Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 26th October 2016, 15:56   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Smoke & oil from tailpipe after Nexa showroom test-drives my Verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalyan_ice View Post
I will here on refrain from posting on this thread till the spit & shake.
A wise decision, any day. to post only value adds.

But to explain, just once, for a general clarification, your unfortunate incident was just another statistic I used, to point at the possibility of something very different in the second half of my post. I have nothing for or against you. I particularly have no special liking for the national brand either. Neither for the second national brand.

There have been far too many cases now, where, in the positive sense, informed support has been gathered and used against "initially very defensive" car dealers and their mal-practice (and/or deficient service in various forms) national or multinational. The Skoda case, Ford Ecosport cases, Rexton, Fiat, Mahindra, probably few Maruti cases as well.

A simple example again : What if a "My Gangstas 500BHP power-bump" brag on any forum, is followed by the brand and used against the Gangsta owner after some unfortunate incident? Or similar such. I am just worried of these possible backfires!

Are you suggesting, I may not put this "hunch" on a forum? Or may I?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 26th October 2016 at 16:02.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 12:33   #107
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Smile Re: Smoke & oil from tailpipe after Nexa showroom test-drives my Verna

I have finalised the paperwork with the dealership, and I believe the thread is closed. If not, request the mods to close it.
Thank you!
himalyan_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 13:38   #108
BHPian

Quote:
I have finalised the paperwork with the dealership, and I believe the thread is closed. If not, request the mods to close it.
Thank you!

Congratulations for an amicable solution. Just curious for one thing, since you're planning to take Brezza, how much waiting have you been told by the dealership?
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 21:27   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for the discussion sake, atleast tell what was the issue afterall with your car? You might be under a non disclosure agreement but that would be covering the numbers involved. Does it also stop you from sharing the final diagnosis? Or are you suggesting that Nexa dealer just offered you a price blindly without even trying to find out what went wrong with your car during the TD?

Lastly I still didn't understand what exactly did you achieve out of the whole thread and all the initial claims of claiming compensation from Nexa? As far as I understood from your post, your car's value was X and Nexa paid you X minus the amount to fix your ride ( they might have offered to bear a part of the repair cost).

Honestly I am just confused as to what exactly has happened here.
drmohitg is online now   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 22:06   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!
Stinks of non-disclosure agreement.

I know: in the circumstances it would be hard to refuse a decent deal that included one, but I still find it an unpleasant tactic. The dealers should note that it also increases suspicion, rightly or wrongly, about what they did, so it may not be as great for their publicity as they think.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 23:25   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is not a trouble ticket with the tech support. There is no reason to close it. Members may continue to discuss the incident and even bring it up whenever similar issue occurs at Nexa dealerships.
Samurai is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:13   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. The car has not been taken anywhere and stands exactly where it did, on the day I drove back from the incident.
Most importantly:

If the car has not been touched, "stands exactly where it did" from when it was driven back home in it's (then) prevalent condition, and "hasn't been taken anywhere" to get the full diagnosis of what the exact problem is (or was) with the Verna, did Mr Sawhney and the Nexa dealership bigwigs take the OP's word blindly for whatever reason(s) he provided, and both parties came to a mutual agreement based on just that hearsay? (and this thread in T-BHP, but of course!)

I could list N number of reasons if I had such a chance, so that I can assert the maximum pressure on the dealership and got myself the maximum value out of the whole ordeal.

Quote:
1. We put our point forth that the car was in the custody of the dealership when it went kaput.
I would be a really worried man if I was Mr Sawhney's employer, if Mr Sawhney hasn't (or hadn't, in this case) taken any concrete steps to gain full knowledge of exactly what "kaput" means, before signing on the dotted line and committing himself to his "justifiably amicable and mutually beneficial" solution.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd November 2016 at 00:19. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:06   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Members may continue to discuss the incident and even bring it up whenever similar issue occurs at Nexa dealerships.
The following incident happened to me although not in Nexa, when I sold my 8 year old, 32000 Km run Swift-Petrol through Olx.

After I posted the advertisement, I started getting calls and a guy in his early 20's came, test drove it and said he was looking for a car for his cousin. The next day, he said they liked it and asked me when they can close the deal. I told them I needed about 2 weeks as I had not finalised my next car. They too agreed.

In the next week they paid almost the entire amount except for a balance of Rs. 20K. A day before they agreed to pay the balance, they asked my permission to take the vehicle for doing Pooja, since that being some auspicious day. I agreed too.

When they came to return the car, they asked me whether there was any problem with the Gear box and asked me to 'confess' even if there was really any problem with the gear box!. I said no and went to check the vehicle fearing they may have caused something wrong to the vehicle. I found the bonnet was smelling 'asbestos' and gear was stuck in 3rd gear and cannot be slotted in any other gear. They said they had real difficulty to climb the flyover in bumper to bumper traffic, making them to revv and ride the clutch. Apart from this the car also had a new visible scratch on the body, which they said happened during parking somewhere, making my BP go higher!. It was around 9PM then, I wanted to check if there was any other issue with the car, so we agreed to meet in the early morning next day.

The next day morning, I checked the car again. After they came we took the car to the nearest MASS and asked the SA to identify the issue. Soon it was addressed to some broken clip in gear shift mechanism. Think Maruti charged around Rs. 500 for replacing the same. All of us were happy that there was no serious issue with the car.

I think in my case, I guess the Clip may have been in 'about to fail' condition, although we don't know; when some new raw hands touched it, it failed.
batman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:17   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is not a trouble ticket with the tech support. There is no reason to close it. Members may continue to discuss the incident and even bring it up whenever similar issue occurs at Nexa dealerships.
Yes. N00b here. Thought it was protocol after reading some posts suggesting the course of action.

himalyan_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 10:57   #115

An unfortunate fact today is that thanks to such auto blogs, and armchair journalism, people write off dealerships without taking an unbiased look at the situation. Customers end up demanding the moon and more. This case for instance, legally speaking, the dealership is in no obligation to bear the costs of the repair, as it was a mechanical damage of the turbo. Now whether it was caused over years of abuse or because of that one test drive by the evaluators is anybody's guess and is not upto us to decide, because, lets face it NONE OF US SAW THAT CAR! Maybe it was just a case of bad timing?
However, the customer choose to make a big deal about it because he could. Could the same have been done if the car was returned in a similar condition by the valet?
Point is Maruti did settle eventually not because they had to but simply because they wanted to protect their goodwill. OP is lucky this didn't happen at a Fiat, Skoda, or VW showroom because nothing would have come off this. Maruti still retains my trust in them for this exact reason.
highonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 11:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Ah so Maruti has bought a new convert now.
I think it was unfortunate turn of events for the Maruti Nexa dealership - but they have a dedicated customer now, nonetheless (at slight loss of upfront margin).
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 12:32   #117
BHPian

Angry Re: Smoke & oil from tailpipe after Nexa showroom test-drives my Verna

Lord! If you guys knew how much I've gotten for my old car, none of you would've been "Oh the poor dealership" and such.
But a word is a word and I can not in that case disclose figures.

Also, I still don't know what exactly went wrong with the old car, and I'm not sure if I'll ever do.

Saying this again. I went in for a "workable-for-all" solution based approach cuz I didn't have the time and/or the energy/knowhow to get the car sorted if an easier way out was available. Albeit at a higher price. Plus the customer handling by the CEO of the company was done really well.
The car was functioning perfectly. It COULD have gone bust tomorrow. It COULD have lasted some more thousands. That's all conjecture.
Did I use social media to get to an as favourable solution as possible? Yes. Would you use it as well in such a scenario? Bet my last dollar on it.
I feel sorry for a LOT of people who have served me brickbats / thrown suspicion on my intent. Not because doubt is a bad thing. No. But because your bar of acceptable service standards is set SO LOW that big corporations continue to get away with nonsense in India that that wouldn't DREAM of pulling off abroad.

No wonder people prosper even though the customer is treated like shit. Also, I've seen this behaviour more prevalent in the north of our country. But my local stationery guy would send his chap to another store if a particular pen wasn't available at his shop, and sell it to me at minimal / no profit, just to retain a customer. Moved to Delhi and went shopping for an air-conditioner. The shopkeepers were dismissive to the point of being insulting if I didn't like the variants available with them. Ask them where else can I look for options, and in a market FULL of electronics shops, pat comes the reply "Pataa Nahi / IDK".

Please treat yourselves and your rights with more respect. Also, try to treat another likewise, unless there exists reason without doubt that the chap is trying to pull off a smart one. For the corporations have billions of dollars at their disposals, but the common guy just has the voice of the collective to fall back upon.

This far, and no further.

Last edited by noopster : 8th November 2016 at 14:38. Reason: Unmasked a word- it's allowed :)
himalyan_ice is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 14:10   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I feel sorry for a LOT of people who have served me brickbats / thrown suspicion on my intent. Not because doubt is a bad thing. No. But because your bar of acceptable service standards is set SO LOW that big corporations continue to get away with nonsense in India that that wouldn't DREAM of pulling off abroad.

No wonder people prosper even though the customer is treated like s*it. Also, I've seen this behaviour more prevalent in the north of our country.

Please treat yourselves and your rights with more respect. Also, try to treat another likewise, unless there exists reason without doubt that the chap is trying to pull off a smart one. For the corporations have billions of dollars at their disposals, but the common guy just has the voice of the collective to fall back upon.

Most of the posts on this thread are questioning one thing, that is: can a TD of 15 mins destroy turbo (or whatever failed) of a car with 1L+ kms on ODO? A very, very valid doubt for, even a layman.

I don't understand how it correlates to setting the bar of acceptance at low level?!

Anyways, congratulations on your new car.
the_skyliner is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 14:11   #119
BHPian

I don't understand the fuss about dealership being "unjustly" pressurized in this case. Dealerships are business entities, they work for profits. If a dealership sell out a lemon car to some unsuspecting customer, we would say - buyers beware!! one should check out thoroughly the car before signing the dotted line, blah blah and blah

It is reasonable to assume that the OP had not planned it this way - that somehow I will take the car with an already blown out turbo and trick the dealership into a good deal on a new car.

It is also reasonable to assume that - if my car is with someone else, I would want it back as it is. Any damage will make me angry. Add to it the flat refusal to take the blame by the other person, it will make me feel betrayed and cheated beyond limits.

At the end of the day, any "normal" customer will always expect

1). respect and a keen ear to listen to their grievance
2). A decent and speedy solution to be able to arrive at a compromise and move on

Not many of us have the bandwidth/knowledge/contacts/experience/courage/money to keep fighting till the end. There is nothing wrong in settling out for a compromise.

Legally speaking, customer will lose in 9 out of 10 cases. Legally speaking, dealerships/auto companies would win the cases on one "clause" or the other (If need be, they would hire the best lawyers and would successfully win by even changing the interpretation of a customer friendly clause in front of the court).

Technically, a company/firm is a legal entity without a face. Perception/satisfaction of its customers IS the face of a company. Social media just put a price to that face; and an added responsibility/accountability to value the voice of customers
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 15:33   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Good advice- every consumer needs to stand up for himself, that's for sure. What I'm really amazed about is the change in language and tone of your posts as this thread as progressed. From accusing the Nexa dealership of sabotaging your car to agreeing (enthusiastically it seems) to buying your next new car from them is quite a dramatic turn of events. The dealership management need to be congratulated on winning your heart and thence your business. It's Marketing 101 that it costs 6-7 times more to acquire a customer than it does to retain one. These guys know their basics.

Were you wrong in assuming that a turbo can be wrecked in 15 minutes of spirited city driving? Perhaps. We will never know since there were no witnesses.

Were you wrong in starting this thread? Absolutely not! This is what the forum is here for. You learnt a few things in the bargain: never hand over your keys to an evaluator for a solo ride being top of the list. What's more, a bunch of forum readers did as well.

What would of course help even more is a full disclosure on your part in terms of what exactly the "agreement" you reached with the dealer was. Am reminded of the old joke where a guy is negotiating hard with a used car dealer. At first the dealer's salesman says, "I can offer it to you at $295, provided you tell everybody you know about Acme cars". By the end of the process, the dejected salesman tells him, "OK, I can offer you the car for $195, provided you tell NOBODY about Acme cars"

In any case, good luck with your new car and keep posting!
noopster is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote