Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 12th September 2016, 17:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Skoda Superb total loss: Roof collapse at dealer's yard

Posting this on a friends behalf who is not a member here and asked me to do so.

My car, Skoda superb(UP80-CL-9212) was sent to Skoda Authorized Workshop (Shiel Ventures Pvt.Ltd.Agra) for repairs on 24/7/2016.

The expected delivery date was 29/07/16 as per the Workshop Job Card. The car was not delivered till 1/9/2016. Finally on 1/9/2016 I got a call from the workshop that my car is extensively damaged.

The Wall and Pillar of the Workshop collapsed on 1/9/2016 and fell on my car damaging the car extensively and ‘beyond repairs’.

Now, after 8 days of waiting, I am surprised that SKODA has nothing to offer me in compensation. All I got was a phone call from the customer care department wherein the operator said that she would talk to her seniors about it. No senior even bothered to call me. I demand my car is replaced with a new car immediately as all this has happened because of the gross negligence of the company.

Skoda Superb total loss: Roof collapse at dealer's yard-14238184_10210813627359007_8920133843343468239_n.jpg

He has also posted on Skodas facebook page.

He can take this matter ahead from here if he is made a member of this forum. MODS - please consider as he wants Skoda to respond which they are not doing so at the moment.

Last edited by vkochar : 12th September 2016 at 17:26.
vkochar is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 17:32   #2
BHPian

First a Jetta stolen from workshop a few days ago, and now this - What is going on with VAG group? Here's the link to thread (Jetta Highline stolen from VW Capital workshop, Delhi!).

A few points that came to my mind:
  1. What did the workshop say during the approx 1 month period from 29/7 to 1/9? I am sure your friend must have inquired the status of vehicle multiple times.
  2. Did the dealer tell the exact date when the wall collapsed?
  3. It is really surprising (or perhaps not, considering we are talking of Skoda) that dealership has not made any offer for compensation after more than a month
  4. Please request your friend to take this up at highest level in the dealership & Skoda. Exerting pressure on them is the only way to make them act, in my opinion.
  5. Try out all other options first before taking the legal route. Considering our judicial system, God knows when the verdict will come out.

Do keep us updated on the developments.

Last edited by GTO : 13th September 2016 at 13:41. Reason: Merging both your posts
AkMar is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 17:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Skoda Superb total loss: Roof collapse at dealer's yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
My car, Skoda superb(UP80-CL-9212) was sent to Skoda Authorized Workshop (Shiel Ventures Pvt.Ltd.Agra) for repairs on 24/7/2016. The expected delivery date was 29/07/16 as per the Workshop Job Card. The car was not delivered till 1/9/2016
When was the car purchased, and how much has it run? Is your friend's car the only one affected, or were there others also damaged? If there are others, its probably easier for all to work together.

Could you also give a bit of detail as to why there was a delay of over a month from the committed delivery date? Was he given a loaner car in the interim?

Is that the actual service center? Or some cowshed next door they park additional vehicles?

Assuming that all the details provided here are fair, then my advice is: Given that this is Skoda, and given Skoda's history in terms of customer (dis)satisfaction, I'd suggest that your friend contact a lawyer to initiate legal proceedings, instead of waiting for social media channels and customer care dealings. If Skoda or the dealer come back with a suitable compromise, then the legal stuff can be halted, stating that a compromise has been arrived at.

Last edited by arunphilip : 12th September 2016 at 17:35.
arunphilip is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 19:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a Skoda Authorised Service Centre where this has occurred you say. Or as Arun asks, it is some temp parking arrangement made by the dealer workshop? And it looks like a big weakness in the construction itself which has led to this...

Im not sure how any direct liability per se for this can be attached to Skoda India - if at all, it can only be construed as by extension because this was an Authorised Service Garage.

The actual liability would more likely rest with the Dealer himself, who ought to be insured against such "Acts of God" - he may even have some back to back insurance arrangement with his landlord in case he doesn't own the place himself. (Like a Renters Insurance) but I would think this is extremely unlikely indeed.

Ultimately, I think it is more of the dealer's liability/ responsibility and I believe if one consults a lawyer, one is likely to receive a similar opinion.

Lastly, this is clearly a terrible thing, but could have been occasioned as I said, by weak construction or negligence on the part of the builder etc but there is no way of proving any of this at all - more so especially in India.

My suggestion for what it is worth, is to start talking immediately along with photos and a clearly sequenced record of events, to the Car Insurance people themselves. If there is a Bumper to Bumper Zero Dep policy, then that would be of great help too.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th September 2016 at 19:17.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 20:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Posting this on a friends behalf who is not a member here and asked me to do so.

My car, Skoda superb(UP80-CL-9212) was sent to Skoda Authorized Workshop (Shiel Ventures Pvt.Ltd.Agra) for repairs on 24/7/2016.

The expected delivery date was 29/07/16 as per the Workshop Job Card. The car was not delivered till 1/9/2016. Finally on 1/9/2016 I got a call from the workshop that my car is extensively damaged.

The Wall and Pillar of the Workshop collapsed on 1/9/2016 and fell on my car damaging the car extensively and ‘beyond repairs’.

OUCH!! I'm honestly lost for words here. This is an all new level even for Skoda. First off, its an authorised workshop and this is their level of upkeep? or are they running on major budget cuts? the pillar and the wall collapsed! Honestly it would have shown signs of weakening and it definitely couldn't have given up overnight. Secondly what work did the car actually visit the A.S.S for? and why was it held for a month over its delivery date? Is it possible that the wall actually collapse before the 1st? and were skoda deliberately dithering about as to when they should inform the owner? Thirdly, its gross negligence on the dealers part, though skoda has some say in the situation as it is an A.S.S. Your Friend has a solid case here provided there is proper documentation of the service job card and multiple photos. I feel really bad for your friend and its really sad to see such a great car in such a state. There are certain things that are acceptable, some unacceptable and then there's this

Congratulations Skoda! You've just one-upped yourself!

Hope a solution is reached soon!(Who am i kidding, this is Skoda of all people. They're going to take their own sweet time )

Do keep us posted !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
First a Jetta stolen from workshop a few days ago, and now this - What is going on with VAG group?

Do keep us updated on the developments.

Say what now? A Jetta stolen from the workshop? Do you have more details on this incident? Come on VAG, pull your socks up and get in gear!
One:1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 11:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im not sure how any direct liability per se for this can be attached to Skoda India - if at all, it can only be construed as by extension because this was an Authorised Service Garage.

The actual liability would more likely rest with the Dealer himself, who ought to be insured against such "Acts of God" - he may even have some back to back insurance arrangement with his landlord in case he doesn't own the place himself. (Like a Renters Insurance) but I would think this is extremely unlikely indeed.

Ultimately, I think it is more of the dealer's liability/ responsibility and I believe if one consults a lawyer, one is likely to receive a similar opinion.
I have a similar opinion. I too feel that Skoda cannot be directly blamed in this, though they are surely party to this because they should inspected the facilities the dealer is providing including the construction. Even in a legal standpoint, I am not sure how much liability Skoda will have. However, they can surely pressurise the dealer to pay your friend adequate compensation or provide a new car and that is where they would be seen to be customer friendly.

This is somewhat similar to what happened to a customer's Ford ES which met with an accident while the service executive was bringing it back from service and Ford gave the customer 3 options to choose from (thread link here (Bangalore: Lathangi Ford crashes customer EcoSport; 1.6 Lakhs of damage. UPDATE: Resolved by Ford!)). While (I assume) Ford did not have any liability there too, but better customer service is what made Ford step in an put a smile on the customers face.
centaur is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 11:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Would the company not be responsible for setting up the service centers in the right manner? Will they not inspect the place and give a go ahead with the place before signing the contracts?

If they it approved this place and they have equal blame as the dealer. Both should come forward and replace the car.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 11:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

While Skoda India must have approved the Dealer I m not sure that even by extension they can be held liable for this mishap.
For example, if a Skoda or any Dealer premises had got ruined in a flash flood for example, then whose liability would it be, to look after customers cars which were parked there at the time for service.

What Im saying is that this is a freak accident caused by poor construction or weak construction probably. And we don't know the reasons for that.
Nor do we know if indeed this is the dealer's premises or some parking space that the dealer has been using.
To get the Car Manufacturer to own up for this, to me, is a bit of a long shot. They may choose to be nice and do something for the consumer out of goodwill and perhaps some kind of moral responsibility sense, but strictly legally speaking, it would be a very tenuous connection to have to make; if one wanted to lay the blame on Skoda for this unfortunate occurrence. I'd still advocate taking this up with the Insurance guys and I hope that the car under consideration was covered under Zero Dep as well, because these are the finer points that may count in the end.

In tandem, I think that the customer should initiate discussions and if required, claim proceedings against the dealer/ workshop for loss of property which is in their care. That must be covered by the dealer's fidelity insurance and other risk insurance including acts of God.

Even in the case of that Ford dealer, where the driver was clearly at fault, it is the dealer's responsibility to look after the customer's interests. The fact that the Company (Ford) came forward to help delight the consumer is definitely commendable. Typically the Company would only give some sort of cost protection to the dealer and that too, only if the dealer is so critically important to them. Else, quite honestly, it is hard to make them accept that it is their liability at all.

In this case, I suggest the following steps:
1. Clear written records of all transactions pertaining to the servicing of this vehicle
2. Ascertaining whether this is indeed the dealers premises or some external parking space that they are using.
3. Initiate talks with the dealer about the damage and what they are going to do about it. Keep a written record of all these discussions as proof.
4. Invoke the help of the higher ups at Skoda to apprise them of the situation - (for what it is worth, I ve already shared this info with some people whom I know at Skoda in the hope that the poor customer gets some help and support. I don't want any brownies from anyone for any of this - I just want to try and help in some small way if possible as a fellow Skoda car owner. But any help that may be forthcoming, is always subject to the issue being an honest one.)
5. Talk to the insurance people - both the dealer's Insurance guys and the actual car insurance people to see what a solution can be.
6. If all this fails, then initiate some kind of legal recourse against the dealer, on account of negligence or perceptible lack of care etc...

But let the whole world (including our esteemed members on this forum), please not just casually jump the gun and continually spread rage and hatred at the car manufacturer, because in this case, it is not the right thing to do.

One thing I am not comfortable with is this tendency we generally have, to just blame and rant at some car manufacturer when the actual fault may lie elsewhere. Till we are sure, let us not condemn.

On the other hand, there are so many cars which must have got flood damaged in Mumbai in 2005 and in Chennai in 2015. Many of those cars may have been at the dealerships or workshops undergoing routine service. And for no fault of the customer's, their cars have been destroyed. There must surely by now, be a precedent in the annals of Insurance claims, to handle situations of this kind. This is why I suggested the above steps/course of action set out.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th September 2016 at 11:46.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 11:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Would the company not be responsible for setting up the service centers in the right manner? Will they not inspect the place and give a go ahead with the place before signing the contracts?

If they it approved this place and they have equal blame as the dealer. Both should come forward and replace the car.
I think that companies inspect the facilities with a dealer before approving but how many any manufacturer ever ascertain the construction quality? That is not possible right? At the time of the incident, the car in the care of the dealer and its the dealer who I completely responsible and the dealer in turn has to get the money out of the construction contractor, assuming the place and construction belongs to the dealer. Like mentioned in Shankar's post, if Skoda wishes to do something out of goodwill or a moral responsibility, then its a different story altogether but given the reputation Skoda has, I really doubt that would happen
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 12:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Even if inspected properly, such mishaps can occur due to natural calamities (flooding, earthquakes, etc). Skoda (or any other OEM cannot be sure how well built each of the building structure is. Even the dealer cannot be sure if he/she is operating out of a rented/leased property. They (the dealer) can take an insurance to cover for all such mishaps or else, pay for such damages as and when required. The OEM shouldn't be blamed here or asked to cough up a new car as they are not at fault in any way. At the same time, they can be requested to pressurize the dealer to act quickly and honestly.

We have a tendency to blame the Company in many such instances where the dealer/3rd party is at fault. Even I have done so in the past. But the fact is the OEM can ensure the quality of equipment, training of service personnel, service efficiency, service ambiance etc. Everything else, starting from the attitude of dealer and service personnel, service quality, mal-practices such inflating the bills; to incidents like the one of Ford Ecosport and Jetta, cannot be controlled/monitored by the OEM very easily. Customer feedback trend is catching up and it can help prevent (only) some of the above. Another way out is Mystery Shopping.

Note: I have been a Maruti customer since past 5 years. I have had good experiences at MASS and had equally horrible experience at Nexa. Whom should I blame? I blame/thank the particular people involved in each of those instances.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 13:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Even if inspected properly, such mishaps can occur due to natural calamities (flooding, earthquakes, etc).
Was there any such natural calamity in the area? Or was this simply shoddy or extremely old construction that collapsed?

If this was shoddy construction it cannot be termed "act of god" and force majeure clauses if any can't be invoked to deny compensation.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 13:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

There were some tremors in NCR region over this last weekend. I don't remember about September 1.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 13:49   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Superb total loss: Roof collapse at dealer's yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
This is an all new level even for Skoda.
Take a chill pill, man. I'm not a fan of Skoda's dealers or the company's poor customer service, but this could happen at any brand's dealership.

Skoda is not liable for this damage, nor are they to blame.

However, what I absolutely detest is the company's apathy toward its customers. See the below line:

Quote:
MODS - please consider as he wants Skoda to respond which they are not doing so at the moment.
This is a desperate plea. WHY ON EARTH IS SKODA NOT RESPONDING? This poor chap has lost his luxury car and the least that Skoda can do is offer him a ear, maintain an open dialogue and pressurise the dealer to speed up insurance formalities so that the car owner is given $$$ (based on the market value of this car)...or a replacement of the same vintage.

They simply lack business sense. If it was me, I'd have made a call to the customer the same day and told him "look, your car is worth 10 lakhs....lets take that money, I'll throw in another 5 lakhs and have you driving in a new Superb diesel". Numbers are assumed and the customer would have to pay the difference.

They'd have won over a customer for life.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 13:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Superb Damaged beyond repair due to Roof collapse at dealers yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
We have a tendency to blame the Company in many such instances where the dealer/3rd party is at fault.

Everything else, starting from the attitude of dealer and service personnel, service quality, mal-practices such inflating the bills; to incidents like the one of Ford Ecosport and Jetta, cannot be controlled/monitored by the OEM very easily.
When people demand action from Skoda, they do understand the difference between Skoda India and the dealer, which are separate legal, financial and corporate entities.

What people are pointing out is that the dealer is the face of Skoda, and are the ones who connect with the customer. And it is in Skoda's own best interests to ensure that customers feel satisfied and well treated by their dealers. Bad dealers can kill a brand. And reputation is the lifeline of any automotive company (just ask Ford, Fiat, Chevy. Heck, ask Skoda themselves).

Skoda themselves state on their website (emphasis mine):
Quote:
ŠKODA Service Promise ensures more commitment from us to be available to assist you whenever you want and address each and every concern of yours. We are now paying attention to every little aspect of our service that will delight you, and make our relationship better than ever.
And they provide the following escalation matrix for servicing:
Quote:
If you have a concern or you are not satisfied with the service that you receive from your dealer, we suggest you to please discuss it with the service manager at your dealership.

If it is not resolved through your dealership, you may call on the Toll free Helpline No. 1800 209 4646 or write to ŠKODA customer care.
We're just asking the parent company to step in during such an exceptional case to ensure a meaningful and speedy resolution is reached.
  • Any well set up business will have insurance cover for such perils. When handing out the 'authorized dealer' tag, every parent company will perform due diligence. Skoda has to ensure the dealer uses that business insurance instead of giving the customer a hard time.
  • If the dealer isn't covered by insurance (either didn't have a proper policy, or the correct covers, or parked the car in a temporary place which is not part of their business), then Skoda has to step in and settle the issue using the deposit the dealer would have given Skoda at the start of the contract.

There are still unanswered questions to this story that are pending a response from the original poster:
  1. When was the car purchased, and how much has it run? To determine if the demand for a new replacement is warranted and reasonable.
  2. Is his friend's car the only one affected, or were there others also damaged? Given the extent of damage, it would be a surprise if only one car was damaged. More people involved implies its easier to pressure the dealer/company
  3. Could he also give a bit of detail as to why there was a delay of over a month from the committed delivery date? For better context
  4. Was he given a loaner car in the interim? For better context
  5. Is that the actual service center? If its a temporary structure, or adjoining empty plot, highly unlikely the dealer has it covered under his insurance

Last edited by arunphilip : 13th September 2016 at 14:09. Reason: Added quotes from Skoda website
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 14:09   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Superb total loss: Roof collapse at dealer's yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

Assuming that all the details provided here are fair, then my advice is: Given that this is Skoda, and given Skoda's history in terms of customer (dis)satisfaction, I'd suggest that your friend contact a lawyer to initiate legal proceedings, instead of waiting for social media channels and customer care dealings. If Skoda or the dealer come back with a suitable compromise, then the legal stuff can be halted, stating that a compromise has been arrived at.

well suggested, no point in waiting for social media to turn things around, instead proceed proactively by sending a notice to the dealer with a cc to Skoda, & thereafter proceed with a legal notice with dealer as the offender & Skoda as a party.
They will try to wash their hands off this thing on some pretext of the other, but don't get cowed down, keep the paper trail up & soon you'll have enough fodder to nail both of them down.
And yes get your lawyer to work up damages on all accounts
mental agony
financial agony
loss of opportunity
legal charges
etc
gurthvader is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote