Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 8th April 2015, 15:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Terrible Maruti's Sai Service quality vs VW B.U Bhandari's best practices

The first few pictures of the Maruti workshop resembles a slaughter house with green fluid instead of red.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 19:03   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Terrible Maruti's Sai Service quality vs VW B.U Bhandari's best practices

Dear Kiran (moralfibre) - hello, must be after so many years, it is really nice to touch base with you after a very long time!

I "happen to know" exactly what actually happens! . The guys at the dealerships are left to fend for themselves while the "suits" enjoy their world of fancy presentations in their citadel towers! The dealer principal wants money to be made, so all sorts of funny things are invented! Then there are goons in the guise of "contract" people who force dealerships into "doing things". Transmission oil must be changed is a reality, a "process" may actually exist on paper which specifies the type of equipment to be used to fill the new oil but the "implementation of the process" is where the problem lies. The root cause of this at the dealership level is basic lack of interest, basic lack of product understanding, completely misplaced priorities like "number of cars reporting daily" instead of "number of cars leaving happliy" the adherence to process rather than content pursued by the service engineers who have no choice but to fill forms day-in and day-out, and extremely high attrition rate at the dealerships. I have already made many comments in this regard in various threads on the forum, like "why customers have bad experience at dealerships".

Also, please read my "failsafe" car buying process, when many customers start asking for this to be done before signing the cheque, things will automatically improve.

Failsafe car buying process:
I bought my first brand new personal car by following this failsafe purchase process which I made and implemented. It is as follows:

My exact requirement definition:
"I shall, without any exception or compromise, completely insulate and fully protect myself against all the unpleasantness that can happen to me when buying my brand new car in India". Details need not be mentioned here, all we TeamBHPians know how unpleasant it can become!

Dealer finalization:
1. Defined the manufacturer whose car I wanted to buy.
2. Defined the exact car model with the exact dress level and the exact color that I wanted my car to be.
3. Obtained complete information on power / torque / power-to-weight ratio etc and got a mental picture of its performance / acceleration characteristics.
4. Visited two dealerships and explained the requirement to their sales people, obtained their reactions. Dealership 1, no reaction, neither positive nor neutral nor negative. Dealership 2, agreed, so bought the car from dealership 2.

Step by step details of the process followed with dealership 2 are as follows:
1. Clearly mentioned the name of the vehicle, its dress level and color to the dealer sales person. Due to clarity and seriousness of the discussion, sales person got replaced by senior sales person within 2 minutes of start of discussion (good).
2. Looked at the test drive vehicle which did not match the dress level that I wanted to buy but it was sufficient to define the general ergonomy requirements to me. I did not drive it.
3. Clearly mentioned and demonstrated my primary need for perfect operator ergonomy (seat / steering wheel / gear lever knob / foot pedals interlocation) to the sales person.
4. Informed the sales person that I shall (not will) physically check the actual car which I intend to buy for all these parameters before making any payment at all, for which he agreed. This condition automatically put a firewall in place and prevented the dealer from allotting a chassis number to me or proceeding further with any commercial process whatsoever.
5. Dealer sales person informed that he does not have the exact dress level car readily available with him, he will have to place an order with the factory and order one for me. I agreed and requested him to bring the car to his stockyard (outside Octroi limit). I would go there, physically check each and every parameter including ergonomy, physically drive it for not more than 2 kms and if found satisfactory, we shall (not will) proceed to next steps, for which he agreed.
6. Approximately 5 days later, I got a call from the same senior sales person that my car had arrived at the stockyard outside Octroi limit. We set up the joint visit.
7. I picked up the same dealer sales person, reached the stockyard and I glimpsed my actual car for the very first time. It was parked below a soft awning at the entry of the stockyard. The car smiled at me, I quietly smiled back, maybe I must have winked too!
8. The dealer sales person had everything ready, the security person was polite, and he had the key with him, which he gave me. I felt very nice, holding the key of my first ever (to be) brand new personal car in my hand for the first time.
9. I opened the door, sat in the driver’s seat and adjusted the ergonomic driving position. I found it meeting my requirement and informed so.
10. I checked all fit and finish parameters which were OK for me, I am not a stickler in these areas. I clicked the ignition for the first time. The odometer indicated 10 kms, which I informed. Started the engine and drove the car for 2 kms, it was good for me, so I decided to buy it.
11. With this phase completed satisfactorily, I requested the dealer sales person if he could quarantine the car at the stockyard itself and complete the commercial process, I was OK to take delivery from the stockyard itself. He declined, as it is required to essentially show the car at the Octroi check post when paying Octroi (I wonder what they see, anyways!). I agreed.
12. I requested the dealer sales person to arrange to transport the car very carefully to Mumbai, by paying Octroi. He informed that he would use his best operator, a senior aged person who would be very careful with the car, he would also take due care to park it properly at the Octroi checkpost also. I agreed.
13. I informed him that I would repeat the inspection exercise in Mumbai before making any payment. He agreed.
14. I got a call the next day from him that the car had arrived in Mumbai, I went to the showroom and repeated the inspection process. The odometer showed 68 kms, so the car was not overdriven. The distance from the stockyard to the showroom is actually 58 kms. I complimened him on a job well done, everything was OK.
15. I informed the dealership that I was accepting the car, I will now make full payment immediately. I don’t want a single accessory on the car, no floor mats, no mud flaps, no dealer name stickers on the rear glass and the numberplates and not to fit the wheel caps which came with the car, as I like my cars to have black wheel rims without wheel caps! The dealership agreed. I got a very decent price drop due to no accessories. They parked my car in a cul-de-sac corner where it would not be disturbed if they wanted to move other cars. This was good.
16. I made a bank transfer of the full amount, for which the dealer sales person accompanied my son to the bank to complete the money transfer process.
17. As I wanted a special registration number, we browsed the RTO site, my son physically went to the RTO office, paid the money and we obtained the desired number by afternoon. My family took delivery of the car.
18. To-date, my car has completed 6500 kms. The gearshift tower started making noise at 5000 kms as the gearshift cable mounting fastener was loose. I have tightened it, the noise has reduced but not eliminated. I need to do root cause analysis. I shall not even mention this to the dealership, I'll take care of it. I shall take the car to the dealership workshop at 9000 kms to replace the engine oil and oil filter, for which I shall first ensure that the oil, oil filter, drain plug washer (if applicable) and the spanner are all available exactly as per the part numbers specified for my model and then I shall stand at the ramp. The dealership has agreed for the same, if they decline, I shall change the oil on my own.
19. Maybe, I will void warranty, but it is acceptable to me bacause I know how much my car will run and when I have to sell it. Therefore, I have not purchased any extra warranty.
20. I have already made provision to replace my car, so if this thing grinds itself to dust one day, I will not mind.

Conclusion:
1. If you are absolutely clear how you want to buy your car, you can get it exactly as you want it. Do not make any payment till you see the physical car that you shall buy at the delivery location, in perfectly deliverable condition. This way, you remain absolutely safe and insulated from any unpleasantness, which is very difficult to reverse, once the payment is made and the chassis number is allotted. This is good for dealerships also, as they also remain very professional about the whole thing. I think that good dealerships will actually welcome this methodology.
2. Without naming the actual dealer (I choose not to), I would like to thank the sales team people who upto now deserve a 10 on 10 rating for their result oriented performance in completing this sales process. The city was Mumbai.

Two things are very important:
1. If JDPower can mention this process in their SSI evaluation sheet as a compulsory pre-requisite to obtaining the best SSI rating, it will be in the interest of customers who buy cars in India. It has been done, it can be done again and again! JDPower, please do this!
2. This process shall not work with target customers who are not honest with themselves (we TeamBHPians know their breed, we see them every day). The dealerships should recognize and not even attempt such a process for them. This was informed to me by the dealership person and he is absolutely correct, he said he would not have done it for anybody else because in India, there are many people who will not buy and waste his time. Absolutely correct!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 10th April 2015 at 19:08.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 09:47   #33
BHPian

MASS sucks several centers in Mumbai and N. Mumbai.
@Amit_Purohit20, can you give details of your FNG so we can take advantage too?
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 10:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
This, in a nutshell, is why Sai Service is run the way it is, and why B.U.B is run the way it is. It would take a delusional person to associate the words morals, work ethics, integrity, ownership, responsibility, transparency etc. with the owner of Sai Service, and that's what trickles down to the employees.

So, a couple of obvious questions from me:

1. Why in the world did you go back to them after the bad experience during your 4th & 5th service?
2. Why didn't you try Chowgule or Sehgal or Mahalaxmi? Even if they weren't great, they would surely have been better than these bottom of the barrel jokers?

Cheers,
Vikram
Sai service is the worst MASS one can go to in Pune. I think there was thread on the forum and I have always been advised to avoid Sai Service. Their service system is not online and updated with DMS.

I have a very good experience with Ace Kudale Manjari and their standards are almost similar to BU Bhandari VW.

I am surprised that you went to Sai Service despite bad experience, may be due to the proximity of the centre to your home.

I attribute this experience to you not being proactive, in moving to a different MASS and to not referring the tonnes of information about Swift on Mod Jaggu's thread.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 23:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi gostel, if you are ever in the mood for a day trip to Thane (service + brunch + movie etc etc) try out 'Thanawalla' located in Waghle estate. Though a MASS they are designated as 'MSM' and it shows in their work, during the time I was in the city my Swift was taken care of by them. I am quite sure that they would have retained their standards of customer and car service. Further with the rail link now in place they might offer a pick and drop facility too. Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
MASS sucks several centers in Mumbai and N. Mumbai.
@Amit_Purohit20, can you give details of your FNG so we can take advantage too?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 14:17   #36
Team-BHP Support

I had to pickup a friend who co-incidentally had given his Ertiga for service to the same service station this morning. I was cursing him for having chosen Sai Service to get his car serviced. However, when I arrived there, I was surprised to see a great deal of difference in the way they were operating. For starters, they had the car's fenders covered to avoid scratching them. The service bay was cleaner than last time. And when the mechanic working on the car used a torque wrench to tighten the wheels, I rubbed my eyes twice in disbelief.

Great to see an improved method of functioning and I hope they improve their operations further.

Fenders neatly covered:

Terrible Maruti's Sai Service quality vs VW B.U Bhandari's best practices-img_8807.jpg

Sorry about the blurred image but the mechanic near the front right wheel of the Ertiga is indeed using a torque wrench:

Terrible Maruti's Sai Service quality vs VW B.U Bhandari's best practices-img_8808.jpg

The only sour bit was "engine flush" in the job card which we got canceled in addition to wheel alignment and balancing:

Terrible Maruti's Sai Service quality vs VW B.U Bhandari's best practices-quote.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th May 2015 at 14:18.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 20:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
A Maruti Suzuki in an Indian household is associated with peace of mind...
Yikes, the workshop looks like a single screen theater washroom to me. Where is it? Deccan?

On the other hand, I have had good experiences with Chowgule's in the past and it continues to be the same now as well and if you are willing to continue with the ASS, I would anytime recommend it to you.

Btw, Good to see the positive changes in #36.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 20th May 2015 at 20:11.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 18:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I visit the ASC every 3 months on my Swift, all I do is ask them to do the prescribed works mentioned in the maintenance schedule in the manual for which they smile and do it quietly.
Hi Anurag,

Could you please share the cost breakup (especially labor) that you incur everytime you visit the workshop?

Am really interested in knowing their labor charges since you visit them every 3 months only for scheduled check ups.

Thanks in advance.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 19:57   #39
BHPian

Would like to share my good experience with Sai Service Kolhapur which is bang on NH4.

This was during December 2013, I was driving from Goa towards Mumbai. When I was climbing Amboli Ghat my swift met with an accident. There was an on coming swift towards sawantwadi which was over speeding and could not control while turning a sharp curve and hit my vehicle. This was near Ajra Uttur. By the grace of almighty no one got injured in both the vehicles. Unfortunately the vehicle belongs to a local politician of Pune and could not argue much. The group was travelling in another Qualis and they were not ready to apologise. Thought it is waste of time to argue and my thoughts were to pacify my son who was 6 years old. He was in the rear seat got scared and took time to pacify him. Hence forgot to call up Maruti helpline. Within 20 mins of calling, got a call from Sai Service enquiring about the exact location. As I was from Chennai, locals helped me in explaining the location to the SA advisor. In next 10 minutes SA called up and informed that he has arranged a tow vehicle from nearby location and should reach in another 30 mins. SA and tow vehicle both from two different directions reached within 1 hour of my first call. In between Maruti helpline called up and updated the progress. SA asked whether vehicle can be driven or towed, suggested him to tow as the impact was on to front right side. All luggage in my vehicle were transferred to their vehicle which was also Swift and we were taken to service station to complete the formalities. By the time we could complete the formalities tow vehicle reached service station and the time was close to 6 pm. SA in consultation with some senior arranged a vehicle to drop us at Mumbai and requested to pay only diesel cost and driver Bata. We were safely dropped at around 1am at my in-laws place in Mumbai. Very good gesture in need of the time.

Next day being Christmas, SA took my mail id and shared all documentation required for insurance claim process to avoid one day delay. Vehicle was under car lease and have to contact my employer in Chennai. Chasis no. was not clear in RC copy, hence requested for clear copy and was shared on 26th wherein surveyor process was initiated on the same day. There was a delay in getting the claim form submitted as the authorised signatory was on leave for the entire week.

I took a Santro to return to Chennai and while I was coming back, visited Sai Service Station Kolhapur. They have already started their work and SA informed that it would take only 3 days to get the vehicle ready as there was no major impact. Came to Chennai and co-ordinated with my employer to get the forms signed and shared the scanned copy and courier got delay due to new year holidays. SA was in touch with me every day to update the progress as well to enquire the status of courier. SA was ready even to deliver the vehicle at my doorstep in Chennai. However I told him that would come personally to collect the car. The moment the courier reached Sai Service, Surveyor was called and all the formalities were completed. He told me to take delivery of the car next day however I could not go during week days. He shared me few photographs in whatsapp when the vehicle was ready.
As I have to return Santro to Mumbai, travelled with my friend who shared driving. Initial thought was that I would drive Santro upto Mumbai and my friend would drive my Swift upto Mumbai. While return both of us can return in my Swift to Chennai. However SA told that he can deliver the Santro to Mumbai and only toll and bus fare is required for the driver to return as I tanked up Santro in Kolhapur. This support saved fuel and additional toll cost. Before we could reach Chitradurga, Santro reached Mumbai on the same day.

To me SA of Sai Service was a God as he helped me to reach Mumbai by arranging a car without any further hassle during that traumatic time for my entire family. That gesture was voluntary and I was just contemplating either should take a night bus or early morning bus to Mumbai. Though I have heard stories of dealers holding vehicles in workshop, this guy not even once applied such tactic and was very prompt. Not even a single paisa was taken from me when we were brought from Uttur to Kolhapur in their own vehicle. He stopped for fuel refill and paid from his pocket. Similarly both tolls upto Kolhapur was paid by him.

My experience was fantastic with Sai Service of Kolhapur. With the same management am surprised with the attitude of staff in a different location.

Being in Service industry, going beyond the extra mile was the lesson I learnt from this incident. Whenever I pass through Kolhapur definitely would stop to say a 'hello' to this guy.

Hats off to his customer service.
couswheels is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:12   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Hi Anurag,

Could you please share the cost breakup (especially labor) that you incur everytime you visit the workshop?

Am really interested in knowing their labor charges since you visit them every 3 months only for scheduled check ups.
Here is the data for the labour charges for every service that I go into @ Sai Service! I have data for the Ritz from 70K kms service..

Terrible Maruti's Sai Service quality vs VW B.U Bhandari's best practices-labour.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I don't think you can draw conclusions so quickly. Also, as enthusiasts, we ought to be a little more proactive about our car's maintenance. I for one identify which the best service centre is in my city, call ahead and request an appointment with the works manager, arrive there in style (first impressions really do matter) have a talk with him and by doing so I let him know how much I love my car. Then I ask to meet the team he would be tasking with the service of my car. By this time he will already know not to even bother trying to provide anything but the best (all of this I do for whichever car it is in the family regardless of manufacturer or make. This is how I ensure peace of mind.

Now, my car and I are genuinely treated like family I can roll up to the service centre at any time without making an appointment or waiting, leave the car there, and pick it up confident that everything is done properly and it is. I rarely ever stick around only do so if I would like to know more about the process involving a rare part replacement or some other interesting thing that I may not have had any prior experience with. It is always the same team working on my car and whenever there is a change, I am informed of it so I have a good rapport with everyone working on my car and it is good to keep such relationships in order to ensure the best. I have had my car worked on during the new year's eve on priority basis (desperately needed it and I usually never put time constraints on them just ask that it is done when they say it will be, so they obliged and I did pay them handsomely because I obviously felt quite guilty even if the company actually requires them to stay back), They never dare stick any stickers on my car or anything of the sort (the works manager knows exactly how I like my car to be neat) and so I have never had to endure a terrible service experience.

I know that we should be entitled to nothing but the best at all times, but get real. That is simply not the way it works here in India realising that and seeing where you're being cheated is smart but like they say; Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd May 2015 at 09:20.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here is the data for the labour charges for every service that I go into @ Sai Service! I have data for the Ritz from 70K kms service..

Attachment 1373408
Thank you so much Anurag for this data.

However, how much do they charge you for general check ups? (Lets assume 3 months after periodic servicing)

Example :
Servicing @ 90 k : Jan'15 : Labor cost : INR 2948
General Check up @ 83 k : Apr'15 : Labor cost ?

Do they open a separate job card this time or they just visually inspect the vehicle in front of you. Interested in knowing the general check up labor cost as compared to the servicing labor cost that is approx 1k.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 22nd May 2015 at 09:52.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
However, how much do they charge you for general check ups? (Lets assume 3 months after periodic servicing)

Example :
Servicing @ 90 k : Jan'15 : Labor cost : INR 2948
General Check up @ 83 k : Apr'15 : Labor cost ?
With my running of 120 kms a day, I clock 10000 kms every 3 months so the visits I pay to the ASC are for regular servicing. The figures mentioned are for the same.

No other visits happen.

No general checkup's at all, ONLY regular servicing with a new job card every time with all my eyes glued onto what is being written on it.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:01   #44

Which is the best MASS in Pune?? -- Sai Service, My Car, Chowgle....
I am asking more in relation to the new Baleno which is being sold only through their NEXA outlets...
sunitkaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 14:55   #45
BHPian

This is an excellent example of having strong processes and sound infrastructure in place. Loved that part where the washing couldn't be skipped. I just moved to Pune and was looking around for good VW dealerships to get my Polo TSI serviced. Looks like BU Bhandari is the place. It is in Pashan, right?

Just an off topic query: The first service can be done at any authorised dealership, right? I am guessing it isn't mandatory to get it done from the dealership where I bought the car from? (which isn't possible now since the car was bought in a different city).
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote