Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 16th August 2008, 16:10   #1
Default Pre-purchase experiences at Mumbai dealerships

I am in the process on buying a new sedan in Mumbai, and have tried many options. I thought I would share my experiences with the dealers when trying to BUY a new car from them. Perhaps you can draw your own conclusions from them, what kind of service you can expect later on!

Honda City - went to a dealership in Kalina - forget the name. The guy seemed snooty - was not very keen to give me a test drive - packed me off with brochures - the car with safety features was beyond my budget anyway.

Maruti - Sai Service - Lower Parel. Registered on their website, inquiring for a new car purchase, and got a call back from them within an hour!! Now that's something. The sales girl Jinal chased me diligently until I told her the decision was postponed. When I called up two months later she remembered me and arrranged for a test drive promptly. When I visited the showroom, though she was not technically knowledgeable about cars like the Team BHP experts, to her credit she knew all the features, prices, options of Maruti vehcicles and the competition etc very well. The guy who evaluated my Old baleno for exchange tried to rip me off, offering me Rs. 80,000 for a 2000 model done 120,000 km (I got offers from outside for Rs. 1 lac). Later on Jinal kept following up with me with reasonable intervals, not too often to get on my nerves, but not so far about that I felt forgotten. Overall a good experience. If I buy the SX4, will sure buy from them

Continental Hyundai -Khar, Mumbai. Their contact numbers on the Hyundai website were wrong. Went there in person, collected the brochures. Sales girls there were not too knowledgeable beyond the basics of the different models and their price points. Feature knowledge was not their strong point. They followed up couple of times for test drive but I was busy. Then a week later, I called to ask for a test drive, they said they will come Saturday 11:00 am, but no one turned up or called. For a week. Then I called Hyundai tollfree number, they promised to have the dealer call me, but no luck. After a week, Continental called me and sent the car over for a test drive, with a driver only! No sales person!! I took a test drive of the Verna and sent the driver back with the car. They could do with some lessons on selling!

Skoda Fabia - Autograph cars.
The sales guy came promptly with the car for test drive. He was knowledgeable and friendly. Only thing the car was beyond budget. So had to drop it.

Mahindra Logan - Prabhadevi Dealership. Walked in. Guy gave me all the brochures, showed me the various options and price points. Did not know too much about warranty options etc. I gave my contact numbers but they did not bother to make a followup call. Guess they have too much of business on their hands.

Bhavna Ford - Kalina.
Newly opened Branch, headed by Dharmendra Desai. The pick of the lot. Dharmendra is very dedicated towards selling cars, especially Ford vehicles. He knows a lot about these cars, inside out. Over two visits, he spent almost three to four hours with me, going over my requirements, my driving patterns, economics of petrol/vs diesel for my mileage, options on the cars available, service options, warranty options. Then over to the car, detailed explanation of all the features, safety features, etc etc. The guy really knows his stuff. prices, competition features, plus and minus etc. Does not seem an out-and-out sales person either, gave me reasonable opinions, not trying to sell me the moon. Gave me three test drives (two diesel, one petrol). Showed me all the features, how they operate - higher power at lower gears for city driving etc. If you are planning to buy a Ford vehicle, talk to this guy. Don't know about their after-sales-service, though, since I have postponed my decision to buy, based on Team BHP advice to wait for NHC and Fiat Linea!

Hope this two-cents worth from my side helps other prospective buyers somewhat!

petertheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 22:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

since I have postponed my decision to buy, based on Team BHP advice to wait for NHC and Fiat Linea!
So why don't you see what is in store for you at a Tata/Fiat dealership?

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 15:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Dealer experiences always make for an interesting read.

1. Honda = arrogant as expected. Also, the Ichibaan @ Kalina is now parting ways with Honda.

2. Sai Service : Typical Maruti efficiency in followup.

3. Continental Hyundai : Surprising! Hyundai showrooms are known to be meticulous in their handling of potential leads.

4. Skoda : Deserving by a premium car.

5. Logan : Surprised again. With the amount that Logan sales are falling, you'd think its sales team would have an element of aggression.

6. Bhavna Ford : Great experience! I don't know of too many dealers who would spend 3 - 4 hours with a potential customer. I hope he doesn't lose his enthusiasm once the new showroom kicks off.

Thanks for sharing this, Peter!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 15:35   #4

nice report man. Yeah my experience with bhavna ford was similar. They do spent time in explaining things.

I also had a terrible experience with hyndai dealer located in navi mumbai (sharayu hunydai i guess). They did not bother to unlock and show me higher spec getz . And later on followed on calls couple of times.

Last edited by 1000Horses : 18th August 2008 at 15:36.
1000Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had a bad experience with the Sakinaka based Hyundai showroom. Made me wait an hour for a testdrive of the I10 and worst of all they send a lady who didnt know anything about the car. She must have been free to just go along. 1 km testdrive.
In case i was serious on buying a car that place was the last one i would go to.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote