Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 8th July 2016, 16:42   #16
BHPian

Default re: BMW dealer wants Rs. 42,000 for temporary registration - Is it mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Didn't see your quote. Agree with you, except you don't need inspection for temp registration. You need a registration to drive in public roads. The purpose of temp itself is to take it to RTO for permanent registration. So, no inspection there.
The vehicle has to be produced at RTO for temp regn. Generally the dealers have good relations with the RTO inspectors and they are able to get TR without producing the vehicle due to business volumes and faith. The car can be taken on bulk TR numbers allotted to the dealer for local movement to RTO for permanent registration or temp registration. The bulk TR to dealer is allotted by the RTO and is specific to that dealer and comes with certain do's and Dont's. It is the number you see on all new cars within dealer premises on yellow/red background. Even manufacturers are allotted TR numbers to move vehicles from factory to Ports like Hyundai/Ford/Nissan has in chennai.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 8th July 2016 at 16:45.
RajeVenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 16:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
In that case why don't you just buy the car from Chennai itself? It still will have the same state registration. Or is that not allowed?

Also I am told that its compulsory to get the vehicle temporarily registered in Kolkata before the permanent number can be given. Can anyone confirm this?
I am in the process of buying a Dzire AGS at Kolkata. The full payment was made on 29th June, invoiced on 30th June, but delivery shall happen either 13th or 14th July as they are going to permanently register the car before delivery. The delay can be attributed to the recent two days holidays at Kolkata. No temporary registration / TC plate delivery in my case. As far as my knowledge goes, temporary registration can be done in case the address of registration is in a different town as compared to the purchase town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
My 2 cents.

Temporary registration is issued to any new vehicle to transport it from the place of Purchase (Dealer Showroom) to the place of Registration (RTO). Basically rule is that for a vehicle to be on road, it should be registered.

we usually do our Temporary registration first and then do permanent registration within the month. Is there any place where they do not do temporary registration and directly do permanent registration? I doubt there is. Even if you were a resident of Chennai, you would still need to do a temp registration is what I feel.

Someone correct me If I am wrong.
Sir, dealers can transport card (read drive) by using affixing on the car what is called a trade plate. Only employees of the dealership are allowed to drive vehicles with trade plate (usually a red sticker with a TC number). It is illegal for dealerships to deliver new vehicles to customer on trade plates

Last edited by Aditya : 13th July 2016 at 08:11. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ALTIMAed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 16:58   #18
BHPian

Default re: BMW dealer wants Rs. 42,000 for temporary registration - Is it mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Sir, dealers can transport card (read drive) by using affixing on the car what is called a trade plate. Only employees of the dealership are allowed to drive vehicles with trade plate (usually a red sticker with a TC number). It is illegal for dealerships to deliver new vehicles to customer on trade plates
You are right and I have also put up the same above. I was going by the premise that the dealer would be taking care of registration hence I mentioned that the vehicle can be driven to RTO on trade plates. Thanks I was not recollecting the term trade plates. As regards your new purchase, you don't need two weeks for registration, it is a few hours process. The number is allotted by day end but the certificates do take time between 7 to 14 days.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 8th July 2016 at 17:05.
Old 8th July 2016, 17:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
If a dealer is forcing you to do temp regn for the same city regn then he is fleecing you.
My bad. was reading some forums and got the info wrong.
My first vehicle was bought way back in 2005 when I was in college. That time I remember I got everything done by my friend who was working in the showroom. The next 2 instance when I bought vehicle, I bought from one city and registered in another (Inter State), so maybe that's why I was suggested for temp registration. With so many rules and exceptions for each state, everything is confusing I guess.
RaghuVis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 17:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought inspection by RTO was mandatory for permanent registration. How will they verify if the engine/chassis numbers match what is given in the papers without seeing the vehicle in person?
Either dealers are authorised to register or they take it to RTO, I am not sure.

Quote:
Didn't see your quote. Agree with you, except you don't need inspection for temp registration. You need a registration to drive in public roads. The purpose of temp itself is to take it to RTO for permanent registration. So, no inspection there.
There are two types of temp registrations. One with red plates and is done for vehicles in transit, like from manufacturer to dealer. Second is done till you get the permanent number and is valid for a month from date of purchase. The vehicles is physically required by RTO in the second case.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 17:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle has to be produced at RTO for temp regn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
There are two types of temp registrations. One with red plates and is done for vehicles in transit, like from manufacturer to dealer. Second is done till you get the permanent number and is valid for a month from date of purchase. The vehicles is physically required by RTO in the second case.
If that's true, I would assume there are real lapses in the system. When I took delivery, I was on the showroom full day on the day of the delivery. The vehicle was not send to RTO but the showroom guys were at the RTO for temp and came with the temp only by evening. Permanent registration was done after 3 weeks or so.

I never heard about two types of temp registration, thanks for that.
vjjustin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 17:48   #22
BHPian

My dealer said, now a days some of the RTO's does not require vehicle to be present to do registration and its all online process now. One such RTO is indira nagar(KA-03), and my car was registered there last month.
smnrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 17:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
My dealer said, now a days some of the RTO's does not require vehicle to be present to do registration and its all online process now. One such RTO is indira nagar(KA-03), and my car was registered there last month.
Well, its not mandatory to produce the vehicle physically while registering it. It is completely at the discretion of the RTO officer if he intends to check the vehicle.

Most dealerships have their "setting" at the RTO to avoid physical verification and the added cost associated with it.

I personally know one such dealership in Pune, who sends their top-end vehicle's test drive car with a driver each sunday to RTO officer's house. He uses it for driving around his wife and kids for shopping and stuff, sometimes even outstation trips. The fuel is sponsored by the dealership of course.
All this in return favor of not calling the vehicles for physical inspection and avoiding unnecessary hassles during the registration process.

Thanks
Mitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 18:26   #24
BHPian

I had registered a car in 2007, a bike in 2015 and a car last month. In all the cases, the procedure is as follows:

1. At the time of purchase, the dealer will collect the life tax of the vehicle and also do a temporary registration, either online or will produce the vehicle at RTO and get it back at the dealership before delivery. In Hyderabad, this usually happens online, on the day of payment to the dealership.

2. The dealer will give the required set of documents that need to be submitted to the RTO during the registration process. It will include the receipts for the life tax paid, temporary registration certificate, relevant documents such as form 20, 21 & 22 that need to be submitted during the registration process. These all should be given by the dealer with proper attestations.

3. The temporary registration will be valid for a period of one month.

4. During the course of the month, the owner will have to take the vehicle to RTO, pay the registration fees, which is usually around Rs.600/- and get the vehicle registered.

5. In Hyderabad, they check if you already have another vehicle registered against your name and charge 2% extra if they find one. Also, you will have to produce a valid proof of residence like everywhere else.

6. Once the fees is paid, the receipt has to be taken to RTO inspector who will physically verify the chassis number and get it imprinted on the list of documents produced during registration.

7. Finally, another RTO guy (head) will look at the documents and sign on it to approve the registration. All this will happen on the same day you go to the RTO.

8. An extra step in Hyderabad is you take your vehicle for getting the High Security Registration Plate fixed at the RTO, once you get a SMS that your number plates are ready.

For my new car, it just took 4 working days from my submission to the RTO, till the number plates were fixed, which is really cool. Moreover I did not have to take any broker's help as it's that easy now. Hope this information helps.

Last edited by saleem_k : 8th July 2016 at 18:27. Reason: Formatting
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 23:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Check this Tamil Nadu RTO link for the fees details, http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/eng%20cc/rc1.html

Temporary Registration of Motor Vehicles:

What is the amount of Fees payable?

(i) 2% of Life Time Tax
(ii) Rs.40/- + Service charges Rs.100/- with vehicle tax
You are spot on. While I still don't understand the need to pay for temporary registration from my pocket, 2% of Rs.4,66,000 (LTT) works out to Rs.9500 and the dealership is asking me to pay Rs.42,000 for temporary registration. This is frustrating to say the least and I was not expecting such a terrible experience from BMW
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 00:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If that's true, I would assume there are real lapses in the system. When I took delivery, I was on the showroom full day on the day of the delivery. The vehicle was not send to RTO but the showroom guys were at the RTO for temp and came with the temp only by evening. Permanent registration was done after 3 weeks or so.

I never heard about two types of temp registration, thanks for that.
Yes since 2015 at Tamilnadu the process has been made online.. The dealer enters all the details of the vehicle online and submits the documents to RTO, the onus of providing correct info is of the dealer. He subsequently submits the hard copies of documents to RTO.. Maybe in your case this has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Yes as I said even Hosur RTO is following this procedure but my vehicle was physically produced for temp regn although the data was updated online.

@Mitz That is why I love my country.. With the right SETTING anything is possible. I was offered a regn at another state without producing my vehicle to the RTO
Old 9th July 2016, 02:56   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Sorry can't be done, firstly you can purchase a car from anywhere that is correct but as per procedure you have to produce the car for inspection at RTO for temp or permanent registration. No RTO will do the permanent registration only based on temp papers without physical production of car. Moreover to get a car registered under a particular RTO you have to give proof of residence within the area it serves. So your suggestion will not work.
I am sorry but it does work. When a car arrives at a dealer, the RTO inspector in whose jurisdiction the dealership lies visits the dealership and inspects the cars. The pencil impression of Engine and Chassis numbers are taken on the registration form (forgot the number) and signed. When you buy the car the dealer fills in your details in the form and gives it to your or the broker. Now you take it to the RTO (in the same state) in whose jurisdiction your home/office lies and get it registered. The inspection done at the dealership even if done by an inspector from a different RTO stand valid. Now I have done this procedure so I know it works.

Quote:
PS: There are RTOs in the country which circumvent all these procedures but their authenticity I will not comment.
I did not pay any bribe nor did I pull all strings to do the above procedure. So I know it's fully legal.

Quote:
Sorry, That is not the case. @ Mitz The dealers have a pool of temp numbers allotted to them to move the vehicles from yard to the showroom or showroom to the nearest RTO under own power( self propelled). You do not require a temp regn if the place of purchase and registering RTO is located in same city. If for any reason the sale city and registration city are different then a temp regn is mandatory as was your case Mitz. If a dealer is forcing you to do temp regn for the same city regn then he is fleecing you.
What the dealers have is trade plates (Red Plate and White numbers). This allows them to move vehicles between showrooms and stockyards etc. (though many dealers misuse them for giving test drives). The number of plates issued to the dealer depends on the size of the dealerships. The dealer is required to keep a log of the plate usage (which vehicle, from when to when etc). Same has to be submitted to RTO on a monthly basis. Temporary registration is Yellow Plate with Red Numbers. This is for the car owner to drive the car without permanent registration provided he can justify the reason (usually registration in another state)
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 08:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I am looking to purchase BMW X1 at Coimbatore. Coimbatore dealership's quote includes Rs.42,000 for temporary registration and Rs.4,66,473 for permanent registration.

The dealer is taking you for a ride. I work in a dealership and the way temp reg works is this way.

Cars arrive from stockyard on T/C plates - the white on red ones that allow the dealer to bring car to the showroom.

Incase of a customer residing in another jurisdiction RTO, we apply for CRTM. This is kinda temp registration that is valid for 7 days from the date of issue and you must get a permanent number (of any RTO) in this period.

Now, the temp reg rules vary from state to state and you can find the exact rules at your RTO website. You can extend the 7 days validity, but as far as I know, usually it has never been required.

This temp no will be of format MH06(temp)xxxx. When you take your car to your home RTo, the inspector will match your cars engine and chassis number to this CRTM. Then you pay the applicable road tax and get a permanent number.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 09:47   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
You are spot on. While I still don't understand the need to pay for temporary registration from my pocket, 2% of Rs.4,66,000 (LTT) works out to Rs.9500 and the dealership is asking me to pay Rs.42,000 for temporary registration. This is frustrating to say the least and I was not expecting such a terrible experience from BMW
I agree, the temporary registration, if required, should be built into the price and not an add on. It is his problem and not yours.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote