Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 11th October 2004, 00:19   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Team-BHPian "Dovin" recently had a terrible experience in dealing with the Fiat authorised dealership "Fortpoint Auto" for his brand new Fiat Petra. They attempted to deliver him with a sub-standard car which had significant amounts of rust on it. This prompted me to do some solid research on good Fiat dealerships in Bombay.

1. Fortpoint stuck out like a sore thumb. Not a single person who has dealt with them for Fiats, Mitsubishi Lancers or Hero Hondas is happy. Service quality is literally the pits. Thumbs down.

2. Shaman Auto was a mixed bag with 3 out of 11 persons voting for it, and 8 against the entire experience. In evaluating Shaman, I chose not only the Fiat dealership but also the Ford one. Same management, same principles.

3. Anuroop Auto surprisingly seems to be the ONLY worthwhile Fiat dealership in Bombay, with an astounding 7 out of 8 owners I spoke to...in total recommendation mode. Anuroop customers were extremely happy with the post - cheque experience (every dealer will be nice to you before payment). The delivery experience was superb (probably product related to) but more than anything...the after-sales service had almost no complaints.

Team-BHPian "Amit" has the following to say about Anuroop Auto"
1. A week into purchase the car was taken to Anuroop for change of right head light due to moisture condensation. 15 mins is what they took to attend to me and make my job card and I got the car back after about 45-50mins.
2. First service at Angad. i was out job card in hand in 15 mins with promised delivery at 3.30pm. Got a call at 3pm asking me to take the car! Amount paid Rs. 0
3. Second service at Anuroop. had a 11am appointment. Had job card in hand and out of the center at 11.20am. promised delivery at 4pm. Got a call at 3.30pm asking me take the car! Amount paid Rs. 617.

His Fiat Palio S10 review can be found here

I couldnt find anyone who has dealt with Angad for a new car, so if some of you are familiar...please share the experiences.

Fiat products have unanimously received the seal of approval from Team-BHP. But their service support hasnt. This was still tolerable, but when a dealership tries to sell you a sub-standard car at a brand-new car price...its disheartening.

I strongly suggest Team-BHPians from Bombay to deal only with Anuroop Auto for purchase and service transactions of the Fiat Palio/Petra. Hopefully, Dovin was the last Team-BHPian to be at the receiving end of exploitation by scrupulous Fiat dealerships.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 00:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey.. a friend of mine had a same experience with her Fiat Siena Weekend. She went to Anuroop at Goregaon I think. Her Sienas door had rusted. They attended her car at the instance she dropped in and have given her a time to come on Monday to deliver the car for the appropriate treatment. Frankly..Anuroop is the only dealer FIAT owners are happy with. Way to Go Anuroop.

Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 01:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

This gives me an oppurtunity to share with you guys my expereince at the time of the Third service of my Palio done on September 3 - obviously at Anuroop.
*Firstly, the renovation being done at Anuroop since the last few months was finally over when i went there. I have a mixed bag of opinion on the renovation and new service reception expereince. To go to the reception you have to walk through the showroom - which is not the ideal way to go. There is a small door through which you enter up the staricase to the reception area. There are 3 rooms up there and a biggish hall. I found a totally useless kids play area on top. Totally useless - how many owners go for the service. Invariably it's the driver doing it. Anyway, the 3 rooms are parallel to each other. Go up the stairs and right in front is the reception. The staff sits behind tables and behind the staff is a huge glass area and you can actually look down into the service bay below - a really superb idea i must say. It shows transparency on the part of the dealer. How many dealers have the guts to be open about the area where the actual repair/service is done? Fiat announced that all their dealerships will have a similar look and this looking down into the service area is a great idea. A customer who obviously had come before me was even offered to sit over there and take a look at his car being repaired, if he wanted to. Now here is the problem. This room with a view to the service bay should actually have been the customer lounge so people could easily and comfortably sit and watch their cars being attended to. The customer wisely didn't opt for the offer- it can get really crowded if about 3 customers took up the offer!
By the way, in April, Fortpoint had a free roadside check up camp in Vashi and i availed of the offer. The guys there said there is a leakage from the silencer and all that needs to be done is a minor adjustment to solve the problem. I didn't feel there was any such problem so i didn't bother about it. Just to be sure I made this compliant at Anuroop. I had a 10.30 am appointment and it took about 10 mins for a person to attend to me. Apart from the suspected silencer leakage, only the regular third service had to be done. After the manual job card was made, I was at the reception to take the computerised job card. Right then, I saw my car being driven into the service area and up it went on the hydraulic lift. Even before the computerised sheet was printed, I was called by the engineer into the service bay to see for myself the underbody! This was awesome! I walked in and the engineer patiently explained and showed me the entire exhaust system. The car was started, revved slightly and as i suspected, there was no leakage at all. So this shows that Fortpoint had no idea what they were talking about! I was told i would be given a call when the car was ready. At 4.30 pm i was called to pick up the car. I paid Rs. 637 and was out at exactly 4.50pm. Another lovely expereince with Anuroop. So far I have spent the following amounts for the 3 free services:
1st Service at Angad ( because Anuroop was closed for 3 days for the wedding ceremony of the owners daughter)- amount spent Rs. 0.
2nd Service at Anuroop- amount spent Rs. 617.
3rd Service at Anuroop - amount spent Rs. 637.
Just to double check, I went thru Autocar's issue where they had listed prices of fast running spares. The prices were Delhi prices excluding local taxes and dealer profit margins if i am not wrong. The Palio's oil filter was listed at Rs. 75. Anuroop has charged me Rs. 84 for the same for both the services. Fair enough I say.
The car felt really great after the service. The idling felt much more smooth, thanks i guess to the fresh oil change. Best part is that the brakes also feel much more crisp and the spongy feel has almost disappeared. I don't know if it's because i am used to them by now or what. Maybe I will have to make a non-palio owner drive the car to tell me for sure.
So any fiat owners in Mumbai - Just don't look beyond Anuroop.
P.S. Angad is a 3 minute drive from my house and I go all the way to Anuroop to Goregaon to do the servicing.

amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 02:07   #4
BHPian

hey guys,
* * * * * * sorry to inform u, but ive been a regular to anuroop in getting my grandfathers palio 1.6 gtx serviced, and to be completely honest, i rather not talk about their service or customer service for that matter at all. I for sure would not recommend anuroop to anyone.
i have had too many problems with that dealership which I rather not list here. just a couple of examples, the radiator assembly for the car had been changed under warranty at about 12,000 kms......but at about 26-28,000 kms, it conked of again. and this time we had to pay on our own cos the car was out of warranty. secondly, when we bought the car or even at a later time, there was no one who even asked us for a warranty extension.....we are not stupid not to pay an extra 4-5k if it offers a year more of warranty when we buy a car worth 5 lacs plus. Car was stranded once at a distance of about 2 kms away from the serive centre - that too after the car had just come back from service a few hours back. it took them an hour and a half to reach me when they promised to reach me in 15 mins. the problem was the car was heating up too much, and i had got the car checkd from there about 4 times in a time period of 5 days, and they still couldnt figure out the problem. in the end they realised the radiator which they had replaced earlier was faulty, but they washed their hands out of it, cos it was outta warranty. And the service advisor i got most of the times was downright rude. i had to go right up to the top brass at the dealership, but all my complaints fell to deaf ears. finally after a lot of mess ups, i wrote to OD and ACI complaining about against Fiat and its service. ACI didnt do anything, cos it seems they help only subscribers for such problems which is downright stupid. OD was quick to respond, and within 2 days, someone from customer car fiat, Mr.Samresh Sinha got in touch with me. he said he couldnt help me with whatever had happened till now, but said he would try his best that it wouldnt happen again.
I havent driven the car in the last 3-4 months so i dunno what the scene with its service is right now, if i get any more info, ill surely update u guys on it.

And if all guys are voting for anuroop saying its the best of the lot, i dread the day when i might have to go to any of the other fiat dealerships.

salil_kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 10:37   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I guess that makes it the second person who is not happy with Anuroop.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 15:10   #6
BHPian

About FortPoint Thane, I'm waiting for the car to be delivered to me after regn on wednesday. After that I'll post a detailed description of my experiences. However, to be fair, I think the problem with FortPoint is that they don't have efficient people and they are not organized at all.. rather than being outright dishonest.

Their people remained friendly throughout and did co-operate with me in getting a car straight out of the factory. The impression I got was that there was very little co-ordination between the different people working in the showroom, each of them making different claims/statements and their workshop is hopeless. This makes the customer feel as if he is being cheated when its mostly just wrong/bad communication. Once I started taking things into my own hands and called up everyone 2-3 times a day (show room manager, salespeople, transporter, Fiat people ) and cross-checking things and acting as a co-ordinator between them, everything moved smoothly. About the rust, well, all the cars that leave the Fiat factory has rust on wheel rims and even a little on the battery contacts, Petra or Palio. But that's a different topic altogether.
Dovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 16:26   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

The way I see it. Anuroop is a fine dealer.

Problems with anuroop, were only b'coz there were problems with the car.

No problem with the car then there would be no problem with dealer. (this is how it goes even with maruti dealers)

So as far as normal service is concerned it all goes smooth.
Or lets say anuroop can be evaluated as ...
Buying experience - OK
After sales - OK
Workshop (when you have no complaints with the car) - OK
Workshop (when you have complaints with the car) - NOT OK

to me it just looks like a maruti dealer (who are rated No. 1).

Service costs, is not an issue with any dealer b'coz its you who decides the cost and not the dealer.
I somehow get a 2-3.5k bill for all my services even for the 800.
coz...
Every 2nd service following happens
Gear oil
Engine Oil
Coolant
Spark plugs
Wheel Alignment
Wheel Balancing
Misc issues
Service charges.

believe me that doesn't come to 600!!... so comparing service costs is not fair, unless you compare the same items.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 20:34   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Why Alignment & balancing in every 2nd service SLK ? Its required only at 10k kms unless you travel a lot on rough terrain & 2.5-3.5k for 800 is ridiculous ! My honda makes a bill of about Rs 2200 for the regular serivce..somehow its looking cheaper than your maruti
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 21:30   #9
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Alignment & balancing are done at every service!... as all Maruti's intervals are 10k.
Service charges : 400
Wheel Alignment : 250
Balancing 5 wheel : 150 + 250 (too much weight went in)
Injector cleaning : 250
Oil filter + Oil : 550 (GTX magnatec)
Gear Oil : 300+
Coolant : 300+ (don't remember exactly)
Spark Plugs : 120 (earlier 275 each)

That makes 2500+ already.
+there was some rear brake cylinder change... etc.. etc.

so.. change all these in City and probably u'll cross the 800 (F8D engine).

The main difference between a honda and a 800 would come up when u bang it.. and go for repairs.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 04:15   #10
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The main difference between a honda and a 800 would come up when u bang it.. and go for repairs.
Oh boy..tell me about that ! I'd a rear end shunt last year which almost cost the price of a 2nd hand maruti ! *

RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 13:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I gave my Palio for 1st service at Anuroop, Hyderabad. No appointment necessary.

After I drived there, the guard at the gate politely said that I can't drive inside and asked me to park on the road. Then I have to walk in and checks for customer attendant. Luckily I find one and he immediately attends me. Even the job card is written on the road. He asks for all the complaints and checks the car minutely for scratches. Later he tries to sell me window film and teflon coating. I settle for wax polish. It costs 550 bucks. He gives me the counterfoil. He also puts his mobile number on the slip. That is one good thing I am really impressed. I need not call the service center and go through n number of levels before i can reach him. He informs that the car can be collected at 2:00 PM.

I call him at 2:45 and he says my car is ready. I go to the service center. This is the first time I had a clear view of the place. There is no direct view area of the service center from the customers lounge but i can watch it from one of the supervisor's room. The same attendant who talked to me in the morning attends to me again. He takes me to the casher and I pay the bill. Then the lady requests me to sign that the service was to my satisfaction. Come on...I haven't seen my car yet. Then they drive my car on to the road for my inspection. I find a very tiny dot size paint peel on one of the door handle. I get furious with the attendant. He gets some rubbing done and tries to cool me. I ask for a door handle replacement. He becomes more polite and requests me that if there is further paint peeling they will get it replaced. After the rubbing is done, it looks ok, and so i agree.

Though they said the car was ready, the final rubbing of wax was not completed. They do it before and then deliver it to me. It took close to 45 mins for the delivery.

The total bill was Rs. 718. 550 for the waxxing and the rest for engine oil topping and other fluids.

Overall I had a mixed feeling about the workshop. The qualy of the service is ok except for the very tiny paint scratch on the door handle. There can be further improvement on the customer relations.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2004, 03:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salil_kulkarni
hey guys,
* * * * * * sorry to inform u, but ive been a regular to anuroop in getting my grandfathers palio 1.6 gtx serviced, and to be completely honest, i rather not talk about their service or customer service for that matter at all. I for sure would not recommend anuroop to anyone.
it is sad to hear this but i see urs is an unique case.I have had a very good experience with them.As i live in Vasai i have to wait there all day while my car is being serviced.they treat u well and also dont bother if u enter their workshop for just looking at the car.while u are there they even offer u tea or cofee.no that is nice when u see u are not buying a car.also all transcations are clean and clear.i think u shoul try and make friends with the workshop people and be nice to them.they ae really helpful.

also for Amit.now they have shifted the service reception(from the top floor) to where it war earlier.now they have this complety built up glass area just inside the workshop.also they have taken service for blaupunkt audio systems.a really good experience.maybe salil can have good experience the next time.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2004, 18:16   #13
BHPian

I have been getting my 1.2 NV2002 serviced at Angad-Chembur, except the last service which was at FortPoint Thane in Nov-04. (both at about 20 mins drive for me).

Experience with Angad was OK in most respects. They attend to you quickly, the car is generally delivered on the promised time, They call you after the service to check if you are satisfied with work etc. But their washing/cleaning job is not so good ( but I dont care so much about that as i generally get the car washed near my home frequently). I was upset with them when
they completely missed to do the mandetory the Anti-corrosion checks after completion of two years, as required by the company to keep the anti-corrosion warranty valid. (When I realized this, it was ~6 months past the due date, got it done then , but do not know if it means anything due to the delay).

Fortpoint Thane is totally disorganized. For them, it seemed the service means only washing (which they do well) and checking the engine oil. (I had to ask them to check the other fluid levels when i noticed that brake-oil bottle cap had not even been touched). I was told that there is no need to check engine ECU (which was done routinely at Angad). I doubted if they had carried out any of the other Fiat recommended checks. The guys were more interested in selling their AMCs, anti-corrossion treatments, engine de-carb etc (totally not required). Was amazed when they charged me even for door lubrication which should have been part of service. Fed-up with the unsolicited sales-talk I decided not to avail their services hereafter.

Cant go to Anuroop, or Shaman, both are far away.

I will rate Angad at 3 and Fort-Point at 1.5 (on a scale of 1-5, 1=very bad, 5= very good).
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2004, 19:01   #14
BHPian

Oops! I have a 2002 1.2 Sports.. and not "2002NV".
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2005, 10:33   #15
BHPian

[size=2]My brief experience with Fortpoint.[/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]I call them up and asked to send me details about the Petra by email. [/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]I get a quick response in half an hour. But all I get is an invoice on an excel sheet as an attachment! [/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]I patiently write back to them with details on what exact info I am looking for. [/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]Mail bounces back. Reason? Mailbox is full. [/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]Next day I get a call from them on my mobile. I ask them to call me later in an hours time. [/size]
[size=2] [/size]
[size=2]They never called back.[/size]

Last edited by Minardi : 7th January 2005 at 10:46.
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote