Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 30th December 2014, 16:30   #16
BHPian

Default re: Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I doubt if you really will get a replacement car even if you go to courts. BMW will most likely shift the blame on its dealer. IMHO ask them to replace all the painted parts with genuine OEM ones FOC. Also I wholeheartedly agree with Narayan's opinion that contact Sunil as he really took BMW to task for his X1. He might be able to help you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Pls do search this forum for a thread by ( I think ) Sunil reg his BMW X1 purchase where he had taken it up with the dealer and BMW for deficient service and was able to get them to act immediately. You will get pointers there.

As such, I dont think once BMW is involved you will be short changed. Just ensure you have raised it to them asap even if the dealer requests you to the contrary
Please send me link to Sunil's thread or username as I am unable to find it when I searched for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Damn, this is really sad and unexpected of a BMW dealer to indulge in such malpractices. BMW ought to have better control over the dealers and the transparency with which they handle customers.

While I suggest you push for a replacement car, I agree with the solution below.

This resolves your refurbished parts issue however as a compensation for the MFD lie you should push for a free BSI+ pack of the highest order 5year/1 lakh km. This overall would be a decent settlement.
I already have a 3 year/40k BSI Ultimate with this car. On another note, I found it weird when they refused to clean the car when I gave it for first service as it is not included in BSI according to them!

Last edited by yaseenar : 30th December 2014 at 16:39.
yaseenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 16:57   #17
BHPian

Default re: Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
Paint job won't be necessary if they replace the bumpers.
A bumper replacement will be as good as re painting the exisiting bumper.

The bumper does not come colored from the factory but as a part. It has to be painted at the Authorized workshop before fixing on the car.

Also, there isnt much clarity on the fact that you saw the black wheels at the time of ordering the car or not? The car belongs to the dealer before sale and they can make any upgrades on the car (like painting wheels) provided they inform the buyer of The particular vehicle about it. Its upto the buyer then.

Lots of cars that are sold to customers be on display time and again, what is important is that they cant con a customer selling them a test drive car without informing. I am assuming yours was only a showroom display car.

The lead time for sale on your car is surely higher than normal, but isnt anywhere close to alarming.

If the dealer comes out clean on the information provided to you until now and does a BMW standard job with painting the bumper and wheels, and if you could manage any more perks as a bonus, should be good enough.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 17:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Please send me link to Sunil's thread or username as I am unable to find it when I searched for it!
Here you go,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-resolved.html (Awful BMW X1 buying experience from Navnit Motors, Mangalore. UPDATE: Issue Resolved)
AmitKumarVinay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 17:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Platino Classic was in the news earlier also for selling old cars as new with forged manufacturing dates. I doubt if you can get a replacement now (for a July 2014 purchase). Probably the best is to try and get all the impacted parts replaced free, and push for additional warranty packages.

Itís indeed surprising that BMW is not able to curb these kind of repeated malpractices.

Related threads:
1) Platino Classic Kochi (Platino Classic (BMW) selling Old cars as New!)
2) BMW X1 issues - Navnit Motors Bangalore (Awful BMW X1 buying experience from Navnit Motors, Mangalore. UPDATE: Issue Resolved)

Last edited by vb-san : 30th December 2014 at 17:12.
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 17:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
A bumper replacement will be as good as re painting the exisiting bumper.

The bumper does not come colored from the factory but as a part. It has to be painted at the Authorized workshop before fixing on the car.

Also, there isnt much clarity on the fact that you saw the black wheels at the time of ordering the car or not? The car belongs to the dealer before sale and they can make any upgrades on the car (like painting wheels) provided they inform the buyer of The particular vehicle about it. Its upto the buyer then.

Lots of cars that are sold to customers be on display time and again, what is important is that they cant con a customer selling them a test drive car without informing. I am assuming yours was only a showroom display car.

The lead time for sale on your car is surely higher than normal, but isnt anywhere close to alarming.

If the dealer comes out clean on the information provided to you until now and does a BMW standard job with painting the bumper and wheels, and if you could manage any more perks as a bonus, should be good enough.
As explained before, I was not there when receiving the car. My in-laws and wife received the car and they are not aware about how the alloys should look like for a sport line. They did not inform the buyer that the alloy has been repainted or the bumper has been replaced/repainted etc. nor did they tell us that it is a display car. I never mentioned that this is a test drive vehicle but it was not on display when we bought the car so it could be their old display car.

Bmw has told me two stories till now regarding the bumper repaint issue. I am going to get it in writing from them on my meeting on 2nd before finalizing on what is to be done. I am planning to raise it to high level authority only if they don't comply.
Old 30th December 2014, 17:42   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me an old BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swappe

Quote:
As explained before, I was not there when receiving the car. My in-laws and wife received the car
Understood. However, you could have still run this VIN check online. They could have easily emailed you the VIN for auditing.

While I agree that it's the dealer at fault here, the smart buyer knows how to protect his interests by taking simple precautions. Unfortunately, you didn't do so.

If you're up to a long legal battle, go ahead and fight for a replacement. If you're looking at some kind of compensation / sweetener, other BHPians have already chipped in.

I'm sorry to hear of this experience. Buying a BMW or any premium car has got to be special. They ruined it for you, but again, you should've have run a VIN check before the delivery. I just ran one for my Bhabhi's Grand i10 sitting in my office. Time taken was <60 seconds.

Threads like these highlight the importance of following our PDI Checklist (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 17:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me an old BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swappe

Looks like they took your uninformed in-laws for a ride and they went purely by the brand. TBHP insists on doing a thorough PDI before getting the car registered to the owner's name.

Let's hope the dealer would provide you with a reasonable solution and wouldn't mess around.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 19:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checking the VIN before confirming any car is a must these days. i have seen many new cars including BMWs being taken with TC red plates every where. In fact on almost every day, either for prospective purchasers places for display or for dealer errands. And many blokes who drive these cars thinks they are F1 racers.
We have to be very careful on this aspect. Even you were reluctant to accept this, as seen in the other thread.
Now take up with BNW directly, then only these dealers would budge.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th December 2014 at 19:22.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 19:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like they took your uninformed in-laws for a ride and they went purely by the brand. TBHP insists on doing a thorough PDI before getting the car registered to the owner's name.

Let's hope the dealer would provide you with a reasonable solution and wouldn't mess around.
I hope so too! We will come to know on 2nd Jan when I meet them directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Checking the VIN before confirming any car is a must these days. i have seen many new cars including BMWs being taken with TC red plates every where. In fact on almost every day, either for prospective purchasers places for display or for dealer errands. And many blokes who drive these cars thinks they are F1 racers.
We have to be very careful on this aspect. Even you were reluctant to accept this, as seen in the other thread.
Now take up with BMW directly, then only these dealers would budge.
The Sales Manager has arranged meeting on 2nd Jan when I am in Cochin. I thought I will take it up with Bmw directly if they don't comply.
Old 30th December 2014, 19:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't blame the OP here at all. Who would have guessed that BMW would stoop to such low levels to require a VIN check.

What he should do now is get a totally new car since he did not pay 40 lakhs plus for a demo car. I'm expecting an out of court settlement with a non disclosure clause associated with it from BMW.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 30th December 2014 at 19:55.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 20:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Showroom Display & Demo Cars are totally different , normally they keep on changing display cars from stocks . I seriously doubt that any BMW Dealer actually takes showroom car on TC plates for demo . Besides BMW encourages dealers to have most of models for demo and provides these cars at subsidised rates .

Buying a showroom display car is a personal choice , regarding removing M Kit/ Bumpers - it can be correct more than damage theory because I have seen dealerships putting accessories to enhance visual appeal of display cars across all brands but they should have been more careful in removing stuff . Settling it amicably like getting BSI pack at reduced rates and Bumper repainted should be an option to consider instead of going to court etc , specially given the sentiments considering the gift

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th December 2014 at 20:09.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 20:06   #27
BHPian

This is horrible! Having worked in a Automobile company, I can suggest you to ask for a replacement. Do not settle for anything else! The company will try its level best to lure you onto a cheaper (for them) solution. Take them to court if need be. But "DO NOT" settle for anything less then a replacement.
All the best.
musclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 20:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Showroom Display & Demo Cars are totally different , normally they keep on changing display cars from stocks . I seriously doubt that any BMW Dealer actually takes showroom car on TC plates for demo . Besides BMW encourages dealers to have most of models for demo and provides these cars at subsidised rates .
It is the other way round. Display/Demo cars would have regular registration numbers and not White in Red TC plates.
Quote:
The Sales Manager has arranged meeting on 2nd Jan when I am in Cochin. I thought I will take it up with Bmw directly if they don't comply.
Deal sternly. I did it couple of weeks back with another manufacturer and succeeded.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th December 2014 at 20:24.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 20:24   #29
BHPian

Please read Page 145 of the January 2015 issue of Autocar where a VW Polo was replaced by VW. The owner of the car Bhavesh was forced to go to Autocar and the dealer replaced the car. If you are happy with the car but want the job done clean then plan your move and act accordingly
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 20:37   #30
BHPian

Shame on the dealership crew :( And how many more such cases BMW? Someone spending amounts in the north of Rs. 40L from hard earned money to fulfill his dream gets PURE FORGERY and CHEATING in return. I would say, apart from reporting to Top Guys in BMW, the owner must lodge Police Complain and case in Consumers Forum under Act#420 , cheating and forgery!
BMW must set an example by penalizing the Dealership and immediately SACKING the guilty fellow and sales team head. Trust me, if a Maruti Dealership does this for even a Rs. 3L Alto, they may lose their dealership altogether.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote