Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 16th May 2016, 19:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Great experience at DRS Motors, Gurgaon (Fiat workshop)

The Mishap and the background

I just moved to Gurgaon from Bangalore and had a mishap with my Linea Diesel, a few days ago. A big stone lurking on a dark road, car on left, divider on the right and I see it a second before the car is about to hit it.
I was at about 40kmph, and went straight over it. Beauty of it was, it was kept so strategically that there was a dip in the road just before the stone so the car bounces and hits the stone, HARD. The sound was deafening, the car started making a loud sound and we were in a state of shock.

I was sure the damage would be significant but it was a new road and I was with family so decided to carry on until i reached a known place. There were no warning lights, but the car was sounding like I got a free flow. Went to a relatives place, took a torch and tried to look at the underbody. I could see the protection plate bent just under the engine, scratches on the exhaust pipe, a small dent in the underbody.

There were no leaks, but there were vibrations while disengaging the clutch after engaging the first gear or the reverse. I was thanking God that the car was still working, the hit was such that I wouldn't have expected ANY vehicle to go unscathed, unless it was a Hummer.

Showed it to a local garage the next day, initial estimate 15K for various things and they hadnt even opened the safety plate yet. The only saving grace I had was that I had a 0 Dep policy, but I had no clue of what to expect from the infamous Fiat Service stations. There were 2 options I had in gurgaon, Torque and DRS and both seemed to have online reviews which made my heart sink.

Decided to go to DRS Gurgaon and see how it goes.

The Actual DRS Gurgaon Experience

Here is how it went - I called DRS, told them that I wanted to get my car checked and get an estimate for accident repair done.Reached the service station by 12PM, was greeted by a guard at the gate who asked me to park the car inside while they make an entry.

I left the car there, and went inside the office where the Service Advisors were. The SA I met was Pradeep, he greeted me and I told him my sad story. He heard me out patiently and came out with me to check the car.
Opened the job card for noise for underbody and said we will add stuff once we check it. We go inside the workshop, where all the lift bays already had cars being worked on. He spoke to the others and said it will take me an hour and a half to 2 hours for a slot. I was okay to wait.

2PM - A bay is vacated and my car is on the lift. Pradeep gives it a look, checks the dents, and says that we need to change the engine mount and we can hammer the safety plate into shape. I was quite surprised, the car was vibrating, the hit was really bad, it was making a sound like the exhaust was broken (couldn't see any breaks anywhere though). Told them that I wanted to get it checked completely and needed an estimate before I decided on insurance.

He then mentioned that in his opinion the bill would be under 3K and it would be a 20 min job to mend the car.

I was flabbergasted. There was no way in the world a car would survive that big a hit and have a bill of 3K. All he said was, "Sir, its a Fiat. Trust me, the safety cladding under it isn't plastic, it can take hits which you cant even imagine.I guarantee you, that's all that its going to be."

I asked them to remove the safety plate and show me the engine mount. He got them removed, the mount seemed to have taken a hit but I couldn't figure out more. In another 15 mins, the mount was changed, the plate hammered into its right shape, fitted back and I was told to take the test drive.

I was completely sure that this wouldn't work. Well, I was wrong. No sound, no vibrations, the car drove the way it used to before the hit. I tried my best to find faults, I couldn't. It was back to what it was. While I was there, i asked them to clean up the AC pipe as it was blocked and water was seeping into the passenger side foot-well. That was done in another few minutes, and the water in the carpet vacuumed as well.

Final bill - 2465.

They could have easily asked me to leave the car, given me an inflated bill knowing I had a 0 dep, but they didn't. They listened, diagnosed and gave me exactly what I needed. Didn't try to sell me anything, just asked me if I was satisfied and gave me their number if I ever faced any issues.

DRS has a happy customer in me.So does Fiat.

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2016 at 11:53. Reason: Clubbing your sentences together into paragraphs
sammyboy is offline   (32) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 19:55   #2
BHPian

Default re: Great experience at DRS Motors, Gurgaon (Fiat workshop)

Feels good to read such experiences in today's world.

Just a request: If you feel appropriate, please request mods to change the title to include something which depicts this positive experience. To be honest, when I first saw the title, I was not hoping to read anything positive. My bad!!
Engine_Roars is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 21:03   #3
BHPian

Now am I glad or what . Somebody having a good experience at a FASS, this is new and good news for us Fiat Lovers.
I stopped even thinking to buy Fiat cars after my pathetic and painful experience with Tata partnered workshops of Fiat.
Glad , they are on the right track . Hope things and improve in future
garry.brant is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 21:47   #4

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2016 at 11:55.
sudipz is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 17th May 2016, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post

I had a similar experience. I was driving my Punto 90 hp (back in 2013) and it was raining heavily. I had to turn left from a T junction and I noticed a huge pool of water. I was not sure of driving over it but a tempo on the left and a bus on the right left me with no choice than to drive over it.

Turns out it was indeed a huge crater or a stone hidden inside and I drove over it at around 30 kmph. The car bounced, scraped and emerged! The sound was deafening and my co-passenger got the shock of her life! It was raining heavily and I could not stop the car to inspect. No warning lights though!

Next morning, I took the car to a Maruti A.S.S. nearby and requested them to just check the under body. No damage at all except a slight dent to the engine protection cover.

The mechanic who inspected my car mentioned - "If this was a Maruti, you could have expected heavy bills. The protection plate is so thick and strong that I can imagine it had a heavy impact to bend this way."

My respect for FIAT only grew!
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 12:08   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Great experience at DRS Motors, Gurgaon (Fiat workshop)

Fantastic to hear about this experience! Both, the car & the service advisor, treated you well. Metal underbody plates are a must-have in India. Sadly, only one of my cars (the Jeep) has it.

End of the day, the quality of service entirely boils down to that one service advisor you get. You can get a good advisor at a bad workshop or vice versa.

Thanks for sharing! My Esteem had taken a similar hit once and it was much worse. The floorpan was bent. Don't know if yours was in the city or out, but with Indian highways being the way they are, it's 10 times safer to travel during the day.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 12:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
plate hammered into its right shape, fitted back and I was told to take the test drive.
Why not just change it? It's just about 2k INR, but can save 100 times that amount in such critical situations.

I had replaced the plate once after it took more than a dozen hits during my Chikmagalur - Kemmangundi drive inside Bhadra tiger reserve. This was pure off road territory that I wandered into, unknowingly. Was extremely thankful to FIAT for having such a sturdy metal plate underneath to take such heavy hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Metal underbody plates are a must-have in India. Sadly, only one of my cars (the Jeep) has it.
Before opening this thread, I was reading the discussion on the Honda City thread where members are mentioning that the engine guard is held by twelve plastic clips, five of them break off on their own every month. Was wondering how such a plate can take any sort of impact when required.

My Xcent sadly does not have any underbody plates. But it is just for parents and would do highway runs rarely, that too only day times.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 13:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Most people tend to shout from the (online) rooftops only about below par experiences, and ignore the positive ones.

Please do submit your feedback via the Fiat website and help Pradeep garner some brownie points with his boss

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 13:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Beauty of it was, it was kept so strategically that there was a dip in the road just before the stone so the car bounces and hits the stone, HARD. The sound was deafening, the car started making a loud sound and we were in a state of shock.
Sam, seems you have forgotten my experience with the Fiat. In my first month of ownership, I managed to drive the car into a gaping hole dug up by BBMP/BWSSB/BESCOM/Bangalore Road Digger's Association (pick one) with a massive thud.
The entire front left wheel went in and got spinning.

There was no way to drive the car out as the hole was at least 4 feet deep. Took 5 people to hoist the car out of the rut. I was pretty sure I would have bent the front arm and probably the brake tubes or suspension damage.

After I started the car, my fear was confirmed. The car vibrated like crazy. Got it towed to Concorde motors immediately. The Mechanic nonchalantly put the car on the hoist, checked the underbody, unscrewed the engine guard, THOR-ed it back in shape and fit it back on.

Apparently, the engine guard was bent and was acting as a conduit between the engine frame and the body, transferring the engine vibrations to the car body. 500 bucks for the tow and not one dime for the repair. I went back with a smooth as usual car!

They did build it right.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2016 at 12:02. Reason: Clubbing sentences together into paragraphs :)
aqualeo2040 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 14:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not just change it? It's just about 2k INR, but can save 100 times that amount in such critical situations.

I had replaced the plate once after it took more than a dozen hits during my Chikmagalur - Kemmangundi drive inside Bhadra tiger reserve. This was pure off road territory that I wandered into, unknowingly. Was extremely thankful to FIAT for having such a sturdy metal plate underneath to take such heavy hits.
CD, I know the road you are talking about. Its like giving the car a brutal punishment. I too have successfully scrapped on bad roads, but I generally dont bother to stop knowing that the guard will do the duty of keeping the engine safe.

Quote:
Before opening this thread, I was reading the discussion on the Honda City thread where members are mentioning that the engine guard is held by twelve plastic clips, five of them break off on their own every month. Was wondering how such a plate can take any sort of impact when required.

My Xcent sadly does not have any underbody plates. But it is just for parents and would do highway runs rarely, that too only day times.
The city would be been better off not having such an engine guard at all. At least the owners would have saved the headache of replacing the clips. The ones on the Punto and linea has 6 bolts which hold it in place and ensures the guard takes all the beating without unmounting itself. I am surprised to even think Honda approved a plastic clip design. May be it was high pressure on themselves to reduce weight of the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
They did build it right.
They build it alright, but they do not know how to sell it. Add a lousy management to the mix, a perfect recipe for disaster for the company.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 15:06   #11
BHPian

This is great to hear Sammyboy.
Like rightly said by GTO, underbody plates are absolute necessity in India. I had countless numbers of such thuds on the engine safety plate. In one such instance the plate got deformed and started to touch the turbo during heavy cornering with a creaking sound. SA at Vecto told me to replace the suspension, but an aftermarket garage guy hammered the engine guard back to shape and done.
However, in this case I was unlucky wrt to the Fiat SA. It indeed boils down to the individual SA.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 17th May 2016 at 15:08.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 16:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Feels good to read such experiences in today's world.

Just a request: If you feel appropriate, please request mods to change the title to include something which depicts this positive experience. To be honest, when I first saw the title, I was not hoping to read anything positive. My bad!!
You are right, I was in two minds whether to add the words - positive experience - or not, because fiat service reviews dont really go with that. lol
Thanks mods for editing the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Now am I glad or what . Somebody having a good experience at a FASS, this is new and good news for us Fiat Lovers.
I stopped even thinking to buy Fiat cars after my pathetic and painful experience with Tata partnered workshops of Fiat.
Glad , they are on the right track . Hope things and improve in future
Yes Garry, it was quite a revelation. TBH i have had an excellent experience with KHT whitefield as well, in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I had a similar experience.

My respect for FIAT only grew!
Wow, They dont say its "built like a Tank" without reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fantastic to hear about this experience! Both, the car & the service advisor, treated you well. Metal underbody plates are a must-have in India. Sadly, only one of my cars (the Jeep) has it.

End of the day, the quality of service entirely boils down to that one service advisor you get. You can get a good advisor at a bad workshop or vice versa.

Thanks for sharing! My Esteem had taken a similar hit once and it was much worse. The floorpan was bent. Don't know if yours was in the city or out, but with Indian highways being the way they are, it's 10 times safer to travel during the day.
Thats very true GTO, it all boils down to the service advisor you get. I have also realized that unless the reviews are on team bhp or one of the reliable websites (not many), they cant really give you the right picture.

This was within the city, I too avoid driving on highways at night as much as I can.

Quote:
Why not just change it?

I checked with them, they said its not damaged beyond repair and can be easily put back in so I let them. There wasnt any tear anywhere, which was quite surprising considering the hit.
Quote:
You know what, i did this route on my ninja, during the rainy season. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Please do submit your feedback via the Fiat website and help Pradeep garner some brownie points with his boss
Cheers,
Vikram
Good idea Vikram, will do that. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Sam, seems you have forgotten my experience with the Fiat.

500 bucks for the tow and not one dime for the repair. I went back with a smooth as usual car!

They did build it right.
Oh yes, I remember that Soumya. Plus there was another time where your alloys took the brunt but the car came out unscathed.

That Punto of yours was epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
This is great to hear Sammyboy.

However, in this case I was unlucky wrt to the Fiat SA. It indeed boils down to the individual SA.
Completely agree.
sammyboy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote