Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier?
Yes 292 83.43%
No 58 16.57%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st August 2013, 08:24   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier? Poll included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
That is good to know. But, the service advisers at Sai Service insist on complete part replacement instead of the filter. Already wasted 3 x 1200 on my first diesel filter replacement. Quite a shame that the front line staff at a reputed service outlet doesn't know this.
What i think they must have done is , they would have replaced the cartridge and charge you for the whole bottle and cartridge . Diesel filter cartridge is available at all maruti authorized spare parts dealer and service center . I think you should shoot an email to maruti for same that this was done and your money will be refunded back .
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 10:47   #242
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!

Hey BHPians,

IMHO maruti service is not that expensive, if you get fooled by the SA's at the service station done blame maruti.

I put my Petrol Ritz for its 40,000 service at Sai service station Hinjewadi and the estimate quoted after discussions with the SA was 4500/-

So here goes the list of cancellations -
1. Engine flush - not needed
2. Engine decarb - not needed
3. Injector cleaning - not needed
4. Brake cleaning!! haha, when I asked if he was planning to grind the pads and shoes he said no just clean them with sand papar. Made him cancel this as well
5. Clutch was a little hard, SA said its the pressure plate. Told him to lube the clutch cable and change cable if needed
6. Suspension check up - cancelled!

Getting all the interior shampooed, vacummed, polished and seat covers dry cleaned for an additional 800 bucks!
Total bill estimate 5300.

This was my first time at the hinjewadi Sai service. The place looked clean and contemporary, the service bays were equipped with all new stuff and all the mechanics working diligently. First impressions were positive, I'll update fellow bhpians with the outcome in the evening or tomorrow.
Siddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:04   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post

I put my Petrol Ritz for its 40,000 service at Sai service station Hinjewadi and the estimate quoted after discussions with the SA was 4500/-
Well 4500 after all the cancellation for petrol car is pretty much standard and I will not call it cheap by any means.

On another note you should not have cancelled brake cleaning

Now if someone wants to know what are major differences between petrol and diesel service costs I can list them as

1. Diesel filter with sensor : In newer generation cars diesel filter alone costs approx 1500 ( +/- ~300 depending on car).
2. Diesel engine oil is costlier per liter
3. Diesel cars have mostly hydraulic clutch.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:06   #244
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO maruti service is not that expensive, if you get fooled by the SA's at the service station done blame maruti.
SAs are in a way face of the company. A customer who doesn't know everything about a car can't say what is good and what is not and this is where the trust comes in. If this is not a one off issue and happens many times then something is seriously wrong with the serrvice network and the company that runs it.
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:27   #245
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone!

I am not surprised with this thread and it was only a matter of time that this was soon realized. I would like to share my experience with my 2005 Swift in brief even though there is a separate thread on this in detail.

I live in Mumbai which is a coastal city with high humidity and further more I live at Carter Road in Mumbai. For those of you not familiar with the area, it is a sea facing area. I had bought a Swift Vxi in 2005 and had taken the extended warranty too which was a total of 04 years and 80k kms. The car was always regularly serviced and detailed. I noticed that the car began to rust and show signs of corrosion within 03 years of ownership. This was particularly observed on all the doors especially on the edges and under the beading. I brought this to the notice of the authorized service center and got the affected parts repainted. I was told that it was because I lived near the sea. It was definitely a stupid reason from the service center but I actually thought at that time that this could be the reason. However, this issue cropped up again after 06 months and after taking it to the service center they touched up the affected areas for free. This repeated after another 06 months after which I was fed up and wrote to them asking for a permanent solution. I was told that 03 doors had to be changed and it would be done at their cost. This was shocking for a 04 year old car but I went ahead and did it. To my shock the same issue cropped up again after 08 months. By this time I had decided to sell the car and of course due to the door change and signs of rust had to compromise on the resale value too.

The new Swift Zxi was on my mind too while choosing a new car as they had 'galvanized body' mentioned on their website but they could not confirm an anti corrosion warranty. So instead I paid a lakh more and went ahead with the VW Polo 1.6 just because they offered a 06 year anti corrosion warranty!!

My point is - Maruti is definitely cheaper to buy, parts are probably cheaper but cars are definitely not cheap to maintain!!! The reason is simple and it is because the quality is just not comparable with any other brand. Why is the car more fuel efficient? Because the sheet metal is thinner and makes the car lighter but in turn the metal is not strong enough to withstand the extreme weather conditions in India; at least in Mumbai.

The fact that Maruti Suzuki, being the first International brand to enter India and knowing the weather conditions of this country far better than any other car manufacturer can still not offer a warranty on anti corrosion speaks alot about the confidence in the quality of their product. VW on the other hand being a fairly new market player is able to do that.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:29   #246
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Is Maruti Service and Spares getting costlier? Poll included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
What i think they must have done is , they would have replaced the cartridge and charge you for the whole bottle and cartridge . Diesel filter cartridge is available at all maruti authorized spare parts dealer and service center . I think you should shoot an email to maruti for same that this was done and your money will be refunded back .
If you see my ownership report, I have made a fuss about it. Thread link. (My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 40,000kms Update !!!)

They did change the entire assembly and charged me for it. I don't leave my car at the service station and supervise all the work.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:51   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well 4500 after all the cancellation for petrol car is pretty much standard and I will not call it cheap by any means.

On another note you should not have cancelled brake cleaning
Hey amitk26, IMO for a major 40k service 4500 bucks for changing all oils, coolant, air filter, fuel filter, washing, greasing, labour etc for a 5 lakh rupee car is pretty cheap.

I had done brake cleaning previously and trust me the change lasted for a day. No point getting this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
SAs are in a way face of the company. A customer who doesn't know everything about a car can't say what is good and what is not and this is where the trust comes in. If this is not a one off issue and happens many times then something is seriously wrong with the serrvice network and the company that runs it.
Why depend on the SA for everything? Everyone knows they just want to rip off customers and make money. Every owner should read the car service manual once before you go in for the service and read a little online about service details. You do a online search for any car with something related to service and there are so many detailed results. Most importantly TBHP threads to understand atleast the basics of car service and avoid getting fleeced.
Siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 14:50   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy;3214137i
Hey amitk26, IMO for a major 40k service 4500 bucks for changing all oils, coolant, air filter, fuel filter, washing, greasing, labour etc for a 5 lakh rupee car is pretty cheap.
What if I say that service cost of every other car under 8 lakhs is roughly same?

I mean I do not see why Maruti Suzuki service should be called cheap if it costs as much as other cars.

This was not the case few years back Maruti service used to be as cheap as Tata service costs.

Going by these yardsticks I would say that 10 lakh rupees Tata Safari is extremely cheap to maintain I know people express various opinions when the name Tata is uttered but my experience with them is better then Maruti , GM and keeping my fingers crossed for Honda as I have just availed first service. But sales experience of Honda was worst of the 4.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 15:18   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Why depend on the SA for everything? Everyone knows they just want to rip off customers and make money. Every owner should read the car service manual once before you go in for the service and read a little online about service details. You do a online search for any car with something related to service and there are so many detailed results. Most importantly TBHP threads to understand atleast the basics of car service and avoid getting fleeced.
I am not talking about a enthusiast or an engineer. I am talking about a average owner who may not understand mechanicals much- most owners fall in that category. There is a limit on what one could understand on what is required. A service advisor is supposed to know better and is expected to serve the owners. Not that they need to be angels but they are expected to be reasonable. As I said earlier, if this is a trend across service stations something is amiss.
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 15:39   #250
Senior - BHPian

A friend got his 2005 Zen serviced at Bimal (Whitefield) recently. The charges were 7k odd.

At the time of handover (he had opted for pickup and drop service) they told him not to switch on A/C while driving! Apparently the engine would stop if done so! Also the power steering was not working at all and so were the power windows!

Naturally he raised a lot of stink. They had to take his car again and rectify the issues (they told him the root cause was some loose fuse?) What I didnt get is why did they deliver him the car with so many issues in the first place!!!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 15:49   #251
BHPian

Quote:
What if I say that service cost of every other car under 8 lakhs is roughly same?

I mean I do not see why Maruti Suzuki service should be called cheap if it costs as much as other cars.
My usual 10 k servicing are in the range of 2-2.5 k, this one being a major one costed in excess of 4.5k. A few people around who own Polos and Hyundai i20's I know are being charged in the range of 6-8 k for their regular servicing. I am not sure if they are being fleeced with all the unwanted flushes and decarb deals. I still feel the basic necessary servicing cost is pretty reasonable when compared to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
I am not talking about a enthusiast or an engineer. I am talking about a average owner who may not understand mechanicals much- most owners fall in that category. There is a limit on what one could understand on what is required. A service advisor is supposed to know better and is expected to serve the owners. Not that they need to be angels but they are expected to be reasonable. As I said earlier, if this is a trend across service stations something is amiss.
Even a layman can challenge the SA's recommendation. Ask him and understand the job card, confirm if everything is needed as per the manual. Secondly the SA's always suggest and never compel, so if you feel that the charges are too high and not sure if you want to refuse to a few things you can always get back after understanding the details of a specific process from some expert friend or online within an hour or so after you leave your car at the service station.You can either go for it or decline later. But I completely agree on the point that the SA has to serve the owner and suggest the necessary stuff. Most of the stuff they propose is not needed.
Siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 16:31   #252
Senior - BHPian

I have voted yes for this Poll. Yes the service and spares are getting expensive but so is other manufacturers' cars in the same price range. The advantage you get with Maruti is you have MASS at each and every locality hence the total time spent to get the car serviced is far less. I have never left car for servicing overnight. Even if the job card had a significant amount of work it was always completed by the evening on the same day. Any issues or fixes required between services were attended to promptly and have not wasted time there either. With all the stories I hear about lack of appointments and lack of service personnel in other ManufacturerASS,at Maruti one tends to save a lot in terms of time and time is money.

In my 6.5 years of owning Swift D, I might have visited MASS maybe 3-4 times for a repeat issue else all issues were fixed the first time.

With all these I still find Total Cost of Ownership of Maruti is way lesser than the similar cars of other manufacturers.

Last edited by DieselFan : 21st August 2013 at 16:32.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 17:00   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just checking with Skoda cost calculator, for their cheapest car-Fabia (1.2 Elegance), the first service costs Rs. 4808/-.
I still think that Maruti is the cheapest to maintain, if not cheap in its own.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st August 2013 at 17:17.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 17:47   #254
BHPian

^^^ This is a free service, so add the labour to it for a paid service which takes it up further. Additionally, Rs 4808/- is for a minor service. If you consider the major service the charges are 8,583/- . This does not include the usual brake cleaning and decarb deals. Imagine that included! maruti is way cheaper

Last edited by Siddy : 21st August 2013 at 17:50.
Siddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 17:53   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ This is a free service, so add the labour to it for a paid service which takes it up further. Additionally, Rs 4808/- is for a minor service. If you consider the major service the charges are 8,583/- . This does not include the usual brake cleaning and decarb deals. Imagine that included! maruti is way cheaper
Nailed it!
My point is that although the costs of owning a Maruti has increased in the last few years pretty sharply, thanks to the ever increasing labour charges, but still, when you look at the competition, it looks like peanuts.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote