Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 8th August 2016, 15:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Cool Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I got an email today from cars24.com, with a photo of the new RC Card, showing that the car has been transferred to the new owner.
That's reassuring.

What about Insurance, do these guys also ensure that the Insurance is transferred to the new owner? What assurance did you take to absolve your liability when you sell your car to dealers or such services? Merely signing Form 29, 30 does not mean you are absolved. I am puzzled many a times when owners sell their car to dealers without any assurance on whom the car will be sold to? Till the time the car ownership along with Insurance is transferred, the present owner is still liable to anything that happens to the car - be it caught in an accident or any nefarious activities.

Seems you had a smooth and good experience. Did you send a communication to the RTO about sale of the car till the time the car was not sold?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
That's reassuring.

What about Insurance, do these guys also ensure that the Insurance is transferred to the new owner? What assurance did you take to absolve your liability when you sell your car to dealers or such services? Merely signing Form 29, 30 does not mean you are absolved. I am puzzled many a times when owners sell their car to dealers without any assurance on whom the car will be sold to? Till the time the car ownership along with Insurance is transferred, the present owner is still liable to anything that happens to the car - be it caught in an accident or any nefarious activities.

Seems you had a smooth and good experience. Did you send a communication to the RTO about sale of the car till the time the car was not sold?
Insurance: My car's insurance was going to expire about a month after I sold it. I notified the insurance company of the sale via email.

Now, when it comes to the sale process in India, there is a serious gap in the RTO and/or legal process. Police are usually sympathetic to this process gap (anecdotal evidence only).
As per the RTO ownership transfer process, there is no concept of "sale to dealer" at all. The transfer has to be from one owner to another. Which very naturally leads to the question of "what if something goes wrong when the car is in possession of the dealer"?
The dealer and seller only sign a "sale deed" and "delivery note" together. These documents/agreements are not on stamp paper, never notarized or registered.
However, the police take cognizance of these documents on good faith, verify that you had indeed sold the car to the dealer, and then leave you alone.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
However, the police take cognizance of these documents on good faith, verify that you had indeed sold the car to the dealer, and then leave you alone.
The same cops would go to lengths to implicate you in case the car has run into trouble before the ownership transfer. The good samaritans can turn into evil villains in matters of seconds. It is always better to take a writing from the dealer that he is responsible for anything happening to the car before the next sale. The same has to be sent along with the notice of sale to the RTO. Although this will not absolve one completely but still helps in many a times. Have a lot of horror stories to tell courtesy friends/colleagues who had to face a barrage of accusations from cops.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:34   #49

Two months back (on June 1), I sold my 3 yr old swift vxi to Cars24.com (Whitefield, branch, Bangalore). I upgraded to a Honda city.
The price I got was 4.20 lacs, which was pretty decent considering that Honda guys quoted a price of 3.75 lacs (in exchange). Additionally, I also checked sites like OLX and Quikr, where similar models (with almost same running) were quoted 4-4.5 lacs.
The oomph factor of cars24.com is not the pricing but the hassle free process in terms of time taken and documentation work. I just had to produce the NOC, Form-30 or Form-35 (don't remember exactly), car registration card, car insurance, my pan card, my bank account details and that's it. It took less than 2 hrs. to get the job done and the money was in my account.
Ashish0485 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 17:38   #50

Want to share my recent experience of selling my parents car at Cars24. My Dad is 50 plus now and has been driving a 2011 Swift VDi since 5 years now. I wanted him to upgrade to an automatic transmission vehicle at the earliest. I posted an ad on a OLX and got a nice offer from a couple of dealers. When I took my car to them, they quoted almost 50k and 70k less than what I was expecting. Then I checked out cars24. Booked an appointment and took my car the very next day with all the papers. They checked my car out quite thoroughly using OBD scanner and I was impressed with their proffesional approach as well. After the inspection, the quoted me an offer which I was satisfied with mainly because I had the assurity of a business buying my car vs an unknown dealer.
Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and it feels great knowing that companies are now taking a tech oriented approach in for buying cars !
Chogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 10:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
When I said to them that I am selling my car at 3.8Lacs and claimed by voucher, they brushed off saying that I have to actually sell it to a used car dealer and not under exchange.
To be fair to them, they do have a valid point there. The Skoda dealer in your case is making money by selling you a new car. You can't obviously compare any used car dealer's evaluation with exchange bonus schemes. If they would have matched it, then I would say the exchange bonus scheme is a sham.

I have in the past got my cars evaluated by their online evaluation option, more so since they do not ask your personal details other than Email and hence you are not pestered with follow up phone calls. In my experience for both my Innova and Sunny, their quotes were much lower than the average price over the internet, my reference values were from carwale and TBHP evaluator.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th August 2016 at 10:59.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 11:34   #52
BANNED

Friends, its best that your car be sold to the dealer from whom you are buying a new car. It always fetches a higher price because the dealer is also selling you a car. It worked great for me when I sold my Alto to buy my Safari and when I sold my Safari to buy my Storme. My 7 year old Alto Lx got me a resale price of 1.65 lacs (Mumbai) which was a fantastic price IMO for a well maintained ride. Likewise my 2 year old Safari GX was sold for approximately Rs 8 lacs (including bonus, buyback etc) which is also a high value for a Safari which has a poor resale value.
Just for comparison's sake my Alto was fetching about 80k -85 k outside and the Safari was getting quotes of 5-6 lacs
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote