Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 26th October 2017, 09:02   #391
BANNED

Default Re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

I have been servicing my cars at Tata dealerships for a decade now, and I am present for every servicing. So the dealership people know me, they allow me into the service area and I can chat with the service personnel when the work is in progress. Hence my car service is always a personalized affair, and never have I had a cause for complain.
I believe taking half a day out to get your cars serviced, once in 3/6 months is totally worth the peace of mind that your precious ride is looked after.
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 09:20   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Here is what I found on money control.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...h-2413539.html
Thanks Arjun. But this was already reported in Post #86 and #87 of this thread by BHPians audioholic and pnredkar.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 09:39   #393
BHPian

Guys, run far far away from any service station who asks you not to hang around. And make sure you take your car along and find someone who is accommodating. But please make sure their biz is not affected and do not try to chat up personnel without reason. Let them concentrate and do their job. Advaith Hyundai had no issues when I hung around during service, Aadya for Tata too seems to have no problem. I've even told them I'll be carrying my own oil.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 09:40   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I have been servicing my cars at Tata dealerships for a decade now, and I am present for every servicing. So the dealership people know me, they allow me into the service area and I can chat with the service personnel when the work is in progress. Hence my car service is always a personalized affair, and never have I had a cause for complain.
I believe taking half a day out to get your cars serviced, once in 3/6 months is totally worth the peace of mind that your precious ride is looked after.
But why should a car service be a "personalised affair"? Why should people look into what goes on during service and spend their time during the service? We do not enter an operation theatre when a surgery is performed and instruct the surgeons what to do. The surgeons should know better. Companies should realise that when people want to see service being done, it means that people do not have trust in them. Incidents like this will only add to the lack of trust people have on the service providers.

Where did all the work ethics go? Do people/companies not get enveloped with guilt feel when they are not providing the service in exchange for the money they have taken from another human being?
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 09:46   #395
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
But why should a car service be a "personalised affair"? Why should people look into what goes on during service and spend their time during the service? We do not enter an operation theatre when a surgery is performed and instruct the surgeons what to do. The surgeons should know better. Companies should realise that when people want to see service being done, it means that people do not have trust in them. Incidents like this will only add to the lack of trust people have on the service providers.

Where did all the work ethics go? Do people/companies not get enveloped with guilt feel when they are not providing the service in exchange for the money they have taken from another human being?

That is a utopian concept, sounds good in books and fairy tales. The idea of each person taking full responsibility for his/her work. If your ideas are to work, we don't need managers/supervisors/overseers of any sort in any field. Do you know the amount of goofups surgeons do in operating theaters? They are far from perfect, hence suing laws help keep them in line.
Your ideas will work in mature societies with strong personal ethics, like Japan for example, in India where in a person will trample over your head to get ahead, strict monitoring is the only way to go.
I am sure there are several professionals who take great pride in their work and who love to do their work right, but expecting a mechanic in a car workshop to ethically do his work right, is simply too naive.
apachelongbow is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 10:37   #396
BHPian

Quote:

+1
The problem here is to supervise the car service at ASC you need to have some technical knowledge about the car. Barring a few thousand people like we who are auto enthusiast I doubt how many have basic knowledge of automobile servicing. I have seen quite a lot of people who are even ignorant about the service schedule, who judge the service quality by cleanliness of the car at the time of delivery.

BTW the two Tata service centers in Kolkata that I had been never restricted me to go to the service area. In comparison the Maruti ASCs always try to prevent the customer to go the service area.
archat68 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 11:19   #397
BHPian

Quote:
True. ...How many will stop buying cars from MSIL? ... but is there any other option for the end users? .
What are the other options for car buyers? If not Maruti, which company? Is there any other car company who can say they don't do such things. As someone mentioned, it would be a great opportunity for other car companies to come forward and say "we will provide you the video of service done to your car" or provide live feed from service bay for customers to watch from the lounge...
I'm not supporting Maruti. Consumer protection laws have to become stronger in India.
JohnyBoy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 13:45   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I doubt how many have basic knowledge of automobile servicing. I have seen quite a lot of people who are even ignorant about the service schedule
Exactly, that is why service centers take people for a ride and a hike to boot. A whole plethora of people do not even know how to open a car tyre. I have seen them turning the ratchet / spanner in the opposite direction. What exactly will they do inside the service bay, just stare and be a nuisance. But yes, if someone wants to be inside - it should be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
In comparison the Maruti ASCs always try to prevent the customer to go the service area.
They will probably say: unsafe for people, breaks the concentration of workers. In reality : mask what was caught on tape.

I have been inside the service areas** [for small tasks, but rarely stay behind for the full service] and the cars are treated quite roughly, with a lot of physical banging at parts, when they can be opened in a more gentle manner. It hurts the heart to see this. It is how all technicians work in India. I have yet to see a gentle and light handed one. Be it a carpenter, painter, auto driver, or a car service person. All is rough and non-emphatic. It is quite sickening in the gut. There is no respect for others. None.
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 14:06   #399
BHPian

Quote:

Thought process of Maruti: The client has bought the car and we have got the major chunk of our profits already. People are continuing to buy our cars so such incidents will not really hamper our business. Thanks to the amazingly competent laws in India we can continue to do what we want – Buyer Beware!

Thought process of Mandovi service centre employees: Mandovi might be making profits by cutting corners but all we are getting is a monthly fixed salary. In fact if we innovate ways to cut corners and service more cars, we might be tagged as the employee of the month and we will see our photo put up on the reception notice board – Yahoo!

Thought process of end client availing “free” service: I have put in my hard earned money in this car and have also bought an extended warranty. The first few services are free so there is no point going to an FNG at this stage. I HAVE to go the authorised service centre later as well or else they will void my extended warranty citing random reasons if I go to a FNG.
praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 14:26   #400
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me for stupid question.

While we are discussing the pros and cos of staying back at the service center and monitoring the progress personally - why can't we rather focus on what the thread starter did - yes - Use a Camera!

Any inputs what kind of camera/dashcam is this and will it work when the engine is off ? Do the service personal know that the camera is in recording mode?
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 14:39   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

While we are discussing the pros and cos of staying back at the service center and monitoring the progress personally - why can't we rather focus on what the thread starter did - yes - Use a Camera!

Any inputs what kind of camera/dashcam is this and will it work when the engine is off ? Do the service personal know that the camera is in recording mode?
Most of the dashcam doesn't come with battery backup. Even if it is there, it will be for very few seconds or minutes only.

This incident has raised awareness among service guys as well, So I am sure they will be alert enough to turn off the dashcam or perform the service with the engine turned off.

For more information on dashcam, you can check below thread,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...vr-thread.html (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 14:41   #402
BHPian

Talking Re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

I would agree with the OP for Honda 2-wheeler A.S.S service, consistently bad - no matter which dealer. Though, I have to admit, the roadside mechanic is much, much worse.

Coming to Maruti, service has always been so-so. Sometimes you get a good advisor and if he is sincere, he will make sure that things are done properly.

My experience with Surakshaa-Bomanahalli, however, has been stellar! Everything done like clockwork and the service people have always been ready to oblige. Of course, I stayed to watch.

Like everything else, you cannot trust that others will do a good job for you - that happens only on Wheeler-Dealers!
mvadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 14:55   #403
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Most of the dashcam doesn't come with battery backup. Even if it is there, it will be for very few seconds or minutes only.

This incident has raised awareness among service guys as well, So I am sure they will be alert enough to turn off the dashcam or perform the service with the engine turned off.

For more information on dashcam, you can check below thread,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...vr-thread.html (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
Also, it is usually recommended to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before almost all services that involves moving parts of the car. So, once it is disconnected your dashcam is gone. Else they can simply put a piece of cloth over the dashcam *ignorantly*.
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 15:06   #404
BHPian

Smile Re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

Quote:

- why can't we rather focus on what the thread starter did - yes - Use a Camera!
There is another side to it as well. As in my case, the memory card was stolen from the car. And all they did in return was narrate the sentence "You need to take all valuables out while giving for service".

After much discussion, they gave me a free interior wash coupon for next service which in my opinion is just an eyewash.

I wonder how a memory card worth a couple thousands is valuable when we are giving them responsibility of a car worth few lakhs
Suryendu87 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 15:37   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Aren't they similar? A camera is actually a "proxy" for the person who wants to know what goes on in a service centre. In case of a camera, it can be disconnected, whereas a person may be asked not to "see" what goes on.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote