Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 24th January 2007, 21:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Issue with Honda City GX

A colleague of mine has got issue with noise of the engine in his NHC GX as it is very heavy like a diesel car. All of sudden this noise has developed & the vehicle has clocked under 10k kms.

The vehicle was left at the dealer place before 20 days. My friend was told that there is an issue with an engine part and accepted it to be a manufacturing defect. When my friend visited the dealership yesterday, he was shocked to see the engine was completely dismantled. Also few of the Honda engineers were present too to address this issue. My friend has raised his concerns on dismantling the engine without any notice.

Dealer says that everyproblem will be fixed at free of cost upon replacing few part of it. My friend wanted them to take back the car as it's a manufacturing defect

Next option, which was not shared with Sundaram, is to give it in writing assuring that further problem wont crop up on the work done.

It seems Honda engineers has agreed that they have this defect in few cars.

Please assist in correct way of proceeding with this issue
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 21:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dealer says that everyproblem will be fixed at free of cost upon replacing few part of it. My friend wanted them to take back the car as it's a manufacturing defect
Dont think any manufacturer will take back the whole car.

The best thing is actually to ask for a replacement of all the faulty equipment instead of getting them fixed since car is in warranty ,most probably this is a major problem or would not have escalated to the honda engineers.

It would also not be possible for your dealer to give in writing that the car would be free of problems in future but dont think you need to worry much after the replacments are done and the dealer and if possible honda engineers certify that all problems have been rectified.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 24th January 2007 at 21:34.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 09:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

If the manufacturer is willing to cure the defect, why should the car be rejected. If the faults are many, structural or recurring, only then may the car be rejected
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 09:20   #4
BHPian

I feel you can ask for a "Engine replacement" (not at dealer level- direct to Honda) rather than they replace one part, and while re-fixing, you wont get the perfection as they assemble at the plant. Honda engineers .. whoever it is.
chanapli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
while re-fixing, you wont get the perfection as they assemble at the plant.
Honda engineers .. whoever it is.
That's exactly my friends point. Replacement of engine with endorsement in the RC book is the best we can get I guess.
Old 6th February 2007, 12:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Still the car was not taken from the dealer's place. We have come down from "Engine replacement" request to extend the warranty for the engine to "5 yrs or 1,00,000 kms", whichever is earlier. Honda has agreed for only 3 yrs or 60,000 kms. Also Honda engineer insist that the faulty parts has been completely replaced and not repaired.Hence the engine is as good as new one, but the only difference here is engine was assembled in dealer's place and not in HONDA factory

I have few questions

1. At later point of time is it possible to make it out that engine was opened up for some repair or replacement work

2. One of my friend told me that factory fitment is free from dust, whereas at dealers place chances are there that dust will get settled, which might cause some issue's

will update the parts that has been replaced as soon as i get it
Old 6th February 2007, 16:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Honda will definitely give you a warranty on the work done and yes the engine work in the dealership is as good as the engine shops in the manufaturing plant. I do not think you can ask for an engine / car replacement here as they have assured that it is going to be trouble free.

You ought to get the normal warranty on the car being continued here as the engine was opened by the dealer as a manufacturing defect.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Have they specified what the problem was and which parts were replaced?

You'd want to know that to begin with.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 05:17   #9
BHPian

well being a honda u dont expect new engine to have such a problem ? plz ask them which parts were replaced and wat was the fault.
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 09:54   #10
BHPian

Dealers workshop these days are of the same equipment and experience levels that are present in the factory level, all parts replaced or dismantled are tightened with the torque specified by the company. There will be no difference in engine performance. If everybody doubts the dealer expertise, we will have to start sending the car to factory for replacements, any way you have been given enough reassurances
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 15:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats really bad. Some manafacturers knowingly let some faulty cars into the market and hope that owners dont notice it or notice it too late ( atleast the car is sold). If this happened abroad, such cars are immediatley recalled.

It is extremely wrong to take the engine apart without the basic courtesy of informing the owner
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 22:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your feedbacks guys. The problem was completely fixed and the noise was arrested

Atlast HONDA has agreed for a warranty for 4 yrs or 1,00,000/- whichever is earlier. And this was given in writing by Honda

We had several round of discussions with different people at Honda before we got to this point.
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Would you mind sharing what the hell was really wrong with the engine.
I own a City Gxi (2004) and would like to know.
Thanks.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote