Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 09:47   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 707
Thanked: 89 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Even if it is a leak, only the O ring will be covered. The rest needs to be paid for.

Fiat is learning from other manufacturers on how to reject warranty for silly reasons. Extended warranty is no longer an option. Good going when the sales are struggling to hit 4 digit mark.
Surprisingly, I had a trouble free time with warranty. I think a lot depends on the dealer too. Oberoi (though it no longer exists) was brilliant!
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 10:53   #17
BHPian
 
forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 71
Thanked: 142 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviG View Post

I had visited Lifetime Mobbilities, Thane for the AC cooling issue to be covered under Extended warranty for the Policy # 21404632770.


But the claim was rejected by company saying "Service is not done as per schedule" with the response below.

What did the service centre people come up in their diagnosis? Is it a cooling coil problem, compressor issue or a leakage from the O-ring?
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 11:36   #18
BHPian
 
maverickxx2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 183
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Well legally and technically Fiat can reject the warranty claim on the basis that service schedule has not been followed. They have every right to do so. For that matter any other car manufacturer.

Though your claim sounds genuine, to reject the claim FIAT is not entirely wrong from technical perspective.

As mentioned in above posts, FIAT has been genuinely responding to the claims if escalated. For me I had no issues in any of the warranty claims ( I do every servicing as per the schedule or some time before the dates).

As suggested, do talk to FIAT higher teams.
maverickxx2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 11:44   #19
mxh
BHPian
 
mxh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 218
Thanked: 191 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Pathetic cheapness by Fiat! They do not even deserve their miserable sales numbers. No wonder they are going to zero in India.
mxh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 11:51   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,654
Thanked: 1,109 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Just to clarify, FIAT has got nothing to do with this.

Extended warranty is managed by a third party, like Europ. It is like insurance.

That aside, it is stupid for them to count paltry kms as grounds for warranty rejection, that too for something related to the aircon.

Ground reality is, extended warranty is a gamble, it hugely varies, and has been on the positive side for most users I know of.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 12:16   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Is this the joke thread?
If I hit the service mark on the Eway, am I supposed to get a flatbed from wherever I am?
If you're going to miss or overshoot a couple of markers, you'll have to be Rain-man to keep track of your 60k service. 1st was 200 over, second was 439 under, then it was 98 over, Am I due for service? Was I?
Can a firm like fiat, who have been kicking at the door repeatedly for such a long time, afford to be so high-handed? It's almost as if they don't want to sell here as a policy!

The dealer, A.S.S is an extension of the brand for the customer. Fiat cant get away by saying they are independents. The buying customer will walk away. And they are, by the looks of things.
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 12:50   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 641 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Fiat's extended warranty approval is done at 'Dealer's Cost' rather than at manufacturer's cost. So extended warranty honoring is done at dealer's discretion.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 13:05   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,709
Thanked: 89,162 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Sucks to hear of this. Fiat has paltry sales numbers and you'd expect them / their dealers to bend over backward to serve the few owners who trusted them. The company can always step in to correct an errant dealer. Worst case, if customer service was their thing, they'd pay out of pocket to keep an owner smiling.

Their reasons for rejection are ridiculous. As other BHPians have suggested, take it up with another friendlier dealer and also write to Fiat. Not many workshops in the Mumbai / Thane region though.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 13:28   #24
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 554
Thanked: 248 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

What is the claim exactly for? What part is being replaced? What is the cost? This is more of a trick by the dealer and extended warranty underwriter.

Also, ask them a few simple questions:

1. If 30k service was delayed by 593 kms and 45k service was delayed by 98 kms why was the warranty not void then and there itself? Delay in service is supposed to void the factory warranty too! Forget the extended warranty.

2. Why did they give you the benefits associated with the scheduled service (mainly no labour costs) if you had supposedly overshot the service interval. The odo readings are perfectly within acceptable limits! Hence, the manufacturer never bothered making an issue out of it.

3. Did the service station comment on your invoice / job card of 30k and 45k service that the delay in service might have an impact on the functioning of the car, especially the AC (They do this: For e.g. if some part change is recommended and owner declines then they clearly mention on the invoice as a footnote "Change of part XXXX recommended")

Escalate to FIAT and hopefully things are taken care of.

On a separate note: I disagree with some of the opinions here that the service interval is counted from 0. As far as I know, after the first service, next service interval is always measured from the odo reading / time of the previous service.

If my first service / oil change is done in January 2015 with ODO at 5k, my next service / oil change will be in January 2016 or ODO at 20k, whichever earlier. The 30k, 45k suggested intervals then almost become irrelevant.

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 6th June 2016 at 13:39.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 13:30   #25
BHPian
 
AkMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 888
Thanked: 1,285 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Those are really cheap tactics from Fiat. Looks like they are really not interested in selling here.

@Mods: I see that the title is edited & now says "slightly overshooting service intervals". I think the title is still a bit misleading. The owner has done services at 14082, 29675, 44773 kms which is not beyond what manufacturer recommends.

Please refer to the following post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have never seen a factory manual that counts scheduled service intervals from previous service. They all begin counting from ZERO on the clock and odo, and go upto whatever the warranty period is, not resetting count at every service.
I request you to reconsider the title.

PS: The dealer's rejection reason is hilarious. How can a 30000 km service be due at 29082 km? How can a 45000 km service be due at 44675 km? Then why are they called 30000 km service & 45000 km service?

Last edited by AkMar : 6th June 2016 at 13:30. Reason: Typo
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 13:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,359
Thanked: 13,315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
How can a 30000 km service be due at 29082 km? How can a 45000 km service be due at 44675 km? Then why are they called 30000 km service & 45000 km service?
We aren't sure if the timeliness right. Only thing posted is the kms that service was done.

Any service schedule will have time and distance as a point of decision like "10K kms or 1 year or whichever is earlier."

Service may have been done at 44675 for the 45K service but time? That hasn't been mentioned by the OP.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 14:00   #27
BHPian
 
centaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: --
Posts: 713
Thanked: 751 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
On a separate note: I disagree with some of the opinions here that the service interval is counted from 0. As far as I know, after the first service, next service interval is always measured from the odo reading / time of the previous service.
IMHO the KMs/time period is always taken from the date of sale and not from previous service but now looking at the explanations in this thread, I too am a little confused. So just to clear my understanding I am presenting the below scenario and would like to know when will the next service be due -

I purchase my car on 1st Jan and I finish my first service of 5000 kms/ 6 months on 1st May at 4998kms. Now is the 10,000kms service due after another 5002 kms or after another 4998+5000kms? Also on the time period, will the next 6 month service be counted date of sale to be 31st Dec (i.e. 1 year from sale date of 1st Jan) or 6 months from my previous service which is 31st Oct?

AFAIK it will be at 10000kms on the odo i.e. 4998+5002 kms and/or 31st Dec and not the other case. Can anyone help clarify?

Last edited by centaur : 6th June 2016 at 14:02.
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 14:07   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,566
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Quote:
How can a 30000 km service be due at 29082 km? How can a 45000 km service be due at 44675 km? Then why are they called 30000 km service & 45000 km service?
Actually 30K and 45K are mere representation for easy reminders. The actual blue print is service every 15K. In case you got your first service say at 14K, you are supposed to get the service done before 29K and not 30K.

The service interval is reset to 0 manually post service and it starts in 365 days calendar and 15K KM count down in reverse. So basically if your odo read 14K you have another 15K before you service it.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 14:11   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,921
Thanked: 3,380 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
IMHO the KMs/time period is always taken from the date of sale........
You've got it right. All service milestones count from ODO reading '0' and time zero (Date of Sale). If in doubt, check your initial free service coupons, they'll have DoS stamped on them for dealer's reference. I also get my in-warranty automated service reminders and the kms/date always corresponds to date of sale, nothing to do with my previous service (which I always get done early to avoid last-minute hassles).

Quote:
I purchase my car on 1st Jan and I finish my first service of 5000 kms/ 6 months on 1st May at 4998kms. Now is the 10,000kms service due after another 5002 kms or after another 4998+5000kms?
Your first service was due on/before 5k kms/6 months from date of sale (whichever happens earlier), second service due at 10k kms (net ODO reading) or 1 year from date of sale (whichever happens earlier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
......
The service interval is reset to 0 manually post service and it starts in 365 days calendar and 15K KM count down in reverse. So basically if your odo read 14K you have another 15K before you service it.
Not true w.r.t. warranty. As long as I meet the km/time equation, there's no reason to be denied warranty.

If I don't drive my car enough for a particular time period and have to get it serviced early km-wise than indicated to meet the time clause, that doesn't mean I'm now stuck with reduced km-wise warranty for the rest of the warranty term.

E.g. If my first service was due at 5k kms/6 months and I only drove 2k kms, it DOES NOT mean my warranty will be void if I drove the car 7000 kms in the next 6 months. I'm perfectly entitled to drive my car as many kms I please as long as I get it to second service with the ODO readind 10k kms or less and/or less than ONE year elapsed from Date of Sale, whichever happens earlier.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th June 2016 at 14:29.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 14:24   #30
Newbie
 
AviG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Thank you guys and I have asked my buddy to go through the any questions that have been posted on the thread and let me know so I can get back to you guys.

Meanwhile for the ones who asked about the email received, here's a copy of the email and the parties in loop. I have masked email addresses as a privacy measure

Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!-screen-shot-20160606-2.16.05-pm.png
AviG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended Service Intervals & Content sgiitk Technical Stuff 62 23rd March 2016 23:08
Service Intervals & Recommendations sgiitk Technical Stuff 42 24th May 2013 00:26
Fabia stalling issue: Dealer unable to diagnose. EDIT: Skoda agrees to replace car mayank123 Indian Car Dealerships 24 16th September 2009 13:41
Tata 2.2 service intervals(Regular service) tsk1979 Technical Stuff 29 21st December 2007 15:01
Esteem service intervals? frankmehta Technical Stuff 1 14th May 2006 14:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks