Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 17th February 2017, 01:19   #1
BHPian

Default Mahindra Global Gallarie dealership shuts operations

From Thane (Mumbai)-

Global Gallarie Mahindra Showroom & Global Gallarie Mahindra Service Centre authorized sales & service dealers for Mahindra has closed down its operations.

As of Feb 13 2017, Global Gallarie Mahindra Showroom located at Ghodbunder Road Thane has been completely shut down

As per my Relationship Manager, All the contract staff at Service Centre has been laid off and rest have been given last date of March 2017

No new appointments are given at this point of time and only cars currently at Service Centre will be repaired and delivered to customers

It is speculated Global Gallarie Mahindra has been in financial crunch since Q4 of 2016

No official statement has been made by Mahindra & Mahindra regarding this.

Global Gallarie Mahindra Sales & Service caters to customers from quite a large geographic area which includes Thane, Kalyan, Dombivali, Bhiwandi

With ONLY authorized dealer in big city like Thane closing it will effect sales of Mahindra vehicles but moreover existing customers like me now have to drive out to service cars in different parts of Mumbai
viraj_s85 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 11:36   #2
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Global Gallarie dealership shuts operations

Yes even I am closely following up with them since my car is due for servicing. It seems their Mahindra showroom had shut down few weeks early and their Hyundai showroom almost a most before that though not sure what the real issue was. But I was told that Mahindra has withdrawn their support to the workshop as well and only paid services would be entertained. No warranty or free services would be catered. I believe this was being illegally done just to clear the spares they had stocked.

Having said this, I am pretty confident that there would be some new workshop or may be the same workshop being taken over by someone else. Number of cars getting serviced by this workshop was huge and Mahindra would be equally keen to get this issue addressed at the earliest.

And people like me whose car is due for service are trying to make up our mind whether to wait for sometime or look for an alternative workshop
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 11:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
Global Gallarie Mahindra Showroom & Global Gallarie Mahindra Service Centre authorized sales & service dealers for Mahindra has closed down its operations.
This is sad news. Their Ghodbunder road showroom was my pit stop/landmark to meet people whenever I drove to Bombay and was one of the easiest to spot.

Shocking to see such legacy, well established dealerships closing down.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 12:33   #4
BHPian

Ohh...this is a sad news to me. Back in 2005, when I had joined Mahindra as a trainee engineer, I was allotted to Global Gallarie Dealership. I went there for around 2-3 months to oversee their operations, service and whether they follow Mahindra laid SOPs. I had interacted with their service advisers, managers, GM and the owner himself.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 15:34   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mahindra Global Gallarie dealership shuts operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
It is speculated Global Gallarie Mahindra has been in financial crunch since Q4 of 2016
Looks highly unlikely as Mahindra has some volume sellers, and most of their products cost a million rupees or more.

Unless of course, this dealership wasn't managed properly and allowed costs to spiral out of control. Would put the blame on the dealer here, not Mahindra.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 17:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
I suspect some fraud here. If it was due to losses then it would have been a planned exit.
Rumours have been floating around for a while now in the industry. It's not as sudden as it looks to the general public.

Global Gallerie also runs a couple of VW dealerships. That would have also been a big drain on it's finances.

Most dealerships are mis-managed. Let's not take names but a lot of them have invested heavily in real estate and are paying a heavy price now.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 21:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looks highly unlikely as Mahindra has some volume sellers, and most of their products cost a million rupees or more.

Unless of course, this dealership wasn't managed properly and allowed costs to spiral out of control. Would put the blame on the dealer here, not Mahindra.
Not blaming Mahindra at all, i am VERY HAPPY Mahindra Customer

Dealer on other hand is different story -
Firstly Its public forum so cant post everything i hear without verifying it

My personal experience with dealership over last 3-4 years was excellent, staff and service was good

Like other mentioned this dealer also deals in VW & Hyundai however Mahindra was the oldest & most probably bread winner for them.

Chatter around the shop was funds were diverted within and it all blew up to a level where Mahindra decided not to supply them new vehicles to sale and then onwards what happened has multiple stories (Not sure what to believe)

I am sure Mahindra must be on lookout for new dealer or maybe existing dealers can take over the operations but biggest problem will be the staff which has been laid off.. You can get the tools from Mahindra but need good workers to keep customers happy.

Anyone thinking of quitting their jobs and plunge into business this could be good opportunity, cause from first hand experience their business was doing GOOD i mean really GOOD

Last edited by viraj_s85 : 17th February 2017 at 21:08. Reason: Typo
viraj_s85 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 15:28   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sharing this:

Quote:
Hey GTO,

Had a call from Mahindra asking if I was okay having somebody visit me for survey & feedback which I was fine with. So the representative dropped by at my office.

The conversation started mundanely enough, asking about performance of the vehicle, any problems, recommendations etc. The conversation got curious pretty quickly and some very pointed questions started coming out like "has the vehicle died while being driven" and such.

Meanwhile, as the conversation progressed, I was offered a free checkup and service (all labour paid for) and over the next few minutes, the representative became pretty insistent that I should take advantage of this, which I thought was weird. After some more minutes and me repeatedly asking if there was any serious issue and if there's a recall, the guy opened up a bit.

Apparently, Mahindra has had ethical issues with how Global Galleria conducted business (their Thane dealer, there's a thread about it being shutdown) and they are not sure if the service has been conducted in the right spirit. I was told about an incident where the dealership did a software update, but raised a 'first service request' with Mahindra.

That explained the insistence as I had all services done at Global. I was even asked if I had my extended warranty taken from Global Galleria!

For my troubles, I have a letter offering a free checkup and a box of cookies.

The experience was amusing to say the least. I do appreciate the fact that Mahindra is trying to do right to people it believes might be wronged by the dealership. On the other hand, experiences like this drive home the point that as a consumer, we need to be vigilant.
Mahindra Global Gallarie dealership shuts operations-img_0389.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote