Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 1st September 2016, 01:38   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars

This news reminded me of the Kawasaki fiasco so thought of posting over here. As per the news,

Quote:
16 customers complained of not getting their cars delivered to them despite having paid part or the entire amount.

According to the police, the case might run up to a crore as the minimum amount paid by the allegedly duped customers to the car-dealing company CarBerry is Rs 25,000 while the highest is Rs 11,00,000.
Source and full article : Mumbai Mirror

Although they are a multi brand dealership, they also deal in used imports and superbikes. Does anyone have any experiences dealing with Carberry?

CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-img_20160626_16295412.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2016 at 09:50. Reason: Updating url, thanks for sharing!
v12 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 09:55   #2
BHPian

Default Re: CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars

They have put up an apology letter on their website!!!

http://www.carberry.in/
saion666 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 10:04   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars

I've never quite understood why people buy new cars from unauthorised dealers. Sure, the discount might be slightly more, but that defeats the main purpose of buying a new car - peace of the mind. I've never bought a new car from the unauthorised segment. That couple of thousand bucks in discount simply isn't worth it.

The Mumbai Mirror article states that a case has been filed under section 420. Very good. They'll be arrested the minute they're traced (and traced, they will be).

Their website now has an apology on the homepage:
CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-capture.png
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 10:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Anytime I see a business, particularly a large one that needs to project an image of trust and solidity and one that has high turnover, I quickly check their email ID. And anytime I see a free service provider listed (e.g. businessname@gmail.com, or Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.), it diminishes my trust in them. If they can afford physical frontage and advertising, they better invest in their digital frontage too. Gmail offers businesses email IDs for as little as $5 a user, so there's no reason for them not to take this little step.

CarBerry have listed one such email ID, and the Kawasaki dealer also listed a Gmail ID.
arunphilip is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 10:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I've never quite understood why people buy new cars from unauthorised dealers. Sure, the discount might be slightly more, but that defeats the main purpose of buying a new car - peace of the mind. I've never bought a new car from the unauthorised segment. That couple of thousand bucks in discount simply isn't worth it.

The Mumbai Mirror article states that a case has been filed under section 420. Very good. They'll be arrested the minute they're traced (and traced, they will be).

What an apology of an "Apology letter"

This is the first time I am even hearing that new cars are sold through 3rd party dealerships. Something new to learn every day I guess
arvind71181 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 10:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The concept of buying new cars via brokers seems to be very popular in countries like UK. This is useful to customers as long payments are made directly to the authorized dealer, and not to the broker. The dealer should pay the broker a fee for bringing in the customers.

Customers benefit because -

1) No need to haggle with dealer. You are pretty much getting the lowest price. An individual customer gets the same benefit as a corporate customer (who buys in bulk)

2) On Rs. 10 Lac car, discounts can go up to Rs. 1 Lac - especially when inventories are piling up at the dealers/manufacturer's end or if there is a new model coming in. Unless a customer visits each and every brand's dealership, he will not know about such discounts. Good for dealers/manufacturers too - because it helps clear up inventories at a much faster rate.

Type in "new car discounts UK" in Google and you will find many such websites. If you are looking for a business idea in the automobile field with very low overheads and minimum initial costs, this is it!

CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-20160901.png
smartcat is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 11:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Anytime I see a business, particularly a large one that needs to project an image of trust and solidity and one that has high turnover, I quickly check their email ID. And anytime I see a free service provider listed (e.g. businessname@gmail.com, or Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.), it diminishes my trust in them.
This was the first thing that came to my mind when reading the apology letter (Or maybe I should say 'aplogies' or 'apolgies') . Next was the poorly written apology itself. Seems to be a blocking tactic. Google shows a link to a Facebook page which seems to have been taken down. Has this just come into the limelight. Searching online shows up consumer complaints dating back to Sept 2015.

CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-carberry2.jpg
CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-carberry1.jpg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 1st September 2016 at 11:30.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 11:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This was the first thing that came to my mind when reading the apology letter
LOL, good spots.

Funnily enough, after I made my earlier post, I noticed that the hoarding in the first picture lists a business email ID info@carberry.in but that is not referenced in the apology letter, nor their website (or should I say web page, because its just the apology letter, and has no other information on it like 'Contact Us', 'About Us', etc.)
Name:  IMG_20160626_16295412.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  75.5 KB
Signs like these (email ID, typos) are what point to a company's ineptitude. If they can't get these small things right, how can they deal with the larger stuff?
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:23   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The concept of buying new cars via brokers seems to be very popular in countries like UK. This is useful to customers as long payments are made directly to the authorized dealer, and not to the broker. The dealer should pay the broker a fee for bringing in the customers.
In India, it's usually the DSAs (bank loans) who push for new car delivery through unauthorised dealerships. They promise a better price + quicker delivery (for cars with a waiting period).

DSAs + unauthorised new car dealers can also help the morons who want to buy a new car with black money.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
In India, it's usually the DSAs (bank loans) who push for new car delivery through unauthorised dealerships. They promise a better price + quicker delivery (for cars with a waiting period).

DSAs + unauthorised new car dealers can also help the morons who want to buy a new car with black money.
I have a question. Where do these unauthorized dealers source the cars from? Do they get them directly from the company or do they procure them from authorized dealers?
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
LOL, good spots.

Funnily enough, after I made my earlier post, I noticed that the hoarding in the first picture lists a business email ID info@carberry.in but that is not referenced in the apology letter, nor their website (or should I say web page, because its just the apology letter, and has no other information on it like 'Contact Us', 'About Us', etc.)...
Probably because the domain expired on 18 th June 2016. They are in grace period now.
Quote:
Domain I D8506311-AFIN
Domain Name:CARBERRY.IN
Created On:18-Jun-2014 14:50:12 UTC
Last Updated On:05-Jun-2015 04:18:12 UTC
Expiration Date:18-Jun-2016 14:50:12 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, LLC (R101-AFIN)
Reason:
Reason:
Reason:
Reason:
Registrant ID:CR170758014
Registrant Name:Sunil Jha
Registrant Organization:Triveni Enterprises
Registrant Street1:303/103 Aries CHS, Evershine
Registrant Street2:City, Vasai East, Thane
Source :http://domainbigdata.com/carberry.in
rselva is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 15:49   #12
BHPian

This is getting interesting. Checked their website now out of curiosity and there is a frantic attempt to prove their honesty and convey that they are being maligned/ victimized. The last one seems a veiled threat as well.
Attached Thumbnails
CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-1.jpg  

CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-2.jpg  

CarBerry (multi-brand dealer) fraud! Takes money, doesn't deliver cars-3.jpg  

Last edited by saion666 : 8th September 2016 at 16:01.
saion666 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:30   #13
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a genuine plea by the CEO and the customers should give adequate time for them to make amendments / payback. This seems to be much better handled than the SNK incident.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote