Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 5th September 2016, 12:17   #16

Default Re: Video recording of your car being serviced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Nope. A general service usually takes around 2-3 hours at the max. And once or twice in a year I don't mind sitting through the video of my beloved car getting serviced. Imagine the time most of us spend on Youtube and Facebook daily. A few hours for my car on couple of occasions in a year is nothing at all.

Exactly!
Many manufacturers have mandated that shop floor should be visible from customer lounge. You can chose such a brand or workshop which has such facility and see your car serviced in front of your eyes. You can request the Service Advisor to put the car in the bay most visible from customer lounge. You can take a day off or get it serviced on a holiday (Saturday-Sunday). Most cars now have a service interval of one year and dedicating one or two days in a year for beloved car is worth it, isn't it? Much more practical than video recording.
fazayal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 08:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

As far I know, majority of the crowd is not even bothered to review the bill and check what is changed and what is not. So, even if you hand-over a video of the servicing, they won't even bother to check the video.

In my opinion, video recording of each and every task of the technician will just put him under more pressure.

However, I always have this question of "What if the servicing guy misses something?". So, I take a day off from work and make sure to be at the service center during servicing.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 09:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

However, I always have this question of "What if the servicing guy misses something?". So, I take a day off from work and make sure to be at the service center during servicing.
Same here. Its just once a year that the car needs servicing, and I usually be present throughout the process. Last saturday I got the first service done for my Celerio. Though this is nothing huge, I did not leave the car at the service center and stayed there. I sat in the lounge seeing the whole process. Contrary to my belief, they did a detailed inspection and tightened a lot of things around the vehicle, topped up stuff. The oil dipstick was checked six times to ensure that it is at the right level. Not sure if they do it for all cars, or just because my car had a 'Customer Waiting' sticker pasted on it.

Rather than spending time reviewing a video, I feel its always better to watch the whole process in person, so that we can point out a few things here and there which we would have missed while handing over the car. I had forgotten to indicate some greasing jobs on the seat which I did so later.

However, in case the service is done in closed areas where customers are not allowed, I will never leave a car there, and if its a manufacturer policy, I would not buy a car of theirs. From a safety point of view, this is agreeable however that makes sense to prevent people from loitering around in the work area. But there are some instances where it is necessary for customers to take a peek into any issues when necessary. If this isnt allowed, it is not a good practice.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 13:04   #19
BHPian

Default Protection from unauthorised access to engine bay in unlocked car?

Recently, my cousin left his car at a dent-paint workshop, for some paint job. The workshop also does mechanical job. The car was left in the morning along with the keys. He was told that the car would be ready by next day. On knowing about this in the evening, I advised him to go and check the progress, lock the car and bring the keys back for the night.

He went to the workshop and was shocked to see, two mechs surrounding the engine bay with open hood. On questioning, they gave silly excuses with wicked smiles. He locked the car and brought the keys with him. Next day we got the remaining work done in front of us. What were their intentions, we would never know. May be they were just checking engine out of curiosity, or worst they were planning some part replacement.

My question now is - Is there a way to restrict unwanted access to engine bay in unlocked cars ? I haven't searched online for a solution, there may be or may not be. Even if there is any, I doubt the practicality.

These solutions work best, if they come from manufacturers. I hope that companies give a thought about this. There could be key mechanism to make hood opening lever non-functional or something like that.

I know, there will still be many ways/areas to dupe customer, but atleast we can leave the car for work not requiring hood access, without worrying about the most important and critical area of our car.
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 17:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Protection from unauthorised access to engine bay in unlocked car?

Do a Google search for "car bonnet lock" or "car hood lock". A few options are available on eBay and Amazon.

But I think its best not to go to a particular workshop if you don't trust them.
smartcat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote