Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 11th June 2015, 17:31   #31
BHPian

Default re: Avenue Nissan, Chennai damages 6-month old Sunny sent for service. EDIT: New Car replacement!

Holy!
I would recommend to push hard for a replacement. This is NOT an accident - a car getting damaged in the service center is an example of sheer carelessness until this happens due to any natural calamity. And now I understand how cars get scratches/dents when put in service :(
@Joshguy your friend must ask for a replacement (or settle with a really justified amount for the car).
Zinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 18:47   #32
BHPian

Default re: Avenue Nissan, Chennai damages 6-month old Sunny sent for service. EDIT: New Car replacement!

Let me cite an analogy. You are driving on the road and some idiot rams your vehicle, with no fault of yours. What would you do, claim insurance and get your vehicle repaired, maybe also sue the other party for damages? Yes. But, you would not ask him for a new car, as it was not your fault. If you are brave enough, maybe even fight it out in court for a new car. But, everybody knows what would happen there.
The same is the case here. I know it hurts, when something like this happens. A fabia in our family underwent similar fate (fell off the lift at the workshop), we fought it in court for some months. Then decided for an out of court settlement with the service center footing the entire bill, but not from our insurance.
Accept it as a normal accident case which can happen anywhere, on the road, at your house, at a garage, anywhere. Get the car repaired and then based upon quality of work done and your own satisfaction level, either keep it or sell it.
This would be my honest suggestion.
chaudh2s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 18:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
You are driving on the road and some idiot rams your vehicle, with no fault of yours. What would you do, claim insurance and get your vehicle repaired .
Quote:
maybe also sue the other party for damages? Yes. But, you would not ask him for a new car, as it was not your fault. .
Don't go suing the service center. It will be a long drawn process. Try and negotiate to come to a settlement.

I agree with chaudh2s. This is somewhat a similar situation. It could happen anywhere. In this case it just happened to be at the service center. I realize this hurts very much, but the best thing is to try and see if the service center can work with the insurance and declare the car as total loss and give you a new one by footing the outstanding amount. That way their liability is less and you also get a brand new car.

Last edited by sudeepg : 11th June 2015 at 18:55. Reason: hit Save too soon
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 19:06   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
Ethical thing for Nissan to do would be to write off this vehicle from insurance side and scrap/recycle.
This will be very difficult to achieve, it is a dealer responsibility in this case (since it happened at workshop), and Nissan as a company would not help in anyway. Hence i suggested selling it off to dealer.

What they do with the car next is their headache and responsibility, if they are ethical they would reveal the history to the end buyer.

Quote:
Let me cite an analogy.
Here the car is damaged to a great extent (read not a minor bash), so same thing happens on road mostly one would ask for total loss and the second party to pay to minimize damage. Since dealership was entrusted for repair and then they caused this major damage, they need to compensate the owner reasonably.

Yes the car can be repaired, by replacing the whole chassis and damaged panels. But this will mean complete dismantling of the car and putting it together after painting etc. How much perfect will this be? and then the time delay. If i am an owner i wouldn't want to go through this agony. Dealer will push for partial repair by cutting the panel etc which again is something one would not accept for ones own vehicle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th June 2015 at 19:19.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 19:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Get the car repaired and then based upon quality of work done and your own satisfaction level, either keep it or sell it.

This would be my honest suggestion.

This advice would

1) Excuse the shoddy handling of a customer car at the dealership
2) Excuse the shoddy repair work done by the same
3) Brings unforeseen misery to the second owner of this car.

At the cost of

1) Insurers money, which I, you and everyone else is going to bear(indirectly).

2) Unwanted burden of loss of peace of ownership during the post-repair period and the trouble of selling it to a unsuspecting customer.

All this for a 6 month old car!?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 20:46   #36
BHPian

The damage looks really bad and this sends shivers down my spine.

Looks like the chassis, some part of the engine and the A pillar has taken most of the impact and are most damaged. As many have rightly pointed out, even if repaired, this will only cause more problems for the car post repair.

Impact points:
  1. Loss of NCB
  2. Depreciation of the value of the car
  3. Even if they pay for the repair, your friend may have to foot the bill of future repairs and niggles that might occur as a result of the permanent damage caused

Possible actions that can be taken:
  1. Get the dealer to write off (or sell) the car and replace with a new one while he bears the difference in price
  2. Fight tooth and nail to get the money back and go for another brand, since this is the worst experience any car owner can go through!

As some have pointed out, this may seem like an accident where the car owner may not be at fault - but here, the car owner wasn't even in the accident site! IMO, this cannot be treated as an accident, and has to be the gross negligence of the dealership. They should either refund or replace the car - a compromise doesn't seem like an option for me.

Good luck for your friend, hope to see a good outcome for him soon!
sidzzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 20:57   #37
BHPian

First of all, Ask dealer the following things:

* How did they determine that the vehicle is in the repairable condition
* Ask for the vehicle assessment report
* Get vehicle assessed by an independent vehicle assessor
* Match both the reports and take a call whether to keep the vehicle or dispose it off

If he decides to keep the vehicle & uses his own insurance for repairs:

* Reclaim NCB / Claim handling fees from dealer
* Seek additional warranty on repairs in writing
* Get the vehicle assessed from independent vehicle assessor after repairs
* Strictly ask dealer to change the damaged parts, no repairs

Damaged chassis and A-pillar are the worrying factors. All other parts can be easily replaced and would not negatively impact the structural integrity of vehicle.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 21:30   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Damaged chassis and A-pillar are the worrying factors. All other parts can be easily replaced and would not negatively impact the structural integrity of vehicle.
Precisely, only way to get a perfect repair is to replace the whole chassis shell. But down side, its like virtually rebuilding the whole car and i don't have any hope that an Indian garage can do a nut to nut or clip to clip job correct. They would also prefer the less complicated chassis repair of the front section

Repair is a catch 20 situation in this case. If it was panel damage or something things would have been much easier.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 22:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Forget about everything else. I'm appalled at the response given by the service head of Avenue Nissan to the customer. The Sunny's owner should have been terribly upset with that joke of a mail from the dealer. I mean, how do they even gather courage to write this? As someone else before asked, where is the assessment report? Will he say the same thing if that was an accident that took place under customer's custody?

As it is, Nissan isn't doing that well in India. This might hamper their prospects further.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 22:53   #40

1. I remember there used to be a Motor trader insurance policy, similar to the trade certificate insurance, which covers losses during a specific transit for lorry body building or trips to the RTO for registration, which should cover these kind of losses. Not sure if these policies are still sold, shall check and revert, the current market practice.

2. The dealership is also supposed to have a Liability insurance to cover any untoward incident inside their premises, let's say a showroom glass breaks and injured a customer, a liability insurance would cover it, again it used to be sold earlier individually and packaged, shall check and revert, the current market status.
DEEPSAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 07:00   #41
BHPian

This is beyond repair of any kind. Nothing is acceptable except a full replacement. Hire a good lawyer & fight it out in court. Don't worry about time & cost, it is a question of what is right & what is wrong. Also, you will have the full support from all of us in your fight
CarNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 07:11   #42
BHPian

Nobody will accept their car to be repaired and given after such damage except people who buy/repair/sell total loss cars. In this case, the car should be replaced and not repaired, especially since its a brand new car. No doubt about it.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 09:18   #43
BHPian

Dude...don't accept it. That letter from them made me furious. Tell them you'll be settling this the legal way and in the meantime make sure the higher ups in Nissan is informed and of course, using social media namely Facebook, Whats App,,Team BHP and other auto blogs, local news paper/channel, Autocar India...whatever it takes to make this issue public and bring the dealer's and Nissan's name as well in the dirt.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 09:28   #44
BHPian

Default Re: 6-month old Sunny severely damaged at Avenue Nissan. Had gone for service

Ask your friend not to settle for anything less than a replacement, with the road tax & insurance borne entirely by the dealer/Nissan.

On a related note, take a look at how ASCs treat customer vehicles. This was taken on Saturday, 6th June at Caculo Ford, Verna Goa.
Attached Thumbnails
Avenue Nissan, Chennai damages 6-month old Sunny sent for service. EDIT: New Car replacement!-1875.jpg  

hemant.kamat is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 09:32   #45
BHPian

There are two options that I can foresee and I would prefer the former:

1. As suggested by other BHPians, ask your friend to fight with the dealer and seek justice in a legal manner. File an FIR against the service station and hire a good lawyer to fight your case. Even if the dealer agress to compensate for all this trouble, please keep it in mind that this process will require time and patience leading to more harassment and agony.

2. Chart/Convey your alternative options for getting the car repaired at the workshop and push for free extended warranty. In case the dealer agress to foot all the cost of repairs and get it done, you need to remind yourself that the resale value of the car will take a hit. Plus never let the workshop claim from your insurance. It was never your fault in the first place.
CountMe91 is offline   Reply With Quote