Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 22nd October 2016, 09:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Smoke & oil from tailpipe after Nexa showroom test-drives my Verna

Hi OP, I understand that it is so saddening to see someone driving your seemingly perfect car and come back with a visibly damaged one. I'm really sorry to say but, I dont think the failure to the car is caused by the test drive.

What has happened is that the turbo bush is gone, and oil is flowing through the intake and exhaust. I would recommend you to stop driving the car immediately, to prevent an ENGINE DAMAGE, due to oil deprivation.

The above damage cannot be caused by a person, unless he goes on and changes the turbo with a damaged turbo in 15 mins which is highly unlikely.
dhanushs is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 09:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post

Edit: I got a mail from the dealership, and have responded to them.
Attachment 1568952
Frightful.
Basically NEVER let these guys touch your car without you sitting next to them.
Who knows how they treat it when they are on their own?

Seriously, we need much stronger consumer recourse avenues to deal with this type of nonsense.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd October 2016 at 09:15. Reason: Please check your PM
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:01   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Sad to hear what happened. I have shared the story. That's why I always say 'if you want to test drive my car, I will ride with you. It is still MY car.'
Hope you get compensated.
Thanks a lot for sharing the story sir. I too really hope that I get a fair resolution since being without a car in the festive season adds to my list of woes.

Lesson (albeit an expensive one) learnt. The guys certainly did fit your description with unkempt stubbles and gruff attitudes all around. Someone suggested that they might not even be Nexa employees. Wouldn't be surprised to know if that turns out to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi OP, I understand that it is so saddening to see someone driving your seemingly perfect car and come back with a visibly damaged one. I'm really sorry to say but, I dont think the failure to the car is caused by the test drive.

What has happened is that the turbo bush is gone, and oil is flowing through the intake and exhaust. I would recommend you to stop driving the car immediately, to prevent an ENGINE DAMAGE, due to oil deprivation.

The above damage cannot be caused by a person, unless he goes on and changes the turbo with a damaged turbo in 15 mins which is highly unlikely.
Absolutely not insinuating a turbo change. However would ANY sensible person knowing well that the car has those sort of miles on it, push it relentlessly? I live in Gurgaon and get enough opportunities to push the car, and not ONCE have I faced an issue. I'm hard pressed to believe that a car driving perfectly would basically self-destruct with one or two pedal to metal pushes. I am absolutely convinced however, that it was pushed consistently and relentlessly in lower gears for the entire time it was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
15 minutes of hard test drive and the turbo fails? More than Nexa, I believe it should be Hyundai who needs to be worried about bad press. Good for them that the car is already old.

Like a few have pointed before, I find it really difficult to believe that just 15 mins of high speed revving and sudden shut down caused a perfectly good Turbo to conk. Maybe the Turbo was already towards the end of its life. You will be hard pressed to prove it in a court of law that such catastrophic failure occurred solely due to Nexa's fault. More so that you did not choose to join them for the test drive. I don't mean to doubt your version, just that I feel it won't hold good legally.
Sir, I took a perfectly functional car to the dealership, and got back one that cannot be driven. These guys are "expert" auto evaluators right?
Let me put this to you like this. If you had to drive a machine with that much of mileage on it, would you not exercise a fair bit of caution? Especially in the light of many members here telling me "maybe the turbo was at its fag end (which I don't agree with, but for the sake of discussion will let fly)". Wouldn't a car "expert" be aware of such a possibility?
I'm a little sad to see comments here almost justifying what happened.
As an intelligent life form, I would without exception, test an older car differently, than I would a new one.''

Note from Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd October 2016 at 11:08. Reason: Note Inline
himalyan_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:09   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Frightful.
Basically NEVER let these guys touch your car without you sitting next to them.
Who knows how they treat it when they are on their own?

Seriously, we need much stronger consumer recourse avenues to deal with this type of nonsense.
Do you care to find out what these guys are paid as salary? Or what strata of society they come from? Do you want those who test drive your car to be a BE MBA polished middle class worker getting paid 50K per month? Reeks of elitism, if you ask me.

Quote:
Sir, I took a perfectly functional car to the dealership, and got back one that cannot be driven. These guys are "expert" auto evaluators right?
Let me put this to you like this. If you had to drive a machine with that much of mileage on it, would you not exercise a fair bit of caution? Especially in the light of many members here telling me "maybe the turbo was at its fag end (which I don't agree with, but for the sake of discussion will let fly)". Wouldn't a car "expert" be aware of such a possibility?
As an intelligent life form, I would without exception, test an older car differently, than I would a new one.''
Going by your own logic, why would anyone who wants to buy a car, be it an individual or a dealer not test out your car with due rigor? I certainly would have.

Obviously one is buying the car with an expectation that it will run some more, is not being bought for scrap right? I suspect even if you were buying your own car you would test it rigorously to make sure its in good order.

The fact that you drove away from the NEXA dealership despite being told by the expert that the turbo didnt sound good, warned you of failure & you even heard the loud whistling noise yourself is another huge mistake on your part after not joining him for the test. Why would you do that instead of erring on the side of caution & getting a mechanic to examine the car right then & there?

I hope Nexa has learnt its lesson & always insists the customer accompany on such tests.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th October 2016 at 12:36. Reason: Quoted post edited, hence updating the quoted post in your reply.
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Probably OT, but I remember reading in an old thread on buying a used car, that the owner would not want the car to be driven roughly by a prospective buyer.

I believe when as a prospective buyer trying a new car or a used car, one must inform the existing owner exactly how he is going to test the car, so the owner knows beforehand what to expect, and in case he doesn't agree with the testing process, things can be sorted out before the drive.

And I also think our car industry has to mature a lot before a test drive person tells you exactly how he is going to test drive your car and makes you real comfortable about it. It does not require MBA, but a love of cars and a love of customers.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,
I don't think anyone here justified what happened. Definitely not me. Yes, what I do feel is that your arguments 'may' not hold well legally. Again this is based on what I read here from your own accounts. Also, I already mentioned that I dont doubt your version, I just meant to say that I do not 'think' that 15 mins of hard driving will cause a perfectly good turbo to conk off.

Yes, they should have been more careful and also did you need to go along with them on the test drive, at least after they informed you of the impending turbo damage.

Quote:

Let me put it this way, if I had to give my car for evaluation, I would make sure I join him. Anyways let me stop here lest you would again think I am putting the blame on you.

That said, hope you can settle the issue amicably with Nexa.

Last edited by vibbs : 22nd October 2016 at 11:37.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

One thing I can surely tell is that when you give your car for evaluation to Maruti True Value guys, they drive it ruthlessly, revive all the way to red line, burnout the clutch to check slippage, bang the doors again and again to check any possible accidental case, spin your car as if they are participating in a car rally
The same was done when I gave my WagonR for evaluation in April while checkIng out Brezza. I cancelled the booking plans, gave a good piece of mind to the idiots evaluating my car and decided to keep my car with me instead of selling it.
bluevolt is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:36   #23
BHPian

Well I have a similar story to share, I was looking to upgrade from Swift Dzire VDi and called Maruti Suzuki rep to come and evaluate the car.

Next day he comes home with a true value evaluator, that chap first inspects the car from outside and inside, all good. Then fire up the engine and without any wait jumps on to the accelerator pedal going crazy, I shout at him literally and asked him to get off the seat right away. He brings in the same point that he was trying to check the turbo noise. I ask him to wait and check other things and let engine run around for some while, after 5 minutes or more I sat down and pushed the RPMs slowly, and asked him to check whatever he wants to. All good, everything working fine, no problems what so ever. Got the maximum possible quote for my car from them.

It's fair enough to evaluate the car before buying, but under no circumstances will I ever let anyone abuse my car, period.

I am very sure the nexa evaluator must have bombed up the RPMs to maximum causing an old turbo to fail. He has to be experienced enough to understand what he is doing. High revving and sudden increase in the RPM must have destroyed the turbo, would I do that while evaluating some ones car, NO. It doesn't matter if the turbo was going to fail, if it was old, or whatever, what matters is that it was working fine and he messed it up so Nexa must get it fixed. I completely agree with himalayn_ice.

Last edited by wrongturn : 22nd October 2016 at 12:39.
wrongturn is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Sir,
... at least after they informed you of the impending turbo damage.
=
They did not inform me of the impending turbo issues prior to taking the test drive. Only after the guy came back with it already bust.
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:01   #25
BHPian

Sad to hear what happened. My experience with NEXA has been good so for. I exchanged my 7yrs old Wagon R for a S-Cross.

I was really finding it hard to sell of my old car in Delhi/NCR. Since my car was Mumbai registered I was denied evaluation by most of the dealers I visited, while some offered me a very low price.

On one fine evening I just happened to visit the NEXA showroom in Rajouri Garden(New Delhi) after checking out the Ford Figo. I would have booked the Figo the same day if Ford had offered me a good price for my old car. Walked into NEXA showroom and gave the key to the SA to get our Old car evaluated. Within 10 mins I had a quote of 1.2L which was double than what ford offered and regular MSIL(not NEXA) offered.

It was only at the NEXA dealership where someone took a test drive of our old Car, the rest of the dealers just checked for dents, AC, engine bay, odometer etc. At all dealership we were told that since your car is not DL/NCR registered you will get a very low resale value. Some(VW, Honda) suggested me to transport the car to Mumbai, sell it over there and then buy a new car from them.

My car had a broken rear bumper, broken hatch lock and big dent on the front bumper. At NEXA they took a test drive and I was told that the car is mechanically good even after clocking 1.4L kms.

I went back the next day and handed over our Old car to the dealer. The person who evaluated is a dealer employee and is always at the dealership. He kept in touch with us till he transported and sold the car in Mumbai.

I am a happy NEXA customer. Please do let me know if you still interested in buying a NEXA product, I can share the contact details of my SA.

Last edited by sinharishi : 22nd October 2016 at 13:07.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:02   #26
BHPian

The fact that you didn't go with the guy for a test drive is big mistake you did which you agree. But first go to Hyundai and ask them to check exactly what and how it happened and why did the car smoke after turbo failure. Why didn't it go in limp mode as a car is drivable even if turbo fails. 15 minutes of redlining won't kill your turbo or any other component that easily plus Hyundai engines are very robust.

After you get to know what exactly happened from your trusted service centre, it will be easier for you to rectify who was at fault and you will have a strong side for yourself to argue on.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:17   #27
BHPian

Car dealerships & building contractors, these are two groups of people I've presonally seen are very shrewd & many among them are borderline criminals. This is the reason that automakers must & should ensure tight control over dealership actions. In that sense, there is a tiny hope since its Maruti, because to be honest, your legal stand isn't strong enough.

I wouldn't consider you getting a call as equivalent to getting any compensation for the damage done by these 2 shady characters. I hope car companies black-mark their names & ensure they're well in supervised conditions. Do keep us updated as to what happened.

All the more reason of getting a Car DVR / Dashcam.
GrammarNazi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:21   #28
BHPian

One valuable reader on my blog rightly asked for the details of the dealer, so here they are:

T R Sawhney Automobiles Pvt. Ltd.
Sector - 53, Golf Course Road,
Gurgaon - 122001
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:21   #29
BHPian

Legally speaking, the arguments may not stand .

How can someone knock of a turbo in 15 minutes , unless it was something that was prone to failure and it failed due to the hard driving by the evaluator.

they may have tested the vehicle to its extremes to figure out , how well the vehicle behaved and this particular component gave away .

I suggest you get into an agreement with Nexa to atleast go for a part payment.
sandeep3in is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Please do let me know if you still interested in buying a NEXA product, I can share the contact details of my SA.
Quote:
One valuable reader on my blog rightly asked for the details of the dealer, so here they are:

T R Sawhney Automobiles Pvt. Ltd.
Sector - 53, Golf Course Road,
Gurgaon - 122001
Even I am buying the car from the same dealer! TR Sawhney-Rajouri Garden, New Delhi.
sinharishi is offline   Reply With Quote