Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 23:07   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

During my Polo days, I always used to get roughly about half-liter of engine oil back, after service. I actually did not mind since I any way required it, to top-up after about 7500 - 9000 Kms. I used to religiously follow this routine, as it was required.

With Jetta, I am still getting half-liter engine oil back. As it has become a habit by now, I have really not bothered about it!

But with Jetta, I had to top-up engine oil only once initially, after running about 7500 Kms and that too, only about 300 ml. After that, level has never dropped. Therefore, the extra oil is being wasted. But I still would prefer to keep that half-liter oil always in the boot; just in case if it is required during an emergency, as-in we keep a spare tyre.

I do not know if this makes sense?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 23:13   #32
BHPian
 
AJ-got-BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 603
Thanked: 2,387 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
There is always a oil top up that can be done mid-interval. In fact its recommended that we do it. Saying the customer needed billion years to gather liters is a naive statement which i dont expect from a tbhp member.
Even some maruti service station return the residual oil.
spyder_p8,

I presume you have not read my previous post where I myself have mentioned the same thing happening with me with a Renault Dealership at Kolkata. So calling a comment to be naive without knowing the facts is itself very naive according to me.

However, I would like to mention the fact that I do not remember last when I had had to Top Up the Engine Oil of any of my Cars. I guess it was in 2007-2008 when I had an Indica Diesel I had to do it. The new generation Cars do not have a tendency of consuming oil and generally do not require Oil Top Ups. Again this is my experience. Your opinion mighty be different. The new Generation Diesels are fitting with Turbo Chargers/ Inter Coolers and are Euro IV Compliant which do not have a tendency to consume engine oil and do not require Top Ups to the likes of the HM Ambassadors which required regular Top Ups on a weekly/ fortnightly basis.

Your Car's engine would never require Top Up until and unless :
1.) There is a leakage from the Drain Nut Oil of the Oil Sump from where the Engine Oil is leaking. This mat happen due to a faulty Drain Nut Oil Sealing Washer also
2.) The viscosity index and the grade of the oil that you are using in the Vehicle is not as per the Car Maker's recommendation,
3.) In case you are running the engine oil more than it's life (meaning more than the suggested/ recommended drain interval)
4.) Improper Flushing Agent or Flushing Oil which consists of MTO which reacts with the Newly Poured in Engine Oil and causes separation in the Chemical Bonding of the Engine Oil and makes it heavier and helps it to settle down on the metal surfaces of the engine and it's parts thereby showing a decrease in the Oil Level in the Sump of the Vehicle
5.) There is something wrong with your engine and needs to be attended to at the earliest

Also, with respect to Oil Top Up as you had mentioned "it's recommended that we do it" kindly enlighten us to :

a.) Who recommends this ?
b.) Which Car Makers Owner's Manual 'Suggests' us to Top Up Engine Oil ?
AJ-got-BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 23:18   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
Disagree. Oil top ups can only be done if your engine is burning up oil and oil top ups are not done just for the sake of it. Most new cars engine oil levels do not drop sufficiently to be topped up till the next service unless there is an issue. This is not coolant where the distilled water evaporates, that we are talking about. Lastly, please do not be judgemental.
Disagreement should be on facts and not on fiction. Engine level do drop overtime and that has got nothing to do with modernity of an engine. There is something called rudimentary as heat. The levels drop and thats the reason we have that primitive style of check oil level marks. Its always better to do some more research. Some good reads from TBHP itself.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)

http://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/m...-while-driving

We are commenting on the points put forward in this forum. If the information put forward is wrong, then its has to be countered.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 23:19   #34
BHPian
 
AJ-got-BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 603
Thanked: 2,387 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
During my Polo days, I always used to get roughly about half-liter of engine oil back, after service. I actually did not mind since I any way required it, to top-up after about 7500 - 9000 Kms. I used to religiously follow this routine, as it was required.

With Jetta, I am still getting half-liter engine oil back. As it has become a habit by now, I have really not bothered about it!

But with Jetta, I had to top-up engine oil only once initially, after running about 7500 Kms and that too, only about 300 ml. After that, level has never dropped. Therefore, the extra oil is being wasted. But I still would prefer to keep that half-liter oil always in the boot; just in case if it is required during an emergency, as-in we keep a spare tyre.

I do not know if this makes sense?
Chetan .... Bingo

This is exactly what I have been trying to make spyder_p8 understand !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 23:28   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
During my Polo days, I always used to get roughly about half-liter of engine oil back, after service. I actually did not mind since I any way required it, to top-up after about 7500 - 9000 Kms. I used to religiously follow this routine, as it was required.

With Jetta, I am still getting half-liter engine oil back. As it has become a habit by now, I have really not bothered about it!

But with Jetta, I had to top-up engine oil only once initially, after running about 7500 Kms and that too, only about 300 ml. After that, level has never dropped. Therefore, the extra oil is being wasted. But I still would prefer to keep that half-liter oil always in the boot; just in case if it is required during an emergency, as-in we keep a spare tyre.

I do not know if this makes sense?
Dear Chethan,

That extra amount of oil in the boot doesn't harm. Infact, it is recommended to keep some quantity. If you develop a slow leak and the warning light comes up, one can top up and drive to the nearest service station.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 23:37   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
The new generation Cars do not have a tendency of consuming oil and generally do not require Oil Top Ups.
Most VW engines, both Diesel and Petrol (particularly Tsi which is turbo-charged / inter-cooled and what not..) require top-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Also, with respect to Oil Top-Up as you had mentioned "it's recommended that we do it" kindly enlighten us to :

a.) Who recommends this ?
b.) Which Car Makers Owner's Manual 'Suggests' us to Top Up Engine Oil ?
VW service manuals suggests it. I remember reading it in Polo owners manual. In-fact, it is a standard protocol to check all fluid levels before starting a long journey. Engine-oil is one of the fluids and dip-stick is provided to do just that.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 23:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,202
Thanked: 2,937 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
There is always a oil top up that can be done mid-interval. In fact its recommended that we do it.
Will probably disagree or should be like - Top up is necessitated if oil levels are low which can be checked either by dipsticks or in display based on condition based services wherever available .

Quote:
Also, with respect to Oil Top Up as you had mentioned "it's recommended that we do it" kindly enlighten us to :

a.) Who recommends this ?
b.) Which Car Makers Owner's Manual 'Suggests' us to Top Up Engine Oil ?
Again - most of German car manufacturers will suggest you to Top up in case oil level drops , I have got this messages in past on my X5 & 5 series before first service around 8000 Km mark but nothing on the newer one's yet

Quote:
That extra amount of oil in the boot doesn't harm. Infact, it is recommended to keep some quantity. If you develop a slow leak and the warning light comes up, one can top up and drive to the nearest service station.
Used to keep such containers in good old days of Ambassador ( spare fan belt as well ! ) besides lifting Bonnet and checking water , engine oil & battery everyday , probably newer cars with kind of interiors and everything how much practical will this be

So coming back to thread , VW should ideally make available required quantities or else charge for the oil that goes in the engine , if they don't have large packs no one stops them to keep leftover oil from 1 ltr and use in a different car . I am sure they must be doing such services for many cars in a day and can easily use such leftover quantities from different packs as long as grades are same . Any customer who needs to top up oil based on dipstick or error message can buy 1 ltr pack on need basis .

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th March 2015 at 00:01.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 07:36   #38
BHPian
 
Deepak K Gupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 46
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

This is becoming a needless argument over a few ml of oil. Fact is check your dipstick regularly and pour oil only if it is required.Requirement depends on state of your engine and average running. Also, check for leaks if the level drops unusually. If any one wants to add more oil to his engine that is his prerogative.
Deepak K Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 12:54   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 26
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Hi guys,

I own two VW cars. A vento and a jetta and I live in Chandigarh.

1. One of the major problems is the lack of competition. Only one VW dealer in all of Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula. Which kind of gives them a license to do as they please(or so they think).In fact I have just gone through a harrowing experience with them regarding fuel injectors, EGR etc of my Vento

2. My Jetta was serviced on the 20th of Feb. Had the bill handy and so I checked. I was billed for exactly 4.3 l of oil. 1 unit of 4l and 0.3 units of 1l.

Even then, upon careful scrutiny I found that I had also ended up paying 600 for a wash, which ofcourse is, ludicrous.

Dont even get me started on how much my total ended up being. They are literally fleecing customers. And the service and attitude is frankly nothing to write home about.

3. In my experience, the only people who manage to avoid being cheated are the well informed and the vigilant ones (I'm still learning to be both, i'm afraid). To ensure you get what is due to you and your car, you have to be physically present for the 5-7 hours that they keep your car. I guess it just isnt possible for everybody. And those who dont find the time end up being fleeced.

4. What bothers me even more (not to trivialize the issue in the OP) is that who knows whether they actually even replace the parts they "claim" to replace? I could be acting paranoid and more than a little over the top, but really, how do you even know unless you witness it with your own eyes. The invoices and bills etc do not carry specific details of the parts. They only mention the part number, a VW ID of the part if you will, but not the batch code, date of manufacture of the parts etc

Sorry if I went off topic there. Just my two cents.

Another point I would like to make is this: The few times I have interacted with the dealer's AFTER doing my homework on the internet/tbhp, their attitude has been different. A little irritated perhaps, but they do tend to accept what you say when you back it up. I also find a few of the mechanics to be quite sincere and helpful.

I can wrap this up by saying that my experience with Honda, Maruti and Ford have been slightly better and less painful. Or maybe I was just even more ignorant than. Lol

Have a good day guys!
sidby is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 13:49   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

With the addition of a washing scam and to then to top up with other paranoia, this is fast becoming a VAG bashing thread. We never fail to give the Europeans a stick. This is despite the company taking measures to ensure the customer don't end up paying more.
If Maruti hadn't fleeced me with inflated bills, i would have brought another car from them. But i didn't. So if everybody is out there to fleece you, just be a bit careful and you get to drive a better engineered car. Paranoia is just that.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 17:43   #41
BHPian
 
AJ-got-BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 603
Thanked: 2,387 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Most VW engines, both Diesel and Petrol (particularly Tsi which is turbo-charged / inter-cooled and what not..) require top-ups.

VW service manuals suggests it. I remember reading it in Polo owners manual. In-fact, it is a standard protocol to check all fluid levels before starting a long journey. Engine-oil is one of the fluids and dip-stick is provided to do just that.
As mentioned by you in your previous post, I agree to the fact that initial Top Up during the running in period is required in certain cases; but post that there is hardly any Top Up that is required as mentioned by you in continuation of your post.

I do not have a personal first hand experience of owning a VW but have a few buddies who own the VW Vento Diesel (who are also BHPians) and their first hand experience with their vehicle has been such that they have never had to Top Up the Engine Oil.

I am also well aware about the protocols mentioned by you and the functionality of the Dip Stick I guess I know a little more than that but thanks anyways for pointing it out
AJ-got-BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 22:34   #42
BHPian
 
Deepak K Gupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 46
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
As mentioned by you in your previous post, I agree to the fact that initial Top Up during the running in period is required in certain cases; but post that there is hardly any Top Up that is required as mentioned by you in continuation of your post.

I do not have a personal first hand experience of owning a VW but have a few buddies who own the VW Vento Diesel (who are also BHPians) and their first hand experience with their vehicle has been such that they have never had to Top Up the Engine Oil.

I am also well aware about the protocols mentioned by you and the functionality of the Dip Stick I guess I know a little more than that but thanks anyways for pointing it out
Correct AJ-got-BHP. My Vento Petrol was serviced last April and is due for next month and my dip stick still shows full.
Deepak K Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 16:28   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Contrary to what BHP-ians are bashing europeans, today I got scammed by our very own Tata. They charged me for 8L whereas as per service manual it says 7.5 litres. This is Concorde, Injambakkam in Chennai.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 22:27   #44
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 886 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- All dealers buy engine oil by the barrel. These are typically 50 - 100 liter barrels. Gives them bulk pricing and also the ability to use only the amount required.
I don't agree with this part GTO. Not all dealers are supplied with oil in barrels. I am sure about the VW dealer in Calicut, Kerala that they had oil in bottles/cans. They have promptly returned the remaining engine oil along with can after the service of my Polo GT TDI. Already did three services there and got the remaining oil in the can.

The exact same grade of Castrol Magnatec Professional oil was used by the Skoda dealer also in Calicut. However they were supplied in cans/barrels to them. I came to know about this because I always used to buy extra cans of oil from VW dealer, which i keep in the boot of both the cars. 1.8TSI in the Skoda particularly requires top up of oil before the 15000km interval hits. Once I asked for extra oil from Skoda and realised they couldn't sell me as it came in barrels than cans.

So what I mean to say is that oil supplied to the dealer point can be in barrels as well as in bottles (1L, 4L, 5L etc). It is between the vendors and dealers. Same goes for another fluid, coolant. While some manufacturers and dealers stock pre-mixed coolant, some stock concentrates to which they add water. Again based on vendor, logistic, storage etc.

Not returning the billed oil in a can is indeed a scam. But sadly there are even much more avenues where dealers can scam the lesser-knowledgable customers.

Cheers,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 23:19   #45
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,883
Thanked: 9,697 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

During my service with VW Palace Cross, I was charged accordingly. On delivery, I found a 0.5 Litrs of oil in the boot. The supervisor rechecked oil and found the level low. He obtained another bottle from inside and topped up the engine.

I would not bash VW too much. This is more dealer specific
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*SCAM* Alert : Dealerships overcharging RTO / Road Taxes supremeBaleno Indian Car Dealerships 152 27th July 2017 13:56
New A.S.S SCAM - compulsory engine flush with oil change. UniqueMods Technical Stuff 26 6th March 2013 17:25
Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert adrian Technical Stuff 33 8th January 2010 14:14
Chandigarh-Dehradun-Chandigarh YC.BALENO.CHD Travelogues 2 25th May 2009 02:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks