Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 13th February 2009, 12:11   #286
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tomthump,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthump View Post
So if I were to have a customer call my principal about a shoddy work, as seen from his point of view, that would leave me unhappy because I was not given an opportunity to correct it (though this has never happened to date Likewise, I need to give leeway to my car dealer too. Let him try to sort out the problems. Once I am convinced he cannot or will not do it, only then do I need to make an issue of it.

I am not making excuses for Fiat or their dealers, because I have done my share of screaming, bustling out of service centres and writing snide letters and e-mails to car companies, but finally I realized my aim should be to get my vehicle back in a better condition and screaming at your dealer is less efective than the soft approach. The hard act can always be brought in later if needed, but why bother for such small issues?
Hats off to you for the above two paragraphs!

I totally agree with you, as I am a businessman myself and know how difficult it is to please customers, though in my retail textile line, I really don't have service issues, other than returns.

My experiences with service centres have been quite good with all my cars and dealer service centres. I have been able to solve all my problems so far at the service centre itself, except for one occasion where I had to visit another service centre for getting the owrk the way I wanted it to be done.

If I do pass though Punalur in sane hours, I will make it a point to send a private message, so we could meet. Do inform me if you pass through Alleppey.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:00   #287
Senior - BHPian

That was one hell of a post Tomthump! I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry reading about your experience. Best of luck with getting your car fixed properly.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:09   #288
BHPian

Default my palio 1.6 experience

Quote:
Because i was prewarned, I went in with an open mind. So after the first service, when the engine power seemed to have dropped a bit, I accepted the service person's statement that they had not adjusted anything. Also when the Fiat started dropping into Limp Mode at high speeds, I accepted their justifications, and waited for my second service when they had promised to change the fuel injection pump.
Quote:
After the second service last week, even though the pump was not changed, I accepted my car because they had changed the filters and I thought the problem may have been solved.
Exp[ecially in a Fiat. Buy it only if you want it and fully knowing you will get a lot of imperfections for the fanatstic performace. But after buying it don't gripe, because that is how it is!!
wonderfully put... i'm a newbie here too.. i also had a matiz (against all well-meant advice, then i bought a palio 1.6 (again against well-meant advice)

I've had problems from day 1... the tata dealer (concorde) in bangalore couldn't even figure why my car would just stop in the middle of traffic whenever it chose... no warning lights, no pattern in the engine stalls... they changed my knock sensor 3 times and promised all was fine and dandy... i was on their case for a month... wrote to fiat... threatened to go to court (all very politely, of course) and still their supposed 'expert' from pune came and drove the car for a day, emptied my petrol and declared it was the knock sensor (the only component that showed was faulty by the computer...

finally an engineer (from green tracks) and i test drove the palio all day replacing parts one after the other to figure out what caused the engine to stop abruptly... it was the fuel pump... he asked me to go back to concorde since he did not have the part... concorde didn't either but the top man there did what he called a 'cannibalism' - remove it from a new palio and put it in mine...

i never leave my car's side even during services... i take the day off to service my car... i dont trust tata-fiat guys...

many more problems, but the second most haunting one was that of my tires wearing out in 5k km.... alignment so bad that inner walls were all gone (was checking new alloys and the mech's finger got cut by the steel) another week for fiat to buy me new tires...

phew! i dread services - one coming up soon

all in all, talking about fiat service is like beating a dead horse
but driving one makes me feel like 'i rule' (cant insert 2nd smiley)
guns666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:45   #289
Senior - BHPian

@TomThump, welcome to TBHP! It was refreshing to read your posts -- most posts on FIATs are tinged with passion (for, or against FIAT). I'm an ex-Palio owner myself, and like you, I too bought it and kept it fully knowing about the limitations of the A.S.S.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with the car & the dealer. Giving some leeway to the dealer is a good idea, but if the dealer is the one I think it is, I think you should set a reasonable deadline first and then approach FIAT as soon as the deadline is past.

From your location, I think we have common friends (relatives of yours) in Kakkanad in Kochi: one with self-inflicted baldness, drives a white VTEC (and recently bought a low-bonnet Jeep), and the other one is the young movie-mad son of the owner of that silver 1.6 Petra. If I am right about these friends, I had heard of the story of your purchase of the 1.6 from the VTEC guy

Last edited by hydrashok : 13th February 2009 at 13:50.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 22:08   #290
BHPian

Thank you kiku.

And to u 2oo Vamp..

So do I Lalvaz,...

thank you trrk, but I think you get pains in another way, when you have to listen to people demean the quality of your fabrics, or the quality of your clothing, and when you persistantly have to worry about your large stocks that keep piling up. My worries in business I guess would be rather small compared to yours.

raghva, after a while you get to the point of being calloused. So I try and make a happy statement about my worries like I do here.

gunny, you caught me there on the tire thing. I had it too, the inner walls. The two front tires have been shifted to the rear, but my reason was I was too lazy to get it checked, the local places are not all that confidence inspiring. I am reassured because you have the same faults that I have, and my driving may not be the cause, as I once suspected. I read somewhere here that till the first 2000 Kms it is better to keep under 2000 rpm (or was it 3000?) and I kept to that, except for those times ocassionally when your foot and brain think you are not looking.

hydra, you are spot on.. and about the dealer too. I will certainly act on your advice,

actually I tried calling the service person who collected my car, at intervals from this morning.

strangely, he was not responding. I can understand his position, because after all he is only a pickup person. I will have to go through the phone call rigmarole next week. I hate driving up to service centres because a whole day gets lost, so I'd much rather avoid it.

I think it should be possible to sort things out with a few proper whines at apporopriate places, I hope so anyway.

I only hope my car is not out in the sun with windows open. Is he that movie mad? I need to look a bit more closely!
tomthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 00:55   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
most posts on FIATs are tinged with passion
... Must be the Italian blood!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 01:19   #292
BHPian

Nice posts tomthump, my wife thought a nut might have gone loose on my head as she was hearing me laughing at this time of the day.
Well, I have a 4 year old Ikon, looking for options for changing it after having my share of woes with the Ford service. Sometimes feel sticking to public transport might be a better option as one will not need to worry about paying the EMI and what more one can expect from the next service. My other vehicle is a Bullet . Like people tells me, mistakes can happen, but if it is repeated and costly, then it might be the case of a loose nut.
RSimonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 01:37   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I have learned to accept these situations, where nothing is perfect

Exp[ecially in a Fiat. Buy it only if you want it and fully knowing you will get a lot of imperfections for the fanatstic performace. But after buying it don't gripe, because that is how it is!!
What a breath of fresh air!

Welcome to the Forum, TomThump!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 12:20   #294
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
GTO i think you should put this little point in your thread related to predelivery when taking a test drive check if the ODO is running or not if not on the test vehicle there is something fishy going on.
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 01:01   #295
BHPian

Simon, I am happy you liked it, because I did too. You never know what you have inside you unless you spill a little. And if you see others like the stuff yoy can give, that makes it a pleasant experience. I appreciate the postive comments of the many nice folks here.

Thank you steero..this place is awesome, with the great loads of info you have available.

and since the whole show is democratic, with the money bags kept outside you get to read frank commentaries. I hate it when people tell my faults to my face, but then how else would I know?

I have this habit of asking all my customers whether they would like a tea... and today I had a regular customer of mine advice me not ask in that manner because how could I expect the other person to tell me he WANTED a tea!?

Order the tea and invite him to have it, was the advice given. That was a new lesson I learnt.

Never ask the other person if he wants something that you are willing to give.
Just give it, and leave it to him to decide whether he wants it or not.

I did not like to hear him tell me that, but as a fact I had to swallow it. I respect him more for that statement too.

Isn't it lucky that I did not bad mouth the person who collected my car yesterday? I tried calling him thrice this morning, and finally he answered. I fact he called me back to say that he had not gone in because there was no work yesterday (why he did not pick up the call was not explained, but politeness kept me from asking) The pump is on its way from Fiat, and should reach by Monday or Tuesday.

He said he considers it his personal responsibility to return my car back to me after the complaints are solved. He may or may not do it, but it was indeed nice of him to respond so.

That is another lesson I learnt this morning... one I relearn almost everyday.. Don't jump to conclusions.

And another advice (sorry for being sagacious)... when your mind tells you that what you are doing is right, and once you have reasoned and accepted it, don't let other people's advices sway you.

You can hurt yourself carrying gripes about others advices, but never about your own.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:55   #296
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
thank you trrk, but I think you get pains in another way, when you have to listen to people demean the quality of your fabrics, or the quality of your clothing, and when you persistantly have to worry about your large stocks that keep piling up.
Well, you do hit the point quite nicely. At the end of the day, I don't feel much of satisfaction that everything is going the way it should!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 23:55   #297
BHPian

I expected the pump to get to the service center on Monday or Tuesday. They got it on Monday. They fitted it and did a 20KM road test on Tuesday, my person said.

I have suggested he do some longer drives at higher speeds before he delivers my car, just so's he can avoid a rag tag drive back if the problem persists.

So my point here is that parts ARE sent promptly by manufacturers, and dealers DO fit them. There may me lots of exceptions and mine may be a unique situation, I agree, though I doubt it.

But my original doubt remains... will my complaints be solved fully, and will my car be returned with newer more exciting complaints?

Let us wait and see.

In the meantime, against all good advice, and my own good judgment, I have agreed to buy a second (third? fourth?) hand Gypsy. 1995 MG410 for 1.5K.

Like I mentioned earlier, my local body has provided me with really good dirt roads. I have this great steep incline, a rather new road built just fifteen years, where the tar and metal(stones) have come loose. In the current dry summer, you get these great swings that give you pleasant thrills, such as getting a morbid feeling your rear wheels are going to spin sideways.

I expect that these roads are going to be maintained in their current state, and I want to try the surface with a real off roader before some busybody feels he must do a proper job to justify the salary he draws.

I do not expect I will have more than five years to try out these roads. Hence the Gypsy.

Fun Huh!?
Old 19th February 2009, 09:20   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So my point here is that parts ARE sent promptly by manufacturers, and dealers DO fit them. There may me lots of exceptions and mine may be a unique situation, I agree, though I doubt it.
Very true. What happens in most cases is that the dealer does not really put up the order with the manufacturer since he wants to save on transportation costs buy doing a bulk order. In most other cases they order the wrong part. And in some they just sit idle since they dont know the part number. Not sure what FIAT would be able to do for these issues to get sorted out. In all above cases the dealers easily get away due to the horrendous brand image that FIAT has in India.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 13:45   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the meantime, against all good advice, and my own good judgment, I have agreed to buy a second (third? fourth?) hand Gypsy. 1995 MG410 for 1.5K.
You mean 1500 INR? You buying scrap?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 20:00   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You mean 1500 INR? You buying scrap?
Whoa... at that price I will take 3 of that!

What a difference it makes when "L" gets mis-placed with "K"!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote