Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 14th January 2008, 16:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
How long did they take to repair?
It took about a week. The actual repair was 2 days, plus an additional delay of 2 days while I kept at them to get the panel gaps right. However, they panel gaps seem to have gotten worse, for a car that was fixed, my friend took a look at it and asked me why the car was hanging on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Is this a TATA- FIAT service centre or previous one?
I was contacted by 3 different people from Manipal today, they said they will pickup the car and have it fixed. Lets see what they do.
Those parts are really expensive. especially being plastice, they dont get covered more than 50% by insurance as well
Vinaygv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 21:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

As per ACI survey, Palio Stile is almost 3 times costlier to service & repair compared to the competition.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 21:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per ACI survey, Palio Stile is almost 3 times costlier to service & repair compared to the competition.
What are the cars in competition to Stile?

We need not isolate Fiat in this case, such shoddy work can happen in any ASC be it Maruti or Hyundai or Honda!
The ASC should be taken to task by escalating such incidents to the Car maker directly & then they'll learn the lesson the hard way.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 21:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Maruti Swift Petrol and diesel, Getz CRDi and Petrol, i10, Santro, Spark, Estilo, WagonR, Indica diesel and petrol.

Everything in the small car segment. Palio is way more expensive than anything else in the segment.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 22:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

We need not isolate Fiat in this case, such shoddy work can happen in any ASC be it Maruti or Hyundai or Honda!
The ASC should be taken to task by escalating such incidents to the Car maker directly & then they'll learn the lesson the hard way.
That is true, it happens due to negligence at the ASC not directly related to the manufacturer, however, its the manufacturers duty to make sure that all repairs are carried out well, considering repairing a car at times costs a fair percentage of the total car's worth.
If not carried out properly it not only ruins the experience, it also makes the car unsafe to drive in some situations.

Have contacted Manipal, have kept the option to contact FIAT on the back burner pending the follow up from them. So far they seem to want to get the problem fixed ASAP.
Tried taking pics, but the color difference does not show up well on camera, the panel gaps visible to the naked eye are beyond the cameras perception of depth.
Old 14th January 2008, 22:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Swift Petrol and diesel, Getz CRDi and Petrol.
Can't believe this till I read the ACI myself.

Vinay, if you want things to be sorted out soon, pls escalate to Fiat India at the earliest!

Last edited by finneyp : 14th January 2008 at 22:08.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 22:14   #22
BHPian

@finneyp,
I have got the numbers for the guys from FIAT from PUG, will be calling them tomorrow.
@CrAzY dRiVeR
The Swift petrol/Diesel and the Gets CRDI and Petrol are way more expensive while not giving you the same amenities in their base versions "The ones that cost the same as the Palio".
Old 14th January 2008, 22:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Vinay, try to take good clear pictures and escalate to Fiat India.

WRT expensive spares nothing can be done I guess but the least they can do is assure you have a near perfect fit and finish.

Also dont let this turn into a fiat vs maruti vs hyundai vs us vs them
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 00:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Thats funny . Previously when I had asked the price for the same (headlamp) they had quoted me 8100 per piece. That comes to 16200 a pair.
Because the prices recently came down. They are importing these lights and there is no way you can get it for Rs. 2000/- bucks unless they are locally manufactured and Fiat seems to be busy with other cars to address this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Wow!
You had a bad experience with Manipal Motors.
I thought the price of Fiat spares had come down. If they continue pricing it at these levels then god help them.
As for the paint finish - it is very difficult to get the touched up paint to match factory finish. complain to manipal and ask them to sort it out.
OT - almost all the honda's i have seen in Mumbai that have had an accident touched up seem to have the same problem of paint not matching with the car.
The prices for the type I Palio 1.6 (the one I own) is probably 1/4th of the quoted figures. I can only attribute the costs to imported spares v/s locally manufactured ones. The old Palio spares are localized to about 70% whereas they are (or I hope they are) working on localizing the content in the Stile as well. I wonder if the doors are manufactured locally or imported as well. Because ACI has quoted some 11k for one door!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaygv View Post
@finneyp,
I have got the numbers for the guys from FIAT from PUG, will be calling them tomorrow.
If possible contact Mangesh Kodhalkar from Fiat who handles service. He should be able to address the issue for you. Tell him that you are from Palio Users Group and it will help. As for cost of spares is concerned I don't think there's much that can be done about this.

I always wished none of the Palio Stile owners crash their cars because I anticipated repair costs to be high. Imagine a front impact with broken headlights which alone would set you back by 12 - 13k!

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th January 2008 at 00:26.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 00:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I did not know a Stile was so expensive to maintain. Like moralfibre said, I hope they start localizing the spare part manufacturing. Am pretty sure the Linea, 500, Punto, Bravo et all will cost a bomb to maintain too!
Fiat is not learning from its mistakes :(
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 00:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Thats funny . Previously when I had asked the price for the same (headlamp) they had quoted me 8100 per piece. That comes to 16200 a pair.

Man, i thought n_aditya paid a bomb for his esteem's clear lens headlamps (He paid 5500).

Do these headlamps have the leveling thingy ? If so, the price is not that bad.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 01:01   #27
BHPian

Yes, the cost of the spares is high, most all of them are imported, but the least they can do is make sure the parts replaced fit together the way they were intended to.
@esteemlover; yes they do. on all beams, even the fogs can be adjusted with a small bolt likr thingee,

Last edited by Vinaygv : 15th January 2008 at 01:03.
Old 15th January 2008, 01:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Am pretty sure the Linea, 500, Punto, Bravo et all will cost a bomb to maintain too!
Fiat is not learning from its mistakes :(
No no no, you are generalizing the Palio fever on the Punto and the Linea at least. They are delayed just because of localization and they are going to be localized at a higher scale than the Palio if I read it right and heard it right as well. The 500 and Bravo will be direct imports and I cannot comment on spare part costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Man, i thought n_aditya paid a bomb for his esteem's clear lens headlamps (He paid 5500).
Do these headlamps have the leveling thingy ? If so, the price is not that bad.
Yes they do have the levelling thingy since thats an ARAI norm for all vehicles now. I wonder if the 1 lakh car has it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaygv View Post
Yes, the cost of the spares is high, most all of them are imported, but the least they can do is make sure the parts replaced fit together the way they were intended to.
Sorry I didn't go through your report in detail yet, but I will do that now.

Quote:
@esteemlover; yes they do. on all beams, even the fogs can be adjusted with a small bolt likr thingee,
I think John (Walker) is talking about the levelling thingy that is electronic and is a operated using the thumb wheel to automatically adjust head light levels.
Old 15th January 2008, 01:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I think John (Walker) is talking about the levelling thingy that is electronic and is a operated using the thumb wheel to automatically adjust head light levels.
You are right, it takes a black to understand the blue.

But, couldn't the service station have salvaged the motor from the damaged unit ? i think they have made quite a packet in that, if they did. Aditya bought the headlamps minus the motors.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 01:23   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You are right, it takes a black to understand the blue.

Quote:
But, couldn't the service station have salvaged the motor from the damaged unit ? i think they have made quite a packet in that, if they did. Aditya bought the headlamps minus the motors.
Will find out if it is possible in the Fiat.