Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 26th March 2014, 06:15   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Wow, so you got a business establishment to apologetically refund your money back to you for the approved work performed on your own car? Wow again. You deserve a standing ovation and a Sir!
I could not understand you sarcasm. I would term this as daylight robbery as 99.9% of customer could not understand what is mandatory and those service chaps project each and everything as mandatory. Service chap puts immense pressure on each and every customer. Customer rely on service chap to be honest as he understand the service chap is knowledgeable person whom he can trust.

I had scolded in a big way a Tata service chap who wanted to pass on these silly stuffs on my Safari. But once, I was also a victim when I had Maruti 800 some 6-7 years back.
Ideally service center should not deal with such optional things. If they deal, then it should be totally separate and handled by separate guys. No optional work should be mentioned in service booklet.

I'm glad that Akmar got his money back and this will sure teach Sai Service some lesson as how they should market those optional/trivial/money looting service.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 08:29   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refu

Quote:
Wow, so you got a business establishment to apologetically refund your money back to you for the approved work performed on your own car? Wow again. You deserve a standing ovation and a Sir!

Yipee!!! You must be pretty satisfied indeed Sir!

Genuinely, once again, Sir
I totally missed this post that has more of hinted sarcasm but presented politely so as to not offend. Clever I must say. Hats-Off to you sir!

So you mean to say that the following services that were done on AkMar's car are mandated by Maruti Suzuki?
  • Engine wax treatment
  • Silencer Coating
  • Service Pluse
  • Headlight renovation!
  • Glass polishing!
  • Panel cleaning!

Can we see where in the whole of the owners manual are the above mentioned to be carried out? You also feel that AkMar has done a mistake by complaining to Maruti and putting up this thread that says that this is a rip-off and not genuine. 18K bill for this non-sense makes NO SENSE at all and the components done are NOT even asked to be done by Maruti so that clearly says that the dealer has played foul by doing all these without major customer consent.

If all was well and the dealer was true in his stand, why was the refund given and why did Maruti Suzuki apologize to AkMar?

Do you get the drift now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I do not understand the rationale for your sarcasm. Especially your comment about doctors is inexplicable. Is there something you're implying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I could not understand you sarcasm.
+100 guys!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 09:21   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As a "service advisor", your job is to "advise" effectively for what jobs are "necessary" and "required" or "recommended" by the manufacturer. Come on, do away with the sarcasm. It was a 2 year old car iwth 22,000 kms on it. Even if you park it in the sea, 90% of the jobs done on it would not be required. Modern day cars come with enough protection from harsh Bombay like weather.

Additionally, that kind of service bills are unheard of for a budget car like the Swift. Just because an unsuspecting customer was made to sign a job card, doesn't mean that he can be fleeced in broad day light.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 09:38   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
As a "service advisor", your job is to "advise" effectively for what jobs are "necessary" and "required" or "recommended" by the manufacturer.

Just because an unsuspecting customer was made to sign a job card, doesn't mean that he can be fleeced in broad day light.
+1 this is the very reason that job profile has a designation 'Service Advisor' which this SA had forgotten what he was appointed for!

@PAL:
Be it ANY car of ANY budget the manufacturer knows it the best and inside-out. The Mango Person (common man) cannot be expected to have FULL knowledge of the car along with what is needed to be done at what stage. If the common man had this know-how then there would be no need of an ASC but only spare part dealers to supply parts and the customer would service the car himself.

Since the above situation is NOT true in the real world, A "Service Advisor" comes into picture who 'helps' the common man assuring he will take care of the car and service it properly as per manufacturer schedule/recommendations. The common man blindly hands over the car and listens to what the SA says. Now very less people have that knowledge of what is needed and what not. AkMar knew what was needed and what not, hence this issue came out to the forum else it would been silent and one of the MANY fleeced customers.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 10:29   #110
Team-BHP Support

Typically when you provide the car for service, and when the job card is prepared, the Service Adviser after preparing the list of jobs, goes over the list with you and gets your approval to go ahead.More importantly after the approval he is supposed to provide an estimate for the whole work. At that time, based on the amount itself one can raise a flag.

And in the end after you get back the car, when you fill up the survey form, I have seen questions which state, if you were intimated of the estimated cost at the beginning and if the final bill was close to the estimate.

I hope its gets practiced across all service stations.

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2014 at 10:34.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 08:10   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Typically when you provide the car for service, and when the job card is prepared, the Service Adviser after preparing the list of jobs, goes over the list with you and gets your approval to go ahead.More importantly after the approval he is supposed to provide an estimate for the whole work. At that time, based on the amount itself one can raise a flag.

And in the end after you get back the car, when you fill up the survey form, I have seen questions which state, if you were intimated of the estimated cost at the beginning and if the final bill was close to the estimate.

I hope its gets practised across all service stations.
IMO, this is practised sometimes at Sai Service where my cars are serviced regularly. They read out the job card and the estimated amount that would be at the end of the service. I do write what is NOT to be done on that job and make the SA + mechanic who will work on my car that it should NOT be done. I also tell them to call me then and there if a part needs replacement and was not mentioned in the job card, so I can tell whether to go ahead or no.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 08:15   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I also tell them to call me then and there if a part needs replacement and was not mentioned in the job card, so I can tell whether to go ahead or no.
Thats the usual approach. Hence was surprised when the bill was presented at the end without a prior quote estimation . Yes they are also supposed to call and intimate you if during check-up they find something and which needs to worked-upon or replaced.Thats a practice which I have seen gets followed by Ford and Renault guys in Bangalore. (Cars that I have owned and got serviced at)

If its not followed, I have now made it a point to follow on my own.

Last edited by ampere : 27th March 2014 at 08:16.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 08:35   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If its not followed, I have now made it a point to follow on my own.
I never used to follow this practice earlier but ever since I was billed 1200 bucks for wheel alignment + Balancing + rotation when the job card had it written as 'WA + WB + WR' which either missed out of my sight or don't know what and since the job card was signed by me I could not argue. Paid it and took necessary care from next time. Once bitten twice shy!

Now I read the job cars twice or thrice and only then hand over the keys.

Anurag.
Old 29th March 2014, 01:23   #114
BHPian

Just got the second free service done on my Dzire in Nanda automobiles this time. I took a friend along too with me who also had to get his second free service done in his dzire.

The SA started off with "sir underbody coating is PENDING", " alignment required", "balancing required", " Teflon coating is PENDING".

Total estimate on free service 7-8k That too just for unnecessary things.

My arguments:

1. Underbody coating: what do you mean by pending? I am under no obligation to get it done. I don't intend to keep the car for more than 2 years then why do it? his answer: "sir the person buying after you will have advantage". job striked off immediately.

2. alignment & balancing: what kind of car requires balancing at a mere 5k kms? striked off. was never asked in Kiran for any of my cars to get alignment done till 10k kms (15k kms in case of kizashi).

3. Teflon coating: again I am under no obligation. striked off

Requested them to do an oil change as adviced on team bhp. Again a rude shock, service estimate for oil and oil filter a massive Rs.4000/- that too for only 3.1 liters. I asked him if he was adding gold? he says it is synthetic oil I requested mineral oil as read on this forum to which he laughed and said he has heard only of mineral water and never heard of mineral oil.

When I told him that I want the grade of oil that is currently present in the engine his laughter suddenly went away. he told it is low grade bad oil to which i told him very well i like that one please provide me with the same. service estimate is now Rs.1300/- for oil and oil filter now that sounds more like it signed the job sheet and gave a go ahead.

Meanwhile my friend ignorantly was about to sign his job sheet when I stopped him and asked the estimate he said he didn't know on asking his SA the service estimate with oil change came to a massive wait for it Rs.12000 (I need at least 10 shocked smileys here). Rs.12000 for a car that has run a mere 2900 kms/6 months that equates to more than Rs.2 per km. Got all unnecessary jobs cancelled and got the estimate equal to mine. The SA was quiet unhappy as expected. My friend would have definitely been ripped off had i not been there.

Moral: be attentive while the job sheet is prepared and read it twice before signing.

Last edited by rockporiom : 29th March 2014 at 01:30.
rockporiom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 03:01   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
service estimate for oil and oil filter a massive Rs.4000/- that too for only 3.1 liters.
He is nearly right as Synthetic Oil costs 3K and the oil filter Rs 300 = Rs 3300 and when taxes are included the bill will be near 4K.

Quote:
service estimate is now Rs.1300/- for oil and oil filter
Here he is adding mineral oil where the oil would be 800-900 and filter 300. Taxes included Rs 1300-1500.

From your post I'll agree with you for the points you mentioned like Teflon coating, underbody coating etc.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 03:26   #116
BHPian

Quote:
He is nearly right as Synthetic Oil costs 3K and the oil filter Rs 300 = Rs 3300 and when taxes are included the bill will be near 4K.

Here he is adding mineral oil where the oil would be 800-900 and filter 300. Taxes included Rs 1300-1500.

From your post I'll agree with you for the points you mentioned like Teflon coating, underbody coating etc.

Anurag.
I know that the price for the synthetic oil was not wrong but maruti advices mineral oil and not only that it is advised on this forum also to use mineral oil in the first 10000 kms after which synthetic oil can be used.
Must say that the car is a different animal after the oil change. Much smoother and silent. Power and Torque delivery feels better plus the avg. FE is sky rocketing.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 03:44   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I know that the price for the synthetic oil was not wrong but maruti advices mineral oil and not only that it is advised on this forum also to use mineral oil in the first 10000 kms after which synthetic oil can be used.

Must say that the car is a different animal after the oil change. Much smoother and silent. Power and Torque delivery feels better plus the avg. FE is sky rocketing.
I just noticed, you said oil change and second service! How?! Second service is at 5K and the oil change is done at the third service which is at 10K. Did you ask for an oil change or diveby MASS?

Is it that the schedule is different for Swift and Dzire?

IIRC, Maruti had passed a circular stating ALL New DDiS engine to be factory filed with Synthetic oil (5W40) instead of Mineral oil (15W40) that was used earlier.

Though I'm yet to change my cars oil and oil filter 'officially' which will be done during the third service at 10K. I did change the oil (Synthetic) and filter myself at 5K though.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th March 2014 at 03:46.
Old 29th March 2014, 09:35   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it not possible for Manufacturers to classify jobs during services as

1 Essential / Mandatory -
2 Suggested / Advised -
3 Condition Based -
4 Extra recommended by Dealer -

Once this information is filled in Job card in appropriate column's it will be easier for customer to understand what is actually required& will reduce influence of Service Advisors .
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 10:29   #119
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to hear the reports people are putting up on this thread Perhaps I am lucky, but I've never had any issues with my car. It has visited the service center quite often (I'm pretty anal about even the tiniest of things so it's there about once every month) and not once have they tried to rip me off. What's more, the workshop manager and a certain team of mechanics are the only ones that ever work on the car and we have all developed a bond. Service is impeccable, never had to wait more than 3 days for parts, car has now run 25k kms and I've never seen an estimate/bill for more than the price of synthetic oil which I get changed every 7500k kms or so. Infact several times they do a few things like balancing, alignment, polishing for free. They even insist on personally apologizing to me when I take delivery of the car, for changing the seat's position. The team also responds if I bring my car into the workshop at any odd time without calling or creating an appointment, within a minute and even sometimes invite me to leave the lounge and come upstairs to look at certain things of the car; they once had me look at the oil filter pointing out that it is an SGP part and not an MGP part, they seemed pretty fascinated by that. Another time they invited me to have a look at the car's underbelly to show me how neat things were and the level of engineering that had gone into it and explain to me every bit of it, just other tiny things like that. Oh also, they always ensure I have a ride home and on the rare day or two when a friend isn't around, I do indulge and they even explain little modifications that have been done to the car they're taking me in. The workshop manager knows I'm an interested and ready-to-learn-anything car buff and he also knows the way I like my cars; I remember he once yelled at the accessories department guy for recommending that I fit a screen on the dashboard/windscreen for the rearview camera which my dad desperately wants, he said the car is essentially the same all over the world since it comes from the same factory and since he assumed I didn't like a cluttered dashboard or visible "extra fittings", he demanded that the accessories guy look into having an electrochromatic day/night mirror with a display in the corner imported from Suzuki Australia. I for one, really cannot think of a better service experience and could go on and on about the great instances I've had with them but I suppose it'll bore everyone

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th March 2014 at 10:32.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 11:05   #120
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, give them another chance and see how they change for good (at least with you or your dad).
Yes, we are giving them a chance. Some new noise has cropped up from the rear end of the car after it was serviced. Front wheel noise has increased a lot after the servicing (and shelling out Rs 3600 for parts replacement in attempts to fix it). We will drop the car to the service center this week for them to workout some solution. If they are serious, then they would do anything to fix issues at least in our car. Cannot say about other customers.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote