Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 16th July 2014, 23:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Heritage Honda Bareilly sells car in *Black*, blames Honda for non-delivery of City

A close friend who resides in Moradabad booked the latest model of the Honda City V-MT petrol in Golden Brown, in April this year. Since there is no Honda dealer in Moradabad, he booked the car with Heritage Honda at Bareilly, about 90 km away. The promised date of delivery was by 30 June.

Come the first week of July, he was told that his car is ready to be picked up. He made arrangements with his bank for a loan, and happily went to pick up his new car - to find that there was no car to pick up!! He was told a cock-and-bull story about how Honda Car India Ltd. has stopped production of the City, their Noida plant is closed down and is in the process of being dismantled for shifting to Alwar, and that there is no way he would get his car before September.

Honda's car-manufacturing plant getting dismantled and shifted interstate, what?

A lot of cajoling later, the dealer agreed to source another car that was available in Lucknow. This was yesterday. This morning, as my friend was preparing to go down to Lucknow to pick up the car, he was called to be told that the car in question which is available at Lucknow is a VX-MT, and would cost him 1L more than the V-MT. Naturally, he did not go and pick it up.

The dealer was then asked to state in writing that they are unable to provide the car as promised, entirely due to Honda Car's fault, and this is what the dealer wrote a little while ago. Go figure what he means!
Quote:
Sent: ‎16-‎07-‎2014 21:24
To: xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
Subject: Regarding your Booking of Honda City P VMT

Dear sir,
I appreciate your interest for new Honda city but 
we are not getting your desired Honda city vmt (P) colour g.brown in this month as vehicle allotment to heritage Honda BLY from HCIL.
 So we are unable to deliver you car in this month.

Arvind Sharma

Heritage Honda BLY

--

Thanking you,
With Best Regards

Back Office & Operations
Heritage Honda
Bareilly
Mob: +91-8937095831/34
Ph: 0581-2560007/08
Fax: 0581-2560009
sales@heritagehondabrly.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*New Honda City - The Greater Drive*

striking features @7.46 Lac Test Drive to experience!
Book your Test Drive
Now<https://hondacarindia.com/ownahonda/Toolform.aspx?opt=1&mdl=24>
From what I understand of the explanation someone at the dealership gave verbally to my friend later on, the car which was allotted to him has been 'picked up' by 'someone with influence'. The dealer is not even prepared to commit to delivering another vehicle anytime soon, and has asked my friend to take back the booking amount if he doesn't want to wait till September. My suspicious mind says the dealer made little pile of cash on the side by selling it at a premium - 'in black', as the expression goes.

Unfortunately, it is his birthday tomorrow (17th July), and he is going to be a very disappointed man.

Is someone in Honda Car India Ltd. listening? If so, perhaps something can be done to redress the complaint. Does Honda allow its dealers to do this in general, or is this a one-off incident in the badlands of Western UP?
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 23:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Heritage Honda Bareilly sells car in *Black*, blames Honda for non-delivery of City

This practice is prevalent across all brands and all dealers. To be frank it is not the car maker's fault. We Indians lack any sort of character at all and do not think twice before cheating other fellow humans for greed and personal gain. So everytime a car model is in demand, we hear this same story from various cities where the dealer passes off the car for a premium to another customer. And as much as you want to think, but the dealer is not really even affected by you cancelling your booking. He already has a surplus booking problem which in first place has created that opportunity for them to indulge in such malpractices.
Try mailing Honda directly and narrate your ordeal. They might be able to intervene.
drmohitg is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 00:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Heritage Honda Bareilly sells car in *Black*, blames Honda for non-delivery of City

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This practice is prevalent across all brands and all dealers. To be frank it is not the car maker's fault.
Try mailing Honda directly and narrate your ordeal. They might be able to intervene.
Honda might not be at fault but their dealer is. A customer never buys the car from Honda but from a dealer of Honda. Therefore the only interaction a customer has with Honda is through their dealer. If the dealer commits a malpractice I would consider it equivalent to Honda doing so since for a customer the dealer is Honda.

I would send a direct e-mail to Honda with a link to this thread as well as attached e-mail from dealer. Honda in turn should allocate a car immediately and should pull up the dealer for this attitude.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Heritage Honda Bareilly Sells Car in *Black*, Blames Honda for Non-Delivery of Ci

The basic problem with car allotments is that there is no direct communication between the car maker and the customer. The dealer is always in the middle.

This could be easily solved if the booking was centralised but done thru the dealer. This way you know when your car is dispatched, when it is going to arrive in the showroom and when you can take delivery of the car.

It need not be a back and forth kind of communication between the manufacturer and the customer, even a simple SMS or Email will be more than enough for the customer.

It can be as simple as-

Dear Sir,

Your Honda city with VIN xxxx has been dispatched form the Honda factory and is expected to arrive at the showroom on xx/xx/xx.

Is this too complicated? I mean if the customer is the king, should not he be made aware of these facts?
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 12:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Heritage Honda Bareilly Sells Car in *Black*, Blames Honda for Non-Delivery of Ci

While we blame a parent company for such issues, we need to think how many times does such an issue reach a parent company too? Most of the customers just take any story given by the dealer and choose to wait for the car since they love it so much; some go for another brand after a bit of ranting!

Very few put their foot down and make the parent company notice what their dealers are doing. If each of the cheated customers take the dealers to task, then this problem will come down. The companies may NOT bother about a "system allocation" of vehicles as the number of such instances may NOT justify the investment for having a software in place.

Rather than leaving it on team-bhp alone, the person needs to shoot a mail to the parent company with the link to this thread.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th July 2014 at 12:41.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 15:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

This is disgraceful and Honda is squarely responsible.

Let's face it- you don't buy a car from a dealer, you buy it from the manufacturer. The dealer is at best a necessary evil you need to deal with in the quest for your perfect ride. It's their job to enable the process and make it as smooth as possible.

Honda cannot shirk from its own responsibility here (not that they have, just saying). They appointed the dealer and he is their face in the market. If they care about their reputation they will bring him in line.

I have never owned a Honda but my experience with VW has led me to believe that a company that cannot control its dealers will never win the customer's trust.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 15:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a simple and standard issue in India. Surely Honda should have processes in place to deal with it.

What good are Honda's processes if they allow even one customer to be swindled so easily by a dealer? How are they any different from a tom dick harry company? Surely they should have better control on the process. I say raise hell on social media, use TBHP's reference to reach out to honda, and they should bend over backwards to retain this customer. He has waited too long and there is no excuse Honda should not pull out all stops to do what is right.

Honda - India is watching. Please step in, do what is right, and restore the faith. This one action can win you more hearts and more customers than tens of lakhs on yet another TV channel. Come on, show us that you believe in the right, and that you're listening.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 15:28   #8
BHPian

This reminds me of an incident related to the purchase of our first Maruti. In 1983, I had to stand in a very long line at the SBI Head Office on Strand Road to collect the booking form. We filled it up and duly deposited the form + the booking amount. Maruti Udyog (as it was called then) prioritized deliveries through Random Number Generation and we were allotted a car scheduled to be delivered in May 1984. About a month before delivery, we were informed by Maruti through post (or snail mail as it is called nowadays) that we were required to deposit the balance amount payable within a certain date. My father had a banker's cheque made out and I set off excitedly to the (then) sole Maruti Dealer in Kolkata, Machino Techno- Alipore, to make the payment.

Upon entering the showroom and as I was making my way to the reception, I was befriended by a smartly dressed gentleman who enquired as to the purpose of my visit. As soon as he heard what it was about, he steered me to a nearby sofa and started telling me how lucky I was that I had met him prior to depositing the payment. At first I did not realize what was going on (I was all of 17 years at that time) - I distinctly remember him telling me 'tomaar toh lottery legay gachhey' (you've won a lottery)! By then I had caught on to what he was trying to say - his initial offer for the allotment started at Rs. 10,000/- and the final one (all in cash & on the spot) before I walked away after politely declining to collect my winnings, was Rs. 30.000/-

For a car costing Rs. 5x,xxx/- odd at that time I susequently read news reports which stated that Marutis were being sold for double the showroom price.

I don't think this Honda Dealer made that kind of a profit

P.S. This also applied to Bajaj Scooters at one point of time.

P.P.S. The parting shot from the aforementioned gentleman as I was leaving after depositing the payment - 'Boddo boro bhool korlay, poray postabe' (Big mistake, you will repent later)!
Babuda is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 17:56   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
This reminds me of an incident related to the purchase of our first Maruti. In 1983, I had to stand in a very long line at the SBI Head Office on Strand Road to collect the booking form. We filled it up and duly deposited the form + the booking amount. Maruti Udyog (as it was called then) prioritized deliveries through Random Number Generation and we were allotted a car scheduled to be delivered in May 1984. About a month before delivery, we were informed by Maruti through post (or snail mail as it is called nowadays) that we were required to deposit the balance amount payable within a certain date. My father had a banker's cheque made out and I set off excitedly to the (then) sole Maruti Dealer in Kolkata, Machino Techno- Alipore, to make the payment.

Upon entering the showroom and as I was making my way to the reception, I was befriended by a smartly dressed gentleman who enquired as to the purpose of my visit. As soon as he heard what it was about, he steered me to a nearby sofa and started telling me how lucky I was that I had met him prior to depositing the payment. At first I did not realize what was going on (I was all of 17 years at that time) - I distinctly remember him telling me 'tomaar toh lottery legay gachhey' (you've won a lottery)! By then I had caught on to what he was trying to say - his initial offer for the allotment started at Rs. 10,000/- and the final one (all in cash & on the spot) before I walked away after politely declining to collect my winnings, was Rs. 30.000/-

For a car costing Rs. 5x,xxx/- odd at that time I susequently read news reports which stated that Marutis were being sold for double the showroom price.

I don't think this Honda Dealer made that kind of a profit

P.S. This also applied to Bajaj Scooters at one point of time.

P.P.S. The parting shot from the aforementioned gentleman as I was leaving after depositing the payment - 'Boddo boro bhool korlay, poray postabe' (Big mistake, you will repent later)!
OT but imagine if you had pocketed the 30k, and invested that money in land, it would have been worth a mini fortune by now!

Interesting that the M800 price hasnt kept pace with inflation at all, compared to pricey asset classes like property!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 18:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Heritage Honda Bareilly sells car in *Black*, blames Honda for non-delivery of Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Is this too complicated? I mean if the customer is the king, should not he be made aware of these facts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Let's face it- you don't buy a car from a dealer, you buy it from the manufacturer.
But this is not true as far as my two bookings are concerned. One dealer stocked tremendous quantities of his car and could deliver immediately any color or variant. The other wanted to sell off the color and variant they had stocked and always mentioned that the color / variant I wanted was never shipped even after long waiting. Since this is Team-BHP, I won't hide the names. The first is Chevy, the next is Nissan. The Chevy dealer was so arrogant that he didn't allow us to visit his stockyard (but we sneaked in another way to find so much of stock when the car itself was not moving fast) and told us that he can't let me 'pick' a car he has bought it and stocked upfront on his cash!

But with Volkswagen, I know that my car came from the factory after booking; the manufacturing date was recent even when the movement was pretty fast on the white color.
thoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 18:56   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Heritage Honda Bareilly sells car in *Black*, blames Honda for non-delivery of Ci

This would not have happened if there is booking allotment number given right? A friend who has booked a Superb has a direct id number from the Skoda Factory for the car HE has booked. the dealer is a mere delivery plus collection agent in this case.

This seems to be a more transparent manner of operation.

cheers!
sai
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 19:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A lot of cajoling later, the dealer agreed to source another car that was available in Lucknow. This was yesterday.
A correction of facts - the Lucknow Honda dealer contact was not the Bareilly dealer's doing, but courtesy of the bank agent who processed his loan.

A V-MT (P) in white is available at Lucknow, but not in golden brown or black, his preferred colours.

Quote:
The dealer is not even prepared to commit to delivering another vehicle anytime soon, and has asked my friend to take back the booking amount if he doesn't want to wait till September.
This is still the stand that Heritage Honda Bareilly continues to take.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 19:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
OT but imagine if you had pocketed the 30k, and invested that money in land, it would have been worth a mini fortune by now!
Act in haste, repent at leisure - I could have retired by now 😈

Quote:
Interesting that the M800 price hasnt kept pace with inflation at all, compared to pricey asset classes like property!!
True, I bought my last Maruti 800 (AC) in January 2004 and it cost Rs. 2,35,000/- on road Kolkata - in real terms, accounting for inflation, it held it's price.

OT: Interestingly, my first Wagon R (VX) bought in 2000 cost me Rs. 4,05,000/- When I bought another Wagon R (VXI) last November, I paid Rs. 4,85,000/-. Wierd huh 😖
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 20:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

to the dealer rather than Honda.

Not all horror stories of such reach Honda to take any kind of action unless all customers who go through such issues complain higher up rather than sticking to the dealer level.

Someone send this thread link to Honda so that they can act upon faster to help this customer and future ones from any untoward incident.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I am given to understand that Honda Car India has been in touch with my friend over the last few days, and has promised him delivery of his choice of version and colour of car by 31st July.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote