Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 2nd January 2015, 02:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me an old BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swappe

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
I may be wrong, but in 2013 my boss wanted to test ride a 320D and the dealership had sent a test vehicle which is of the same color you have.. See the pics.
This definitely is not a demo/test drive car but one meant to be sold to an unsuspecting buyer. This practice is what I had been telling, which needs is to be stopped, but how is the big question.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:57   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me an old BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swappe

I think this is a simple question of the dealer's greed. I doubt whether BMW had a direct part to play in this unfortunate saga. The most important part is how to rein in unscrupulous dealers who tend to take non suspecting buyers for a ride. India remains, in many aspects, a 'buyers beware' market as there is little protection available even though multiple reforms have been introduced off late in the area of consumer rights.

A question can always be asked that, given the ease with which dealer passed off an used vehicle as new, whether its a demo or display car, this must not be the first case of this particular dealer cheating a buyer. Since the damage has already been done, my advice is to simply take this matter to the highest level possible, time and other circumstances permitting on your part. Here is what my advice is (may have been quoted earlier by fellow members)

- Try to obtain every statement in writing. Take a notepad and write down Minutes of the Meeting whenever you meet the dealer's / company's representatives officially or unofficially

- When meeting officially, please take few known people along, perhaps a lawyer without disclosing the fact that you have brought a lawyer along; this is not meant as a show of strength but simply as a sign that you're not alone in this fight.

- For official meetings, carry printout of similar cases that have been decided in the buyers' favors in the past couple of years (may need some researching).

- I am not sure of this but you may as well carry a printout of this thread showing that a popular automobile community is standing besides you

- For official meetings again, carry extensive pictures of the car, blown up images showing damages that were repaired

In short, build a repository of evidence and document every word, every sentence spoken during the meeting. The intent is to ensure that dealer and company representatives get the image that you're dead serious about getting a new, undamaged and pristine vehicle.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:55   #63
BHPian

Exactly Rajeev.

This is one of the most followed practice in the industry to paste a TP board on the car and take it for a test ride. The same car will be registered to an unsuspecting poor owner who never knows how much abuse the dealer had done to the vehicle.
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:08   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yaseenar, good luck with the meeting. I hope a resolution is reached today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
BMW must set an example by penalizing the Dealership and immediately SACKING the guilty fellow and sales team head. Trust me, if a Maruti Dealership does this for even a Rs. 3L Alto, they may lose their dealership altogether.
So true. Maruti handles its dealerships with an iron fist. They are incredibly strict. Maruti sells 50 - 100 times the number of cars that most MNCs do in India, yet complaints against the brand are few & far between. Impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I would,like the OP,expect top dollar treatment when i am forking out 40 big ones for a car.
My POV is the opposite: If I'm spending 40 lakhs, I'll be all the more careful (than say, while buying an 8 lakh car). Trust me, I'd be at least 5 times more cautious with all the checks & audits. The more I have to lose, the more precautions that I take.

Quote:
He is no fly-by-night customer and his other cars include a Panamera,W222 S500 and a 740li.Anyway the Audi people showed him an A8,which matched his colour/specification criteria and pretty much pushed it on him saying it has just arrived,imported 3 weeks back(This conversation took place in December '14) with 20 kms on the clock.

So he asked for VIN and i checked it online for him.Sure enough it was no 3 weeks old car,and was manufactured in April!
I'm personally surprised to hear of this incident. Car dealers rarely mess with customers buying 1 crore cars, as they're usually "connected big shots". See what happened to poor ol' Shreyans Motors (bye bye Audi, Porsche, Ferrari etc.).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:43   #65
Team-BHP Support

The Rush Lane article mentions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushLane
At the time of sale, the owner was aware of it being a display car when it was picked as a wedding gift for the complainant (yaseenar).
Yaseenar, did your in-laws know that this was a display car?
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

My POV is the opposite: If I'm spending 40 lakhs, I'll be all the more careful (than say, while buying an 8 lakh car). Trust me, I'd be at least 5 times more cautious with all the checks & audits. The more I have to lose, the more precautions that I take.

I'm personally surprised to hear of this incident. Car dealers rarely mess with customers buying 1 crore cars, as they're usually "connected big shots". See what happened to poor ol' Shreyans Motors (bye bye Audi, Porsche, Ferrari etc.).
I agree with you GTO.My POV was from an average rich customer who is not so in-tuned with the scrupulous acts of Indian dealers,or who is not an automobile enthusiast.For him,buying such an expensive car is a prestigious issue,and whenever we Indians are paying a lot of money for something,we expect to be treated as kings.Ofcourse as automobile enthusiasts,we think in different way.We want the VIN numbers,a PDI,maybe take a trip to the stockyard to see the car.Many other customers are not going to do such 'menial' jobs.They want employees standing around them clapping,some confetti,some cake, a stage for someone to hand them a giant oversized key and they believe they are buying the best damn thing in the world.

If you are going to be flippant about buying something in India,you are bound to get fleeced!

Sorry OP,not directed to you.Just a general observation.

It had happened.I have the VIN number and picture of the '3 week car' which was offered. This particular dealer has terrible sales staff.They did this same stunt with another family who owns loads of Germans and even a Ferrari.Talk about terrible customer profiling. Infact every few months i see the staff at most of the dealerships changing places like a musical chair among the brands.

Last edited by avishar : 2nd January 2015 at 17:20.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 18:56   #67

Hi,

Its utterly heart breaking and astonishing to hear such deplorable acts by the dealer that also of a premium brand. Nevertheless, I believe that there are 2-3 things that can be done:

1. File a complaint in consumer forum, these days they are extremely efficient.
2. File an F.I.R. with local police station, if they are unwilling to take up the matter then the FIR can be lodged directly through court as per section 156 of IPC, if I'm not wrong.
3. File a written complaint to SIAM as well BMW Germany and India.
4. If possible, get it published in Media, that will work like fireworks!

Important to mention, always keep a lawyer involved in the above matter for correct content of the complaint. Hope any of it helps!
sidharthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:36   #68
BHPian

Default Disappointed after the meeting!

Really disappointed with the meeting today! Me and my cousin had a meeting with the dealer today. According to the dealer, there is no difference between a 'Display' car and a 'New' car! They say that display cars are kept in a better condition than new cars which are kept in the warehouse. Funny part is that none of the employees who sold us the car are no longer working there!

I told them about the bumper and the alloys. They act as if they have no clue on what happened. They say that Bmw goes through a lot of checks before delivering it to the customer and it cannot happen! They were not willing to admit that it is their fault!

After a lot of talking they said they will repaint the bumper and alloys as if they are doing us a favor doing that. We asked for the M Kit that was originally installed in the car and they were saying that it must be sold already to someone and it is expensive so not possible. Finally, we asked for BSI extension for 2 years, they said they will discuss it and let us know.

When we were coming back home, they called us and came all the way to my apartment to tell us that they calculated the pricing for painting and it is above their budget and they are not willing to give us BSI extension. We rejected their pathetic offer and brought the car back home! Really shameless and disappointing!

Platino Classic is not concerned about solving a customer's problem but they were more concerned about their online reputation because of my post in Teambhp which according to them is already spoiled!

P.S: I got a mail from Bmw, India asking for the details to investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag408 View Post
Well - it's really unfortunate that even reputed brands resort to such tricks in India, though I think this is more a dealership issue. While on this topic, I just scrolled below and found that this is not the first case against this dealership. Many others seem to have faced the same issue with Platino.
Yes True! The way that they are dealing with customers, I am sure there would be more unhappy customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
there is clear evidence that the Dealer has cheated you and it is clear case of Section 420.

Don't settle for anything less than a replacement or a huge Cashback.

the Display Vehicles at 20-30% Off. There are lot of anomalies in your case:-
1. You've been given a Display Car without informing.
2. The Car was already 9 months Old.
3. Repairs were conducted before the Delivery.
4. Misguided even after reporting the issue.

I'm 100% sure, BMW Company will never do this to spoil their long cherished history of being a reputed Company.

My Boss bought a 7 Series Beemer at a Discount of 25%, which was used for a Summit and hardly driven for 200 kms.

I hope your 2nd Jan Meeting goes in your favor. Or else, don't hesitate to take legal action.
I don't know about the company Bmw but the retailer doesn't care about their reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I think this is a misconception in Indian automotive industry that once the car is registered in your name, nothing can be done. If you have enough evidence for what you claim, there can be solutions including replacement of the car and over that you should also get compensated for the inconvenience caused. If you search on internet there are plenty of cases where courts ordered replacement of registered car and also to compensate for the losses to the owner.

Thanks
HCP
Cool! I will look into this.

Quote:
Never expected such a behavior from Platino Classic. I may be wrong, but in 2013 my boss wanted to test ride a 320D and the dealership had sent a test vehicle which is of the same color you have.
I have no idea if this is the same car. RC card says Manufacturing as Jan 2014 for my car.

Quote:
Sometimes, Display Cars are also used for Test Drives, So don't take the excuse that it was just a Display Car and not Test Drive Car.
According to them Display cars are better than new cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamC View Post
4. While I do agree it is important that as a customer you are always informed of the product you are buying and not simply be sold by the over friendly sales staff, you should write to BMW HQ and complain about the dealer.

5. I do agree with the previous comments that you need to be clear in your mind of exactly what you want. Getting a new kit and FOC work will be the easiest.
4. Already complained to Bmw, India
5. Leave options. They are ready to do none of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
It's pretty clear they took you for a ride and thought you would never find out. My advise , don't settle for anything less than 530d , it should be a lesson never to sweet talk and cheat another customer ever again.

Shame on you BMW
530d? The dealer was not even willing to give a BSI extension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
In short, build a repository of evidence and document every word, every sentence spoken during the meeting. The intent is to ensure that dealer and company representatives get the image that you're dead serious about getting a new, undamaged and pristine vehicle.
Sure. I am building evidence from what all I have.

Quote:
This is one of the most followed practice in the industry to paste a TP board on the car and take it for a test ride. The same car will be registered to an unsuspecting poor owner who never knows how much abuse the dealer had done to the vehicle.
This practice should be stopped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Rush Lane article mentions:

Yaseenar, did your in-laws know that this was a display car?
I say again that my in-laws and my wife didn't know that it was a display car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yaseenar, good luck with the meeting. I hope a resolution is reached today.
Unfortunately, it didn't workout today! :(
yaseenar is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:53   #69
BHPian

Default Re: Disappointed after the meeting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
Really disappointed with the meeting today! Me and my cousin had a meeting with the dealer today. According to the dealer, there is no difference between a 'Display' car and a 'New' car! They say that display cars are kept in a better condition than new cars which are kept in the warehouse. Funny part is that none of the employees who sold us the car are no longer working there!

Platino Classic is not concerned about solving a customer's problem but they were more concerned about their online reputation because of my post in Teambhp which according to them is already spoiled!

P.S: I got a mail from Bmw, India asking for the details to investigate.

Unfortunately, it didn't workout today! :(
My suggestion would be to File a Complaint in the Consumer Court and a Cheating Case with Regular Court. I feel you made a mistake by bringing back the Car. You should have left the Car with the Dealer till the issue is resolved. I'm sure, you can manage without this Particular Car for a couple of months.

Give an ultimatum to the Company & take the Legal route. You'll definitely Win. Other bhpians - What's your Opinion ???
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Dear friend I advice you not to talk to the dealer. Instead shoot a mail to the President of BMW India with a copy to BMW HQ. I guarantee that you will get a solution within the next 48 hrs. These dealers are the ones who make all the problems. Please do that forthwith.Peter Kronschnabl
Mr Peter Kronschnabl is the country had of BMW.
Send a registered letter to him at this address.
Bldg No-8, Tower-B, 7th Flr,
Dlf Cyber City, Ph-2 ,
Gurgaon : 122001
Haryana , India.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd January 2015 at 23:12.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

This is a related incident happened earlier. Posting only excerpts:
Quote:
Minister Aryadan Muhammed told ‘Express’ that he was not aware of any such an order. “Every day, several files come to my table and I pass orders for most of them. If needed I will have to check the files of the case concerned,” he said.
“The order protects the interest of the car dealer. It is clear from his order that the dealer requested the minister on November 11, 2013; and the same date he issued the order without any enquiry. In the request, the dealer claims that I am blackmailing to extort money from them. It is not true. The MVD itself has found that the dealer had forged the document and the department has to take action against the dealer. Here, it is clear that the Transport Minister supported the dealer knowing that the dealer cheated lot of persons,” Venkiteswara Prabhu, the complainant, said.

He reportedly bought a BMW X3 SUV from Platino Classic Motors, Ernakulam, in June 2012 on assurance that it was a new vehicle. According to Prabhu, it was found that the vehicle was manufactured in 2011 and had manufacturing defects.
When contacted an official of the Platino Classic Motors, he confirmed that the minister passed the order following a complaint from the company. “There were around five cases in several courts regarding the issue. Hence the minister passed the order,” he added
http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle1943054.ece

Last edited by deepclutch : 2nd January 2015 at 23:10.
deepclutch is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:28   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Great - So @yaseenar, Your case is not an isolated Case. How could our Motor-heads, have allowed to continue such rouge Dealers ? And even after coming into the Public ire, the Dealer has continued the Practice.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be to File a Complaint in the Consumer Court and a Cheating Case with Regular Court. I feel you made a mistake by bringing back the Car. You should have left the Car with the Dealer till the issue is resolved. I'm sure, you can manage without this Particular Car for a couple of months.

Give an ultimatum to the Company & take the Legal route. You'll definitely Win. Other bhpians - What's your Opinion ???
Let's see what Bmw,India has to say. I have send them the details today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Dear friend I advice you not to talk to the dealer. Instead shoot a mail to the President of BMW India with a copy to BMW HQ. I guarantee that you will get a solution within the next 48 hrs. These dealers are the ones who make all the problems. Please do that forthwith.Peter Kronschnabl
Mr Peter Kronschnabl is the country had of BMW.
Send a registered letter to him at this address.
Bldg No-8, Tower-B, 7th Flr,
Dlf Cyber City, Ph-2 ,
Gurgaon : 122001
Haryana , India.
I mailed Mr. Philipp Von Sahr, President and CEO of Bmw, India and cc'ed Bmw India contact email id.

Quote:
Thanks. I will look into it.
yaseenar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:44   #74
BHPian

Yaseenar, Sadly it looks like your case is just one of 100s by this dealer.

I just googled to see all BMW dealers in Kerala to suggest to a friend as I didn't want him to go to Platino since I know your case, bumped into this thread on TBHP which exactly reveals the Platino Classic selling old car as new to a lot of customers: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-cars-new.html (Platino Classic (BMW) selling Old cars as New!)

It seems there are cases pending in Kerala high court on this matter. So to me it looks like the date of manufacturing you decoded (through VIN ?) seem to be correct in all probability, the vehicle might be older than in RC.

On further search, another news here reveals the dealer's trade certificate was suspended for selling 33 old cars as new but RTO couldn't implement the suspension. If you read this news, you will understand why the alloy was painted black and bumper had a shoddy after market paint job.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 3rd January 2015 at 00:13.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 13:09   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Thats exactly what I feared. Yours is not an isolated case and this dealer has cheated numerous other people as well.

Can you ensure that you send all the material to the BMW top honchos in India. If possible, ask for a meeting with them. In my opinion, the chances of an amicable resolution are far better in a face to face interaction. Emails only serve a purpose as far as information is concerned. Even the officials may be skeptical to commit anything on emails. Hence a meeting may be the best possible route for a speedy and desirable solution. Apart from that, consumer court is your only other choice. Before the courts however, do try as hard as possible to get a meeting with the top officials of BMW India even if that means flying to a different city at your cost.

Last edited by rattanw : 3rd January 2015 at 13:10.
rattanw is offline   Reply With Quote