Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 6th February 2015, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Autobahn Volkswagen, Mumbai: 3 weeks to change a gearbox bearing!

Hi guys,

I own a 2012 VW Polo 1.6 which has clocked 42k kms till date. My ownership experience has been awesome so far and I usually service my car at Tornado Motors VW Andheri East and have always had a pleasant experience there.

Recently an issue cropped up with the car where there was a mild grinding sound along with knocking when the car used to be in idle. If the clutch was pressed, the sound used to vanish and if the clutch was released, the sound used to appear again. On doing a bit of research on these symptoms, the suspect was a busted clutch release bearing. Even though I was a bit skeptical since this was a big job that required the engine to be lifted and gearbox removed, I still decided to give the car to the workshop to get this rectified since I hate abnormal sounds in the car. I as usual decided to go to the ever friendly Tornado Motors VW Andheri East but was told that the workshop was closed for maintenance. I have got to know now that the dealer is changing to 'Automark Motors'.

So I decided to give the car to VW Kurla West which was the most convenient to me. I took an appointment for Monday, 12th Jan 2015 and reached there at 10 am. On inspection they also suspected the clutch release bearing to be the culprit. They however told me that they would be able to confirm only after further investigation. I was told that the entire job would take around 05 days and they the estimate was a whooping 35k!! In inquiring about this cost, i was told that they would require to change the entire clutch assembly. I did not understand this as why was it required to change the entire clutch assembly when only the clutch release bearing is busted. They said that it was mandatory. On further protest, I was told that they will let me know once they open the gearbox and will also check which parts of the clutch can be salvaged like the flywheel, etc.

I was now a little tensed and was wondering what will be in store for me and more worried that with such a big job, would the car be and fell like before? I anyway decided to take the plunge and told them specifically to keep me updated on the day to day progress. A couple of days passed and I got no revert from them and so on following up, I was told that they are still in the process of opening the gearbox. No news again after than. Then on following up with them again on Saturday, 17th Jan 2015 I was told that the Deep Groove Ball Bearing inside the gearbox is actually the problem and not the clutch release bearing. Since this part has a rare failure rate, (according to them this was the first case they encountered) the part had to be ordered from Aurangabad and would take 05 days to reach.

I was already losing patience now as my car was with them almost a week now and it took them a week to only diagnose the problem. No contact by them after that even after every time I called I was always told that I would be updated on the progress but they never called back. All this even after giving me deadlines.

I was also worried about the condition of my car since it is lying in the workshop for so long and I know that these workshops do not really treat your car with care. I followed up continuously the entire week of 19th to 24th Jan 2015 and got no positive revert. Every time I was told that I would be updated but there was not a single call from them.

After no updates again, I finally gave a surprise visit to the workshop on Tuesday, 27th Jan 2015 and I am all of a sudden told that the part had arrived in the morning itself. Again nobody bothered to update me on this. I take a physical check of my car and it is well kept. Thank God! I am promised that the car will now be delivered after 03 days and can be collected on the evening of Friday, 30th Jan 2015. On Friday, 30th Jan 2015 I receive a call saying that the issue has cropped up again during trial and they have to open up the gearbox again and send the part for replaced. I am like, WHAT? A brand new part also had an issue? And does this mean that it will now take another 05 days for order? Surprisingly, they said the part will arrive by evening itself and the car will be delivered on Saturday, 31st Jan 2015. I found something wrong here but was in no mood to investigate further as it had already been 03 weeks with my car in their workshop with the problem unsolved. I reach the workshop on the afternoon of Saturday, 31st Jan 2015 only to be told that the issue is still not solved and that I will definitely get the car by Tuesday, 03rd Feb 2015. I had lost all hope now and had no choice but to wait. I finally check with them on Tuesday, 03rd Feb 2015 morning and I am told that the car is ready. I however get the car only be 5pm int he evening.

I am sure you guys will ask me as to why wasn't this escalated to higher ups but during this ordeal, other than the service adviser, even the workshop manager was involved but there was no positive outcome.

My only saving grace is that the car is back to normal with no issues what so ever but I find the whole incident abnormal and unacceptable.

P.S. - I had asked for a spare vehicle after a week of my car being in the workshop but they said that no vehicle was available. They however informed me that I can claim a travel fair of Rs. 1200 per day from 22nd Jan 2015 till date of delivery. This is because, the approval for this claim was received from VW management on 22nd Jan 2015 only.
Also, the work was done under warranty (My car has an extended warranty).

Last edited by Epic : 6th February 2015 at 12:42.
Epic is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 15:54   #2

Default Re: Autobahn Volkswagen, Mumbai: 3 weeks to change a gearbox bearing!

I had also recently sent my VW Vento Petrol to this workshop for servicing as the previous KSM VW workshop had shut and they took 3 days for regular servicing. There was no proper feedback from the service advisor and the total experience was very unprofessional. I will definitely not send my vehicle for my next service to this workshop as I have located a VW Downtown workshop near Sewri area which is nearby to my workplace.
MK11 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 18:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I own a 2012 VW Polo 1.6.....

Recently an issue cropped up with the car where there was a mild grinding sound along with knocking when the car used to be in idle. If the clutch was pressed, the sound used to vanish and if the clutch was released, the sound used to appear again. On doing a bit of research on these symptoms, the suspect was a busted clutch release bearing. Even though I was a bit skeptical since this was a big job that required the engine to be lifted and gearbox removed, I still decided to give the car to the workshop to get this rectified since I hate abnormal sounds in the car.

So I decided to give the car to VW Kurla West which was the most convenient to me. I took an appointment for Monday, 12th Jan 2015 and reached there at 10 am. On inspection they also suspected the clutch release bearing to be the culprit. They however told me that they would be able to confirm only after further investigation. I was told that the entire job would take around 05 days and they the estimate was a whooping 35k!! In inquiring about this cost, i was told that they would require to change the entire clutch assembly. I did not understand this as why was it required to change the entire clutch assembly when only the clutch release bearing is busted. They said that it was mandatory. On further protest, I was told that they will let me know once they open the gearbox and will also check which parts of the clutch can be salvaged like the flywheel, etc.

..... Then on following up with them again on Saturday, 17th Jan 2015 I was told that the Deep Groove Ball Bearing inside the gearbox is actually the problem and not the clutch release bearing. Since this part has a rare failure rate, (according to them this was the first case they encountered) the part had to be ordered from Aurangabad and would take 05 days to reach.

....I finally check with them on Tuesday, 03rd Feb 2015 morning and I am told that the car is ready. I however get the car only be 5pm int he evening.

My only saving grace is that the car is back to normal with no issues what so ever but I find the whole incident abnormal and unacceptable.

Also, the work was done under warranty (My car has an extended warranty).
Epic,

I have the same issue with my 5 year old Fabia 1.6 (its the same engine/gear as Polo). Its out of warranty and I am planning to take it to one of the Skoda workshop at Mumbai.

Do you remember if the overall cost of repairs was mentioned in the invoice, although your work was covered under warranty?

Also since the problem was not resolved first time by changing the deep groove ball bearing, is it possible that it was a wrong diagnosis and if they changed something else the next time?

Thanks
rajcs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 15:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Epic,

I have the same issue with my 5 year old Fabia 1.6 (its the same engine/gear as Polo). Its out of warranty and I am planning to take it to one of the Skoda workshop at Mumbai.

Do you remember if the overall cost of repairs was mentioned in the invoice, although your work was covered under warranty?

Also since the problem was not resolved first time by changing the deep groove ball bearing, is it possible that it was a wrong diagnosis and if they changed something else the next time?

Thanks
Hi rajcs,

The cost for the Deep Groove Ball Bearing as a part was quoted as 3k. They however took another 3k for removing and fitting the gearbox. I do not believe it was a wrong diagnosis as no other part was changed other than the Deep Groove Ball Bearing and the problem was solved.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote