Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 14th November 2007, 14:27   #1
BHPian

Default Fiesta Servicing - Always delayed

Gave my fiesta for servicing (39k Kms) this Monday. Recently I broke the high beam/low beam toggle switch. So had taken to MPL Ford on 07-Nov. But they didnt take up my car work as it is "diwali season" and many employees are on leave. They told me only 12-Nov they can take the car. Till then I had drive around the city in the nights with high beam only on (couldnt change it to low) and got the curse of most of the oncoming vehicle drivers.

Finally gave it on 12-Nov. They had said they have stopped "picking up" the cars using their drivers. Anyway the service center is very near (2kms) so i had taken it there. They suggested to do the servicing for 40k kms. I said ok and asked them to carry out the following work:

1. Service (oil change etc)
2. Replace the broken combination switch
3. Check the power steering and change the fluid if necessary
4. Check brakes/suspension/under chassis for any damage
5. The boot door is not very smooth to close (spring issues). Fix that.
6. Rattling fix (very minor squeaks)
7. Paint the front and rear bumper as there are few scratches here and there.

Now it is the 3rd day and they are still working on it. Initially they said they will give on Wednesday (14-Nov) and try to give earlier if possible. Now they have only attended to 1-6 points. Painting job is pending. I hope tomorrow they will be doing that and giving me the car on 15-Nov evening.

But how ever i press them hard and urge them to deliver the car in reasonable time they go on in their own slow pace. I would like to know from others if this is how it happens with their Fiesta (typically 2-3 days for servicing) and even more for minor repair works?

To top it all whenever you reach the service station to pick up the car it takes a minimum of 1 hour to get the car out (bill preparation, car cleaning, fetching the car from somewhere behind the workshop, gate pass entry, find out dirt and ask them to clean again, looking for scratches etc etc).

And how about other cars like Honda city, SX4 etc? I would like to know the experience of others with regards to paid service and minor work and the time taken for it.

Last edited by LandCruiser : 14th November 2007 at 14:41.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 14:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

No way does it take 2 or 3 days - except for the painting, all other stuff you have stated should be attended to in a day along with the service. Having said that, I do make it a point to check labour availability before I send the car - just to make sure I don't send it on a day when most guys are on leave (that does happen on certain days of the year like the days before & after Diwali, around Navratra etc)
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

From what I understand is that scratches on the bumpers are fixed by some touchup job of the paint. If you are repainting the whole bumper then only it might take a day to dry up. However, 3 days is certainly not like it.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 20:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

3 days for normal service. Man they are taking you for a ride. Shoot a mail to ford india. Not sure if it would help.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 20:11   #5
BHPian

My brother in law too goes through the same thing with his ford. I guess he uses the workshop at velachery (i dont know if it is MPL / Chennai ford).
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 20:16   #6
BHPian

Yes it is the Velachery workshop. I went there today and all the work that has been done so far are:

1. Oil change
2. Brakes/suspension checks (no changes)
3. Combination switch changed
4. Power steering fluid changed
5. Test drive taken and verified

Only that in 3 days time. Now they have to paint the rear bumper that will be taken tomorrow "Afternoon" he says. It means they cant paint it before that time and taking the car immediately tomorrow evening is a risk as they will try to dry blow the paint. So have to wait until Friday! They will never learn and change their ways!

Last edited by LandCruiser : 14th November 2007 at 20:18.
Old 15th November 2007, 13:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

In Hyd, Mody Ford finishes servicing in a single day. However accident repair like denting and painting takes 3 to 4 days. One day is taken up by the surveyor, and the balance for the jobs, including drying of paint, car washing and Waxoyl treatment over the newly painted surface.
Not sure if this delay is inordinate.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 14:34   #8
BHPian

I have always got my car in a single day. The only time it took two days when I had asked for some accessories to be fitted.
Overall I am satisfied with Planet Fords servicing.
Not sure why the service at Chennai is so slow, despite the fact that the Manufacturing Hub for Ford is located in that city.
RacingForIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 14:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Typically, all the work stated by you should be done in a day unless they have to wait for spares. Maybe they had to order the combination switch & get it. But they could have finished the painting during this time. Just shows how disorganised they are. I have always taken delivery on the same day or the next day. I guess maruti is a lot better organised in this.

Quote:
To top it all whenever you reach the service station to pick up the car it takes a minimum of 1 hour to get the car out (bill preparation, car cleaning, fetching the car from somewhere behind the workshop, gate pass entry, find out dirt and ask them to clean again, looking for scratches etc etc).
Absolutely agree on that part.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 10:02   #10
BHPian

Got the car yesterday. The advisor called me to inform that some equipment in the paintshop is broken (i think heater) and they may alternatively use some other equipment which may not guarantee a good finish. He was wary of it and the paintshop guys may not do a good job. So took it back.

Got the car back on the 4th day with a 7k bill (including spares). I don't know why they have changed the 4 spark plugs they will anyway say they weren't good. So fine.

They had unnecessarily done wheel balancing and alignment. The car was fine earlier before the service and now it is pulling to the left side. The power steering noise is still coming but feels little light. They didnt change the fluid or anything. The "noise" even after I told them was not found during their test drive. I believe it is because of person A asking person B to do something and he informs Person C and so on. Finally they end up not doing the job properly.

I am pretty sure that I have to spend my entire Saturday tomorrow to get these things right again but going for a "test drive" with them. As they would like the customer to spend time with them and point out the problems and do their job for them.

I hate Ford Service!

Last edited by LandCruiser : 16th November 2007 at 10:06.
Old 16th November 2007, 13:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Absolutely agree on that part.
The best thing to do is to land up half an hour AFTER the closing time - that's when they'd start calling you up & its a reasonable guess that all would be done by then. You just pay & drive out.

That's the only way you can avoid the wait.......
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 15:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
I don't know why they have changed the 4 spark plugs
Is this the first time they are changing the plugs of your car or did they change it at 20K service ? If its the first time, it sounds OK to me.

For my Baleno, they changed at 20K service, which I felt was not required. There were no problems with ignition etc. And the plug in my bike is runnning for some 40K kms without issues. So why change it at 20K for a car ?

Quote:
They had unnecessarily done wheel balancing and alignment. The car was fine earlier before the service and now it is pulling to the left side.
If you dont want a job done, make sure you take the job card and write it explicitly there. Else, they will do it and charge you. Check your manual - it must be a part of the 40K service. If not, they had no business doing it without your asking for it.

Quote:
I hate Ford Service!
At Arumbakkam, there is a Ford service centre (forgot the dealer name) bang opposite ABT where I service my car. You could try that - though I dont know how far it is for you.

Quote:
And how about other cars like Honda city, SX4 etc? I would like to know the experience of others with regards to paid service and minor work and the time taken for it.
For me, paid and free services have always been done in a day (at ABT). Once done, they will call up and when you come to pick the car, it is spic and span. All you need to wait for is the bill to be paid.

What I hate about them is that they discourage me from staying with the car when it is being serviced. They say, "Saar, it will take a long time. We have lots of cars etc". This one reason makes me want to go to a small mechanic from next service, where i can be around during the 2-3 hours that it takes him to do stuff part of the routine service.

Quote:
Got the car back on the 4th day with a 7k bill (including spares).
If not too much trouble, could you post the break up or put up a scanned image of the bill. To get an idea of the service/spares cost.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 15:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
At Arumbakkam, there is a Ford service centre (forgot the dealer name) bang opposite ABT where I service my car. You could try that - though I dont know how far it is for you.
Thats chennai ford.
OT : SB, do you give your car at arumbakkam ABT ? I had a bad experience once
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 16:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Yes it is the Velachery workshop.
When i had my Ikon i used to pick up the car the very next day, i used to give at MPL saligramam, the service is much better there.

I have also faced issues with velachery ford, there are couple of times when i had to wait for more than half an hour to speak to customer service guy..

there is a cust. ser. guy called Prasad, you can speak to him, he is a nice guy and might (??) give the correct picture...
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 16:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
OT : SB, do you give your car at arumbakkam ABT ? I had a bad experience once
Yeah, thats the nearest one for me. And have done all services of the Baleno there.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote