Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 3rd July 2015, 16:58   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant

Quote:
pixantz
Please check out my post post #16 earlier in this thread. Hope this solves most of the queries related to the topic.
Thanks pixantz. I have indeed read through your inputs and gained knowledge. Thanks again.

Quote:
AkMar
The air thrown out by the blowers with the AC switched off used to have a smell. That smell has gone away now.
AkMar, smell doesnt just go away from your car. Check if it was seasonal. If the smell was pungent during monsoon, then its most probably a fungal growth in carpet or A/C vent. The problem in modern cars is that we no longer use the old multi layer (metal mesh + sponge) version and have moved to more cost effective paper mesh (read that recycled) cabin filters. Some cars (even highend) do not come with a cabin filter.

This is just utter nonsense. How can a auto manufacturer send a HVAC system to customer without a filter ? This is against the norm and scientific reasoning.

I apologize, if you feel I am ranting my brains out. But, this is VERY true. Last week, I went balistic on my dealer who said A/C filter is a EXTRA accessory for my car. Its not a jewel that I want my car to adorn but its a jewel that will save me and my family from harmful respiratory syndromes and infections.

My humble suggestion to every TeamBHPian is to check their A/C system immediately and get a filter installed ASAP. I am not fear mongering, but educating novices like myself who just depended on the dealers for their car maintenance. Being a biker I like grease and dust under my finger nails. And that has saved me thousands of rupees till date.

I still remember what my mechanic (guru) told me. Keeping car and motorcycle filters clean is like keeping your nose clean. I laughed when he told me that when I was a kid, but today I realise those were pearls of knowledge.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:33   #62
BHPian

I don't think this is a scam. It's an additional service you can get at service center rather than going at some third party shoppe like 3m etc. Many people i know get AC disinfectant done through 3M etc and pay similar amount if not more.

Now whether it's a mandatory thing? No. It's just additional stuff people MAY want and service center are capitalizing on these opportunity. Nothing wrong. If you don't want, just politely deny the same. If you're not sure what exactly this is. Ask for details and either choose or deny.

in my last service i was asked if i want, i simply denied. I do this on a regular basis on my cars. After service i did this as a DIY.

http://www.amazon.in/TufSeal-6146-Co...c+disinfectant

Also i did engine coating myself. Asked the service center to clean the engine area, after coming home just sprayed the coat. Was it needed. No. I just want to keep my car clean

http://www.ebay.in/itm/TUFSEAL-4050-...-/171451886608
Attached Thumbnails
Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant-engine-coat.jpg  

abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 12:59   #63
BHPian

Quote:
abbey4u
I totally agree with you regarding the optional part of this service. BUT, is the service effective ? Mine and other guys in this forum is same. No. The problem here is the placement of evaporator coil which is either little higher than the lowest point of A/C tubing or placed far into the firewall where the disinfectant does not reach it at all. The only option is to come from the fan end, since it is the least path of resistance for the air to come compressor fan.

Regading TufSeal products. Yes, I do own them and happy with their performance. We do need a more strong solution to clean HVAC system in Indian cars since our tropical environment does not allow to breathe in peace.

Regarding the engine coating, does Tufseal product contain lacquer in it or is it just yet another silicone variant ?

But, thats one shiny engine you got there.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 13:58   #64
BHPian

I have an annual package from 3M which does include an 'AC Disinfectant' treatment, now please advice shall I still go ahead with this or shall I just give this a miss, even after considering that I have already paid for the same.

I would not want this to negatively impact the cooling or any other characteristic with reverence to a car AC mechanism.

Please advice.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 00:38   #65
BHPian

Go ahead. It does not affect your inner evaporator coil negatively. It just mildly cleanses the coil off moulds.

Make sure they clean the vents after the service. Many a times it is wet and it again adds to dust sticking inside the vents. They need to use pressurised air or you can run HVAC at higher temperatures for few minutes.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 16:13   #66
BHPian

For the records 3M does not sell the AC Conditioner Foam. I had given my car for wash couple of days back at 3M and the Supervisor said its not for sale instead i can avail there AC cleaning service which I remember is twice the price of the condensed foam container.

I had once bought a similar one from Gulf Oil but cannot locate it anywhere now. There are others available on e-commerce sites, yet to check one of those.
pranxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 17:55   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranxter View Post
For the records 3M does not sell the AC Conditioner Foam. I had given my car for wash couple of days back at 3M and the Supervisor said its not for sale instead i can avail there AC cleaning service which I remember is twice the price of the condensed foam container.

I had once bought a similar one from Gulf Oil but cannot locate it anywhere now. There are others available on e-commerce sites, yet to check one of those.
This. I was told by two franchise 3M centers that they will not sell the foam. They instead asked me to use their A/c disinfectant service.
wannabelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 11:53   #68
BHPian

Thank You All for helping me save Rs 1400 /- + taxes .

Dealer : Pride Honda, Madhapur, Hyderabad
Car : Honda City.
Scam attempted : AC Disinfectant & Engine bay spray

Iam usually expected to take care of the regular services for all the cars at home and today I took my cousins car for its first paid service. The service appointment was pre booked and we were at the service center on time.
Except for the intermittent disruption in the horn we had no complaints and the SA very promptly added additional services to the job card and rounded off the service estimate to Rs 5000/-. I asked him about the purpose of the engine bay spay (Rs 650/-) and the answer I got is to keep the new look intact , he added on to say that AC disinfectant (Rs 750/-) is necessary and the Summer has already begun. I very politely asked him to remove the two jobs off the list, which was done with haste. He added a break pad cleaning service for Rs 250/- tough, which I was not too sure off and agreed for that. However when I browsed the internet I found this too be an unnecessary add on by many service centers.
Iam attaching the job card below for your reference, where you can clearly see the unwanted jobs cancelled after the discussion.

Once again, I thank everyone here for highlighting these ill practices by services centers.

Job card

Name:  113CD3B5C14F5054.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  69.7 KB

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 12:57   #69
BHPian

Brake pad cleaning (and greasing) can be done from a local mechanic for much lesser price ~ Rs. 200. Just keep an eye on when he puts the tyres back. Rest all should be fine.
SDee is online now   Reply With Quote