself fell into a similar situation with Tata, during my Safari's third service, the details of which are on my ownership thread, but yes, i did learn from this as well when it comes to automobiles.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 15:35   #75

St. Francis Auto - Borivali West is very good. Been with them for 4 years now. First three years for the Wagon R & since the last year for the SX4. Meet Sunil who is the Service Head / Advisor. Nice bloke, will always tell you what is part of the service & what is optional extra.
sanjayrozario is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote