Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 30th December 2014, 21:08   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me an old BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swappe

One can't stress enough on the importance of PDI be it for a BMW or Beat. You not being present during delivery is no reason not to have it done with your wife/in-laws.

It is wise to have BMW empathize with you while aiming all your guns at the scandalous dealer who has ruined your vehicle ownership. This may well be a long drawn battle but never lose hope or patience. Insist on meeting the top level managers of the dealership and not the sales executives who usually are the messengers the management would play out to gauge how frustrated/serious you are. Shoot an email to BMW apprising them of the dealer's response. As fellow BHPians have already suggested, seek the help of those who have already fought similar battles.
prancinstallion is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 21:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me an old BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swappe

As the OP has mentioned,it was during his wedding,and he was not present to do a due diligence before taking the car.I can understand.I would,like the OP,expect top dollar treatment when i am forking out 40 big ones for a car.However as we have seen time and again,Indian dealerships,especially premium ones are always looking for an unsuspecting customer to sell the slow moving models or the test drive cars.

Case in point,an acquaintance had booked an Audi A8 from an Audi dealership.I shall not name which dealership or city,since i am not the person who bought the car.Anyway he wanted an A8 and asked the Audi dealer in the city to tell him of the cars they have and show him one.He is no fly-by-night customer and his other cars include a Panamera,W222 S500 and a 740li.Anyway the Audi people showed him an A8,which matched his colour/specification criteria and pretty much pushed it on him saying it has just arrived,imported 3 weeks back(This conversation took place in December '14) with 20 kms on the clock.

So he asked for VIN and i checked it online for him.Sure enough it was no 3 weeks old car,and was manufactured in April! Also i checked zauba.com,since these are imports and baam! This car was imported in April itself.He got to know its a demo car which was bought during launch of the facelift A8.God knows how many kms it had already done,since the 20kms on the odo was highly suspicious.

So he asked for a brand new example and told them he will double check and only then buy.A few weeks later he was offered another car,and after checking the date of entry into country and manufacturing date,he bought it.

This after being a valued customer and putting down 1 crore for a car!
avishar is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 21:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see that a special gift was tampered by dealership. There are options like consumer court, FIR etc and keep running behind them. Couple of weeks back i read an Audi A6 thread where Audi A6 was still in workshop due to fuel system failure despite court order.

Replacement will be tough unless you take it to highest level in BMW (India and Germany). But worth trying by taking up issue with BMW directly than with this cheating dealer. Keep us updated with January 2nd meeting.

Also may be if for settlement (as a last option), get extended BSI and also the performance kit including M-Kit accessories.

Last edited by recshenoy : 30th December 2014 at 21:23.
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 21:40   #34
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
So much has been kept in the dark from us which we are discovering now! I don't know what to believe and what not to believe! What should be done now? Please help me Bhpians!
When a customer pay for a product, he has to be given that product and not the modified version of it. No matter, how small!

The biggest of it all is integrity. The dealer has already proved their trustworthiness by giving you a modified product along with various explanations that doesn't connects together. I think you should take it up with BMW for a solution that "delights" you, and not a solution that you seem okay. They are responsible to solve your problem and pay a penalty for their mistake. I suggest you start with a request for a brand new replacement car.

The dealership would be knowing how much damage a customer review can cause to their business and the cost of it. Since you already agreed for a meeting next week, I am hopeful they will provide you with convincing solution. If not, please take it up directly with BMW and stop talking to the dealer.

Also, please don't let the excitement of owning a great machine die down because of these problems. I am sure they will provide you with a delightful solution shortly. Happy Driving!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 22:30   #35
BHPian

While selling display cars is a common practice, selling them without informing the consumer is a horrible and deplorable practice.

I have one question though, how much discount were you provided for the car?
If it was unusually high, I think you should have assumed that something was fishy.

I was offered a 530D at the price of a 520D, but it was a display car. It was a whopping 15 lakh rupees off.

So, misinformation is a crime that the dealer has commited and he should be duly penalised for it.

I am sure your complain won't go on deaf ears and BMW will provide you a solution, especially considering you have voiced your concern on this influential and famous forum, don't worry, you will be duly compensated.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 23:41   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I already have a 3 year/40k BSI Ultimate with this car. On another note, I found it weird when they refused to clean the car when I gave it for first service as it is not included in BSI according to them!
Yes Washing is not included in the BSI. Also not included are wheel alignment and balancing. My understanding is that since these are issues that can be exploited by the customer, BMW decided to keep them out of BSI as they would not want to keep on doing washing and alignment every time the customer feel its gone wrong.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 23:49   #37
BHPian

Try to lodge a compaint with the police for being cheated . Make sure that they are booked under 420 IPC. That is the only way you can bring them under law. If the police is reluctant to register an FIR then file a private compalint with CJM.

Knocking the doors of consumer forums is a waste of time and energy. The redressal we get through them are like peanuts for the dealer.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 01:32   #38
BHPian

I am sure the car was bought on huge discount, if not I am sorry.

Such things regularly happen in all dealerships. Its the customers fault that he accepted to buy the expensive car without even checking for flaws. Once the money is spent there is just no hope on getting things sorted. I know when you buy expensive stuff you expect the same Germany delivery experience so would have not bothered checking but you forgot its the Indian dealer whose selling it. Repainting damaged parts during transportation is a very common thing. Selling display car is even more common. Its only the test drive car which takes the beating and sold at lower cost. I see no problem if they accept to repaint the bumper nicely change the headlight and give some more cash discount or free service package for 5yrs. Cant expect them to take the car back, once sold there is no looking back. I say you should not waste more time leaving the car at the showroom for more and more people to fiddle around to figure out something new or give you a solution. Start using the car, its yours now even if you dont want it.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2015 at 14:54. Reason: Typos
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 31st December 2014, 01:39   #39
BHPian

It is hard to believe companies like BMW does not have systems and checks in place to identify and control such malpractices at their dealerships.

Probably one way to resolve this would be by taking help from printed media. See one of a similar incident reported and the developments afterwards in the Autocar January edition (Image Courtesy: Autocar) . Hope such an attempt will be worth trying before taking this to the court of law.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2015 at 14:55. Reason: Please don't upload scans of copyrighted content. A link to the article is best. Thanks!
HotChillyPepper is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 06:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Please do search this forum for a thread by ( I think ) Sunil regarding his BMW X1 purchase where he had taken it up with the dealer and BMW for deficient service and was able to get them to act immediately. You will get pointers there.

As such, I dont think once BMW is involved you will be short changed. Just ensure you have raised it to them asap even if the dealer requests you to the contrary
Think of me and I appear My thread appears here for pointers - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-resolved.html (Awful BMW X1 buying experience from Navnit Motors, Mangalore. UPDATE: Issue Resolved)

Make sure whatever discussion takes place between you and the dealer is documented in the form of confirmation emails.

Quote:
Please send me link to Sunil's thread or username as I am unable to find it when I searched for it!

I already have a 3 year/40k BSI Ultimate with this car. On another note, I found it weird when they refused to clean the car when I gave it for first service as it is not included in BSI according to them!
Washing / Cleaning / Vacuuming / polishing is not included in BSI. Though after my issues i am offered a wash everytime i visit the showroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Showroom Display & Demo Cars are totally different , normally they keep on changing display cars from stocks . I seriously doubt that any BMW Dealer actually takes showroom car on TC plates for demo . Besides BMW encourages dealers to have most of models for demo and provides these cars at subsidised rates .

Buying a showroom display car is a personal choice , regarding removing M Kit/ Bumpers - it can be correct more than damage theory because I have seen dealerships putting accessories to enhance visual appeal of display cars across all brands but they should have been more careful in removing stuff . Settling it amicably like getting BSI pack at reduced rates and Bumper repainted should be an option to consider instead of going to court etc , specially given the sentiments considering the gift
a Display car and Demo Car are totally different. a Display car would be sitting in the showroom whereas a demo car would be on the roads being handled by n number of prospective buyers. normally its a practice with maruti / Hyundai to build a display car which would stand out in the display with body graphics / weird colour combinations, garish alloys etc; and call it 'dealers name' special edition

I wonder when BMW dealers started doing these customisations. Probably the M Kit was installed on a customer request, and the deal didn't get through. that is what i feel.

As regards the VIN that you mentioned the 7 month gap is perfectly normal in European cars. a 2014 Model Production begins in Mid 2013. I was clearly told its a 2014 Kit, manufactured in 2013. In August 2014, the Model Production for 2015 Begins.

My VIN if i remember well is a June 2013, and was delivered to me in August 2014. that is because, the car is built in the european factories and then broken down and sent to India. this takes about 4 months. after that when in India, the body kits are reassembled which again takes about 2-3 months. however in my RC the model is mentioned as 2013 and not 2014. i will go through the other posts and then reply once again!

I once again repeat - FIR, Consumer Court etc should be the last option because of the time it takes. use Alternative dispute resolution mechanisms like Jago Grahak Jago and the Like should be tapped first. The first course would be to send a mail / Registered letter to the dealer seeking clarifications on the defects noticed and ask him to reply with the reasons for those defects and the resolution. alternatively jot down all the discussions that you have had with various people in the dealership and mail it to them for their comments. Also Ask them to provide the contact details of the BMW RSM as well as the BMW HO retail Sales Team. Replacement of the car will not happen as it sets a precedent and since no mechanical / structural defect is present even the Consumer Courts will not provide for replacement.

The dealer IMHO will offer you the M-kit or the additional BSI for 2 years. I had specifically declined a repaint of my surfaces since factory finish cannot be obtained at a dealer workshop; and lastly be stern, but do not get abusive in your correspondence with the dealer.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 31st December 2014 at 07:02.
Sunilrj is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 09:17   #41
BHPian

That painting was done by BMW service center??? Even a novice could do a better job I guess. Wonder what took you so long to find it out.
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 11:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
So much has been kept in the dark from us which we are discovering now! I don't know what to believe and what not to believe! What should be done now? Please help me Bhpians!
One thing you need for sure is getting things in writing. Ask them politely that I appreciate if you can give in writing that this is a demo car. If that happens, in my opinion 90% of your job done.

We can find many cases where manufacturers end-up settling things outside once if it reach to court. Look at below case. I'm not saying you immediately go and lodge a complain but its better to be prepared. Things in writing will have value and words have not. I would say please record all phone conversations as well. Free app on android can do this simple job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nt-deploy.html (Toyota to pay 25 lakhs for Fortuner Accident (airbags didn't deploy))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
First thing, be clear in your own mind as to what you expect from this situation before you sit down to discuss the issue with anyone in BMW.

P.S. Not to cause offense, but you are also to blame partially for this mess for the lack of due diligence on your part before and during the purchase. This doesn't give the dealer the right to cheat, but something to keep in mind going forward. DO NOT overlook any detail while troubleshooting this issue, no matter how minor it may seem.

Good Luck!
Wondering why we expect everyone to be pro. and pay due diligence while buying. If cost of car has been paid, he has all the rights to get promised car. If dealer is cheating on this part, blame should go to dealer and not to consumer. Again, here we are taking about 40+ lac car of a premium brand. Even if consumer dont know the details, they should educate him on checking manufacturing date etc etc.

why govt is not mandating print of manufacturing date in easy understandable format in bill itself. Say like when you buy petty medicines, print of Mfg. and exp. dates are mandatory then why not have the same requirement for everything

Regards
SE
speed_edge is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 12:37   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post

Wondering why we expect everyone to be pro. and pay due diligence while buying.
Are you suggesting that only professionals pay attention to details and the layman customer is just an ignoramus who blindly believes whatever he's told and buys whatever he's sold? If so, you're doing an entire community of alert consumers a disservice.

Don't we check shoes/clothes/other wearables for fit & finish before buying? Don't we check expensive electronics and gadgets for being genuine when we buy them? We even check cheap consumables for freshness and expiry dates (at least I do) before we buy groceries at the neighborhood supermarket/street vendor.

When we're diligent about stuff that costs nothing compared to an automobile, why the lethargy when buying something that costs several lakhs (or more)? Trust is one thing, blind faith is another. In a country like ours where an average Joe consumer like you and me is pretty much on his own from the moment he pays the bill, one can't be careful enough.

Quote:

why govt is not mandating print of manufacturing date in easy understandable format in bill itself.
A VIN is just that, a unique identifier for your vehicle that tells you everything you need to know, and is difficult for anyone to tamper with. Stickers, bills and all sorts of stuff that a dealer can produce can always be tampered (I believe there are documented examples on this very forum). In today's connected world, nobody needs to be taken for a ride if they spare a few minutes to verify what's being claimed. That's not being a pro, that's just valuing your own hard-earned money.

Everyone will behave honorably in an Utopian world, but this incident and others like it just show us that in the real world, even the high & mighty brands that we expect to behave honorably aren't beyond a quick con. More reason to be doubly careful before signing away a king's ransom.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st December 2014 at 12:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 16:03   #44
BHPian

BMW India has shared a statement with Rush Lane on the matter, saying the owner already knew that the car was a demo car while purchasing.

http://www.rushlane.com/bmw-india-de...-12140487.html
mayanksabharwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 16:04   #45
BHPian

I have talked to the dealership who are now aware about this thread.

They promise me to give a satisfactory solution when we meet on 2nd and say that they make sure that no customer goes unhappy!

I hope this is true and I will update you guys on what happens on my meeting on 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
BMW India has shared a statement with Rush Lane on the matter, saying the owner already knew that the car was a demo car while purchasing.

http://www.rushlane.com/bmw-india-de...-12140487.html
This is not true! Pre-owned car! No way!

Last edited by Eddy : 31st December 2014 at 16:16. Reason: Merged
yaseenar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote